Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
When a Bear Came,
Mom Knew What to Do
Sep 27, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
A Mexican woman is being hailed for calmly and bravely shielding her son's face
- A Mexican mother bravely shielded her son after a bear leapt on a picnic table and devoured the tacos and enchiladas meant for the boy's birthday dinner, inches from his face. Silvia Macías of Mexico City had traveled to the Chipinque Park on the outskirts of the northern...
in case you missed it
Sep 17, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Breakout Singer Has a Problem: Drug Cartels
Mexico's Peso Pluma is getting death threats from one drug gang after he celebrated another in song
- The name Peso Pluma isn't exactly a household one in the US, but the 24-year-old Mexican singer has fast been making a name for himself in the music industry. Among other things, he just performed at the MTV awards show , he is one of the most-listened-to artists on Spotify...
Report: 11K Cheated in
Mexico City Marathon
Sep 7, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Report: 11K Cheated in Mexico City Marathon
Some of them reportedly took public transport to the finish line
- This year's Mexico City Marathon was a carnival of cheating, with more than a third of the 30,000 runners disqualified, according to Spanish sports newspaper
. According to Marca, tracking data showed that 11,000 runners didn't pass checkpoints set up every 3.1 miles along the...
Sep 7, 2023 6:24 AM CDT
Mexico's Next President Will Likely Make History
2 female candidates are set to face off in 2024 election, giving nation its first woman president
- Two women will face off to become president of Mexico, "all but guaranteeing that the country's next leader will be the first woman to hold the office," the Hill reports. Mexico's ruling party announced Wednesday that it has chosen former Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum as...
Mexico's Top Court
Sep 6, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Mexico's Top Court Decriminalizes Abortion Nationwide
Crime will be removed from country's penal code
- Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state. That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th of Mexico's...
Joy During Gender Reveal
Turns Into 'Screams of Distress'
Sep 5, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Joy During Gender Reveal Turns Into 'Screams of Distress'
Pilot crashes plane, dies in Mexico following reveal; creator of gender reveal parties shares her regret
- In a viral video , a plane emitting pink smoke flies low over a couple, announcing they're expecting a baby girl. But as the couple embraces in celebration, disaster strikes. The camera pans away from the couple to the plane, which angles upward, then begins twisting in the air as...
He Pursued Mexico's Missing.
Then 'They Disappeared Him'
Sep 3, 2023 5:31 AM CDT
He Pursued Mexico's Missing. Then 'They Disappeared Him'
Criminologist Juan Carlos Tercero was to join state commission when he vanished, per the 'Guardian'
- Physical anthropologist and criminologist Juan Carlos Tercero is an expert in investigating the murders of victims who've been concealed underwater. He traveled his native Mexico giving talks on the recovery of human remains. Then, just as he was set to join Nayarit state's commission for locating missing people,...
Pair Accused of Trafficking Sea
Cucumbers Could Get 25 Years
Sep 2, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Pair Accused of Trafficking Sea Cucumbers Could Get 25 Years
Zunyu Zhao, Xionwei Xiao plead guilty to illegal importation of endangered species worth $10K
- Wildlife traffickers pleaded guilty this week in federal court in California to illegally importing endangered sea cucumbers—which are prized in China for food and medicine and as a reputed aphrodisiac—from Mexico. Zunyu Zhao and Xionwei Xiao were charged with conspiracy and illegal importation of brown sea cucumbers worth...
Texas National Guardsman
Shoots Man Across Border
Aug 29, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Texas National Guardsman Shoots Man Across Border
Wounded man across the Rio Grande is Mexican, and incident is under investigation
- An unusual shooting involving a soldier with the Texas National Guard is under investigation. The Guardsman fired across the Rio Grande and wounded a Mexican man Saturday evening, reports the
Dallas Morning News
. The man identified as Darwin Jose Garcia, 37, was hit in the leg and is recuperating, per...
Me, My Kids
Robbed at Home
Aug 22, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Spanish Singer: Me, My Kids Were Bound, Robbed at Home
Miguel Bosé says his Mexico City home was ransacked; staff was also tied up
- Spanish pop star Miguel Bosé said Monday that 10 armed assailants burst into his house in Mexico City and tied him up, along with his two children and household staff, for more than two hours while they ransacked the premises, the AP reports. Bosé wrote on his Instagram account that...
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes
Big Find on Border Barrier
Aug 16, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes Big Find on Border Barrier
Topographical survey discovers that nearly 80% of controversial buoy barrier is in Mexico, not US
- Migrant advocates, environmentalists, and the Mexican and US governments have all pushed back at the controversial border barrier Texas has installed in the Rio Grande to prevent migrants from crossing into the United States. Despite recovering at least two bodies along the barrier since it was installed in July, and...
Mexico's New Airline
Will Be Run by the Army
Aug 11, 2023 9:41 AM CDT
Mexico's New Airline Will Be Run by the Army
Mexicana will offer low-cost domestic flights, government says
- Mexico is getting a new airline with an old name—and it's going to be run by the country's military. The government said Thursday that the airline will be launched later this year under the name of Mexicana de Aviacion, the national carrier that went bust in 2010,...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
Mexico Finds Capsized Boat
of Missing US Sailor
Jul 26, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Mexico Finds Capsized Boat of Missing US Sailor
Mexican Navy spots Baltimore man Donald Lawson's racing yacht off Acapulco
- A sailboat belonging to a Baltimore man who lost contact with family two weeks ago while sailing home from Mexico has reportedly been spotted capsized some 300 miles off the Mexican coast. A Mexican Navy search plane spotted what is believed to be Donald Lawson's 60-foot trimaran racing yacht...
Cartel Leaves Grisly
Messages of Warning
Jul 6, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
Cartel Leaves Grisly Messages of Warning
Body parts and handwritten signs strewn about in Mexico state's capital of Toluca
- A cartel turf war has taken a gruesome turn near Mexico City, with body parts strewn about the city of Toluca. The severed leg of one victim was hung from a bridge, with the trunk of his body left on the street below, reports the AP . Parts of at least...
Ancient Mayan City
Found in Dense Jungle
Jun 21, 2023 1:28 PM CDT
Ancient Mayan City Found in Dense Jungle
Yucatan site was an important center more than 1,000 years ago, archaeologists say
- Archaeologists searching an area of uninhabited jungle almost the size of Rhode Island have found the Mayan equivalent of Providence. Mexico's anthropology institute says the previously unknown ancient city was spotted in searches of the Balamku ecological reserve on the Yucatan Peninsula using aerial laser mapping, reports Reuters . Researchers...
Caught in Payment Dispute, an
OIympian Takes Off His Clothes
Jun 18, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Caught in Payment Dispute, an OIympian Takes Off His Clothes
Mexican diver Diego Balleza has started an OnlyFans to help pay for Olympic training
- As a prominent 10-meter diver, Diego Balleza is used to wearing small swimsuits that show off his body. Now, desperate due to a lack of financial resources ahead of next year's Paris Olympics, the Mexican is making a leap to a different platform in which he also wears few...
US Couple Found Dead
at Mexican Resort
Jun 15, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
US Couple Found Dead at Mexican Resort
Americans' deaths remain under investigation in Baja California Sur
- An American couple vacationing at a luxury hotel in Mexico has been found dead in their hotel room, reports ABC News . John Heathco, 41, and Abby Lutz, 28, both from Newport Beach, California, were found in the Hotel Rancho Pescadero in Baja California Sur state. The investigation continues, but local...
Tijuana Mayor Moving to
Army Base for Her Protection
Jun 14, 2023 12:33 AM CDT
Tijuana Mayor Moving to Army Base for Her Protection
Montserrat Caballero says she's received threats
- The mayor of the Mexican border city of Tijuana said she has decided to live at an army base for her own safety, after she received threats. Mayor Montserrat Caballero announced the decision after confirming that police had found seven dead bodies stuffed in a pickup truck on Monday, the...
Mexico: Remains May Match
Missing Call Center Workers
Jun 2, 2023 3:36 PM CDT
Mexico: Remains May Match Missing Call Center Workers
45 bags had been thrown into a ravine near Guadalajara
- Law enforcement officials in Mexico said they might have found the remains of seven employees of a Guadalajara call center who were reported missing in late May. The remains were found in 45 bags that had been thrown into a ravine. The remains have not been identified, CNN reports, but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.