Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
Ivana Trump's Grave
Could Be a 'Trifecta
of Tax Avoidance'
Aug 1, 2022 3:24 PM CDT
Ivana Trump's Grave Could Be a 'Trifecta of Tax Avoidance'
Cemeteries, even those on golf courses, are exempt from many New Jersey taxes
- Ivana Trump's gravesite at her ex-husband's golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, is pretty basic: a wreath of flowers at one end, and a flat, engraved marker on the other. It's just off the course but not in anyone's line of sight, set off by itself....
Video Shows Wild
Aug 1, 2022 1:28 AM CDT
Video Shows Wild Hit-and-Run Allegedly Involving Councilwoman
Amy DeGise is refusing calls to resign
- Some are calling for a New Jersey city councilwoman to resign after she was caught on camera allegedly running into a cyclist and then driving away, though the story is a bit more complicated than that. Jersey City Councilwoman Amy DeGise allegedly struck the cyclist, who is recovering, just before...
Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Jul 22, 2022 3:01 AM CDT
GoFundMe Scammer Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Katelyn McClure could get more time on state charges
: New Jersey woman Katelyn McClure has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for her role in a 2017 GoFundMe scam. McClure, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud, was also ordered to pay $400,000 in restitution, the Department of Justice says. The 32-year-old could face more prison...
Jul 21, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
FBI Says Hoffa's Body Isn't Under Bridge, Either
Journalist maintains the New Jersey search wasn't in quite the right spot
: The FBI said Thursday it found no sign of Jimmy Hoffa's remains under a bridge in New Jersey. But the journalist whose account led to the search said the dig took place in the wrong spot. Dan Moldea said the agency broke the news to him in a...
Renovation Yields Cash
Hidden in Great Depression
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
Renovation Yields Cash Hidden in Great Depression
Rick Gilson of New Jersey finds $2K in 1934 cash
- A New Jersey man may be the first person in nearly a century to set eyes on a particular trove of cash, one apparently buried away in the Great Depression. Rich Gilson of Wildwood is in the midst of a renovation involving the removal of the porch on his home...
Woman Who Got Hurt Trying to
Rescue Dog Can't Sue: Court
Jun 14, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
Woman Who Got Hurt Trying to Rescue Dog Can't Sue: Court
New Jersey woman's claims rejected
- A woman who says she suffered serious injuries while trying to save her neighbors’ dog from a canal can’t sue the pooch’s owners, New Jersey’s Supreme Court ruled on Monday. The court unanimously rejected Ann Samolyk’s claims that laws allowing legal action for injuries suffered while...
Ex-NFL Player Arrested,
United Worker Fired
After Bloody Fight
May 24, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-NFL Player Arrested, United Worker Fired After Bloody Fight
Brendan Langley, employee captured throwing slaps and punches on video
- Dustups involving airline workers and passengers are nothing new, but an incident at New Jersey's Newark airport on Thursday morning appears to be a whole other level. NBC News calls it a "bloody brawl" at the United Airlines check-in counter involving a worker and former NFL player Brendan...
Maine Teen Dies While
Digging Hole at NJ Beach
May 18, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Maine Teen Dies While Digging Hole at NJ Beach
Levy Caverley, 18, died after hole he and sister were digging in Toms River collapsed
- A Maine teen died this week along the Jersey Shore after the hole he was digging with his sister collapsed. Police say 18-year-old Levy Caverley was at a beach in Toms River, NJ, on Tuesday afternoon, reportedly enjoying a day in the sun by carving out a 10-foot-deep hole in...
Great White Does U-Turn
After Hitting Jersey Shore
May 11, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Great White Does U-Turn After Hitting Jersey Shore
But Ironbound will be back north soon
- Ironbound sounds like a good name for a massive floating vessel. This Ironbound is pretty close to that. A huge great white shark who was so christened when it was tagged on October 3, 2019, off Nova Scotia has recently been spotted off the US coast. CNN reports Ironbound pinged...
Romance Scammer Posed
With Wads of Cash in Photos
May 5, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Romance Scammer Posed With Wads of Cash in Photos
New Jersey's Rubbin Sarpong is sentenced to 14 years in prison
- A New Jersey man just got sentenced to 14 years in prison over an online scam in which he tricked about 40 women on dating websites into sending him money. Prosecutors say one of the women killed herself after wiring him $93,000 and realizing she'd been duped, reports...
Worker Falls to
His Death From
May 4, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
Worker Falls to His Death From Jersey Shore Ferris Wheel
Subcontractor fell from a lift in Ocean City
- A man working on the Ferris wheel at a Jersey shore pier fell to his death Monday morning. Robert Sanger, 62, was a subcontractor working on a lift when he fell from it at Gillian’s Wonderland Pier in Ocean City, New Jersey, the
Press of Atlantic City
New Jersey Man Accused of
Brutal Road-Rage Incident
Apr 15, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
New Jersey Man Accused of Brutal Road-Rage Incident
Vincent Jean, 56, allegedly chased woman after fender bender, ran over her multiple times
- A young woman is lucky to be alive and a man is in custody after allegedly running her over, multiple times, in a vicious road-rage incident in New Jersey. Witnesses tell NBC New York it started during Tuesday morning's rush hour, when a man backing up on a one-way...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Town Sues 82-Year-Old
Over Public Records Requests
Mar 29, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Town Sues 82-Year-Old Over Public Records Requests
New Jersey's Irvington Township says Elouise McDaniel's demands are too burdensome
- A town in New Jersey is suing one of its own senior citizens, accusing her of filing too many requests for public records. Irvington Township accuses Elouise McDaniel, 82, of harassment and defamation, and a big reason is that she filed 75 requests for information about Mayor Tony Vauss and...
For Drivers in 2 States, Big
Change Looms at Gas Pump
Mar 6, 2022 1:45 PM CST
For Drivers in 2 States, Big Change Looms at Gas Pump
New Jersey, Oregon may finally allow drivers to pump their own gas
- Out-of-state drivers heading through New Jersey or Oregon likely encounter a surprise when they stop for gas: In those states, drivers (mostly) still can't pump their own. Now, however, both states are considering legislation to finally allow the practice, reports the Hill . Rising gas prices and a tight labor...
Guy's Dinner Find: Pricey
Pearl in a Clamshell
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 5, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Guy's Dinner Find: Pricey Pearl in a Clamshell
'It's like a once in a lifetime event' for NJ's Michael and Maria Spressler
- Michael Spressler thought he'd cracked a molar after biting into a raw clam at his favorite South Jersey restaurant. "But then when I poked it out into the palm of my hand, it was a perfectly round white pearl." That pearl might just cover the cost of...
Other Teen in Mall Fight
Says Cops Were Racist
Feb 21, 2022 2:38 PM CST
Other Teen in Mall Fight Says Cops Were Racist
'I don’t understand why they arrested him and not me,' he says of Black teen
- One of two teenagers involved in a fight at a New Jersey mall earlier this month says he isn't white—but he agrees that it was racist for police to give him better treatment than the Black teenager he traded blows with. Video from the Bridgewater Commons Mall shows...
2 Teens Fought at
a New Jersey Mall.
Now, a Controversy
Feb 16, 2022 2:21 PM CST
2 Teens Fought at a New Jersey Mall. Now, a Controversy
A Black teen was handcuffed, while a white teen was put on a couch to sit
- Two teens fought at a New Jersey mall, and two police officers intervened—with one teen ending up handcuffed on the ground while the other was left to sit on a couch. The issue: The handcuffed teen is Black, the other white. The Bridgewater police response to the incident at...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.