Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
Turns to GoFundMe
Sep 14, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Cash-Strapped Hospital Turns to GoFundMe
CEO struggling to meet payroll sets $1.5M goal
- The CEO of a small, independent hospital in Pennsylvania wrote to government officials in the area last month about the dire financial straits Bucktail Medical Center was in. Tim Reeves reminded them that he'd kept them informed about the deteriorating situation, the
Lock Haven Express
reports, and that he...
Arrested at Fundraiser
Aug 12, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Arrested at Fundraiser
Anti-government activist has been embroiled in defamation case brought by Idaho hospital
- Ammon Bundy has been arrested in Idaho. KTVB reports that the 47-year-old anti-government extremist was taken into custody Friday night while attending a high school football fundraiser in Emmett. The station has video of an annoyed-looking Bundy being handcuffed and led away by law enforcement. Bundy was arrested on a...
Hospital ERs to Close
Aug 4, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Cyberattack Forces Hospital ERs to Close
Locations in multiple states are affected
- A cyberattack has disrupted hospital computer systems in multiple states, forcing some emergency rooms to close and ambulances to be diverted, and many primary care services remained closed on Friday as security experts worked to determine the extent of the problem and resolve it. The data security attack began Thursday...
Bagels Caused Drug Tests
to Be Positive, Women Say
Mar 20, 2023 4:23 PM CDT
Bagels Caused Drug Tests to Be Positive, Women Say
Civil rights complaint says hospitals launched investigations based on bad results
- It was the poppy seeds on their breakfast bagels, say two New Jersey women who tested positive for opiate use. But the issue isn't so much the false positives as it is the drug tests. The women say they didn't consent to the tests during their hospital stays,...
They Came In With Paddles to
Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Nov 29, 2022 10:30 AM CST
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Family says dad died after fireball caused by defibrillator in Nashville hospital
- A Tennessee woman says her husband died on Thanksgiving after catching fire in a Nashville hospital, and now his family is speaking out to prevent something like this from happening again. Kathy Stark tells WKRN that earlier this month she had her spouse of 35 years, Bobby Ray, brought to...
Mom of Hospital Escapee:
'Terrified for the Community'
Jun 30, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Texas man found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing his dad escapes from North Texas hospital
- A Texas man acquitted eight years ago of murdering his father by reason of insanity has fled the hospital where he was being held, and his mom says she's "terrified" for him, their family, and the community at large. "I never, ever imagined that he would ever...
Doctor, 2 Nurses
Stabbed at LA Hospital
Jun 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor, 2 Nurses Stabbed at LA Hospital
Suspect taken into custody after attack at Encino Hospital Medical Center; victims hospitalized
- Chaos unfolded at a Los Angeles hospital Friday after police say a man walked in and stabbed a doctor and two nurses. Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton of the LAPD tells KTLA that the suspect entered Encino Hospital Medical Center shortly before 4pm local time to "seek treatment" after a...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
of Nurse Sets
Mar 30, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Advocates: Conviction of Nurse Sets Progress Back
Verdict could encourage hospitals to cover up mistakes
- The moment nurse RaDonda Vaught realized she had given a patient the wrong medication, she rushed to the doctors working to revive 75-year-old Charlene Murphey and told them what she had done. Within hours, she made a full report of her mistake to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Murphey died...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Dec 24, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Children's Hospitals Fill Up
Number of pediatric COVID patients has risen 13% in 10 days
- Children largely escaped illness during last winter's COVID-19 surge. Not this time. In many parts of the nation, pediatric hospitals already are dealing with a surge in admissions, now that the omicron variant has arrived before their delta patients have recovered and gone home, the
Health Care Workers Can Get
Back on the Job Sooner
Dec 23, 2021 7:20 PM CST
Health Care Workers Can Get Back on the Job Sooner
CDC shortens isolation period after positive COVID test
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention relaxed a pandemic rule for health care workers on Thursday, but it's not because COVID-19 is under control. Fearing hospital staffs will be overwhelmed by the surge in cases, the CDC will allow workers who tested positive for the disease to end...
Biden to Announce
500M Free COVID Tests
Dec 21, 2021 6:42 AM CST
Biden to Announce 500M Free COVID Tests
They're to be delivered by mail to Americans who request them: officials
- President Biden will reportedly announce the purchase of half a billion at-home rapid COVID-19 tests, which are to be delivered for free to Americans who request them, in a nationwide speech Tuesday amid soaring cases of the omicron variant. An administration official said Americans will be able to request tests,...
on COVID: 'Help'
Dec 20, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Ohio Hospitals' One-Word Plea on COVID: 'Help'
Medical centers in Cleveland area, Minnesota beg people to get vaxxed in major newspaper ads
- One word dominates a full-page advertisement that appeared in Sunday's
, Ohio's biggest newspaper. "Help," reads the bold-font plea, surrounded by white space, smack in the middle of the ad placed by the heads of six of the Cleveland area's medical facilities to try...
Some Hospitals Are
Ditching Vaccine Mandates
Dec 13, 2021 1:19 PM CST
Some Hospitals Are Ditching Vaccine Mandates
There has been an 'exodus' of nurses in recent months
- Some hospitals facing staff shortages and surges in COVID cases have decided that unvaccinated workers are better than no workers. Hospital operators, including some of America's largest, have been dropping vaccine mandates to retain or attract workers, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden's workplace vaccine mandate has...
Hospital Bills Woman
$700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Hospital Bills Woman $700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
Georgia woman Taylor Davis left without being seen
- For $100 an hour, Georgia woman Taylor Davis could have visited an upscale spa. Instead, that was how much she was charged for sitting in an emergency room, waiting to be seen. Davis tells Fox 5 that she went to the ER at Emory Decatur Hospital in July with a...
Oct 28, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Doctor Sleeps Through Surgery
Boston surgeon ate in his car, then nodded off
- A wait for a doctor can be long, but it was especially painful for a patient needing emergency ankle surgery at Boston Medical Center. The patient had been taken into an operating room by two doctors, one of whom then said he had to eat first. He left, went to...
Hospitals to Charge
Oct 3, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Hospitals to Charge Employees for Unvaccinated Partners
Louisiana health care system to dock workers $100 per pay period
- Employees of a hospital system in Louisiana are facing a possible increase in their health care costs: $100 will be deducted from every paycheck if their spouse or partner on their plan isn't vaccinated for COVID-19. Ochsner Health workers already have an Oct. 29 deadline for being fully vaccinated...
As Assaults Rise, Hospital
Buys Staff Panic Buttons
Sep 29, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
As Assaults Rise, Hospital Buys Staff Panic Buttons
Attacks on health care workers have jumped since COVID hit
- Nurses and hundreds of other staff members will soon begin wearing panic buttons at a Missouri hospital where assaults on workers tripled after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Cox Medical Center Branson is using grant money to add buttons to identification badges worn by up to 400 employees who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.