Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will
Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
Unexploded grenade successfully removed from soldier's chest, military says
- Imagine living with an unexploded grenade, at risk of going off at any moment, lodged just below your heart. That was the reality for a Ukrainian soldier until recently. Doctors succeeded in removing the explosive from the chest of the man in his late 20s during surgery overseen by soldiers,...
Plastic Surgeon Charged
After Young Patient's Death
Feb 18, 2022 11:59 AM CST
Plastic Surgeon Charged After Young Patient's Death
Emmalyn Nguyen suffered cardiac arrest during surgery, died 14 months later
A plastic surgeon has been arrested in Colorado after an 18-year-old patient died following breast augmentation surgery. Emmalyn Nguyen died 14 months after the August 2019 surgery left her in a vegetative state. After a "lengthy criminal investigation," the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said it issued...
Surgeon Fined for
Amputating Wrong Leg
Dec 2, 2021 4:58 AM CST
Surgeon Fined for Amputating Wrong Leg
Austrian surgeon blamed a problem with the chain of command
- A surgeon in Austria who removed the wrong leg from an elderly patient earlier this year in what the hospital called a "tragic mistake" has been fined the equivalent of around $3,000, with half of it suspended. A court found the 43-year-old surgeon guilty of gross negligence, the...
Oct 28, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Doctor Sleeps Through Surgery
Boston surgeon ate in his car, then nodded off
- A wait for a doctor can be long, but it was especially painful for a patient needing emergency ankle surgery at Boston Medical Center. The patient had been taken into an operating room by two doctors, one of whom then said he had to eat first. He left, went to...
Man Gets Prison Time After
Botched Castration in Cabin
Sep 21, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Man Gets Prison Time After Botched Castration in Cabin
Victim claims unlicensed surgeon Bob Lee Allen said he would eat his body parts
- A man in Oklahoma arrested last year on charges of performing an illegal surgery has been sentenced to two years in jail and 10 years in prison. Bob Lee Allen, 54, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit unlicensed surgery, practicing medicine without a license, and attempted distribution of a psychedelic...
Hit by Ball in the Face,
Pitcher to Need Surgery
Aug 18, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Hit by Ball in the Face, Pitcher to Need Surgery
Chris Bassitt fell to the ground but remained conscious
- Oakland A's pitcher Chris Bassitt will need surgery to repair a cheek fracture after being struck in the face by a line drive Tuesday night. In the second inning in Chicago, Brian Goodwin of the White Sox hit a pitch from Bassitt right back up the middle, measured at...
Speaks at Hospital
Jul 11, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Recovering Pope Speaks at Hospital
In appearance during recovery from surgery, Francis stresses need for free health care
- Pope Francis led prayers before a Rome crowd Sunday as he does every week, albeit from a different balcony this time. "I am happy to be able to keep the Sunday appointment of the Angelus, even here from the Gemelli Polyclinic," the pope said from a balcony on...
Update Is In
Jul 5, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Update Is In After Pope's Surgery
Vatican says the pontiff is 'alert,' in 'good' condition after procedure for narrowed intestine
- It's not unusual for people to be slightly nervous when an 84-year-old goes in for surgery—even less so when it's the pontiff. But it looks like all has gone according to plan for Pope Francis, who underwent a procedure Sunday to remedy a narrowing of his large...
Goes In for
Jul 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Pope Francis Goes In for Surgery
Intestinal procedure had been planned, Vatican says
- Pope Francis went Sunday to a Rome hospital for scheduled surgery for a stenosis, or restriction, of the large intestine, the Vatican said. The brief announcement from the Holy See's press office didn’t say exactly when the surgery would be performed but said there would be an announcement...
Doctors: We Pulled Off the
'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Doctors: We Pulled Off the 'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
NYC medical team says it has performed first complete surgical transplant of a trachea
- In 2014, Sonia Sein was hospitalized after a bad asthma attack. The resulting intubation damaged her windpipe, and multiple surgeries didn't help, so doctors finally cut a hole in her throat and inserted a tracheostomy tube. In the six years after, Sein still labored to breathe, forcing her to...
Tiger Woods Is
Out of Surgery
Feb 24, 2021 7:04 AM CST
Tiger Woods Is Out of Surgery
Golfer suffered multiple fractures in right leg and ankle, is 'awake, responsive'
- Tiger Woods is out of surgery following Tuesday's serious car accident in which he sustained multiple leg injuries. The golf legend is "awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room," according to a statement posted to his Twitter account. It describes "a long surgical procedure on...
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust
Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
Feb 18, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
2 Florida men arrested after illegal surgery performed by non-vet on pregnant French bulldog
- A French bulldog and two of her puppies are dead, and two Florida men have been arrested after a botched surgery that went viral on TikTok. An affidavit cited by the
alleges that Larry Colon, 50, forked over $650 to 33-year-old Frankie Huertas-Rivera to perform a C-section on...
Contestant to Surgery
Nov 3, 2020 7:21 AM CST
Loses a Contestant to Surgery
Jeannie Mai told her throat 'would have closed up'
- Jeannie Mai will have to dance another day.
host withdrew from season 29 of
Dancing With the Stars
on Monday following emergency surgery to correct a potentially life-threatening condition. Mai was diagnosed with epiglottitis, the swelling of the cartilage that covers the windpipe, which can block air flow...
Children's Hospital Sorry for
'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
Jul 30, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
Children's Hospital Sorry for 'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
It says cosmetic procedures should wait until a person is able to consent
- A children's hospital in Chicago has apologized for its "harmful and wrong" approach to genital surgery on infants born "intersex," with genitals that don't correspond to the usual definitions of male or female. The Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, which was responding...
As Docs Operated on Her
Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Jun 10, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
As Docs Operated on Her Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Woman prepares classic Italian snack in under an hour while surgeons removed brain tumor
- Playing instruments while your brain is getting operated on is so last decade . Ask "Donna," who recently whipped up a traditional Italian snack while surgeons were removing a tumor from her left temporal lobe. The BBC and ABC News report that the 2.5-hour procedure took place recently...
Can't Pay for Surgery? This
Doctor Has a Creative Solution
Jan 24, 2020 9:49 AM CST
Can't Pay for Surgery? This Doctor Has a Creative Solution
Demetrio Aguila lets eligible patients put in volunteer hours for operations
- "Who are my heroes? Who are the people I look at and say, 'That's who I want to be'?" For Demetrio Aguila, a Nebraska surgeon specializing in nerve pain, the answer to his own question is his father, also a physician—and one who loved helping...
High School Football Player
Dies Weeks After Knee Surgery
Dec 3, 2019 5:40 AM CST
High School Football Player Dies Weeks After Knee Surgery
Coach says blood clot led to heart attack
- "It's somewhat mind-boggling that it could happen," South Lyon East High School head football coach Joe Pesci says of the death of Trevon Tyler. The 16-year-old junior offensive lineman died unexpectedly on Friday following complications from knee surgery, WXYZ reports. Pesci says the 300-pound, 6-foot-4 player suffered...
Surgery Silences Miley Cyrus
Nov 11, 2019 7:25 AM CST
Surgery Silences Miley Cyrus
Sources say she won't be singing for weeks
- You won't be hearing much from Miley Cyrus over the next few weeks—unless she decides to ignore doctors' orders. Sources tell
that a longstanding but previously undetected problem with the singer's vocal cords was found when she was hospitalized for tonsillitis last month. She had vocal...
Pat Sajak Had an Emergency.
A Familiar Face Has Stepped In
Nov 9, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Pat Sajak Had an Emergency. A Familiar Face Has Stepped In
Vanna White will act as 'Wheel of Fortune' host while Sajak recovers from emergency surgery
- Thursday's taping of
Wheel of Fortune
was abruptly canceled after its host was rushed into emergency surgery.
reports 73-year-old Pat Sajak had to have a procedure for a blocked intestine, forcing Thursday's "Disney Week" taping in Los Angeles to be nixed. By Friday, a familiar face...
Oct 14, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Suit: Waiter Poured Liquid Nitrogen in Woman's Drink
Stacey Wagers says after friend admired 'cool smoke' from nearby table, her water got tainted
- A Florida woman who celebrated her birthday at an upscale hotel restaurant is now suing after she says a waiter poured liquid nitrogen into her drink, severely and permanently injuring her. WFTS has posted the lawsuit , which alleges that during the Nov. 11, 2018, celebratory dinner Stacey Wagers was enjoying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.