Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hokkaido's Bears Are
Starving Amid Fish Shortage
Sep 27, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
Hokkaido's Bears Are Starving Amid Fish Shortage
Up to 80% of brown bear cubs in one area have died
- This is the time of year when brown bears in Japan's northernmost island usually feast on salmon, packing on weight to prepare for hibernation. But this year, salmon numbers are very low and bears on Hokkaido's Shiretoko Peninsula are starving. Last week, people on a tour boat captured...
Japan's Dementia Treatment
'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Sep 26, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Japan's Dementia Treatment 'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Country with rapidly aging population OKs its first Alzheimer's drug
- Japan's Health Ministry has approved Leqembi, a drug for Alzheimer's disease that was jointly developed by Japanese and US pharmaceutical companies. As the AP reports, it's the first drug for treatment of the disease in a country with a rapidly aging population. Developed by Japanese drugmaker Eisai...
Japan Hits a
Sep 19, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Japan Hits a Gray Milestone
Nation clocks in with more than 10% of population over age 80 for first time
- It is very, very common knowledge that the median age of Japan's population is, well, not associated with the term "spring chicken." With what the BBC reports is the planet's oldest population—the yardstick there being the percentage of people 65 or older, of which Japan...
With This Rocket
Hopes for a
Sep 7, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
With This Rocket Launch, Japan Hopes for a 'Qualitative Shift'
SLIM lunar lander is set to reach moon in February, hopefully within just hundreds of feet of its target
- Last month, India became the fourth nation to achieve a moon landing . Japan wants to be No. 5, and this week it launched a $100 million mission that it hopes will help it achieve that goal. The Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said its H-IIA rocket took off Thursday morning...
Japan Weighs Moving
Against Unification Church
Sep 4, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Japan Weighs Moving Against Unification Church
Government is investigating fundraising activities
- Japan's government, which is investigating the Unification Church's fundraising practices in light of the assassination of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, is considering going to court to have the church dissolved if the evidence gathered is convincing. A Japanese newspaper,
, reported that government officials said...
In China, an Unusual Tactic
to Boost Young Marriage
Sep 2, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
In China, an Unusual Tactic to Boost Young Marriage
One region is bestowing cash for brides under 25
- Officials in one part of China are urging people to get married at a young age, with cash as an incentive. Couples who marry in Zhejiang province's Changshan County when the bride is 25 or younger will receive a $137 cash bonus, the county announced last week, noting the...
Japan to China: Stop
the Abusive Phone Calls
Aug 28, 2023 5:03 AM CDT
Japan to China: Stop the Abusive Phone Calls
Country speaks out about Chinese complaints over release of Fukushima wastewater
- Some in China are extremely unhappy about the release of treated radioactive wastewater from Japan's Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, placing abusive phone calls to government departments, schools, restaurants, even a concert hall and aquarium in Japan, per the BBC . More than a million tons of treated radioactive wastewater...
Doctor in Japan Kills Self After
Working 100 Days Straight
in case you missed it
Aug 27, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Doctor in Japan Kills Self After Working 100 Days Straight
He worked more than 200 hours of overtime in a month, labor office says
- Before he took his own life last year, a young doctor in Japan had worked 100 days in a row and put in more than 200 hours of overtime in a month, according to the country's labor standards inspection office. Relatives of 26-year-old Takashima Shingo, who killed himself after...
US, Japan, and South Korea
Agree to Consult in Crisis
Aug 18, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
US, Japan, and South Korea Agree to Consult in Crisis
Nations also expand economic ties in Camp David meeting
- President Biden and the leaders of Japan and South Korea agreed Friday to expand security and economic ties at a historic summit at the presidential retreat of Camp David. Their meeting comes at a time when the three countries are on an increasingly tense ledge in their relations with China...
'Something Special' Is About
to Go Down at Camp David
Aug 18, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
'Something Special' Is About to Go Down at Camp David
In rare summit at Maryland retreat, President Biden, Japan PM, South Korean president to meet
- On Friday, President Biden will host a summit at Camp David with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol, "bridging generations of friction between the two Asian powers to forge mutual security arrangements in the face of an increasingly assertive China," reports the...
on Japan Called
Aug 8, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Chinese Cyberattack on Japan Called 'Shockingly Bad'
China reportedly hacked into Japan's classified defense networks in just-revealed 2020 attack
- In an incident that reportedly happened in 2020 but is only just now being revealed, a dozen anonymous sources tell the
that China hacked into Japan's classified defense networks. A former US military official who was briefed on the cyberattack tells the
, "It was bad—...
4 People Attacked by
Dolphins on Japan Beach
Jul 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
4 People Attacked by Dolphins on Japan Beach
Officials are warning swimmers away from the water if dolphins are seen
- Over the course of one day on a central Japan beach, four people were attacked by dolphins. Early Sunday, a man in his 60s was attacked a few yards off the popular Suishohama Beach in the town of Mihama, Fukui prefecture; he was left with broken ribs and bites to...
Teenager Carves Name
at Ancient Temple
Jul 10, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Teenager Carves Name at Ancient Temple
Police in Japan question and release 17-year-old, who still could face charges
- A teenage boy was caught scratching a name into an 8th-century temple in Japan, police say, weeks after a young tourist was filmed leaving his mark on the Colosseum in Rome. The 17-year-old Canadian carved "Julian" on a wooden pillar with his fingernail at the Toshodaiji Kondo temple complex...
UN Watchdog to Japan:
OK to Dump Wastewater in Sea
Jul 5, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
UN Watchdog to Japan: OK to Dump Wastewater in Sea
Critics aren't happy about release of radioactive water from Fukushima nuclear power plant
- A little radioactive water in the Pacific? Not that big a deal, at least according to the United Nations' nuclear watchdog, which gave the OK Tuesday for Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to dump more than a million tons of treated wastewater into the Pacific Ocean. NPR notes...
16K Were Forcibly Sterilized
Under Japanese Law
Jun 20, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
16K Were Forcibly Sterilized Under Japanese Law
The youngest victims were 9 years old, government report says
- Japan's parliament has released a disturbing report on the forced sterilization program that took place under a eugenics law that lasted until 1996. The 1,400-page report, which followed a three-year investigation, found that children as young as nine years old were sterilized to stop them ever having "...
Japan's Age of
Is No Longer 13
Jun 16, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Japan's Age of Sexual Consent Is No Longer 13
Definition of rape broadened in overhaul of sex crime laws
- Japan has passed what campaigners say is a long overdue overhaul of its sex crime laws. The new laws broaden the definition of rape and raise the age of sexual consent from 13 to 16, though a person who has sex with a minor between 13 and 15 will only...
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes
After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Jun 12, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Japan's Sushiro chain says high schooler licked sushi, claims customers fled after viral video
- A high schooler in Japan has been hit with a nearly half-million-dollar lawsuit, after a sushi eatery says viral footage of his antics caused a huge customer dip. Broadcaster NHK reports that Akindo Sushiro Co., parent company of the Sushiro chain, is suing the teen for $480,000, accusing him...
'Gratuitous House Party'
Sinks Japan PM's Son
May 30, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
'Gratuitous House Party' Sinks Japan PM's Son
Fumio Kishida's eldest son is resigning as his executive policy secretary
- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Monday his eldest son is resigning as his executive policy secretary over what
calls a "gratuitous house party." The 32-year-old used the prime minister's residence for a private party that was exposed in magazine photos, triggering public outrage. As the...
As Japan Drops Masks,
Smile Coaching Booms
May 21, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
As Japan Drops Masks, Smile Coaching Booms
Tutors are teaching people how to smile again to improve confidence and socialization
- After three years hidden behind face masks, some Japanese people have developed a "complex" about their smiles and are willing to pay big money to fix it. "Smile coaches" are offering "smile education" to help people relearn to smile without looking awkward. And no, "I'm...
Connecticut Woman Vanishes
While Hiking in Japan
May 2, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Connecticut Woman Vanishes While Hiking in Japan
Patricia Wu-Murad hasn't been seen since April 10
- A 60-year-old Connecticut woman vanished on a hiking trail in Japan last month, and her family has traveled there to organize a remarkable search effort. But hope is fading because Patricia Wu-Murad has not been seen since April 10. "We're trying to hold out for a miracle but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.