Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Could These Be the Best
Soundtrack Albums Ever?
Sep 4, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Could These Be the Best Soundtrack Albums Ever?
They are for Steve Hyden, Uproxx's cultural critic
- If you've had your fill of this summer's tunes, and your other playlists are feeling kind of tired, revisiting movie soundtracks can be a fun way to keep the music going. Writing for Uproxx , cultural critic Steve Hyden has compiled his favorites in that genre. He lays out...
Unknown Singer's Song
Becomes Conservative Anthem
in case you missed it
Aug 19, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Unknown Singer's Song Becomes Conservative Anthem
Oliver Anthony's 'Rich Men North of Richmond' praised on the right in particular
- Days after the release of his first professionally recorded song, a relatively unknown country artist and aspiring off-grid farmer from Farmville, Virginia, has suddenly found himself with an audience of millions. It's the kind of success artists like Oliver Anthony only dream of. In the days before the release...
A 'Magical Art Form' Turns 50
Aug 11, 2023 9:16 AM CDT
A 'Magical Art Form' Turns 50
On Aug. 11, 1973, 18-year-old DJ Kool Herc put hip-hop music on the map
- It was born in the break, all those decades ago—that moment when a song's vocals dropped, instruments quieted down, and the beat took the stage. It was then that hip-hop came into the world, taking the moment and reinventing it. The music was something new, coming out of...
Crooner Tony Bennett
Is Dead at 96
Jul 21, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Crooner Tony Bennett Is Dead at 96
Some of his greatest success came after the age of 60
- Tony Bennett, the eminent and timeless stylist whose devotion to classic American songs and knack for creating new standards such as "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" graced a decades-long career, died Friday at 96. He was just two weeks short of his birthday. Publicist Sylvia Weiner confirmed...
Jason Aldean: Accusations
About My Song Are 'Dangerous'
Jul 19, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Jason Aldean: Accusations About My Song Are 'Dangerous'
CMT pulls music video amid backlash over song critics say encourages violence
- Country Music Television pulled a music video from country music superstar Jason Aldean on Monday after critics said it contained racist dog whistles. The lyrics of "Try That in a Small Town," a song released in May, include veiled threats against people who try to seize guns or...
Jul 15, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
US Listeners Gravitating to Non-English Music
Streaming is up, with Spanish and K-pop leading the way
- Is non-English language music the future of the music business? New stats suggest as much, per the AP . The global music industry has surpassed 1 trillion streams at the fastest pace ever in a calendar year, according to Luminate's 2023 Midyear Report . The number was reached in three months,...
Combining Math, Music Study
Boost Student Test Scores
Jul 2, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Combining Math, Music Study Boost Student Test Scores
A half century of research went into drawing this conclusion
- Jazz great Duke Ellington once said music "is as modern as tomorrow" and "endless as ... mathematics." Scientists who combed through 50 years of research might tell the Duke he was onto something. While past research had noted the connection between musical inclination and math ability, a new...
A Butthole Surfer, Symbol
of Generation X, Is Gone
Jun 23, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
A Butthole Surfer, Symbol of Generation X, Is Gone
Teresa Taylor, also of 'Slacker' fame, accepted end-stage lung disease diagnosis with grace
- Teresa Taylor, who drummed with the punk-rock band Butthole Surfers in the 1980s, has died at age 60. The band announced her death Monday, saying she "passed away peacefully this weekend after a long battle with lung disease." In her own post, Taylor's partner and caretaker, Cheryl...
'What Can I
Say?' I'm a
Jun 22, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
Fed Chair: 'What Can I Say?' I'm a Deadhead
At House hearing, Jerome Powell raves about recent Dead & Company show
- A blurry photo taken at a Dead & Company concert in Virginia earlier this month caused quite a stir on social media. Viewed 2.8 million times as of this writing, it shows a gray-haired man in a collared shirt and baseball cap among the crowd of fans watching the...
AI's Latest Trick:
A Final Beatles Song
Jun 13, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
AI's Latest Trick: A Final Beatles Song
Paul McCartney says it will be released this year
- For years, Paul McCartney has teased one final Beatles song. Now, with help from artificial intelligence, it's finally complete. "We just finished it up and it'll be released this year," McCartney told the BBC on Tuesday, adding the song began as a demo from John Lennon....
Meg White Hears the Critics.
No, She Won't Talk About It
Jun 3, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Meg White Hears the Critics. No, She Won't Talk About It
'Elle' profiles the former White Stripes drummer, who is happy to eschew public life
- Earlier this year, the name Meg White was trending on Twitter because a political reporter dissed her drumming for the defunct but iconic rock band the White Stripes. As Melissa Giannini writes in
, the backlash arrived quickly on behalf of the "extremely introverted" White, who disappeared from public...
Jury Sides With Ed Sheeran
in Song-Stealing Trial
May 4, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Jury Sides With Ed Sheeran in Song-Stealing Trial
Singer was accused of pilfering from a Marvin Gaye classic
- Ed Sheeran is not a musical plagiarist, a New York jury decided Thursday. Jurors sided with Sheeran, who maintained he didn't rip off the Marvin Gaye classic "Let's Get It On" when he created his own song "Thinking Out Loud," reports NBC News . Jurors reached...
Here Are Your Inductees
for Rock Hall of Fame
May 3, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Here Are Your Inductees for Rock Hall of Fame
Missy Elliott, first female hip-hop artist to be inducted, joined by Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow
- Missy Elliott will be the first female hip-hop artist inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and in her first year of eligibility to boot. The Cleveland-based institution announced its 2023 inductees on Wednesday, singling out Elliott—who became eligible for induction 25 years after her first commercial...
Song in Court
Apr 24, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Ed Sheeran Prepares to Defend Song in Court
Singer is accused of ripping off the Marvin Gaye classic 'Let's Get It On'
- Jury selection and opening statements are set to begin Monday in a trial that mashes up Ed Sheeran's “Thinking Out Loud” with Marvin Gaye's “Let's Get It On.” The heirs of Ed Townsend, Gaye's co-writer of the 1973 soul classic, sued Sheeran, alleging...
Hit by Drake, the Weeknd
Went Viral. It Wasn't Theirs
Apr 19, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Hit by Drake, the Weeknd Went Viral. It Wasn't Theirs
We have a new can of worms, courtesy of AI
- A song that went viral on streaming platforms over the weekend appeared to feature Drake and The Weeknd trading verses about fellow singer Selena Gomez. But as Mashable reports, "Heart On My Sleeve" was both "very good and very fake." The AI-generated tune had actually come from...
Super Mario Bros. Theme Is
Officially a 'Defining' US Sound
Apr 12, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
Super Mario Bros. Theme Is Officially a 'Defining' US Sound
It enters the National Recording Registry, along with 24 other 'sound artifacts'
- Mario, Madonna, and Mariah have entered the national audio canon. Madonna’s star-making 1984 album
Like a Virgin
, Mariah Carey’s 1994 holiday perennial "All I Want For Christmas Is You," and the original 1985 theme from Super Mario Bros. are now in the US National Recording Registry...
He Spent His Life
Chasing a Music Legend
Apr 9, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
He Spent His Life Chasing a Music Legend
'Texas Monthly' looks at the troubled life of folklorist 'Mack' McCormick
- Two decades ago, Michael Hall wrote a flattering profile of music folklorist Robert "Mack" McCormick for
. Hall's new profile in
of McCormick, who died in 2015, is less flattering and far more complicated. The focus is on McCormick's decades-long quest to write the...
Remember '90s Band Live?
Things Took a Nasty Turn
Mar 5, 2023 3:35 PM CST
Remember '90s Band Live? Things Took a Nasty Turn
'Rolling Stone' explores the group's breakup
- Fans of the '90s band Live can catch them performing these days, but typically at smaller venues in smaller markets, writes Andy Greene at
. Lead singer Ed Kowalczyk still fronts the group, though guitarist Chad Taylor, bassist Patrick Dahlheimer, and drummer Chad Gracey were fired by Kowalczyk...
of Best Songs
by Fake Bands
Mar 4, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Inspires List of Best Songs by Fake Bands
'Rolling Stone' ranks hits from fictional onscreen groups
- The first episodes of the TV series
Daisy Jones & the Six
weren't released on Amazon until Friday, as was the tied-in album, but the fictional musical group already has taken its place among the best bands that never were.
has produced a list of the top...
to Us Is Here
Dec 24, 2022 7:30 AM CST
Obama's Annual Holiday Gift to Us Is Here
Former president shares his list of favorite books, movies, and music in 2022
- If your favorite part of the year is at the end, when ex-presidents release their "best of" lists, Barack Obama has hooked you up yet again. The 61-year-old former commander in chief has released his annual roundup of favorite books, movies, and songs, and the eclectic mix has something...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.