Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There's a Space Race On,
and China Could Win It
Jan 2, 2023 3:31 PM CST
There's a Space Race On, and China Could Win It
'We better watch out,' says NASA Administrator Bill Nelson
- "It is a fact: We're in a space race," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson told Politico in a recent interview. And it's not just about politics and bragging rights—there are both national security and practical implications, according to many US officials. "We better watch out...
NASA's Orion Capsule Makes
Crazy-Fast Return From Moon
Dec 11, 2022 12:00 PM CST
NASA's Orion Capsule Makes Crazy-Fast Return From Moon
Capsule hit atmosphere at 32 times the speed of sound
- NASA's Orion capsule made a blisteringly fast return from the moon Sunday, parachuting into the Pacific off Mexico to conclude a 25-day test flight around the moon that should clear the way for astronauts on the next lunar flyby. The incoming capsule hit the atmosphere at Mach 32, or...
Still Faces One of
Its Biggest Trials
Nov 29, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Outstanding' Orion Still Faces One of Its Biggest Trials
Dec. 11 entry into Earth's atmosphere will test its heat shield
- NASA's Orion spacecraft has reached its maximum distance from Earth, a record-setting 268,563 miles. The spacecraft that launched Nov. 16 reached the halfway point in its 26-day mission on Monday as it looped around the moon. It was 43,138 miles beyond the far side of the moon,...
Artemis Program Nears
Nov 21, 2022 5:39 PM CST
Artemis Program Nears Another Milestone
It's the first step toward developing a moon base
- NASA's Artemis Program has already set at least one record with Artemis I, the most powerful space rocket in history, which was launched last Wednesday from Cape Canaveral. Per the
the Orion space capsule the rocket carried will soon set another record, traveling 1.3 million miles, more...
Reaches the Moon
Nov 21, 2022 8:31 AM CST
NASA Capsule Reaches the Moon
Unmanned craft on track for record-breaking lunar orbit
- NASA’s Orion capsule reached the moon Monday, whipping around the back side and passing within 80 miles on its way to what should be a record-breaking lunar orbit, per the AP . The close approach occurred as the crew capsule and its three test dummies were on the far side...
At Last, 'What
Sight to See'
Nov 16, 2022 6:07 AM CST
At Last, 'What an Incredible Sight to See'
Artemis rocket holding unmanned Orion spacecraft is finally headed toward moon after series of delays
- With a series of nixed attempts left in its wake, Artemis I is finally on its way to the moon. NASA reports that its powerful Space Launch System (SLS), holding the unmanned Orion spacecraft, blasted off for its flying debut from Florida's Kennedy Space Center at 1:47am Wednesday...
Has a New
Nov 12, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Beleaguered Moon Rocket Has a New Launch Date
New attempt is set for Wednesday; multiple other attempts in summer, early fall were scuttled
- NASA's Artemis I moon rocket needs only minor repairs after enduring a hurricane at the pad and is on track for its first test flight next week, a top official said Friday. "Right now, there's nothing preventing us" from attempting a launch on Wednesday, said NASA's...
We Won't See
a Moon Like
Nov 7, 2022 8:07 AM CST
We Won't See a Moon Like Tuesday's for 2-Plus Years
Blood moon caused by total lunar eclipse is set for Election Day
- Better catch the moon's disappearing act Tuesday—there won't be another like it for more than two years. The total lunar eclipse will be visible throughout North America in the predawn hour—the farther west, the better—and across Asia, Australia, and the rest of the Pacific after...
He Was a Space Tourist
in 2001. He's Going Back
Oct 12, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
He Was a Space Tourist in 2001. He's Going Back
Dennis and Akito Tito to board SpaceX's second commercial flight around the moon
- Dennis Tito hopes to become a space tourist once again. The 82-year-old aerospace engineer-turned-financial analyst who paid $20 million to Russia for a trip to the International Space Station in 2001 says he and his 57-year-old wife Akito have signed up for a SpaceX flight around the moon. Though it'...
Been This Close
to Europa Since 2000
Sep 30, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
NASA Hasn't Been This Close to Europa Since 2000
Juno spacecraft got within 219 miles of Jupiter's icy moon
- NASA's Juno spacecraft has made the closest approach to Jupiter’s tantalizing, icy moon Europa in more than 20 years. Juno on Thursday zipped within approximately 219 miles of Europa, thought to have an ocean flowing beneath its thick frozen crust, raising the possibility of underwater life. Scientists hailed...
The Universe Has
a New Mineral
Sep 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
The Universe Has a New Mineral
China identifies transparent crystal on the moon
- China has identified a new mineral on the moon, joining the exclusive club of nations able to make that claim. The transparent crystal has been named Changesite-(Y), after the Chinese lunar goddess Chang'e, reports Space.com . The International Mineralogical Association has confirmed the finding, which New Atlas reports is...
NASA Has to Scrap
Its Big Moon Launch
Aug 29, 2022 7:51 AM CDT
NASA Has to Scrap Its Big Moon Launch
Fuel leaks push back next possible launch date to Friday
This summary has been updated throughout.
Fuel leaks have forced NASA to scrub Monday's launch of its new moon rocket on a no-crew test flight, per the AP . The next launch attempt will not take place until Friday at the earliest. The 322-foot Space Launch System rocket...
Puts on a
Jul 14, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Supermoon Puts on a Show Around the Globe
Missed the show? Don't worry, we've got pics
- Did you catch the supermoon? There was a full moon Wednesday night, and at the same time, the moon was closer to Earth than usual. That combo is called a supermoon. The closer proximity to Earth can make the moon appear slightly bigger and brighter, weather permitting, per the AP...
Appears This Week
Jul 11, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
New Supermoon Appears This Week
This month's full moon, on Wednesday, should appear bigger and brighter than usual
- If you missed last month's supermoon, you have another chance. This month's full moon is Wednesday. At the same time, the moon's orbit will bring it closer to Earth than usual. This cosmic combo is called a supermoon, per the AP . That can make the moon appear...
China Slams America's
'Dirty Record' in Space
Jul 5, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
China Slams America's 'Dirty Record' in Space
Officials reject NASA chief's accusation that China is trying to take over the moon
- China has angrily fired back at NASA Administrator Bill Nelson's criticism of its space program, denying that it is planning to take over the moon. In an interview with Germany's
newspaper published Saturday, Nelson said, "We must be very concerned about China landing on the moon...
Double Crater on Moon Left
by Space Junk Puzzles NASA
Jun 29, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Double Crater on Moon Left by Space Junk Puzzles NASA
Debris has hit the surface before but never caused a dual crater
- Astronomers knew a hunk of debris from an unknown spacecraft was going to slam into the far side of the moon in March, so they got plenty of before-and-after photographs of the surface. Software usually compares the photos, looking for what's changed to tell where the object hit, the...
No, That's Not a Microwave
NASA Launched Into Space
Jun 28, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
No, That's Not a Microwave NASA Launched Into Space
Tiny CAPSTONE spacecraft will test-drive a new lunar orbit to be used by astronaut way station
- In between the gravities of the Earth and the moon lies a halo-shaped orbit that will be used by NASA's soon-to-come Gateway, a lunar rest stop of sorts for astronauts when they head back to the moon as part of the agency's Artemis missions . The agency has now...
Tonight's Full Moon
Has a Colorful Name
Jun 14, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Tonight's Full Moon Has a Colorful Name
Strawberry Supermoon arrives Tuesday
- Tuesday night will be a fine night for moongazing, with the Full Strawberry Supermoon at its brightest, astronomers say. The June full moon gets its name from the strawberry harvesting season it coincides with, not its actual hue, though it will be unusually bright, NPR reports. It will also appear...
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually
Grow in Lunar Stuff'
May 15, 2022 10:03 AM CDT
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Researchers grow plants in dirt brought back from the moon
- For the first time, scientists have grown plants in soil from the moon collected by NASA’s Apollo astronauts. Researchers had no idea if anything would sprout in the harsh moon dirt and wanted to see if it could be used to grow food by the next generation of lunar...
Gas May Hide
Mar 9, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gas May Hide in 50-Year-Old Moon Sample
Sample 73001, vacuum-sealed in 1972, is now being opened
- The last time astronauts set foot on the moon, in 1972, they hammered two 1.5-by-14-inch tubes into the lunar surface, which were then retrieved along with the soil inside. Sample 73002 was brought back to Earth in an unsealed container, which was opened in 2019. But sample 73001 was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
NY Couple Dies, Leaving SPCA Its Biggest Case Ever
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.