Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 6, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Tim Scott Braves
, Gets Booed
Whoopi Goldberg chided the audience as Scott commented on DeSantis, Disney
- Tim Scott braved
on Monday to discuss his presidential campaign, and the Republican senator got booed—though co-host Whoopi Goldberg had his back, in a way. The boos came when Scott, commenting on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' ongoing feud with Disney, said, "Disney and Ron have been...
May 19, 2023 12:59 PM CDT
Editorial: We Hope Nation Is Watching
Newspaper blames governor for loss of huge Disney development, but not all agree
- Disney has pulled the plug on a $1 billion project in Florida, and most (but by no means all) see the company's ongoing feud with Gov. Ron DeSantis as the primary reason. That feud, of course, started last year when the company criticized the state education law that detractors...
2 People Just Got
From Disney World
May 18, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
2 People Just Got Themselves Banned From Disney World
Brawl started with a member of one group asking another group to move
- Two people have been banned from "the most magical place on earth" after getting in a physical altercation over taking photos there. At the Walt Disney World resort's Magic Kingdom, a member of a family was posing for a picture in front of a Disney Co. 100th anniversary...
May 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Has Anyone Seen Bruce?
Liz Atkinson is 'completely desperate' to find stuffed elephant with late son's ashes, lost in Florida
- "I am completely desperate and hoping this blows up and we find our elephant!" So begins a May 6 Facebook plea from Liz Atkinson, an ER nurse from Iowa who's doing all she can to find a stuffed animal that went missing during a family vacation in...
Disney CEO Asks if DeSantis
Wants Disney in Florida
May 12, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Disney CEO Asks if DeSantis Wants Disney in Florida
Iger defends his company in earnings call
- The comments were made during an earnings call, but the questions posed by Disney boss Bob Iger this week were aimed at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. The two have been sparring for more than a year, with words and actions. Against that backdrop, Bob Iger asked during the call if...
DeSantis Board OKs Disney Suit
May 1, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
DeSantis Board OKs Disney Suit
Company is seeking to block Florida governor's takeover of district
- Days after Disney sued Florida's governor in federal court for what it described as retaliation for opposing the state's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, members of Disney World's governing board—made up of Gov. Ron DeSantis appointees—authorized a lawsuit Monday against the entertainment giant....
Apr 28, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
Did DeSantis Miscalculate Against Disney?
Even fellow Republicans are questioning his escalating fight against the company
- Now that Disney has fired back in a big way at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a common theme in coverage has emerged, one that questions whether DeSantis has taken on too big of a fight ahead of his expected entry into the 2024 race. He may well prove the naysayers...
Disney-DeSantis Feud Hits
Next Level: Disney Sues
Apr 26, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
Disney-DeSantis Feud Hits Next Level: Disney Sues
Entertainment giant alleges 'targeted campaign of government retaliation'
- The Disney-DeSantis feud just leveled up in a big way. The Walt Disney company filed a federal lawsuit against the Florida governor on Wednesday, alleging he waged a "targeted campaign of government retaliation" after the company opposed the so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill last year, reports CNBC...
Could Get 5 Years for
Alleged 'Guilty Pleasure'
Apr 24, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Ex-Disney Worker Could Get 5 Years for Alleged 'Guilty Pleasure'
Cops say Jorge Diaz Vega, 26, had 500 videos on phone that were recorded up women's skirts
- Troubling news emerged out of Disney over the past few days, on both sides of the country. First, a 45-foot-tall animatronic dragon went up in flames over the weekend in California's Disneyland, though thankfully no one was hurt. Now, out of Florida, a disturbing development from Disney World. According...
Disney Has a Big
Surprise for DeSantis
Mar 30, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Disney Has a Big Surprise for DeSantis
Surprise language in 11th-hour deal effectively wrests power away from Florida governor's board
- Last month, Ron DeSantis declared himself the "new sheriff in town" at Disney World, after he hand-picked members for a board that oversees what was formerly known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the special tax district for Disney's Orlando-area theme parks. His move came amid a contentious...
Disney Has Another
Throwdown for DeSantis
Mar 22, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Disney Has Another Throwdown for DeSantis
Company to host major LGBTQ conference in September
- Ron DeSantis' very public battle with Walt Disney World continues, now with another move by the latter to support LGBTQ rights. Disney World will be hosting a major summit from Sept. 11-14 to help boost lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights in the workplace, with execs and team members from...
Popular Disney Ride Has
Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2023 7:25 AM CST
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
People are hawking water they say is from Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain for thousands of dollars
- Splash Mountain has officially gone dry, at least for now. The popular log-flume ride in Disney World's Magic Kingdom, which opened in 1992, transported its last fans on Sunday, with the theme park shuttering the attraction to work on a reimagining of it. The new incarnation, set to open...
Odd Florida Exile:
Lots of Fans
Jan 10, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Bolsonaro's Odd Florida Exile: KFC, Selfies, Lots of Fans
Former Brazil leader is staying in a vacation home in Orlando suburb near Disney World
- It's a strange juxtaposition in regard to Brazil: In the capital, police have restored order after arresting more than 1,000 rioting supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro. In Florida, meanwhile, Bolsonaro himself is leading an unusual new life of "fast-food runs and selfies," as the
Suspect on the Lam Turns
Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Nov 5, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Suspect on the Lam Turns Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Quashon Burton, accused of COVID relief fraud, was busted by federal officer in Disney World
- It's being called "the world's most magical arrest," though it probably doesn't feel very magical for the arrestee. Police say a Brooklyn man who's been on the lam for almost a year was taken into custody last month in the so-called happiest place on...
At Disney, No More 'Fairy
Godmothers in Training'
Jul 22, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
At Disney, No More 'Fairy Godmothers in Training'
Theme parks will use the gender-neutral 'apprentice'
- Employees who help transform children through the magic of makeup and costumes into Disney characters at the company's theme parks will have a new job title, in an attempt to be more inclusive. The cast members at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques will be called "Fairy Godmother's Apprentices"...
Man Accused of Disney
Scheme Involving R2-D2 Statue
Jul 1, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Man Accused of Disney Scheme Involving R2-D2 Statue
Authorities say David Proudfoot posed as Disney World worker, moved droid replica
- According to authorities, David Proudfoot posed as a worker at Disney World and moved a $10,000 replica of R2-D2 from its place at a Disney resort. According to Proudfoot, he was just trying to do the park a favor. FOX 35 reports the 44-year-old Kissimmee resident was arrested on...
Says Florida's Move
Might Be Illegal
Apr 27, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Disney District Says Florida's Move Might Be Illegal
1967 law that created district says it can't be dissolved before bondholders are paid
- Florida's government has passed a law repealing the self-governing district Disney has had in the state for 55 years—but since the two-page law fails to address some very complicated issues, the Reedy Creek Improvement District says business will continue as usual for now. Reedy Creek has told investors...
New Florida Law Could Mean
Huge Tax Hikes for Residents
Apr 22, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
New Florida Law Could Mean Huge Tax Hikes for Residents
With DeSantis signing legislation, Orange County doesn't know how it can raise revenue to pay difference
- Florida's governor and legislature have decided to eliminate the Reedy Creek District , Disney World's private government, in a political battle over the state's new law known as "Don't Say Gay." But the bill for the move will go to local officials. "The moment...
Under Fire After
Mar 22, 2022 1:04 AM CDT
Disney World Under Fire After Performance by 'Indianettes'
Texas high school band and dance team performed at Florida theme park
- Disney World is being widely criticized after a Texas high school band and drill team performed in one of the Florida theme park's parades over spring break and was accused of appropriating Native American culture. In video of the Port Neches-Groves High School performance, which went viral, the school'...
Among 108 Arrested
March Sadness 2'
Mar 17, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Disney Workers Among 108 Arrested in 'Operation March Sadness 2'
Florida sting operation targeted prostitution, human trafficking
- A sheriff's office in Florida says 108 people were arrested, including a retired judge and several Disney employees, during a sting operation to combat human trafficking, prostitution, and child sexual abuse. Most of those busted in "Operation March Sadness 2" were arrested for seeking a prostitute or "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.