Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
On NYC's Labor Day Weekend,
a 'Sci-Fi Inspired Scenario'
Sep 2, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
On NYC's Labor Day Weekend, a 'Sci-Fi Inspired Scenario'
NYPD says it will deploy surveillance drones to check on too-large holiday gatherings
- Americans across the nation are gearing up for their final summer weekend, but for residents of New York City, there may be what the AP calls "an uninvited guest looming over their festivities." The NYPD announced Thursday it will deploy surveillance drones throughout Labor Day weekend to check...
Drones Descended on
Moscow. Now, on Crimea
Aug 12, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Drones Descended on Moscow. Now, on Crimea
Russian Defense Ministry says it shot down 14, jammed 6 electronically; Ukraine is staying mum
- Russia thwarted an attack by 20 Ukrainian drones targeting Moscow-annexed Crimea overnight, the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday. Fourteen drones were shot down by Russian air defenses and a further six were jammed electronically, the ministry said in a Telegram post. No casualties or damage were reported, per the AP...
Russia Accuses Ukraine of
Drone Attack on Moscow
Jul 30, 2023 8:18 AM CDT
Russia Accuses Ukraine of Drone Attack on Moscow
The attack briefly shut one airport
- Three Ukrainian drones attacked Moscow in the early hours on Sunday, Russian authorities said, injuring one person and prompting a temporary closure of traffic in and out of one of four airports around the Russian capital. It was the fourth such attempt at a strike on the capital region this...
Russia Threatens Payback
After Drones Strike Moscow
Jul 24, 2023 4:19 PM CDT
Russia Threatens Payback After Drones Strike Moscow
No injuries are reported in attack near Defense Ministry
- Ukraine demonstrated the range of its drones on Monday, launching strikes that damaged buildings in Moscow and saying more such attacks are ahead. No injuries were reported in the strikes, which hit two nonresidential buildings, one of which is near the Ministry of Defense headquarters, CNN reports. Russia called it...
Killed ISIS Leader
Jul 9, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
US: Harassed Drones Later Killed ISIS Leader
Usamah al-Muhajir was riding a motorcycle near Aleppo, official says
- A US drone strike killed an Islamic State group leader in Syria hours after the same MQ-9 Reaper drones were harassed by Russian military jets over the western part of the country, the Defense Department reported Sunday. Three Reapers had been flying overhead searching for the militant on Friday, a...
US: Russia's Third Harassment
Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Jul 8, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
US: Russia's Third Harassment Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Follow the standards of a professional air force over Syria, general again urges
- The Defense Department said Russian fighter jets harassed US drones over Syria for nearly two hours on Friday, the third time this week the nations' forces had a close encounter. "Russian aircraft flew 18 unprofessional close passes that caused the MQ-9s to react to avoid unsafe situations," US...
Israel Hits West Bank With
Biggest Strikes Since 2006
Jul 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Israel Hits West Bank With Biggest Strikes Since 2006
At least 8 Palestinians killed in refugee camp, with 50 injured
- Israel struck targets in a militant stronghold in the occupied West Bank with drones early Monday and deployed hundreds of troops in the area, reports the AP , in an incursion that resembled the wide-scale military operations carried out during the second Palestinian uprising two decades ago. Palestinian health officials said...
Into Car Trapped
Then, a Drone
Jun 28, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Water Poured Into Car Trapped in Sinkhole. Then, a Drone
'Maybe 30 minutes later, they could have been dead,' Colorado teen says of his well-timed rescue
- When Josh Logue started flying drones as a hobby, he had no idea it would result in him saving lives. That's what happened Saturday morning as the 18-year-old Colorado man sent up a drone to explore the Denver suburb of Brighton after heavy rainfall transformed a dry canal into...
That Kremlin Drone Attack?
The US Has a Theory
May 25, 2023 12:15 AM CDT
That Kremlin Drone Attack? The US Has a Theory
US agencies believe Ukrainians are responsible, though Zelensky might not have known
- US officials believe Ukraine's security services were behind the drone attack on the Kremlin early this month, despite a denial from Ukraine's president . US intelligence officials don't know exactly which special military or intelligence unit carried out the May 3 attack or whether President Volodymyr Zelensky or...
'For the Kremlin'
May 4, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Drones Marked 'For the Kremlin' Attack Ukraine
Meanwhile, the ICC raises Ukrainian flag as President Zelensky visits The Hague
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was in the Netherlands on Thursday for a surprise visit to the city that's home to the International Criminal Court, which has issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin. Zelensky's visit to The Hague, which hosts the ICC and the United Nations'...
Russia: Ukraine Sent
Drones to Assassinate Putin
May 3, 2023 8:10 AM CDT
Russia: Ukraine Sent Drones to Assassinate Putin
But Kremlin says it brought down the drones and Putin wasn't home anyway
- Russia claims it has averted an assassination attempt on Vladimir Putin, and it alleges Ukraine was behind the plot. The Kremlin on Wednesday said it brought down two drones overnight using what the BBC calls "electronic radar assets." Russia claims the drones were targeting Putin's Kremlin residence,...
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames
After Alleged Drone Attack
Apr 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames After Alleged Drone Attack
Russian official in Sevastopol blames Ukrainian drones; Ukraine hasn't taken responsibility
- A massive fire erupted at an oil depot in Crimea after it was hit by two of Ukraine's drones, a Russia-appointed official there reported Saturday, the latest in a series of attacks on the annexed peninsula as Russia braces for an expected Ukrainian counteroffensive. Mikhail Razvozhayev, the Moscow-installed governor...
US Releases Video of
Jet Dumping Fuel on Drone
Mar 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
US Releases Video of Jet Dumping Fuel on Drone
Video of Black Sea encounter also shows drone's damaged propeller
- The US military has released declassified video that backs up its account of an encounter over the Black Sea that caused the loss of an MQ-9 Reaper drone. The video, taken by a camera on the drone's underside, shows a Russian Su-27 jet releasing fuel in an apparent attempt...
Russia Is Working to
Retrieve Downed US Drone
Mar 15, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Russia Is Working to Retrieve Downed US Drone
'I am hoping for success, of course,' Russian official said on TV
- "I am hoping for success, of course." So said Russian Security Council secretary Nikolai Patrushev in televised remarks in reference to Russia's effort to get its hands on the US drone that was forced down in the Black Sea on Tuesday . "I don't know whether...
Stranded in the Forest,
They Got 'Creative'
With a Drone
Mar 13, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Stranded in the Forest, They Got 'Creative' With a Drone
Trio stuck in snowy Oregon sends cellphone with SOS message into the air to pick up signal
- A trio stuck on a snowy mountain road in Oregon's Willamette National Forest, a remote area with no cellphone service, came up with a most "creative" way to survive, per Fox News . On Jan. 29, 37-year-old photographer Casey Ryan and a friend took a drive in his pickup...
Jan 13, 2023 8:39 AM CST
Hundreds More UFOs Recorded, Some With 'Unusual' Traits
Most sightings remain unexplained, per government report
- There's been a "dramatic increase" in reported UFOs —or unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP)—since the government office in charge of sightings released its last report in June 2021, per CNN . The Office of the Director of National Intelligence's initial report included 144 reports of "unidentified...
South Korea Sends
Fighter Jets After Drones
Dec 26, 2022 4:00 PM CST
South Korea Sends Fighter Jets After Drones
Defense officials say they responded to breach by North Korea
- South Korea said its military fired warning shots and deployed fighter jets and attack helicopters after five North Korean drones breached its airspace Monday. The
reported that one of the drones reached Seoul before turning back, per the Hill . South Korea did not try to shoot the drone...
Weapons From Iran
Oct 16, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Russia Receiving Weapons From Iran
Missiles, attack drones are intended for attacks in Ukraine, officials say
- Iran has agreed to supply Russia with attack drones and missiles for use against Ukraine, US security officials said. The surface-to-surface missiles are intended to be employed against cities as well as Ukrainian troops, the
reports. The US military publicly stated that Iranian-made drones already have been used...
Russia Fights Drone Attack on
Black Sea Fleet Headquarters
Aug 20, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Russia Fights Drone Attack on Black Sea Fleet Headquarters
Ukraine has aimed attacks at Crimea to cause instability
- A drone strike reached into the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea fleet in Crimea on Saturday. Sevastopol's governor said Russian forces shot down the drone as it approached, though no independent source verified that. Ukraine didn't say whether it launched the strike, though it posted video of...
WH Issues a Warning on
Putin's Dealings With Iran
Jul 12, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
WH Issues a Warning on Putin's Dealings With Iran
Russian leader, who'll visit Tehran next week, is said to be turning to Iran for 'hundreds' of drones
- Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit Iran next week, the Kremlin said Tuesday, a day after the US warned that Tehran could provide Moscow with drones for its actions in Ukraine. During a trip to Tehran next Tuesday, Putin will attend a trilateral meeting with the leaders of Iran and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.