Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Why Former First
Lady Has Said
Goodbye to 'Michelle
Nov 12, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Why Former First Lady Has Said Goodbye to 'Michelle Obama Arms'
58-year-old is talking menopause to get other women to do the same
- Michelle Obama's new book,
The Light We Carry
, is due out Tuesday, but she's had something else on her mind lately as well. The former first lady "gets real about menopause" in an interview with
, hoping that her own experiences will spur other women to open...
to White House,
Sep 7, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
Obamas Return to White House, Unveil Portraits
Tradition was skipped during Trump administration
- For the first time since 2012, a former president has returned to the White House for the unveiling of an official portrait. Barack and Michelle Obama were invited to the White House for a Wednesday ceremony in the East Room, where the public saw their portraits for the first time,...
'Discovering Deeper Truths' at
Heart of Obama's New Book
Jul 21, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'Discovering Deeper Truths' at Heart of Obama's New Book
Former first lady's 'The Light We Carry' will be out on Nov. 15, 4 years after blockbuster 'Becoming'
- Michelle Obama will have a book out this fall,
The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times
, in which she reflects upon her experiences and shares insights on navigating an increasingly stressful world. It's the former first lady's first entirely new work since the 2018 release of
Obamas Respond to
Roe v. Wade Opinion
May 4, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Obamas Respond to Roe v. Wade Opinion
They argue illegal abortions will risk health and lives
- The Supreme Court looks poised to "reverse nearly 50 years of precedent " and "relegate the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues," according to former President Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, who've issued a concerned statement...
Meet Sasha Obama's Boyfriend
Apr 22, 2022 1:32 AM CDT
Meet Sasha Obama's Boyfriend
It's former college basketball player Clifton Powell Jr.
- Former first daughter Sasha Obama is dating former college basketball player Clifton Powell Jr., TMZ reports. Obama, 20, and Powell, 24, reportedly got together after Obama transferred from the University of Michigan to the University of Southern California. Powell, son of actor Clifton Powell Sr., played basketball for the University...
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues
His Sons' Milwaukee School
Apr 19, 2022 6:22 PM CDT
Michelle Obama's Brother Sues His Sons' Milwaukee School
He claims it refused to allow sons to re-enroll after couple voiced allegations of racial bias
- The brother of former first lady Michelle Obama and his wife are suing a private Milwaukee school, alleging it refused to allow their two sons to re-enroll after they voiced concerns that racism and inappropriate conduct at the school had not been satisfactorily addressed. In a civil lawsuit filed Monday...
Viola Davis Worried About
One Specific Critic in New Role
Apr 18, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Viola Davis Worried About One Specific Critic in New Role
'I’m mostly terrified about what she will think,' actor says of Michelle Obama
- The new Showtime series
The First Lady
premiered Sunday, a show that features Viola Davis as Michelle Obama, Gillian Anderson as Eleanor Roosevelt, and Michelle Pfeiffer as Betty Ford. Unlike Anderson and Pfeiffer, Davis is portraying somebody who is still very much alive and well, and she spoke to
Mar 13, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Obama Says He's 'Feeling Fine' After Positive Test
Former president reports his only COVID symptom so far is 'a scratchy throat'
- Former President Barack Obama announced Sunday that he tested positive for COVID-19 but so far has just one symptom. "I've had a scratchy throat for a couple days," he tweeted , "but am feeling fine otherwise." The former president said he and his wife, Michelle, are...
Feb 18, 2022 1:24 PM CST
Viola Davis Morphs Into Michelle Obama in
Upcoming Showtime drama offers a peek
- What's it like to be married to the president of the United States? An upcoming TV drama examines that life behind the curtains at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., drawn from the perspectives of Michelle Obama, Betty Ford, and Eleanor Roosevelt, per the BBC . A new trailer for
After 5 Years, Obamas
Break Ground on
Sep 28, 2021 6:13 PM CDT
After 5 Years, Obamas Break Ground on Presidential Center
Former president say it's his way of giving back to Chicago's South Side
- After five years of legal battles, gentrification concerns, and a federal review, Barack and Michelle Obama dug shovels into the ground Tuesday during a celebratory groundbreaking on their legacy project in a lakefront Chicago park. Construction on the Obama Presidential Center along Lake Michigan, near the Obama family home and...
It Will Say
on the Obama
Mar 8, 2021 3:15 AM CST
Here's What It Will Say on the Obama Presidential Center
Words from the 44th president's 2015 speech in Selma
- The Obama Foundation on Sunday revealed the passage that will be inscribed on the outside of the Obama Presidential Center when it opens in Chicago, ABC 7 reports. Per the Week , the words are from then-President Obama's 2015 speech in Selma, Ala., on the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday....
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Melania Shops Around
Book Deal, Source says
Nov 29, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Melania Shops Around Book Deal, Source says
'It would be her money,' a source tells the New York Post
- Melania Trump is apparently shopping around a book deal with the full support of her husband, Business Insider reports. "Melania is in meetings to write her White House memoir," an unidentified source tells the
New York Post
. "And it would be her money—a chance for her...
Oct 6, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Michelle Obama on Trump Assertions: 'Racist'
Former first lady makes her 'closing argument' for Joe Biden
- Michelle Obama is out with a 24-minute "closing argument" video on the 2020 race in which she makes her pitch for Joe Biden. In it, the former first lady levels some serious criticism against President Trump. The president is "lying about how minorities will destroy the suburbs, whipping...
Sep 17, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
'Extraordinary' Demand for Obama Memoir Expected
No. 44's 'A Promised Land' is due out Nov. 17, right after the election
- A release date has been set for the first part of former President Obama's memoir, and demand is expected to be "extraordinary," the
New York Times
A Promised Land
, the 768-page first installation of a two-volume set, will debut globally on Nov. 17 via Penguin Random...
Michelle Obama's Other Big
Message: It's in the Necklace
Aug 18, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Michelle Obama's Other Big Message: It's in the Necklace
Her 'vote' necklace goes viral as she encourages people to turn out in person
- Michelle Obama took plenty of pointed jabs at President Trump Monday night, and he took notice . But another aspect of the former first lady's speech for the Democratic National Convention is generating lots of attention—and it involves her words and her necklace. Coverage:
Trump to Michelle: 'Thanks
for Your Very Kind Words'
Aug 18, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Trump to Michelle: 'Thanks for Your Very Kind Words'
President has sarcastic response to former first lady, but also calls speech 'very divisive'
- Michelle Obama went after President Trump in blunt fashion during the Democratic National Convention on Monday night, and the president took notice. "She gets these fawning reviews," the president said at the White House, per the Hill . "If you gave a real review it wouldn't be...
One Convention Takeaway:
5 Words From Michelle Obama
Aug 18, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
One Convention Takeaway: 5 Words From Michelle Obama
She turns 'it is what it is' around on the president
- Much of the analysis from the first night of the Democratic convention centers on the closing speech from Michelle Obama. (Watch it in full here, via CNN .) Examples of reaction on that and more:
At Politico , Ryan Lizza thinks "this is surely the first time a
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans
Speak Up for Biden
Aug 18, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
DNC, Night One: 4 Republicans Speak Up for Biden
Plus Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, and more
- The most unusual political convention to date is underway—the Democrats' all-virtual affair leading to the coronation of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on Thursday night. Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders spoke Monday night, along with a rarity—a Republican, former Ohio governor (and 2016 presidential candidate) John Kasich, who...
We Need to Talk
About the M-Word
in case you missed it
Aug 16, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Michelle Obama: We Need to Talk About the M-Word
Former first lady describes going through menopause at the White House
- Michelle Obama was cruising on Marine One when it hit her: a hot flash that felt "like somebody put a furnace in my core and turned it on high. And then everything started melting." In that moment, the first lady, who was about to walk into an event,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.