Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Guy's Dinner Find: Pricey
Pearl in a Clamshell
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 5, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Guy's Dinner Find: Pricey Pearl in a Clamshell
'It's like a once in a lifetime event' for NJ's Michael and Maria Spressler
- Michael Spressler thought he'd cracked a molar after biting into a raw clam at his favorite South Jersey restaurant. "But then when I poked it out into the palm of my hand, it was a perfectly round white pearl." That pearl might just cover the cost of...
Other Teen in Mall Fight
Says Cops Were Racist
Feb 21, 2022 2:38 PM CST
Other Teen in Mall Fight Says Cops Were Racist
'I don’t understand why they arrested him and not me,' he says of Black teen
- One of two teenagers involved in a fight at a New Jersey mall earlier this month says he isn't white—but he agrees that it was racist for police to give him better treatment than the Black teenager he traded blows with. Video from the Bridgewater Commons Mall shows...
2 Teens Fought at
a New Jersey Mall.
Now, a Controversy
Feb 16, 2022 2:21 PM CST
2 Teens Fought at a New Jersey Mall. Now, a Controversy
A Black teen was handcuffed, while a white teen was put on a couch to sit
- Two teens fought at a New Jersey mall, and two police officers intervened—with one teen ending up handcuffed on the ground while the other was left to sit on a couch. The issue: The handcuffed teen is Black, the other white. The Bridgewater police response to the incident at...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
2 Democratic Governors
Drop School Mask Mandates
Feb 7, 2022 11:51 AM CST
2 Democratic Governors Drop School Mask Mandates
New Jersey and Delaware are the latest
- New Jersey is dropping its requirement that students and staffers wear masks at schools, reports NJ.com . The news was seen as significant because Gov. Phil Murphy is a Democrat "who has imposed some of the nation’s most stringent pandemic-related mandates," per the
New York Times
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze
'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Jan 15, 2022 8:15 AM CST
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze 'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Luckily, only one minor injury reported so far as firefighters continue battling fire at Passaic plant
- An 11-alarm fire that broke out Friday night at a New Jersey industrial complex continued to burn into Saturday morning, but hundreds of firefighters were able to keep the blaze from reaching the main portion of a chemical plant on-site and had contained the fire as of 7am, Passaic Mayor...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
'Stunning Turnaround' for
NJ Mom Convicted of Murder
Dec 28, 2021 3:25 PM CST
'Stunning Turnaround' for NJ Mom Convicted of Murder
State's top court overturns Michele Lodzinski's conviction for killing son
- A New Jersey woman convicted by a jury in 2016 of the murder of her 5-year-old son 15 years earlier had her conviction thrown out on Tuesday. In what the AP calls a "stunning turnaround" for 54-year-old Michelle Lodzinski, New Jersey's Supreme Court decided that prosecutors had failed...
Prosecutors: Cop Hit Man,
Put Body in Car, Drove Home
Nov 25, 2021 7:50 AM CST
Prosecutors: Cop Hit Man, Put Body in Car, Drove Home
Newark officer Louis Santiago allegedly took the body to his house
- An off-duty New Jersey police officer stands accused of hitting and killing a pedestrian in the middle of the night earlier this month—and then putting the dead man's body in his car and taking it home to debate what to do about it. NBC News reports Newark officer...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Among His Last Alleged Acts:
Killing Daughter With a Bat
Nov 24, 2021 12:01 PM CST
Among His Last Alleged Acts: Killing Daughter With a Bat
NJ's Gregory Keleman found dead of suspected suicide on Tuesday
- A New Jersey man accused of beating his daughter to death with a baseball bat and critically injuring his wife in the same attack has been found dead following a manhunt. Gregory Keleman, 57, who was found Tuesday in a wooded area about a mile from the family's home...
Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Nov 21, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Starbucks Worker Tests Positive for Hepatitis
Customers at a New Jersey location should get vaccinated, health officials say
- An employee at a New Jersey Starbucks kept working after testing positive for hepatitis A, health officials say—and even handled food. Thousands of people could be at risk, and Camden County officials advise customers to get vaccinated within 14 days of their visit, CNN reports. The Blackwood Clementon Road...
Accepts His Fate
Nov 10, 2021 4:30 PM CST
New Jersey Senate Leader Accepts His Fate
Truck driver unseats legislative fixture Stephen Sweeney without party's help
"All votes have been fairly counted, and I, of course, accept the results." So conceded longtime New Jersey State Senate President Stephen Sweeney on Wednesday in officially accepting his defeat by a truck driver with no political experience. He described his loss by around 2,000 votes...
to New Jersey: 'I Blew It'
Nov 5, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
Pollster Apologizes to New Jersey: 'I Blew It'
Monmouth's Patrick Murray acknowledges late poll was way off in governor's race
- Less than a week before Election Day, Monmouth University put out a poll showing that New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy had a comfortable lead of 11 points over GOP challenger Jack Ciattarelli. The race turned out to be much, much closer—the AP has indeed called it for Murphy , but...
Democrats a Victory
Nov 3, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Murphy Gives Democrats a Victory
Republican doesn't concede after AP calls race for incumbent
- Gov. Phil Murphy narrowly won reelection in New Jersey after a campaign in which vaccine and mask mandates became a central issue. The AP called the race for Murphy on Wednesday evening, with about 90% of the ballots counted, once most of the remaining ballots were due to come from...
Shocker in NJ:
Can't Be Called Yet
Nov 3, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Shocker in NJ: Governor Race Can't Be Called Yet
It's 'virtually deadlocked' with 98% of precincts in
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy was "once seen as a shoo-in" for another go-round as governor, reports NJ.com . Even as his hefty edge narrowed in recent days, polls still had him up 4 to 11 percentage points over Republican challenger Jack Ciattarelli, the state has 1 million more...
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.