Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New England Braces for
Effects of Hurricane Lee
Sep 13, 2023 2:31 PM CDT
New England Braces for Effects of Hurricane Lee
Storm could make landfall in Maine Saturday
- New England is bracing for heavy rains and wind from Hurricane Lee, which is currently on course to pass just west of Bermuda on a track that will take it toward Maine and Canada's Atlantic provinces. The hurricane, currently a Category 3 storm with winds of up to 115mph,...
Hurricane Lee Is Breaking
the Mold, Experts Say
Sep 9, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Hurricane Lee Is Breaking the Mold, Experts Say
Storm could be the edge of a trend posing increasing threat to inland places
- Hurricane Lee is rewriting old rules of meteorology, leaving experts astonished at how rapidly it grew into a goliath Category 5 hurricane. Lee—which just as quickly dropped to a still-dangerous Category 3 and held that strength Saturday—could still be a harbinger as ocean temperatures climb, spawning fast-growing major...
2023 Gets Its First
Category 5 Hurricane
Sep 8, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
2023 Gets Its First Category 5 Hurricane
Hurricane Lee strengthening, hits wind speeds of up to 160mph
- Hurricane Lee whirled through open waters toward the northeast Caribbean late Thursday, becoming the first Category 5 storm of the Atlantic season, the AP reports. Lee was not expected to make landfall although forecasters said tropical storm conditions are possible on some islands. Meteorologists said it was too early...
Lee May Soon Become
Sep 6, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Lee May Soon Become 'Extremely Dangerous'
Tropical storm is set to evolve into a Category 4 or 5 hurricane by the weekend in the Caribbean
- At the moment, Lee is a mere tropical storm churning its way through the Atlantic. By later Wednesday, however, it could be upgraded to a hurricane, and by Friday, it's expected to transform into an "extremely dangerous" one, reports Axios . "There is high confidence that Lee will...
Barrels Into Florida
Aug 30, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Idalia Barrels Into Florida
Hurricane made landfall as Category 3 storm along western Big Bend region
- Hurricane Idalia briefly strengthened to a dangerous Category 4 storm, then fell back to Category 3 status on Wednesday morning as it made landfall in Florida's Big Bend region, where it threatened to unleash massive rainfall and life-threatening storm surges as high as 15 feet. As it made landfall...
Ordered in 8 Florida Counties
Aug 29, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Mandatory Evacuations Ordered in 8 Florida Counties
Hurricane Idalia set to make 'unprecedented' landfall in Big Bend region
- Florida residents living in vulnerable coastal areas were ordered to pack up and leave Tuesday as Hurricane Idalia gained steam in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and threatened to unleash life-threatening storm surges and rainfall. Idalia had strengthened to a Category 2 system on Tuesday afternoon, with...
Nearly 50% of Florida
Under State of Emergency
Aug 28, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Nearly 50% of Florida Under State of Emergency
State braces for hurricane as another wreaks havoc in Caribbean
- Tropical Storm Idalia, brewing off the east coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, is expected to become a hurricane on Tuesday and threaten the US soon after. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday when it was 95 miles from Cozumel, Mexico, and moving northeast at 3mph,...
Evacuations Precede Hilary
Aug 19, 2023 4:29 PM CDT
Evacuations Precede Hilary
Hurricane weakens as it picks up speed before reaching California
- Hurricane Hilary has not yet made landfall in the US, but California officials already are calling for evacuations. The storm has weakened but accelerated, forecasters said, and probably will be downgraded to a tropical storm by Sunday,
the San Diego Union-Tribune
reports. But they still warn of "catastrophic and...
Natural Disasters Hit
These States Most
Aug 19, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Natural Disasters Hit These States Most
But it's good to be in New England
- If it seems like all you're doing lately is reading about wildfires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, mudslides, earthquakes, and on and on and on, well, you're not alone. While it might seem like natural disasters are inescapable, the folks over at WalletHub crunched some data—going back to 1980—...
for Rare Tropical Storm
Aug 18, 2023 5:54 AM CDT
California Braces for Rare Tropical Storm
Hurricane Hilary strengthens to Category 4, is expected to weaken before landfall
- Hurricane Hilary is bearing down on California and the Southwest, driving the region to brace for heavy rain and strong winds. Hilary grew rapidly to Category 4 strength off Mexico's Pacific coast early Friday and it is expected to continue gaining strength before weakening Saturday. The storm "is...
Could Be Brutal
Aug 11, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
This Year's Hurricane Season Could Be Brutal
NOAA revises prediction, says there's likely to be an 'above-normal level of activity'
- More than two months after the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has revised its prediction that it's likely to be near-normal or below normal. NOAA says there's now a 60% chance of an "above-normal level of activity," with...
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Jun 20, 2023 12:22 PM CDT
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Warmer ocean temperatures in the Atlantic are a factor
- Tropical Storm Bret chugged toward the eastern Caribbean on Tuesday as forecasters warned it could strengthen into a rare June hurricane. Bret had maximum sustained winds of 40mph and was moving across the Atlantic Ocean at 17mph, per the AP . It's expected to strengthen into a hurricane in the...
Nicole Moves North After
Toppling Florida Homes
Nov 11, 2022 4:37 AM CST
Nicole Moves North After Toppling Florida Homes
Storm killed at least 2, wrecked dozens of buildings
- Tropical Depression Nicole was moving through Georgia Friday morning after a day of causing havoc as it churned through Florida as a hurricane and then tropical storm. The rare November hurricane could dump as much as 6 inches of rain over the Blue Ridge Mountains, the National Hurricane Center said....
Hurricane Nicole Makes
Landfall in Florida
Nov 10, 2022 4:28 AM CST
Hurricane Nicole Makes Landfall in Florida
Rare November hurricane hits state's east coast
- Hurricane Nicole made landfall early Thursday along the east coast of Florida, just south of Vero Beach. The storm was already battering a large area of the storm-weary state with strong winds, dangerous storm surge, and heavy rain, officials said. The rare November hurricane had already led officials to shut...
Ahead of Hurricane
Nov 9, 2022 7:40 PM CST
Evacuation Orders Ahead of Hurricane Include Mar-a-Lago
Nicole could erode Florida beaches already damaged by Ian
- A Florida-bound storm strengthened into Hurricane Nicole on Wednesday after pounding the Bahamas, as US officials ordered evacuations that included former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club. It's a rare November hurricane for storm-weary Florida, where only two such hurricanes have made landfall since recordkeeping began in 1853—the...
Roslyn Hits Mexico,
Oct 23, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Roslyn Hits Mexico, Misses Resorts
Forecasters warn dangerous storm surge, mudslides are possible
- Hurricane Roslyn slammed into a sparsely populated stretch of Mexico’s Pacific coast between the resorts of Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan on Sunday morning and quickly moved inland. By Sunday morning, Roslyn remained a major hurricane with winds of 120mph, down only slightly from its peak of 130mph. The US...
'Hometown of Tomorrow'
Kept Power on During Ian
Oct 3, 2022 12:28 PM CDT
'Hometown of Tomorrow' Kept Power on During Ian
Florida's Babcock Ranch, US' 'first solar-powered town,' didn't lose electricity
- The stories out of Florida in the wake of Hurricane Ian are harrowing and devastating , with a death toll that continues to climb . One town in the western part of the state, however, fared better than most, with Ian serving as a "true test for the community," per...
Went to Extremes to
Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
in case you missed it
Oct 2, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
Inside one Punta Gorda couple's tale of survival
- As more and more media outlets manage to interview Florida residents who have weathered Hurricane Ian—in many cases emerging with their lives but little else intact— NBC News shares one couple's harrowing story. Christopher Smith suffers from prostate cancer, and had been due to receive radiation treatment on...
Mexico Prepares for Hurricane
Oct 2, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Mexico Prepares for Hurricane
Orlene picks up strength en route
- Hurricane Orlene gained strength Sunday as it headed toward western Mexico, where the US National Hurricane Center warned the "extremely dangerous" storm could cause life-threatening flooding. The storm became a hurricane on Saturday and was posting maximum sustained winds up to 130mph on its way to the coast,
Who Wants to Give Birth in a
Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Sep 30, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Who Wants to Give Birth in a Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Cape Coral resident Amanda Mahr's baby is named George, not Ian
- Amid the nightmarish news out of Florida in the wake of Ian, a bright spot comes via a 10-pound, 6-ounce package delivered in Cape Coral. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of 36-year-old Amanda Mahr, and her husband, Matthew, 37, as they hunkered down to ride out the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.