Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Brand Quits Social Media:
'Something Has to Change'
Nov 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Teen Brand Quits Social Media: 'Something Has to Change'
Lush will shutter IG, FB, TikTok, Snapchat on Black Friday, won't come back til user safety is improved
- While most brands are revving up their social media for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season, one teen favorite just made a shocking announcement: It's shuttering its social media entirely on the day after Thanksgiving. At least for now, says Lush Cosmetics—known...
Social Media Platform
Oct 21, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Introducing Donald Trump's Social Media Platform
TRUTH Social is coming next month
- Former President Trump's long-promised social media platform will be here soon. Trump announced the forthcoming launch of TRUTH Social in a press release Wednesday, saying the site's parent company, the newly created Trump Media & Technology Group, aims to "create a rival to the liberal media consortium...
From Bats to Animal
to Humans: WHO
Mar 29, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
COVID Jumped From Bats to Animal to Humans: WHO
Joint report with China finds that virus likely didn't originate in a lab
- A joint China-World Health Organization study on the origins of COVID-19 says that transmission of the virus from bats to humans through another animal is the most likely scenario and that a lab leak is "extremely unlikely," according to a draft obtained by the AP . The findings offer...
Move in Twitter War:
May 28, 2020 12:55 AM CDT
Trump's Next Move in Twitter War: Executive Order
Though it's not clear how much authority POTUS has to regulate social media
- President Trump's feud with Twitter continues. The latest: White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Wednesday night that the POTUS will soon sign an executive order aimed at social media companies, the AP reports. White House strategic communications director Alyssa Farah said the move would come Thursday, but...
Welcome to Facebook's
New 50-Person Video Chat
Apr 25, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Welcome to Facebook's New 50-Person Video Chat
Messenger Rooms is social network's videoconferencing answer to Zoom, Houseparty
- Facebook apparently felt left out of the video chat parties taking place during the virus lockdowns—so it simply launched its own. Showing that social distancing doesn't have to adversely affect social networking, the company announced on Friday its new Messenger Rooms, a videoconferencing rival to platforms like Zoom...
Twitter Isn't Banning Alex Jones
Aug 7, 2018 2:09 AM CDT
Twitter Isn't Banning Alex Jones
But YouTube has joined Apple, Facebook in giving him the heave-ho
- Twitter and its Periscope streaming platform haven't joined the Silicon Valley crackdown on what is being described as "hate speech" from Alex Jones and his InfoWars channel. Apple, Facebook, and YouTube all removed InfoWars content in what a tweet from the conspiracy theorist's channel called a "...
Amazon Just Debuted
a Way to Get You to
Spend More Money
Jul 20, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Amazon Just Debuted a Way to Get You to Spend More Money
Its new 'Spark' shopping social network looks a lot like Pinterest
- Take Amazon Prime, mix it with Pinterest, and add a dash of Instagram. The result is Amazon Spark, a new shopping-focused "social network" aimed at getting hardcore Amazon users to spend even more money with the e-commerce giant. The service launched publicly on Tuesday on Amazon's iPhone app,...
Radiohead Vanishes Online,
Leaves a Few Breadcrumbs
May 2, 2016 6:09 AM CDT
Radiohead Vanishes Online, Leaves a Few Breadcrumbs
Band sends cryptic postcards to fans, wipes its website and Facebook, Twitter pages
- Radiohead has announced a new world tour that kicks off May 20 . A ninth album is said to be forthcoming. On Saturday, some fans received cryptic postcards with only the words: "Sing the song of sixpence that goes / Burn the witch / We know where you live,"...
Mar 16, 2015 7:30 AM CDT
Facebook Explains Which Nude Photos Are OK
Rules are context-sensitive, site explains
- When it comes to rules about posts on Facebook, there's a fair bit of subtlety. Rather than electronically identifying offensive images, for instance, the company says it has actual human beings assess context, the
New York Times
reports. Today, the site is posting a more thorough explanation of its...
There's a Facebook 'Founder'
You've Never Heard Of
Feb 7, 2015 5:05 PM CST
There's a Facebook 'Founder' You've Never Heard Of
Andrew McCollum was part of the site's first team at Harvard
- You know Mark Zuckerberg, and if you've seen
The Social Network
, you're familiar with Eduardo Saverin. Then there's Dustin Moskovitz, as well as Chris Hughes, owner of the
. But the fifth figure in the birth of Facebook isn't listed on its founders page , even...
22 Romney Staffers
Had to OK Tweets
Dec 6, 2014 2:49 PM CST
22 Romney Staffers Had to OK Tweets
And Facebook posts, photos...
- The fast-paced world of social media wasn't quite so speedy at the Mitt Romney presidential campaign. Sure, tweets may only be 140 characters at most, but they required the approval of 22 different people "towards the end of the campaign," a digital media campaign staffer says in...
Suit: App Makers
at Parents' Request
Nov 19, 2014 12:11 PM CST
Suit: App Makers Ditched Partner— at Parents' Request
Former fraternity brothers wrangle over Yik Yak
- A year ago, three fraternity brothers released a social app called Yik Yak, which has gone on to nab some $85 million in venture capital. But one of the Furman University guys, Douglas Warstler, isn't seeing that money after the other two pushed him out, according to a lawsuit....
How a 23-Year-Old
Oct 18, 2014 1:32 PM CDT
How a 23-Year-Old Makes $500K Off Twitter
Kris Sanchez started UberFacts after joining Twitter to follow Britney Spears
- If you're one of its more than 7 million Twitter followers, then you're already familiar with UberFacts , the account that bills its tweets as "the most unimportant things you'll never need to know." What you might not know is that its founder, Kris Sanchez, started...
Feds Used Woman's
Identity for Fake
Oct 7, 2014 12:58 PM CDT
Feds Used Woman's Identity for Fake Facebook Profile
Posted compromising pictures of Sondra Arquiett
- A DEA agent used a woman's identity—along with private pictures from her phone—to create a fake Facebook profile without her knowledge, BuzzFeed reports. The government is defending the agent's actions in the scheme to connect with potential criminal targets. In a court filing, officials say special...
Here's Why Ello Isn't
Sep 29, 2014 9:04 AM CDT
Here's Why Ello Isn't a Facebook-Killer
Social network has a long way to go: Caitlin McGarry
- The buzz is that new social media site Ello could finally provide a rival to Facebook, but at
, Caitlin McGarry suggests you don't believe the hype. Right now, Ello is in beta—and it needs some serious improvements, she writes:
Want privacy? You'll do better on Facebook
I Hit, Killed Wolves
Sep 22, 2014 11:28 AM CDT
Driver's Boast on Facebook: I Hit, Killed Wolves
Toby Bridges is campaigner against wolves
- A Montana driver has offered Facebook followers a graphic account of his encounter with a family of wolves—an account that suggests he purposely hit them with his car, the
Great Falls Tribune
reports. Fish, Wildlife, and Parks officials are "looking into" the situation, one says, though it's...
Here's How We
Aug 3, 2014 3:00 PM CDT
Here's How We Quickly Judge Human Faces
Features lead to assumptions about character, study says
- Have masculine or feminine features? A big smile? Characteristics like these, it seems, are central to our snap judgements of people's faces. Using a computer model, researchers have figured out how different features affect our first impressions, the BBC reports. The system is based on 1,000 pictures of...
Here's a Guide
Jun 22, 2014 11:19 AM CDT
Here's a Guide for Discussing Spoilers
Wired offers a guide
- Spoilers are a scourge of the Internet age: Between social media and entertainment sites, it can be tough to avoid learning what happened in the latest
Game of Thrones
before you watch it. Making things even more complicated, a
survey finds that people have very different views of proper...
Jun 17, 2014 8:34 AM CDT
Delta's 'Ghana Giraffe' Ignites Twitter Fury
There are no giraffes in Ghana
- Delta Air Lines is getting an earful from the Internet over a postgame tweet. After the US beat Ghana in yesterday's World Cup match, Delta congratulated the American team with a pair of pictures, since deleted but viewable here . One showed the Statue of Liberty with the US score;...
Facebook Is Breaking Up;
Let's Break Up With It
Apr 18, 2014 12:20 PM CDT
Facebook Is Breaking Up; Let's Break Up With It
Ashley Feinberg explains how to piece together a replacement
- When it opened to the public, Facebook seemed like it really could be the ultimate social network. "But then it kept growing," complains Ashley Feinberg at Gizmodo . As it stapled on features—most ill-conceived—"Facebook eventually grew too big for its own, and more importantly
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.