Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Schools Burn After Belgium
Makes Sex Ed Mandatory
Sep 15, 2023 1:12 PM CDT
Schools Burn After Belgium Makes Sex Ed Mandatory
6 schools have been set on fire this week
- A series of school arsons in Belgium believed to be connected to a controversial school program in some parts of the country is prompting authorities to strengthen their police response. Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden on Friday called for a halt to the attacks in the French-speaking Wallonia region hours after...
Suspicious Fire Destroys
Britain's 'Wonkiest Pub'
Aug 11, 2023 1:54 PM CDT
Suspicious Fire Destroys Britain's 'Wonkiest Pub'
Crooked House blaze is being treated as arson
- A pub celebrated as "Britain's wonkiest" as a result of its slumping foundation and sloping walls burned down in mysterious circumstances Saturday and police say they're treating it as arson. The 18th-century Crooked House pub near Dudley, England, was demolished before an investigation into the blaze had...
6 Killed, One Injured
in Suspected Arson
Jul 3, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
6 Killed, One Injured in Suspected Arson
Ryan Lenard Manigo charged with attempted murder; more charges are pending
- A South Carolina man stands charged after six people were found dead in a house fire Sunday in Green Pond, with the lone survivor airlifted to a nearby hospital in critical condition. Ryan Lenard Manigo, 33, is charged with the attempted murder of the survivor, and CNN reports that further...
100-Plus Homes Were
Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Jun 19, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
100-Plus Homes Were Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Edward Wackerman, 71, is suspected of setting devastating blaze in Mariposa County, California
- An elderly man who lives near Yosemite National Park has been arrested after a forest fire there last year destroyed more than 125 homes. The AP reports that Edward Wackerman of Mariposa was taken into custody Friday, suspected of setting last summer's Oak Fire that burned nearly 20,000...
Man Who Set Fire to Own
Property Hears His Fate
Jun 9, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Man Who Set Fire to Own Property Hears His Fate
Denis Molla, who initially blamed antifa for arson, gets 30 months in prison after Minnesota blaze
- A Minnesota man was sentenced Thursday to 30 months behind bars after setting fire to his own property to claim insurance money, and initially blaming the September 2020 arson on antifa. Per court documents cited by CBS News , Denis Vladmirovich Molla, 29, who'd first claimed that someone had torched...
Boy, 7, Charged With Arson
May 26, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Boy, 7, Charged With Arson
Cops say boy was physically abused before setting fire to his home with family members inside
- A 7-year-old boy set fire to his family's home as his parents slept inside, according to West Virginia police, who've laid arson charges against the boy and child abuse charges against his stepfather. The fire erupted around noon Wednesday near Elizabeth, per the AP . The Jackson County Sheriff'...
Man Charged With Starting
Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
May 19, 2023 1:41 AM CDT
Man Charged With Starting Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
New Zealand hostel fire death toll adjusted down to 5, but searchers not yet done at scene
- New Zealand police on Friday lowered the confirmed death toll from a Wellington hostel fire from six people to five, although they said they still haven't finished searching the dangerous four-story building. And in another development, a man charged with two counts of arson in connection with the fire...
Bounce House Business Owner
Ran Arson Campaign on Rivals
May 18, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Bounce House Business Owner Ran Arson Campaign on Rivals
Australian man sentenced to 11 years for hiring people to burn down his competitors
- A bounce house business owner in Australia is going to be spending years in the big house over an arson campaign against his rivals. James Balcombe, 58, pleaded guilty to 11 charges of conspiracy to commit arson and was sentenced to 11 years in prison, 9News reports. The court was...
Feds Say 911 Dispatcher
Set Dozens of Wildfires
Dec 21, 2022 4:18 PM CST
Feds Say 911 Dispatcher Set Dozens of Wildfires
Ohio man James Bartels said he wanted to 'distract himself from depression,' complaint states
- A volunteer fire department administrator and former 911 dispatcher in Ohio admitted setting at least 24 fires with a lighter "to 'give the boys something to do' and to distract himself from depression," according to the Justice Department. James Bartels, 50, was arrested Tuesday and charged with...
As Home Burned,
a Text: 'Hope Your
House Is Okay'
Nov 23, 2022 2:08 PM CST
As Home Burned, a Text: 'Hope Your House Is Okay'
A jealous Senaida Soto set beau's house on fire after woman answered his phone, Texas police say
- Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, especially in Texas. Police say a 23-year-old woman was arrested Monday and arrested for arson after she allegedly set her lover's home on fire after becoming enraged that another woman answered his phone, reports Gray News . The Bexar County Sheriff's...
Cops: Man Upset
Over Botched Meal
Oct 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Upset Over Botched Meal Torched Eatery
Choephel Norbu apparently flipped over not getting chicken biryani he wanted from Queens restaurant
- A Queens, NY, man is in hot water after he apparently got miffed over a screwed-up order at a Bangladeshi restaurant earlier this month and set the place on fire, according to court documents cited by NBC News . Security video shot early Oct. 2 outside Ittadi Garden & Grill in...
A $1.2B Ship
Now, a Sailor
Hears His Fate
Oct 1, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
Ryan Sawyer Mays found not guilty of arson in 2020 burning of USS Bonhomme Richard
- A military judge has acquitted a 21-year-old sailor of arson charges after a 2020 fire destroyed a $1.2 billion Navy amphibious assault ship. Capt. Derek Butler, who oversaw the trial by court-martial for Seaman Recruit Ryan Sawyer Mays, handed down his not-guilty verdict on Friday, more than two years...
He Allegedly Set
Aug 17, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Firefighter Battled Blaze He Allegedly Set
Ray Boyd Kerns charged with felony arson, destruction of property in Woodstock, Va.
- A volunteer firefighter who helped put out a blaze in Woodstock, Va., on Friday is also the person who set it, authorities say. A surveillance camera spotted Ray Boyd Kerns of the Woodstock Fire Department outside an abandoned multi-story, 22,000-square-foot building 30 minutes before a fire was reported by...
Affidavit: Man Sold Lemon of
a Car in 1986 Gets His Revenge
in case you missed it
Jul 31, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Affidavit: Man Sold Lemon of a Car in 1986 Gets His Revenge
Dewey Fredrick of Indiana could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted of arson
- A 79-year-old Indiana man is facing up to 48 years in prison after allegedly exacting revenge on a car dealership that earned his resentment almost as many years before. As the
reports, Dewey Fredrick "bought a lemon of a Jeep" from a car dealer in Fort Wayne,...
Set Fire to Wrong House: Cops
Jul 28, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Revenge-Seeking Arsonist Set Fire to Wrong House: Cops
Christie Louise Jones thought she was at an ex-boyfriend's, police say
- A woman who intended to burn down her ex-lover's home failed to confirm the address and ended up setting fire to a stranger's abode, according to police in North Carolina. The result is that the alleged arsonist can't even claim the sweet taste of revenge as she...
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ
Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
May 9, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
Wisconsin Family Action's offices in Madison, Wis., were vandalized, set on fire
- With a looming final decision by the Supreme Court on Roe v. Wade as the backdrop, the pushback against anti-abortion legislation is ramping up . In Wisconsin over the weekend, that defiance took the form of vandalism and arson at the offices of an anti-abortion group, which issued its own defiant...
'Cruel Act of Violence'
Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
Apr 7, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
'Cruel Act of Violence' Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
NYPD: Suspect walked into Brooklyn's Rash Bar, set it ablaze, then fled; 2 injured
- A popular LGBTQ bar in Brooklyn's Bushwick neighborhood is closed for the indefinite future after what the NYPD says was an act of arson over the weekend, but the owners promise to reopen as soon as they can. "It's so hard to believe and process," Rash...
Porn King's Mansion Burned,
and the Suspect List Is Long
Jan 30, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Porn King's Mansion Burned, and the Suspect List Is Long
'Vanity Fair' digs into the many enemies of Pornhub co-owner Feras Antoon
- The arson had all the markings of a professional job. In April 2021, somebody torched the nearly finished mansion being built in Montreal for Feras Antoon, a co-owner of Pornhub. As Adam Gollner writes at
, the massive blaze decimated the "Pornhub Palace" but left neighboring places barely...
East Tennessee's Sole
Jan 7, 2022 11:20 AM CST
East Tennessee's Sole Planned Parenthood Clinic Torched
Intentional fire set Dec. 31 was just the latest attack on the building
- Planned Parenthood's only clinic in East Tennessee was destroyed by arson, fire officials announced Thursday following an investigation into the blaze that ripped through the Knoxville clinic on New Year's Eve. This confirms the second act of violence at the clinic within the past year. On Jan. 22,...
Authorities: He Set
Jan 4, 2022 12:59 PM CST
Authorities: He Set Fox Christmas Tree Ablaze, Then Vanished
Officials say suspect Craig Tamanaha was freed without bail but is now on the run
A 49-year-old man accused of torching the artificial Christmas tree outside of Fox News in New York City last month is apparently now a fugitive. Craig Tamanaha was freed without bail just hours after his arraignment for the alleged arson in the early morning of Dec. 8. Tamanaha was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Woman on Lawn Mower Killed by Small Plane
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.