Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Next Union Strike on the Table
Could Shut Down Las Vegas
Sep 27, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Next Union Strike on the Table Could Shut Down Las Vegas
Tens of thousands of casino, hotel workers vote to authorize a walkout
- Tens of thousands of Las Vegas hospitality workers fighting for new union contracts voted Tuesday to authorize a strike that could impact more than three dozen casinos and hotels. As the AP reports, the Culinary Workers Union hasn't gone on strike in more than three decades. The union didn'...
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely
Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Sep 26, 2023 6:13 AM CDT
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Looks like he'll be the first president ever to walk picket line when he joins UAW strike in Michigan
- President Biden's decision to stand alongside United Auto Workers picketers Tuesday on the 12th day of their strike against major carmakers underscores an allegiance to labor unions that appears to be unparalleled in presidential history, per the AP . Experts in presidential and US labor history say they can't...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
Workdays Lost to Strikes
at Highest in 23 Years
Sep 18, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Workdays Lost to Strikes at Highest in 23 Years
Labor Department counts 4.1 million days of missed work last month alone
- Last week's decision by the United Auto Workers to launch a strike isn't exactly an outlier. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the US logged 4.1 million missed days of work because of labor strikes last month alone—the highest such monthly figure since August 2000. The...
UAW Contract Deadline Nears:
'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
Sep 14, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
UAW Contract Deadline Nears: 'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
United Auto Workers leader Shawn Fain says likely strike will be 'limited and targeted'
- The head of the United Auto Workers union said Wednesday that a strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is imminent, with negotiations ahead of Thursday's 11:59pm contract deadline not making the headway needed to fend off a work stoppage at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, per the...
A New Dawn on Labor: 'Working
People Are Reclaiming' Power
Sep 4, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
A New Dawn on Labor: 'Working People Are Reclaiming' Power
EJ Dionne lays out why this Labor Day in particular is cause for worker celebration
- So far this year, more than 230 strikes involving upward of 320,000 workers in the United States have unfolded, along with big victories for unions. This is no fluke, but instead signs of a reawakening for organized labor that has made unions "cool again," writes EJ Dionne...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
Biden Has Reason to
Celebrate This Labor Day
Sep 4, 2023 6:22 AM CDT
Biden Has Reason to Celebrate This Labor Day
US in 'one of the strongest job-creating periods in our history'
- President Biden, who often says he's the most pro-union president in history, is heading to Philadelphia on Monday for the annual Tri-State Labor Day Parade. The Democratic president is expected to speak about the importance of unions in the United States and how the economy is recovering from the...
Union to Taylor Swift:
Please Postpone LA Shows
Aug 3, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Union to Taylor Swift: Please Postpone LA Shows
Singer urged to show solidarity with striking hotel workers
- Taylor Swift is concluding the US leg of her earthshaking Eras Tour with six sold-out shows near Los Angeles starting Thursday night, but union officials and politicians have urged her to postpone them in solidarity with striking hospitality workers. In an open letter asking the singer to "Speak Now"...
Starbucks Workers Kick
Off 3-Day Strike Across US
Dec 16, 2022 10:34 AM CST
Starbucks Workers Kick Off 3-Day Strike Across US
This walkout to support unionization follows a one-day strike in November
- Starbucks workers around the US are planning a three-day strike starting Friday as part of their effort to unionize the coffee chain's stores. More than 1,000 baristas at 100 stores are planning to walk out, according to Starbucks Workers United, the labor group organizing the effort. The strike...
Rail Workers Missed Their
Biggest Goal—Paid Leave
Dec 2, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Rail Workers Missed Their Biggest Goal—Paid Leave
Biden signs measure to avert crippling strike, and unions lose a key fight
- President Biden on Friday signed an emergency measure to prevent a potentially crippling railway strike amid the holidays. He did so after Congress, exercising special authority, voted to impose a contract settlement between the railroads and its unions, reports the AP . On the bright side for rail workers, the deal...
At a Second Apple Store,
Workers Vote to Unionize
Oct 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
At a Second Apple Store, Workers Vote to Unionize
Labor movement has been gaining strength since pandemic hit
- Workers at an Apple store in Oklahoma City have voted to unionize, marking the second unionized Apple store in the US in a matter of months, according to the federal labor board. The vote on Friday signaled another win for the labor movement, which has been gaining momentum since the...
MLB Accepts Union
in Minor Leagues
Sep 9, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
MLB Accepts Union in Minor Leagues
Agreement would mean a strike could take place before next season opens
: Major League Baseball has agreed to recognize a minor league union, after being informed that more than 5,000 players under minor league contracts had signed authorization cards. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said the two sides are working on an agreement. Talks have not been going well, the AP...
NLRB Ruling Goes Against
Starbucks Over Raises
Aug 25, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
NLRB Ruling Goes Against Starbucks Over Raises
Office finds denying increases at union stores was illegal
- Starbucks withheld pay raises and improved benefits from unionized stores, and chief executive Howard Schultz promised more money for stores whose employees "rejected the union as their bargaining representative," labor regulators say in a new complaint against the company. Those actions were illegal, a regional office of the...
Union Slams 'Outrageous' Order
to Pay Coal Company $13M
Aug 3, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Union Slams 'Outrageous' Order to Pay Coal Company $13M
United Mine Workers of America plans to challenge decision on costs caused by strike
- A federal oversight board has ordered the United Mine Workers of America to pay more than $13 million in compensation to an Alabama coal company whose members have been on strike for more than a year, a ruling the union said Wednesday it would challenge. The National Labor Relations Board...
Chipotle Shuts Store Just
Before Union Hearing
Jul 20, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Chipotle Shuts Store Just Before Union Hearing
Organizers for Maine restaurant call the move a union-busting effort
- Chipotle has permanently closed a restaurant where the staff was seeking to hold a vote on forming a union. The company emailed the news to employees at its Augusta, Maine, store Tuesday morning, 2½ hours before a National Labor Relations Board meeting was to begin on workers' petition to hold...
Union for Production Staff
Jul 1, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
Recognizes Union for Production Staff
Employees want benefits provided actors, writers
- Producers of three top animated TV shows have agreed to recognize production workers' membership in the Animation Guild, finally putting those employees on a par with actors, writers, and animators. "The production workers won with 90% support," the union said, from
It's a First for Apple, but
One the Company Fought
Jun 19, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
It's a First for Apple, but One the Company Fought
Workers in Maryland vote to create a labor union
- This is one trend that Apple wanted no part of—workers at one of its retail stores in Maryland have voted to create the company's first labor union. Employees at the Towson store near Baltimore voted 65-33 on Saturday to create the Apple Coalition of Organized Retail Employees, which...
Amazon Workers in NYC
Vote to Reject Union
May 2, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Amazon Workers in NYC Vote to Reject Union
Retail giant fends off 2nd union win
- Amazon warehouse workers rejected a union bid on Monday, dealing a blow to organizers who last month pulled off the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history. This time around, warehouse workers cast 618 votes—or about 62%—against the union, giving Amazon enough support to...
Labor Board Sues Starbucks
Apr 25, 2022 1:53 AM CDT
Labor Board Sues Starbucks
NLRB is suing coffee chain, says it retaliated against workers trying to unionize
- The National Labor Relations Board is suing Starbucks, alleging the coffee chain retaliated against three employees for their union-organizing efforts. "Among other things, Starbucks disciplined, suspended, and discharged one employee, constructively discharged another, and placed a third on an unpaid leave of absence after revoking recently granted accommodations,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.