Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Jersey Lawmaker
Murdered Near Her Home
Feb 2, 2023 12:30 PM CST
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Police investigate the slaying of Eunice Dwumfour, 30, of Sayreville
- A 30-year-old councilwoman in New Jersey has been shot to death, and police in Sayreville are attempting to figure out why. Coverage:
Eunice Dwumfour, a member of the Sayreville Borough Council, was shot multiple times Wednesday evening while in her SUV outside her own home, reports NJ.com
Yale Honors Girl Scientist
Who Had Cops Called on Her
Jan 31, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Yale Honors Girl Scientist Who Had Cops Called on Her
Bobbi Wilson's lanternflies added to university's collection
- Yale University has honored the 9-year-old girl whose neighbor reported her to police for working on a science project. The October incident in Caldwell, New Jersey, "touched off a national discussion about racial profiling," per the
, which reports Bobbi Wilson was spraying an insecticide outside her home...
Woman, 29, Arrested After
Enrolling at NJ High School
Jan 26, 2023 6:31 AM CST
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Hyejeong Shin attended classes for 4 days after providing false documents, police say
- Students at a New Jersey high school say they're feeling unsafe after a woman pretending to be almost half her age was admitted to the school and attended classes for four days before the ruse was detected. Hyejeong Shin, 29, was arrested last week and charged with one count...
Cops: Middle School
Art Teacher ODs in
Front of Students
Jan 9, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Cops: Middle School Art Teacher ODs in Front of Students
They allegedly watched as school nurse treated him for fentanyl on classroom floor
- On the morning of Nov. 29, a New Jersey middle school art teacher allegedly overdosed on fentanyl in front of his students. Police say Frank Thompson, 57, "was discovered and observed in distress by students" and was "unconscious and unresponsive" on the floor of a Roosevelt Intermediate School...
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
Netflix to Make
Investment in Jersey
Dec 22, 2022 7:22 AM CST
Netflix to Make 'Transformative' Investment in Jersey
Streaming company is planning $900M facility at former Army base at Jersey Shore
- Netflix said Wednesday it plans to build a state-of-the-art production facility at a former Army base at the Jersey Shore that will cost more than $900 million and create thousands of jobs. The California-based company will pay $55 million for a 292-acre site on the former Fort Monmouth military base...
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes
Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
Dec 19, 2022 4:48 PM CST
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
New Jersey official says she didn't meet residency requirement and voted for his opponent
- A Republican township official in New Jersey who lost reelection by three votes wants the mail-in ballot cast by his daughter, who voted Democratic in the Nov. 8 election, thrown out. The Republican Party of Morris County maintains that several young Democrats cast ballots by mail though they didn't...
Cops Alerted to
Alleged Puppy Mill
Dec 5, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Cops Alerted to Alleged Puppy Mill Smelled Odor From Driveway
They say 180 animals were found in Brick Township home in New Jersey
- New Jersey police officers who arrived at a Brick Township home Friday night after receiving a tip about a possible puppy mill spoke with two women in the home's driveway—and could smell what was inside, reports NJ.com . Upon entering the home, the stench and conditions were such...
A Boardwalk Landmark
Is Shutting Down
Dec 1, 2022 6:55 PM CST
A Boardwalk Landmark Is Shutting Down
Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum in Atlantic City will close Dec. 31
- Believe it or not, an iconic part of the Atlantic City Boardwalk is closing soon. The Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum said Thursday that it will close on Dec. 31 after more than 26 years of tempting Boardwalk strollers with oddities including shrunken heads, mutant animals and models...
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
This State's Road Signs
Were Too Much for the Feds
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2022 3:55 PM CST
This State's Road Signs Were Too Much for the Feds
New Jersey DOT forced by FHWA to take down humorous messages promoting highway safety
- Quirky highway signs described as "quintessential New Jersey" that were designed to raise awareness on road safety have been getting the thumbs-up from motorists in the Garden State. But the feds apparently didn't approve and reportedly directed them to be switched off. "Hold on to your butts—...
Suspect Charged in
Nov 10, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Suspect Charged in Synagogue Threat
Prosecutor says suspect shared document reflecting his 'hatred of Jews'
- An 18-year-old New Jersey man has been charged with threatening to attack a synagogue last week. The FBI had issued a warning after receiving what it called a broad threat to the state's synagogues. Prosecutors said Thursday that Omar Alkattoul of Sayreville had shared links to a document he'...
FBI: Threat to
Nov 4, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
FBI: Threat to NJ Synagogues Is Resolved
Agents say they questioned a man with radical views but don't specify whether he's in custody
- Religious leaders in New Jersey were assured Friday by the FBI that the threat to synagogues they were warned about the day before no longer exists. The agent in charge of the agency's Newark office said the FBI had identified a man who holds "radical extremist views,"...
the Guy—the Bad Guy'
Nov 2, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
'They've Caught the Guy—the Bad Guy'
Kendall Howard of East Orange, NJ, allegedly shot 2 cops on Tuesday
"Within the past half-hour, they’ve caught the guy—the bad guy," New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy declared Wednesday in reference to the man suspected of shooting two police officers on Tuesday. Kendall Howard, 30, was taken into custody late morning, reports NJ.com . SWAT team members...
Dr. Oz Mocked After
Nov 2, 2022 1:27 AM CDT
Dr. Oz Mocked After 'Atlantic Coast' Comment
Pennsylvania is not on the Atlantic coast
- Dr. Mehmet Oz has long come under scrutiny over the question of whether he's actually a "carpetbagger" from New Jersey running for Senate in neighboring Pennsylvania, and his latest comment isn't helping much with that issue. Speaking with Sean Hannity on Fox News Monday, Oz said, "...
Muslim Student in NJ
Sues Over Teacher's Remark
Oct 25, 2022 6:53 PM CDT
Muslim Student in NJ Sues Over Teacher's Remark
He says he asked for more time to finish assignment and was told, 'We don't negotiate with terrorists'
: A Muslim student in New Jersey is suing a district and a teacher, saying he was "devastated and humiliated" last year at Ridgefield High School when he asked the teacher for more time to complete an assignment and was loudly told, "We don't negotiate with terrorists....
A Missing Princeton
Student Is Found Dead
Oct 20, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
A Missing Princeton Student Is Found Dead
Misrach Ewunetie hadn't been seen since last week
A Princeton student who went missing last week has been found dead, reports the AP . The body of 20-year-old Misrach Ewunetie, an Ohio native, was discovered behind tennis courts on the New Jersey campus Thursday afternoon, authorities say. Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri says there are no obvious signs...
Comic Dodges Thrown Drink,
Has Epic Response
Oct 11, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Comic Dodges Thrown Drink, Has Epic Response
Ariel Elias chugged the seltzer because, at that point, 'I really needed a drink'
- Comic Ariel Elias turned what could have been her worst night onstage into one of her best, landing her in talks for a set on
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The comic was performing at Uncle Vinnie's Comedy Club in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, on Saturday when a female audience member...
Jersey Car Rally
Gets a Little Too
Fast and Furious
Sep 26, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
Jersey Car Rally Gets a Little Too
Fast and Furious
Unsanctioned event reportedly got destructive
- Officials say a pop-up car rally over the weekend in southern New Jersey led to multiple crashes and the deaths of at least two people, the AP reports. Wildwood Mayor Pete Byron told NJ Advance Media on Sunday that there were a series of car crashes related to the “...
Teen Dies of
He 'Fought a
Sep 23, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Teen Dies of Football Injuries: He 'Fought a Good Fight'
Xavier McClain, 16, was critically injured Sept. 9 while playing for Linden, NJ, team
- Tragic news out of New Jersey, where a sophomore at Linden High School was injured during a football game earlier this month. Linden Mayor Derek Armstead, said to be a good friend of the family of Xavier McClain, announced on social media Thursday that the 16-year-old had died of what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.