Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boston Red Sox
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Trump Won' Banner
Is a Ticket Out of Fenway
Jun 8, 2021 4:03 PM CDT
'Trump Won' Banner Is a Ticket Out of Fenway
Crowd cheers as security escorts the man from the ballpark
- A spectator at Fenway Park in Boston on Monday night drew cheers, though not the way he wanted to. The fan, who was not identified, was kicked out of the ballpark after raising a banner saying "Trump Won Save America" over the center field wall in the fourth inning...
Red Sox Pitcher
Aug 3, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
COVID Heart Problem Sidelines Red Sox Pitcher
Eduardo Rodríguez is out for the entire season
- Boston Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodríguez will miss the entire season because of heart inflammation caused by COVID-19, the AP reports. He has been on the injured list since mid-July and has not pitched this season. “In the course of monitoring Eduardo after his return, we discovered that...
Team Sends 254-Foot Message
Jul 23, 2020 6:54 PM CDT
Team Sends 254-Foot Message
MLB agrees to allow showings of support for social justice throughout the league
- The Red Sox have not always shown support for civil rights. Boston was the last MLB franchise to integrate, per
—in 1959, 12 years after Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. Just last month, the Red Sox apologized for racist attacks in Fenway Park against Black players...
Boston Gets Off Lightly
in Sign-Stealing Scandal
Apr 23, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Boston Gets Off Lightly in Sign-Stealing Scandal
Red Sox stripped of draft pick, Alex Cora suspended
- The Boston Red Sox escaped severe penalties in Major League Baseball's cheating investigation on Wednesday, with Commissioner Rob Manfred concluding that the 2018 World Series champions' sign-stealing efforts were less egregious than the Astros' when they won it all the previous season, the AP reports. Ex-manager Alex Cora was...
Baseball Is Being Sued—
by Fantasy Players
Feb 25, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Baseball Is Being Sued— by Fantasy Players
They say their bets were tainted by the Astros' cheating
- The MLB is urging a judge to dismiss a class-action lawsuit brought by five fans who say their fantasy baseball scores suffered because the Houston Astros stole signs . The plaintiffs are suing the MLB, MLB Advanced Media, the Astros, and the Boston Red Sox (also accused of stealing signs ),...
MLB Sign-Stealing Mastermind
Loses His Job, Too
Jan 15, 2020 6:33 AM CST
MLB Sign-Stealing Mastermind Loses His Job, Too
Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora is out
- Baseball's newest cheating scandal has just felled it second big-name manager of the week. The Boston Red Sox say they've "parted ways" with Alex Cora, who led the team to a World Series in 2018, reports the
. It was seen as a preemptive strike because...
Sep 14, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
David Ortiz: Here's What Really Happened
The former Red Sox slugger tells what it was like to be shot
- "I almost died, man. I was in a coma. People were criticizing me as if I deserved to be killed." So said a teary-eyed David Ortiz in his first interview after being shot in the Dominic Republic on June 9, CNN reports. When the bullet slashed through his...
Padres Pull a Fast One
on Visiting Red Sox Fans
Aug 26, 2019 6:13 AM CDT
Padres Pull a Fast One on Visiting Red Sox Fans
They got rickrolled during 'Sweet Caroline'
- Yes, rickrolling is still a thing, and a memorable one took place Sunday during the game between the San Diego Padres and the visiting Boston Red Sox. Between innings, the stadium scoreboard pleased Boston fans by inviting everyone to sing along with the Red Sox fan favorite "Sweet Caroline,...
Hospital Releases David Ortiz
Jul 28, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Hospital Releases David Ortiz
Retired Red Sox star was shot in the back last month
- David Ortiz, the retired Red Sox star who was shot in the back last month, has been released from a Boston hospital. He was sitting on a bar patio in Santo Domingo on June 9 when a gunman approached and shot him; the lead prosecutor has said Ortiz may have...
Meghan Markle, Harry
Step Out for a Ball Game
Jun 30, 2019 7:43 AM CDT
Meghan Markle, Harry Step Out for a Ball Game
The royals welcome the Yankees, Red Sox in British debut; Meghan meets a relative
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made one of their first joint outings since introducing baby Archie , and it was to mark the arrival of American royalty of sorts—the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees making Major League Baseball's debut across the pond. The
Dominican AG Agrees
With Ortiz Shooting Suspect
Jun 19, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Dominican AG Agrees With Ortiz Shooting Suspect
Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez says there was another target
- The Dominican Republic's lead prosecutor says former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the target of a shooting in a nightclub in his hometown on June 9, the AP reports. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez says the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was...
The Price on
Jun 13, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
The Price on Ortiz's Head? $7,830
Alleged shooter is now in custody
- Police in the Dominican Republic revealed more details of a plot to kill Red Sox great David Ortiz Wednesday—but they declined to discuss possible motives. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said alleged shooter Rolfi Ferreira Cruz, 25, had been arrested, CNN reports. Six people are now...
Wounded 'Big Papi'
Returns to Boston
Jun 11, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Wounded 'Big Papi' Returns to Boston
Red Sox flew him back for treatment
- Beloved Red Sox slugger David Ortiz landed in Boston on Monday night, just 24 hours after he was shot at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic. The former player was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after arriving on a plane chartered by the team, the
reports. The 43-year-old...
Key Police Question:
Was 'Big Papi' the Target?
Jun 10, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Key Police Question: Was 'Big Papi' the Target?
Former Red Sox star David Ortiz recuperating from gunshot wound
- By all accounts, former Red Sox star David Ortiz is out of imminent danger after being shot in a Dominican Republic bar Sunday night. However, the 43-year-old did suffer serious injuries, including organ damage, and will remain in the ICU for 24 hours, reports the
. Citing a person...
Red Sox Legend Wounded
in Dominican Republic Shooting
Jun 10, 2019 2:47 AM CDT
Red Sox Legend Wounded in Dominican Republic Shooting
David Ortiz expected to make full recovery
- Boston Red Sox great David Ortiz is in stable condition after a shooting in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night, police say. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte says the 43-year-old slugger was shot in the back from behind at near point-blank range at a nightclub in Santo...
for Error, Dies
May 27, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Bill Buckner, Star Hitter Remembered for Error, Dies
First basemen shouldered blame for 1986 World Series loss
- Bill Buckner, a star hitter who became known for one of the most infamous plays in baseball history, has died. He was 69. Buckner's family said in a statement that he died Monday after a long battle with dementia, the AP reports. "Bill fought with courage and grit...
Former Red Sox Star:
I Wouldn't Go to WH, Either
May 9, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Former Red Sox Star: I Wouldn't Go to WH, Either
"It's like you are going to shake hands with the enemy," David Ortiz says
- Thursday is the day when the 2018 World Series champs are headed to the White House for a visit with President Trump. But a good number of the Boston Red Sox don't plan on attending, and a former player is offering solidarity. The
reports that manager Alex...
Apr 7, 2019 2:38 PM CDT
This Sports Injury Ranks Among the Weirdest
Brock Holt was wounded by his 2-year-old son
- The Red Sox can thank a two-year-old boy for putting their second baseman out of commission. Brock Holt says his son Griffin mistakenly poked him in the right eye and scratched his cornea before the Sox played the Seattle Mariners on March 28—opening day, the
Longtime Red Sox Reporter
Dies at Spring Training
Feb 22, 2019 12:21 AM CST
Longtime Red Sox Reporter Dies at Spring Training
Nick Cafardo apparently suffered an embolism
baseball writer Nick Cafardo, who covered the Red Sox and the rest of the sport for more than three decades, died Thursday after collapsing outside the team's spring training clubhouse, the AP reports. He was 62. The newspaper said Cafardo appeared to have suffered an embolism. The...
Sox Mark World Series
Win With a Yankees Diss
Oct 29, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Sox Mark World Series Win With a Yankees Diss
Boston Red Sox blasted Frank Sinatra's 'New York, New York' in the locker room
- Like a boy who pulls the ponytails of the girl he secretly likes on the playground, the Boston Red Sox gave a shoutout of sorts to the New York Yankees after winning the World Series Sunday night. In the locker room after emerging victorious 5-1 in Game 5 against the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.