Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Watchdog: Engineers Urged
Grounding 737 Max Faster
Apr 29, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Watchdog: Engineers Urged Grounding 737 Max Faster
Inspector general's report says FAA bosses wanted more data
- The Federal Aviation Administration rejected the recommendation of engineers to immediately ground Boeing's 737 Max after two fatal crashes, preferring to wait for more data, a new inspector general's report says. It was March 13, 2019, three days after the second crash, before the airliner was grounded, CNN...
Say Adieu to the Plane
That 'Shrunk the Globe'
Jan 31, 2023 12:39 PM CST
Say Adieu to the Plane That 'Shrunk the Globe'
Boeing has made its last 747, though the plane could fly for decades more
- The last Boeing 747 is about to roll off the lot. No. 1,574, made for cargo operator Atlas Air, will be handed over in a live webcast ceremony at 4pm ET Tuesday, marking the end of an era in aviation, per CNN . When Boeing 747 test flights began in...
End of an Era: Boeing's
Last 747 Rolls Out of Factory
Dec 8, 2022 12:20 AM CST
End of an Era: Boeing's Last 747 Rolls Out of Factory
Tuesday night marked the end of the production of the iconic jumbo jet
- After more than half a century, the last Boeing 747 rolled out of a Washington state factory on Tuesday, the AP reports. The 747 jumbo jet has taken on numerous roles—a cargo plane, a commercial aircraft capable of carrying nearly 500 passengers, and the Air Force One presidential aircraft—...
Boeing Crashes: Judge Rules
Relatives Are Crime Victims
Oct 23, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Boeing Crashes: Judge Rules Relatives Are Crime Victims
As such, they should have been told about private negotiations between DOJ, Boeing
- A federal judge ruled Friday that relatives of people killed in the crashes of two Boeing 737 Max planes are crime victims under federal law and should have been told about private negotiations with the Justice Department over a settlement that spared Boeing from criminal prosecution. The full impact of...
Boeing Agrees to Pay $200M
in SEC's 737 Investigation
Sep 22, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Boeing Agrees to Pay $200M in SEC's 737 Investigation
Allegations involve misleading statements to company's investors
- Boeing will pay the federal government $200 million to settle an investigation into statements the company and its chief executive made to investors after two fatal crashes of its 737 Max jetliners. The Securities and Exchange Commission also announced Thursday that Dennis Muilenburg, the former CEO, agreed to pay another...
Big 737 Max Order
Jul 18, 2022 5:21 PM CDT
Airline Places Big 737 Max Order
Boeing wants federal certification before rules in response to crashes kick in
- Delta is ordering 100 737 Max 10 airplanes, the largest of the line produced by Boeing, potentially giving the manufacturer momentum after a rollout of its most advanced aircraft that included two fatal crashes. Delta has an option to purchase 30 more of the aircraft as the airline looks to...
Makes It Home
May 20, 2022 3:08 AM CDT
Boeing's Starliner Makes It Home
'On a scale of one to 10, I think I’d give it a 15'
Boeing moved a giant step closer to being able to send astronauts to space on Wednesday with the successful return of its Starliner spacecraft—which had a spacesuit-clad mannequin aboard. After spending five days at the International Space Station, the spacecraft detached from its port and touched down in...
Ryanair CEO Has Some
(Bleeped) Words for Boeing
May 17, 2022 5:45 AM CDT
Ryanair CEO Has Some (Bleeped) Words for Boeing
Michael O'Leary is fed up with delays
- It might be a bit of an understatement to say Ryanair is not happy about the delays it's experiencing with the planes it's ordered from Boeing. In what CNN describes as a "scathing," "expletive-ridden," "obscenity-laden" tirade Monday, the discount airline's CEO, Michael...
to Move HQ
May 5, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Boeing Plans to Move HQ to Virginia
Office will be near the Pentagon, a major customer
- Boeing Co., a leading defense contractor and one of the world's two dominant manufacturers of airline planes, is expected to move its headquarters from Chicago to the Washington, DC, area, according to two people familiar with the matter. The decision could be announced as soon as Thursday, according to...
Trump Really Did Strike a Good
Deal for the 'American People'
Apr 28, 2022 7:03 AM CDT
Trump Really Did Strike a Good Deal for the 'American People'
Word to the wise: think twice about long-term, fixed-cost contracts
- It seems these inflationary times have taught Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun a lesson about fixed-cost contracts. He may have also learned a thing or two about negotiating with Donald Trump. Four years after Boeing agreed to convert two 747s into suitable Air Force Ones, Calhoun openly regretted the deal in...
Boeing 737 Max Test Pilot
Found Not Guilty
Mar 23, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Boeing 737 Max Test Pilot Found Not Guilty
Prosecutors accused Mark Forkner of withholding 'critical information' from FAA
: Mark A. Forkner, a former Boeing test pilot, was acquitted Wednesday of four counts of wire fraud by a Texas jury, the AP reports. Prosecutors said Forkner, the chief technical pilot for the development of the 737 Max, lied to the FAA about how much pilot training would be...
At China Eastern Crash Site,
Only Remnants of Lives Lost
Mar 22, 2022 6:38 AM CDT
At China Eastern Crash Site, Only Remnants of Lives Lost
No survivors found at remote crash site that left a pit in a mountainside
- Mud-stained wallets. Bank cards. Official identity cards. Some of the personal effects of 132 lives presumed lost were lined up by rescue workers scouring a remote mountainside Tuesday for the wreckage of a China Eastern plane that one day earlier inexplicably fell from the sky and burst into a fireball...
Crashes in China
Mar 21, 2022 5:17 AM CDT
Boeing 737 Crashes in China
132 people were aboard, but there's no word yet on casualties
- A China Eastern Boeing 737-800 with 132 people on board crashed in the southern province of Guangxi on Monday, officials said. The Civil Aviation Administration of China said the crash occurred near the city of Wuzhou in Teng county, per the AP . The flight was traveling from Kunming in the...
Dreamliner Delay Cuts Into
American's International Flights
Dec 9, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Dreamliner Delay Cuts Into American's International Flights
Boeing hasn't delivered any of the jetliners in a year
- American Airlines is dropping some international flights for next summer because Boeing has failed to deliver planes that the airline ordered, according to an internal memo Thursday. Boeing has been unable to deliver its 787 jetliner, which it calls the Dreamliner, for about a year because of a series of...
Boeing to Employees:
Get Vaccinated by Dec. 8
Oct 13, 2021 1:16 AM CDT
Boeing to Employees: Get Vaccinated by Dec. 8
Company could face pushback
- The latest company to announce a vaccine mandate: Boeing. The aerospace company told employees Tuesday they must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Dec. 8, the
reports. "Compliance with these requirements is a condition of employment," reads the internal message, and any unvaccinated workers without an...
Boeing, Pfizer Rise
After Profit Reports
Jul 28, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Boeing, Pfizer Rise After Profit Reports
Markets had mixed reaction to latest Fed statement
- Stocks ended a wobbly day with mixed results Wednesday after the Federal Reserve said it was seeing improvement in the economy , but not enough to start dialing down its support for it. The S&P 500 ended little changed after giving up a brief gain in the afternoon. The latest...
United Airlines Just Made
a Huge Bet on Travel
Jun 29, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
United Airlines Just Made a Huge Bet on Travel
Company orders 270 new planes, most in its history
- Air travel is back. Just ask United Airlines. The company has placed the biggest jet order in its history, and the biggest for any US airline since 2011. The purchase of 270 new single-aisle planes from Boeing and Airbus has a two-fold purpose: to replace some aging aircraft as well...
Aboard That Scary Flight:
'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Feb 23, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Aboard That Scary Flight: 'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Investigators trying to understand why fan blades broke, and not for the first time
- It's a small miracle nobody was hurt or killed in Colorado over the weekend after an engine blew on a United jet and rained huge pieces of debris on neighborhoods near the Denver International Airport. In fact, one of the engine's fan blades came down on a soccer...
After Plane Disaster in Denver,
Bad News for Boeing's 777s
Feb 22, 2021 6:11 AM CST
After Plane Disaster in Denver, Bad News for Boeing's 777s
Company calls for 128 planes with Pratt & Whitney engines to be grounded
- It hasn't been a good couple of years for Boeing , but the beleaguered airplane manufacturer had just started to turn things around, getting its Boeing 737 Max back up in US skies and trying to move on from the crisis surrounding that plane model . Now, a backslide after a...
Boeing's 'Slap on the Wrist'
for 737 Max Debacle: $2.5B
Jan 8, 2021 9:38 AM CST
Boeing's 'Slap on the Wrist' for 737 Max Debacle: $2.5B
Company will avoid criminal charges from DOJ if it adheres to terms of settlement
- Boeing will pay $2.5 billion to settle a Justice Department investigation and admit that employees misled regulators about the safety of its 737 Max aircraft, which suffered two deadly crashes shortly after entering airline service. Under the settlement announced Thursday, Boeing will pay a $243.6 million fine, $1....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.