Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
As Assaults Rise, Hospital
Buys Staff Panic Buttons
Sep 29, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
As Assaults Rise, Hospital Buys Staff Panic Buttons
Attacks on health care workers have jumped since COVID hit
- Nurses and hundreds of other staff members will soon begin wearing panic buttons at a Missouri hospital where assaults on workers tripled after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Cox Medical Center Branson is using grant money to add buttons to identification badges worn by up to 400 employees who...
Vaccine Mandate Could Mean
Mass Firings At NY Hospitals
Sep 26, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
Vaccine Mandate Could Mean Mass Firings At NY Hospitals
Workers still refuse jabs as Monday deadline looms
- A Monday deadline is looming for New York hospital workers to be vaccinated for COVID-19, causing some hospitals in the state to worry mass firings are on the horizon as some continue to refuse to get the shots. Per the
New York Times
, a serious example of these fears can...
As Delta Rages, Alaska
Starts Critical Care Standards
Sep 23, 2021 6:58 AM CDT
As Delta Rages, Alaska Starts Critical Care Standards
With hospitals already overwhelmed, state begins prioritizing patients who will benefit the most
- Alaska, now recording the highest COVID-19 case rate per capita of any US state, is activating crisis standards of care with short-staffed hospitals overwhelmed. The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services on Wednesday announced an addendum to the state's existing COVID-19 public health order that grants limited liability...
New Zealand PM
Sep 9, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
New Zealand PM Gets Eyebrow-Raising COVID Query
Jacinda Ardern doesn't think COVID patients, or any patients, should have sex in hospital
- Jacinda Ardern is known for keeping her poker-faced composure in even the most stressful situations, but a question posed at a COVID news conference this week led the New Zealand prime minister through what the
describes as a "full range of emotions." At the presser, a reporter...
'Hospitals Are Full
From Memphis to
Natchez to Gulfport'
Aug 12, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
'Hospitals Are Full From Memphis to Natchez to Gulfport'
Hospital leaders say delta surge has pushed Mississippi system to breaking point
- Mississippi's hospital system is buckling under a record-breaking load of COVID infections, a University of Mississippi Medical Center official is warning. Dr. Alan Jones, UMMC's COVID response leader, said Wednesday that case numbers and hospitalizations have soared over the last week, and "if we continue that trajectory...
Texas to Use
as COVID Surges
Aug 10, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
Texas to Use Out-of-State Medical Workers as COVID Surges
Gov. Greg Abbott also asks hospitals to voluntarily postpone elective surgeries to clear up beds
- As COVID cases surge in Texas, with some of its largest school districts defying Greg Abbott's mask mandates ban so they can combat that surge, the governor is now confronting a different problem related to the spike. On Monday, Abbott announced he'd reached out to the Texas Hospital...
This Week, a 'Turning
Point' on Vaccinations
Jul 27, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
This Week, a 'Turning Point' on Vaccinations
As case numbers rise once again, vaccine mandates gain support
- The US has reached a turning point in the pandemic, with businesses, state governments, and even a federal government agency now backing mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for employees. How'd we get here?
"With vaccination rates stagnating and the delta variant driving yet another wave of cases,
'They Do Not Care': Hackers
Love Hospitals as Targets
Jun 13, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
'They Do Not Care': Hackers Love Hospitals as Targets
Security is lax and the stakes are high, explains Wall Street Journal in an investigation
- Last week, the FBI chief put the threat posed by ransomware on par with the 9/11 attacks. If that seemed like hyperbole, an investigation by the
Wall Street Journal
might shed some light on his thinking. The newspaper catalogs 235 attacks on hospitals and psychiatric centers in the US since...
Amid Texas Chaos,
a New Calamity
Feb 18, 2021 6:49 AM CST
Amid Texas Chaos, a New Calamity
Hospitals are running out of water
- The chaos in Texas amid freezing weather that has left millions in the cold and dark has made its way to the state's hospitals. One issue that has caused things to become especially dire at medical centers: a lack of running water, resulting in problems ranging from low water...
to Take Patients
Jan 10, 2021 11:30 AM CST
Convention Center to Take Patients
Austin again prepares alternate care site as COVID-19 cases surge
- Austin has decided it needs a hospital more than it needs a convention center right now. With Travis County, the city is preparing the Austin Convention Center as an alternate care site for patients. It will admit people needing lesser care, to ease the crunch at hospitals in the area....
Surge in LA,
a 'Health Care
Jan 5, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Amid COVID Surge in LA, a 'Health Care Nightmare'
Hospitals are having to make 'tough decisions' about patient care
- The spike of COVID cases in Los Angeles County has brought hospitals there to a "point of crisis," according to the county's health services chief, with hospitals discharging people more quickly than usual to make room for new patients, and several area hospitals declaring "internal disasters"...
Corps of Engineers to Help
LA Hospitals With Oxygen
Jan 2, 2021 5:45 PM CST
Corps of Engineers to Help LA Hospitals With Oxygen
Deluge of patients has strained delivery systems in older buildings
- Los Angeles County hospitals that are overrun with COVID-19 patients and struggling to provide them with oxygen are getting help. Crews from the Army Corps of Engineers are going to work on oxygen-delivery systems at several hospitals, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. At least five hospitals had closed to ambulance...
to Black Doctor's
Jan 1, 2021 12:30 PM CST
Critics: Hospital CEO's Response to Black Doctor's Death 'Ridiculous'
Dennis Murphy cites a 'complex picture' leading to death of Dr. Susan Moore, but others push back
- The head of an Indiana hospital has addressed the allegations of Dr. Susan Moore, a Black medical doctor who died last month from coronavirus complications after accusing a doctor and other hospital staff of being biased in their treatment of her—but his comments have only fueled the controversy. In...
Hospitals Run Short of Oxygen
as LA County Deals With Surge
Dec 25, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Hospitals Run Short of Oxygen as LA County Deals With Surge
'It's so much worse than before,' an ICU nurse says
- Hospitals in Los Angeles County are running out of oxygen for treating COVID-19 patients, and they're already out of intensive care beds. With patients waiting for hours in ambulances outside the hospitals to be admitted, health officials are asking people to stay away from emergency rooms and not call...
SF Supervisors Want to
Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
Dec 17, 2020 10:45 AM CST
SF Supervisors Want to Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
They accuse Facebook of 'endangering public health' with COVID misinformation
- A $75 million donation to a hospital wasn't enough to earn Mark Zuckerberg a like from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. The board voted 10-1 this week to condemn the naming of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital after the Facebook founder, Business Insider reports. The hospital's full...
After COVID Vaccine's Arrival,
Hospital's 'Rare Moment' of Joy
Dec 15, 2020 7:28 AM CST
After COVID Vaccine's Arrival, Hospital's 'Rare Moment' of Joy
Staff at Boston Medical Center bust out the dance moves to Lizzo's 'Good as Hell'
- Boston Medical Center was one of the first hospitals in Massachusetts to receive a shipment of the coronavirus vaccine Monday, and the 1,950 doses will start to be divvied out to front-line health care workers starting Wednesday, NBC Boston reports. After the delivery was made, however, something else happened:...
In Stretched Utah ICUs,
a 'Heartbreaking' Prediction
Nov 23, 2020 7:17 AM CST
In Stretched Utah ICUs, a 'Heartbreaking' Prediction
Hospitals have informally begun rationing care, and a further COVID surge is anticipated
- Last month, hospital administrators started preparing for overflowing intensive-care units by setting up crisis criteria that, amid a predicted surge in COVID-19 patients, would help them prioritize who gets to stay in the ICU and who doesn't. There are still ICU beds in the state available, but very few...
In This State,
a 'Grim List'
Amid COVID Spike
Oct 26, 2020 8:01 AM CDT
In This State, a 'Grim List' Amid COVID Spike
Hospitals will likely soon have to choose which patients get booted from ICUs and which stay
- Utah Gov. Gary Herbert was presented Thursday with what the
Salt Lake Tribune
calls a "grim list" from hospital administrators, amid a record number of COVID-19 cases in the state. On that list are triage protocols known as "crisis standards of care," which Herbert would need to...
Near the Brink
Oct 21, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
COVID Highs Push Hospitals Near the Brink
'We'll run into some difficult decisions to make'
- Hospitals across the US are starting to buckle from a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, with several states setting records for the number of people hospitalized and leaders scrambling to find extra beds and staff, the AP reports. New highs in cases have been reported in states big and small—from...
This Is Worse
Jul 18, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Texas Doctor: This Is Worse Than During Hurricane Harvey
New coronavirus cases are swamping hospital emergency rooms in some parts of the country
- A fast-rising rising tide of new coronavirus cases is flooding emergency rooms in parts of the US, with some patients moved into hallways and nurses working extra shifts to keep up with the surge. Patients struggling to breathe are being placed on ventilators in emergency wards since intensive care units...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.