Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Shove Officials
in Election Document Raid
Sep 30, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
International organizations criticize raids as effort to taint voting results
- Police officers shoved and wrestled with justices of Guatemala's top electoral tribunal Saturday, as prosecutors sought to seize the tally sheets of votes from the August presidential elections. There were harrowing scenes of justices holding tight to boxes, as police tried to wrestle them away as part of raids...
Mother, Daughter Missing
After Car Falls Into Sinkhole
Sep 28, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Mother, Daughter Missing After Car Falls Into Sinkhole
Their car tumbled into the hole on Saturday
- The search for a mother and daughter whose car plunged into a huge sinkhole in Guatemala City changed to a recovery effort Tuesday, three days after they disappeared. Late Tuesday, authorities said they believed they had located their car using geological technology at a depth of about 50 feet. Mynor...
She Told Sons:
'I Hope You Triumph.'
They Died in the Truck
Jun 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
She Told Sons: 'I Hope You Triumph.' They Died in the Truck
Tractor-trailer with migrants had passed through federal checkpoint hours earlier
- Among the 53 people who died from extreme heat inside a tractor-trailer in San Antonio this week are two boys from southwestern Guatemala, ages 13 and 14, and a pair of brothers from northwestern Honduras who'd hoped to buy their mother a home. Karen Caballero says her sons, Fernando...
It's in 50% of Packaged Foods,
but the Cost Is Steep
Jun 5, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
It's in 50% of Packaged Foods, but the Cost Is Steep
The Baffler looks at the problem with palm oil plantations in Guatemala
- Palm oil is in half of all packaged supermarket products, not only in foods but also cosmetics. The stout palm oil tree has always been an important food source in its native West Africa, but its use in global consumer products has exploded in the past few decades. Today, Indonesia...
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour
Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Nov 28, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Temperatures likely hovered below zero
- Federal authorities have taken into custody a 26-year-old man who apparently stowed away in the landing gear compartment of an American Airlines fight that arrived at Miami International Airport from Guatemala on Saturday morning, per the AP. The man was in the wheel well area when the flight arrived...
Oct 5, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
Anti-Vaccine Villagers Hold Nurses Hostage, Destroy Vaccines
Nurses were trying to administer vaccines in Guatemala
- Anti-vaccine residents of a village in Guatemala seized and held hostage a team of nurses who were trying to administer coronavirus shots Monday, authorities said. The team was held for about seven hours in the village of Nahuila, in the province of Alta Verapaz, north of Guatemala City, the AP...
Kamala Harris' Message to
Guatemalans: 'Do Not Come'
Jun 8, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Kamala Harris' Message to Guatemalans: 'Do Not Come'
VP speaks during her trip to Central American country
- Vice President Kamala Harris offered an optimistic outlook for improved cooperation with Guatemala on addressing the spike in migration to the US after her meeting with Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei on Monday. She also delivered a direct warning to migrants considering making the trek, the AP reports: “Do not...
It's a Pivotal Week in Harris'
'Fraught, Fascinating' Tenure
Jun 7, 2021 9:34 AM CDT
It's a Pivotal Week in Harris' 'Fraught, Fascinating' Tenure
All political eyes on the vice president as she heads to Guatemala and Mexico
- Kamala Harris has embarked on her first foreign trip as vice president, though things got off to a bumpy start. Her plane out of Joint Base Andrews had to turn back after 30 minutes because of an unspecified "technical issue" on Sunday, reports the AP . Harris, though, boarded a...
Guatemalan Forces Clash With
Migrants Trying to Reach US
Jan 17, 2021 11:35 AM CST
Guatemalan Forces Clash With Migrants Trying to Reach US
Other nations, including Mexico, have said they'll stop caravan from Honduras
- Guatemalan police and soldiers launched tear gas and wielded batons and shields against a group of Honduran migrants that tried to push through a roadblock Sunday. A group of about 2,000 migrants had stopped short of the roadblock the night before. The roadblock was strategically placed at a chokepoint...
Building Is Set Ablaze
Nov 21, 2020 4:40 PM CST
Nation's Congress Building Is Set Ablaze
Protesters oppose budget cuts in Guatemala
- Hundreds of protesters broke into Guatemala's Congress and burned part of the building Saturday amid growing demonstrations against President Alejandro Giammattei and the legislature for approving a budget that cut educational and health spending, the AP reports. The protest came as about 7,000 people were demonstrating in front...
Rain From Latest
Measure in Feet,
Nov 3, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Rain From Latest Hurricane Could Measure in Feet, Not Inches
Hurricane Eta threatens flooding in Central America
- Hurricane Eta erupted quickly into a potentially catastrophic major hurricane Monday as it headed for Central America, where forecasters warned of massive flooding and landslides across a vulnerable region, the AP reports. Eta was a Category 4 storm with maximum sustained winds of 150mph late Monday, the US National Hurricane...
Powerful New Hurricane
Heads to Central America
Nov 2, 2020 7:00 PM CST
Powerful New Hurricane Heads to Central America
Some places could get 25 to 35 inches of rain
- Hurricane Eta erupted quickly into a potentially catastrophic major hurricane Monday as it headed for Central America, where forecasters warned of massive flooding and landslides across a vulnerable region. Eta had maximum sustained winds of 120mph and was located about 85 miles east of the Nicaragua-Honduras border, according to the...
Parents Sent Teen to School
Knowing He Had COVID
Sep 18, 2020 1:59 PM CDT
Parents Sent Teen to School Knowing He Had COVID
Now, about 30 students have to quarantine for 2 weeks in Massachusetts
- High school students in Attleboro, Mass., returned to school this week with the usual precautions in place for the pandemic. But already, about 30 students have been forced to quarantine for two weeks, though it's not because of a lapse in school protocol. Instead, it's because of what...
The Maya Had Good
Reason to Abandon Tikal
Jul 5, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
The Maya Had Good Reason to Abandon Tikal
Researchers dig deep into the city's reservoirs
- Why did the Maya flee the majestic city-state of Tikal? Experts say overpopulation, overexploitation of land, and droughts drove them out in the ninth century AD. Now, another cause: poisoned water. A new study says there's evidence of mercury and toxic algae ruining the drinking water just as residents...
Mexico Breaks Up
Jan 24, 2020 3:21 AM CST
Mexico Breaks Up Migrant Caravan
800 people were rounded up after crossing border
- Eight hundred Central American migrants were rounded up and hauled onto buses by Mexican national guardsmen and immigration agents after crossing into the country early Thursday and walking for hours along a rural highway. The migrants had stopped for the day at a shaded crossroads when hundreds of national guard...
Trump Pact With Honduras
'Seals Off' Central America
Sep 26, 2019 5:18 AM CDT
Trump Pact With Honduras 'Seals Off' Central America
Administration signs deal to send asylum seekers to country
- The Trump administration signed a deal Wednesday with a third Central American country that would effectively seal off the region, preventing asylum-seekers traveling through from entering the United States, the AP reports. The latest agreement, signed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, paves the way to send asylum-seekers...
US Siblings' Swim
Trip Turns Fatal
Jul 22, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
US Siblings' Swim During Guatemala Trip Turns Fatal
Tennessee teen dead, his sister injured after electrical short in hotel pool
- A trip to Guatemala turned tragic for a pair of Tennessee siblings Friday when, as they were swimming in their hotel pool, an electrical short occurred, killing one and injuring the other. Seth Washam, 18, who was killed, was slated to attend Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tenn., in the...
She Died at Age 7
in CBP Custody.
Now, an Official
Cause of Death
Mar 30, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
She Died at Age 7 in CBP Custody. Now, an Official Cause of Death
Jakelin Caal Maquin died of sepsis from strep bacteria, medical examiner says
- When Jakelin Caal Maquin arrived Dec. 6 from Guatemala at the US-Mexico border with her father and more than 100 migrants, her family says she'd eaten well during her journey and wasn't sick. By early Dec. 8, the 7-year-old was dead . Customs and Border Protection, which had taken...
Jewish Sect Kidnapped
New York Children: Report
Dec 29, 2018 12:15 PM CST
Jewish Sect Kidnapped New York Children: Report
Prosecutors charge 4 in late-night abduction
- Extremist sect, meet the FBI. Prosecutors have charged four men allegedly involved in kidnapping two New York state children in order to haul them down to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish group in Guatemala, the
reports. Seems Nachman Helbrans, 36, Mayer Rosner, 42, Jacob Rosner, 20—all of Guatemala—coordinated...
For Customs and Border
Patrol, Another Tragedy
Dec 25, 2018 1:29 PM CST
For Customs and Border Patrol, Another Tragedy
A Guatemalan 8-year-old boy is dead
- US immigration authorities say an 8-year-old boy from Guatemala has died in government custody, the second immigrant child to die in detention this month, the AP reports. US Customs and Border Protection say the boy died shortly after midnight Tuesday. CBP says the boy showed "signs of potential illness"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.