Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
East Tennessee's Sole
Jan 7, 2022 11:20 AM CST
East Tennessee's Sole Planned Parenthood Clinic Torched
Intentional fire set Dec. 31 was just the latest attack on the building
- Planned Parenthood's only clinic in East Tennessee was destroyed by arson, fire officials announced Thursday following an investigation into the blaze that ripped through the Knoxville clinic on New Year's Eve. This confirms the second act of violence at the clinic within the past year. On Jan. 22,...
Authorities: He Set
Jan 4, 2022 12:59 PM CST
Authorities: He Set Fox Christmas Tree Ablaze, Then Vanished
Officials say suspect Craig Tamanaha was freed without bail but is now on the run
A 49-year-old man accused of torching the artificial Christmas tree outside of Fox News in New York City last month is apparently now a fugitive. Craig Tamanaha was freed without bail just hours after his arraignment for the alleged arson in the early morning of Dec. 8. Tamanaha was...
Arson Suspected After Fire
Kills at Least 19 in Japan
Dec 17, 2021 3:14 AM CST
Arson Suspected After Fire Kills at Least 19 in Japan
Most of the victims were at Osaka clinic
- More than 20 people were feared dead after a fire broke out Friday in a building in Osaka in western Japan, officials say. Police were investigating arson as a possible cause, the AP reports. The fire started on the fourth floor of an eight-story building in the major business, shopping,...
Prosecutors Suggest Motive
After Fire on Navy Ship
Dec 14, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Prosecutors Suggest Motive After Fire on Navy Ship
Sailor Ryan Sawyer Mays was allegedly 'disgruntled' because his SEAL training fell through
Prosecutors say a Navy sailor set fire to his ship last year because he was "disgruntled" after dropping out of training to become a Navy SEAL, reports the AP . Seaman Apprentice Ryan Sawyer Mays is accused of starting a fire that led to the destruction of the USS...
Quarantine Hotel Unusable
After Guest Allegedly Sets Fire
Nov 30, 2021 2:20 PM CST
Quarantine Hotel Unusable After Guest Allegedly Sets Fire
31-year-old has been charged with arson
- An hotel quarantine facility that was home to 163 occupants as of Sunday had one guest who stood out—and who allegedly set fire to the hotel that day. "We did have some issues with that female occupant that we were managing," the Queensland Police Acting Chief Superintendent...
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry:
'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Nov 16, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry: 'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Authorities say Franklin Barrett Sechriest, 18, was found with Nazi propaganda
- A Texas teenager set fire to an Austin synagogue before confessing to the act in a journal that included racial slurs, authorities say. Texas State University student Franklin Barrett Sechriest, who resigned as a private in the Texas National Guard earlier this month, was arrested Friday on charges of arson...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Woman Allegedly Sparked
Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Sep 28, 2021 5:23 AM CDT
Woman Allegedly Sparked Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Alexandra Souverneva hit with multiple charges in California
- The woman who was arrested after walking out of a Northern California wildfire near the fire line has now been charged with arson. Authorities say Alexandra Souverneva, 30, was trying to hike to Canada when, she told them, she found a puddle of water to drink but wanted to sterilize...
Woman Walks Out of Brush
Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Sep 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Walks Out of Brush Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Alexandra Souverneva accused of arson in Fawn Fire, which has forced evacuations of 4K
- A fire that erupted Wednesday in California's Shasta County has quickly spread to cover 5,500 acres , forcing thousands of people out of their homes. It's also prompted an arrest. Cal Fire and Shasta County Fire said employees spotted a white woman trespassing on property accessed through two...
4 Dead in Washington
Shooting, Arson Spree
Aug 26, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
4 Dead in Washington Shooting, Arson Spree
That includes the suspect in Wednesday incident
- Authorities believe one gunman killed three people and wounded another person during a spree of shootings and arsons in eastern Washington state on Wednesday, the AP reports. A suspect was believed to have been found dead later after police fired on a vehicle. KEPR reports that police were called about...
of 'Arson Spree' Near
Massive Dixie Fire
Aug 11, 2021 3:29 AM CDT
Professor Accused of 'Arson Spree' Near Massive Dixie Fire
Gary Stephen Maynard, 47, has been charged in one fire so far
- A college professor was charged Tuesday with what the
calls an "arson spree" in Northern California, near the massive Dixie Fire. Gary Stephen Maynard, 47, who has worked at multiple colleges in the state, was arrested Saturday. "Over the course of the last several weeks, Maynard...
He's a Star Sommelier—and
Allegedly, a Secret Arsonist
Jul 29, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
He's a Star Sommelier—and Allegedly, a Secret Arsonist
Caleb Ganzer charged with burning outdoor dining structures in NYC
- Three fires set near New York City restaurants since January have been attributed to someone with much interest in the restaurant business: a star sommelier . A former
Food & Wine
magazine sommelier of the year , who spent part of his career at the Michelin-starred Eleven Madison Park , Caleb Ganzer is...
on Indigenous Land
Burn to the Ground
Jun 22, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Catholic Churches on Indigenous Land Burn to the Ground
Arson suspected following discovery of graves at former Catholic-run residential school in Canada
- Two century-old Catholic churches on Indigenous land in southern British Columbia burned to the ground on Monday, Canada's National Indigenous Peoples' Day—roughly a month after the discovery of the unmarked graves of 215 children at the former Catholic-run Kamloops Indian Residential School. Flames were reported at Sacred Heart...
11-Year-Old Hit With Felony
Charges in $30K Brush Fire
May 29, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Hit With Felony Charges in $30K Brush Fire
Ariz. officials say 2 other children tried to stop boy from setting blaze on former golf course
- Arizona is deep into its brush fire season, when the smallest spark can set off a massive blaze, officials tell WSJM . That became evident last weekend, when a fire caught hold and spread in Yavapai County, wrecking two vacant buildings and causing $30,000 in damage. Now, officials say it...
Cops: Woman Set Home on
Fire, Watched From Lawn Chair
May 4, 2021 5:46 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Set Home on Fire, Watched From Lawn Chair
One resident was still inside
- A Maryland woman set her home on fire then grabbed a lawn chair to watch it burn, with one person still inside, authorities say. Gail Metwally, 47, faces charges including arson and attempted murder over the Thursday fire in Elkton, near the Delaware state line, the
Cops: Deadly Wildfire Was
Set to Cover Up Murder
Apr 29, 2021 6:54 AM CDT
Cops: Deadly Wildfire Was Set to Cover Up Murder
Victor Serriteno murdered his date, then set Calif.'s Markley fire that killed 2, officials say
- Police arrested Victor Serriteno in September and charged him with murder after the body of 32-year-old Priscilla Castro was found at a dam in California's Solano County. Now officials are accusing him of killing two more by setting a deadly wildfire to cover up Castro's death. NBC News...
After Months of
Arrests in 'Heinous'
Jan 28, 2021 9:35 AM CST
After Months of No Progress, Arrests in 'Heinous' Denver Case
3 teen boys face murder charges after house fire that killed family of 5
- Three teenage boys have been arrested in the Denver house fire that killed a family of five in August, after months without progress . Authorities say the two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old face 28 criminal counts, including first-degree murder, attempted murder with extreme indifference, arson, and burglary, per the
'Now There's Going
to be Hell to Pay'
Jan 16, 2021 1:28 PM CST
'Now There's Going to be Hell to Pay'
Church of Satan members mourn the loss of a 'Halloween House'
- Members of the Church of Satan are grieving the destruction of a historic “Halloween House” north of New York City that authorities say was set ablaze this week by an unidentified arsonist, the AP reports. The historic home, built in 1900, served as an Addams Family-style hub for local...
She Scored Win
Over Abusive Hubby.
Then, Molotov Cocktails
Dec 22, 2020 12:19 PM CST
She Scored Win Over Abusive Hubby. Then, Molotov Cocktails
Battered wife Natasha Bourdon's home burns to the ground
- A Canadian woman won a divorce battle that meant she'd be allowed to stay in her home while her abusive husband paid the mortgage—and less than 48 hours after that decision, the house burned to the ground. Police in Calgary, Alberta, confirmed the Dec. 3 fire occurred under...
Walter Forbes Was Framed.
38 Years Later, He's Free
Dec 17, 2020 7:41 AM CST
Walter Forbes Was Framed. 38 Years Later, He's Free
Michigan man's 1983 murder conviction thrown out after witness says she lied
- Walter Forbes was in his 20s when he was sent to prison for murder. At age 63, he was told his conviction had been thrown out. It was like watching a "vision unfold," the Michigan man tells CNN . Still, "it's pretty sad that it took 38...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.