Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspect Arrested in
Deadly Istanbul Bombing
Nov 14, 2022 12:22 AM CST
Suspect Arrested in Deadly Istanbul Bombing
Kurdish militants blamed for the attack
- Police have arrested a suspect who is believed to have planted the bomb that exploded on a bustling pedestrian avenue in Istanbul, Turkey’s interior minister said Monday, adding that initial findings indicate that Kurdish militants were responsible for the deadly attack, the AP reports. Six people were killed and...
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Nov 13, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Bomb sends people fleeing from crowded shopping, dining district
- A bomb exploded on a popular pedestrian street in Istanbul on Sunday, killing six people, wounding dozens, and sending people fleeing as flames rose. Footage posted online showed ambulances, fire trucks, and police at the scene on Istiklal Avenue, a typically crowded thoroughfare popular with tourists and locals and lined...
COVID Patient Has Tested
Positive 78 Straight Times
Feb 12, 2022 4:00 PM CST
COVID Patient Has Tested Positive 78 Straight Times
Man has asked Turkish government for help after 14 months of isolation
- Since late 2020, Muzzafer Kayasan has taken 78 COVID-19 tests. Every one has come back positive. The result is that he's spent 14 months in isolation, either in a Turkish hospital or at home, Business Insider reports. The 56-year-old leukemia patient, who's home now in Istanbul, has gotten...
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking
From Its Captivity Chains'
Jul 24, 2020 7:08 AM CDT
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking From Its Captivity Chains'
Muslims headed Friday to Istanbul's Hagia Sophia for first prayers there in nearly 9 decades
- Thousands of Muslims converged on Istanbul's landmark Hagia Sophia on Friday to take part in the first prayers in 86 years, at what was once one of Christendom's most significant cathedrals, then a mosque and museum before its reconversion into a Muslim place of worship. Turkish President Recep...
Jubilation, Dismay at Status
Change of Turkish Landmark
Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Jubilation, Dismay at Status Change of Turkish Landmark
Muslims thrilled Hagia Sophia to be reconverted to a mosque; Orthodox Christians, not so much
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday reconverted Istanbul’s sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum. The decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia—a former cathedral that was turned...
Plane Skids Off Runway,
Breaks Into Pieces
Feb 5, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Plane Skids Off Runway, Breaks Into Pieces
Pegasus Airlines flight was arriving at Istanbul airport; one dead, 157 hurt
- A plane skidded off the runway Wednesday as it tried to land in Istanbul, crashing into a field and breaking into pieces. Passengers had to evacuate through cracks in the smashed plane and authorities said more than 100 people were sent to the hospital with injuries, the AP reports. CNN...
Surveillance Tape Shows a
Saudi in Khashoggi's Clothes
Oct 22, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Surveillance Tape Shows a Saudi in Khashoggi's Clothes
CNN: Footage shows 'body double' leaving consulate, elsewhere in Istanbul
- Saudi Arabia has finally admitted Jamal Khashoggi is dead , but a new development adds to suspicion about the Saudis' "shifting narrative": surveillance tape showing a "body double," one of the 15 suspects in Khashoggi's death, coming out of the Saudi Arabian Consulate in Istanbul dressed in...
to Jamal Khashoggi?
Oct 8, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
What Happened to Jamal Khashoggi?
We need answers on journalist's disappearance, and possible murder, in Turkey: editorial
- Is Jamal Khashoggi alive or dead? It's time the US got involved to determine the truth about the missing Saudi Arabian journalist, declares an editorial in the
. Khashoggi, who contributes to the
, hasn't been seen since Tuesday, when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul....
Boy Goes Into
After Biting Into
Sep 7, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Boy Goes Into Cardiac Arrest After Biting Into Hot Dog
Doctors say he has Brugada syndrome
- When a 9-year-old boy took a big bite out of a hot dog in Turkey, he didn't choke on it—but he still almost died. That's because, as tests following his resuscitation from cardiac arrest revealed, he has a rare genetic condition known as Brugada syndrome, which impairs...
Suspect Caught in Istanbul
NYE Nightclub Massacre
Jan 16, 2017 4:35 PM CST
Suspect Caught in Istanbul NYE Nightclub Massacre
Turkish police say they have the gunman who killed 39
- A gunman who killed 39 people during an attack on a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year's celebrations has been caught in a police operation, Turkish media reports said early Tuesday. The suspect was caught in a special operations police raid on a house in a housing complex in...
Turkey Says It Now Knows
Who the Nightclub Gunman Is
Jan 4, 2017 12:03 AM CST
Turkey Says It Now Knows Who the Nightclub Gunman Is
But they haven't released details
- Turkish police on Wednesday detained at least five suspected ISIS militants believed to be linked to the deadly Istanbul nightclub attack , the state-run news agency reported. The operation was launched in the Aegean port city of Izmir and was ongoing, Anadolu Agency said. The gunman, who killed 39 people during...
'Selfie Video' of
Jan 3, 2017 3:20 AM CST
'Selfie Video' of Istanbul Attacker Surfaces
Nightclub gunman may be Central Asian man
- Turkish media on Tuesday ran a "selfie video" of a man they say is the gunman who killed 39 people , most of them foreigners, at an Istanbul nightclub. The video broadcast on Turkish television shows the alleged gunman filming himself with a cellphone at Istanbul's Taksim Square. It...
ISIS Claims Responsibility
for Nightclub Massacre
Jan 2, 2017 6:00 AM CST
ISIS Claims Responsibility for Nightclub Massacre
Chilling video of Istanbul attack emerges
- ISIS has made what is believed to be a credible claim of responsibility for the New Year's Eve horror in Istanbul. "In continuation of the blessed operations that Islamic State is conducting against the protector of the cross, Turkey, a heroic soldier of the caliphate struck one of...
At Least One US Citizen
Injured in Nightclub Attack
Jan 1, 2017 3:28 PM CST
At Least One US Citizen Injured in Nightclub Attack
Istanbul gunman still at large
- At least one citizen is among the wounded in the Sunday terror attack that killed 39 and injured 70 at an Istanbul nightclub, Fox News and CNN report. Authorities are still searching for the gunman, who was dressed as Santa as he went on a shooting spree during New Year'...
First Terror Attack of 2017
Hits Turkey, Killing 39 at Club
Jan 1, 2017 6:00 AM CST
First Terror Attack of 2017 Hits Turkey, Killing 39 at Club
Gunman said to have been dressed as Santa also wounded 70 at Istanbul nightclub Reina: reports
- Heavily armed police have been blocking the snowy street in front of Istanbul's Reina nightclub, where a gunman said to have been dressed as Santa killed at least 39 people and wounded almost 70 during New Year's Eve celebrations, the AP reports. Istanbul's governor says the attacker,...
Explosions Heard Near Soccer
Stadium; 20 Hurt in Istanbul
Dec 10, 2016 2:40 PM CST
Explosions Heard Near Soccer Stadium; 20 Hurt in Istanbul
The attack appears to have been targeting a police bus
- Two explosions hit Saturday night outside a major soccer stadium in Istanbul, and Turkish authorities say about 20 police officers have been wounded, the AP reports. Police cordoned off the area as smoke rose from the newly built Besiktas Stadium. Witnesses said gunfire could be heard in what appeared to...
Iraq's 'Garden of Eden'
Added to Prestigious List
Jul 19, 2016 6:50 PM CDT
Iraq's 'Garden of Eden' Added to Prestigious List
Wetlands of southern Iraq are one of 12 new UNESCO world heritage sites
- Fed by the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, vast and remote wetlands along the border with Iran in southern Iraq that are considered to be the biblical "Garden of Eden" have just been named a UNESCO world heritage site, the United Nations reports. Among the 12 new sites added to...
Jul 1, 2016 1:47 PM CDT
Officials Say 1-Armed Man Behind Istanbul Airport Attack
They call him 'Akhmed One-Arm,' and he's a known terrorist
- The attack on Istanbul's airport that left dozens dead and hundreds injured Tuesday was likely organized by a one-armed Chechen terrorist who goes by "Akhmed One-Arm," Fox News reports. A news organization in Turkey identified Ahmed Chatayev as the organizer of the terrorist attack, as did US...
At Least 36 Killed in Suicide
Bombings at Istanbul Airport
Jun 29, 2016 12:08 AM CDT
At Least 36 Killed in Suicide Bombings at Istanbul Airport
Officials believe ISIS is behind the attack
- Several suicide bombers have hit Istanbul's Ataturk airport, killing at least 36 people and wounding more than 140, Istanbul's governor and other officials said Tuesday. The attack is being linked to ISIS. Turkey's NTV television quoted Istanbul Gov. Vasip Sahin as saying three suicide bombers carried out...
Turkish Cops Use
Tear Gas on
Jun 18, 2016 3:21 PM CDT
Turkish Cops Use Tear Gas on Protestors After Radiohead Attack
Radiohead fans were reportedly attacked by an angry mob in Istanbul
- Turkish police used tear gas and water cannons Saturday to disperse hundreds of demonstrators protesting an attack targeting an event for Radiohead fans the previous night, the AP reports. Skirmishes between police and demonstrators broke out near a record store that hosted the Radiohead event that ended in violence. On...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
McCarthy-Trump Relationship Is Back in the Headlines
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.