Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
That Lava May
Look Cool, but Iceland
Says Stay Away
Jul 11, 2023 1:16 PM CDT
That Lava May Look Cool, but Iceland Says Stay Away
Authorities warn tourists away from erupting Fagradalsfjall volcano, which is spewing toxic gases
- Authorities in Iceland on Tuesday warned tourists and other spectators to stay away from a newly erupting volcano that's spewing lava and noxious gases from a fissure in the country's southwest. The eruption began Monday afternoon after thousands of earthquakes in the area, meteorological authorities said. This one...
Iceland Yanks Its Whale Hunt
Jun 21, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Iceland Yanks Its Whale Hunt
Suspends its annual hunt until the last 2 weeks of the season, in a likely death knell
- Iceland is one of three nations left on the planet that still hunts whales commercially, and it looks like it may be bowing out of that small, controversial group on a humanitarian basis. As AFP reports, Reykjavik announced it's suspending the annual whaling season—which runs from mid-June to...
Iceland Is Granting Citizenship
to Pussy Riot Members
May 10, 2023 5:29 PM CDT
Iceland Is Granting Citizenship to Pussy Riot Members
Russian protest band honored with Woody Guthrie Award
- Two members of the Russian protest and performance art band Pussy Riot are on course to become citizens of Iceland after fleeing their homeland. Maria Alyokhina and Lucy Shtein are on a list of people to receive fast-tracked citizenship through parliamentary decree, reports Iceland Review . After Russia invaded Ukraine last...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
Iceland Cops Foil
'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Sep 23, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Iceland Cops Foil 'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Police seize firearms, ammo apparently meant to be used in terror attacks, a rare phenomenon in that nation
- A raid Wednesday in and near Reykjavik turned up not only a mess of firearms and ammunition, but also the discovery of an alleged terror plot that was apparently foiled. Gunnar Horour Garoarsson, a spokesman for Iceland's national police force, announced that four native men, all believed to be...
Inside the Push to Stop
Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
in case you missed it
May 22, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Calls are rising to stop allowing farms to extract hormone from pregnant mares
- As far as alleged animal abuse goes, this is likely a practice you haven't heard of—and, if campaigners have their way, you won't in the future. The
reports on a growing call for Iceland's harvesting of Pregnant Mare Serum Gonadotropin (PMSG) to be banned. As...
Famed YouTube Skateboarder
Dies in Plane Crash
Feb 8, 2022 12:03 PM CST
Famed YouTube Skateboarder Dies in Plane Crash
Bodies of Josh Neuman, 3 others found in Iceland's second-largest lake
- American skateboarder and YouTube star Josh Neuman is one of four people confirmed to have died in a small plane crash in Iceland. The bodies of the 22-year-old, the pilot of the Cessna 172, and two other passengers were discovered Sunday in Lake Thingvallavatn—Iceland's second-largest lake, some 30...
4 Hours in Plane
Dec 30, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Woman Spends 4 Hours in Plane Bathroom After Testing Positive
She took rapid test after getting sore throat on Icelandair flight
- A Chicago woman ended up in the Mile High Quarantine Club after she tested positive for COVID-19 on a flight between Newark. NJ, and Iceland. Marisa Fotieo told the
show Wednesday that she went to the bathroom and took a rapid test when her throat started to hurt during...
Iceland Just Misses
Electing a European First
Sep 27, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Scratch That: Iceland Just Misses Electing a European First
Women did not actually take a majority of parliament seats in Iceland's election
After a recount, it was determined that Iceland actually did
elect the first-ever European parliament with a female majority Sunday. Initial results showed women won 33 of the 63 seats, but the recount showed the true number of wins for female candidates was 30, or 47.6% of...
Facility in Iceland Is Now
Sucking CO2 From the Air
Sep 16, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Facility in Iceland Is Now Sucking CO2 From the Air
It's the world's biggest carbon capture plant
- The world's biggest carbon capture plant is now sucking CO2 from the air in Iceland—and while the amounts involved are relatively tiny compared to the massive scale of the world's emissions problem, its builder says it is a step in the right direction. The plant, built on...
5 Fascinating Places
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
5 Fascinating Places You're Prohibited From Visiting
Business Insider rounds up unique, forbidden places around the world
- You may be looking for a remote spot, far from people, for your next travel destination. But Business Insider wants to remind you that some far-off places are better left alone—particularly if you want to avoid charges or, worse, death. Five unique, forbidden places:
In Iceland, Shorter Workweek
an 'Overwhelming Success'
Jul 6, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
In Iceland, Shorter Workweek an 'Overwhelming Success'
Workers who put in 35-36 hours instead of 40 were happier, more productive, per 4-year experiment
- Iceland always seems to fall near the top of most "happiest nations" lists, and this experimentation with a shorter workweek may have just cemented its spot. For four years, between 2015 and 2019, more than 1% of the nation's workforce (2,500 workers or so) from all types...
Hikers Have to Vamoose
as Volcano Speaks Up
Apr 5, 2021 12:56 PM CDT
Hikers Have to Vamoose as Volcano Speaks Up
Iceland's latest eruption suggests a shift is underway
- As volcanic eruptions go, the latest one in Iceland has been a relatively tame affair. Gentle lava flows have allowed hikers in Geldinga Valley to get up close and personal—and even roast hot dogs, as photos rounded up in the
show. Things changed Monday, however, when a new...
After More Than 40K
Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Mar 20, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After More Than 40K Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Volcano on Iceland's Reykjanes Peninsula finally blew on Friday night
- They knew it was coming. For weeks, residents in Iceland have been feeling the ground tremble as the island nation was pummeled by tens of thousands of tiny earthquakes , a phenomenon that scientists warned appeared to be a precursor to a volcanic eruption. On Friday night, that eruption took place...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
After 17K Earthquakes,
Iceland Expects Eruption
Mar 4, 2021 4:02 AM CST
After 17K Earthquakes, Iceland Expects Eruption
'It makes you feel very small and powerless against nature,' Reykjavik resident says
- Small earthquakes are nothing new or surprising for Icelanders—but 17,000 of them in a week is enough to rattle them. Scientists say the swarm of quakes suggests Mount Keiler, 20 miles away from Reykjavik, could be about to erupt for the first time since the 12th century, the...
Why Some People Think
Rotten Fish Smells Great
Oct 9, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Why Some People Think Rotten Fish Smells Great
They aren't crazy but may have a rare gene mutation
- If you don't mind the smell of rotting fish, you might be one of the rare people to possess a just-discovered gene mutation that hints at just how different people's smell and taste senses can be. Researchers in Iceland set out to learn more about the variants that...
Looking to Raise a Family?
These 10 Nations Are Tops
Jul 24, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Looking to Raise a Family? These 10 Nations Are Tops
The US doesn't make the cut—in fact, it's got a dismal ranking
- No one's able to go much of anywhere at the moment , but one day, when the pandemic is over, you may be on the hunt for the best place to settle down and have kids. Travel and family journalism website Asher & Lyric did the legwork for us, sifting...
Dozens Hold Funeral
for a 'Symbolic' Death
Aug 18, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Dozens Hold Funeral for a 'Symbolic' Death
Iceland bids farewell to its first glacier lost to climate change
- It was a funeral for ice. With poetry, moments of silence, and political speeches about the urgent need to fight climate change, Icelandic officials, activists, and others bade goodbye to what once was a glacier, the AP reports. Icelandic geologist Oddur Sigurðsson pronounced the Okjokull glacier extinct about a...
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Aug 18, 2019 9:52 AM CDT
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Ceremony in Iceland to include a warning about climate change
- With a bronze plaque, a ceremony, and a warning that more will follow, Iceland on Sunday is marking the loss of its first glacier to climate change. Researchers from Iceland and the US, as well as the nation's prime minister and Mary Robinson, former UN Human Rights Commissioner and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.