Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then
Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Sep 14, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Juvenile in Huntington Beach, California, charged with homicide after 70-year-old cyclist died
- A juvenile driver in Huntington Beach, California, is accused of running down three cyclists within 45 minutes on Sunday, killing one. The cyclists were struck in separate incidents less than a mile apart, KTLA reports. The first incident occurred around 10pm when a cyclist was struck in a crosswalk by...
The Crash Into 20 Cyclists
Appears to Have Been Accident
Feb 28, 2023 12:00 AM CST
The Crash Into 20 Cyclists Appears to Have Been Accident
Driver allegedly told police his steering locked
- The crash of a truck into a group of 20 bicyclists on a bridge that killed two and injured nearly all the rest of a Phoenix area cycling group appears to have been an accident, police said Monday. The driver told officers his steering locked, the AP reports. Goodyear Police...
Driver Held After Truck
Hits Group of Bicyclists
Feb 26, 2023 1:40 PM CST
Driver Held After Truck Hits Group of Bicyclists
Arizona crash killed 2 riders and left 11 hospitalized with injuries
- The driver of a pickup truck that police say crashed into a group of bicyclists, killing two people and sending 11 to hospitals, has been arrested and is being held in a Maricopa County jail. Pedro Quintana-Lujan, 26, was booked on two counts of manslaughter, three counts of aggravated assault,...
Attacks on Riders
Feb 14, 2023 10:30 AM CST
California Group Slams 'Targeted' Attacks on Riders
Series of 'dooring' incidents, other attacks by drivers have sent at least 2 to hospital in East Bay
- What should've been an enjoyable end to the workweek with leisurely bike rides around California's East Bay turned into terror for one cycling group, after multiple cars appeared to intentionally go after the riders. East Bay Bike Party, a local group that describes itself as "a mobile...
Two Stats Illustrate a Problem
With Bike Helmets
Jan 20, 2023 8:51 AM CST
Two Stats Illustrate a Problem With Bike Helmets
US riders use them more than others, but also suffer more traffic fatalities
- Marion Renault thinks bicyclists should wear helmets, and she always wears one herself. But in a story at Slate , she writes that "helmets are simply not the road-safety panacea we want them to be." The point is brought home with a combination of two stats: American riders tend...
Bike Culture May Have
Jan 10, 2023 12:14 PM CST
Bike Culture May Have a Problem—Alcohol
In 'Bicycling,' Gloria Liu suggests the cycling world drinks too much
- A few years ago, Gloria Liu wrote a story in
magazine about how great the "post-ride beer" is in the parking lot, especially with a group of riding friends. Now comes a story in the same magazine with a different bent and a headline asking, "Does Cycling...
He Mountain Biked an
Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
Nov 26, 2022 6:20 AM CST
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
Inside Braydon Bringhurst's wild feat on the Whole Enchilada
- "Oh my gosh, dude. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done." That's how Braydon Bringhurst put it to his camera man after completing a challenge that's all but unfathomable to almost every human on the planet: biking
the Whole Enchilada. As...
Police Reject Account
of Gruesome Bicycle Accident
Sep 11, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
Police Reject Account of Gruesome Bicycle Accident
New Mexico man lost a foot, but how remains a mystery
- A story at
sums it up as "mysterious but horrific," and it's hard to disagree. What's not in dispute is that 28-year-old Dillen Mauer—a former pro bicyclist who is now a renowned frame builder in New Mexico—lost a foot over Labor Day...
Tour de France Racer Hits
Fans, Suffers Broken Neck
Jul 8, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
Tour de France Racer Hits Fans, Suffers Broken Neck
Incredibly, Italy's Daniel Oss got up and finished that leg, but he later pulled out of race
- An elite racer from Italy has been forced to withdraw from the Tour de France, due to a broken neck suffered after he collided with spectators on a particularly tricky part of the course. Daniel Oss of Team TotalEnergies was cruising along Wednesday during Stage 5 of the race, on...
Suspect in Star Cyclist's
Murder Is Caught
Jun 30, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Kaitlin Armstrong is arrested in Costa Rica
- A woman accused of killing a star cyclist is in custody after six weeks as a fugitive. US Marshals say Kaitlin Armstrong, 34, was tracked to a hostel in Costa Rica and taken into custody, reports KVUE . She is now awaiting deportation to the US. Investigators say Armstrong fatally shot...
Biden OK After
Fall Off Bike
Jun 18, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Biden OK After Fall Off Bike
President took a tumble while riding Saturday in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- President Biden fell when he tried to get off his bike at the end of a ride Saturday at Cape Henlopen State Park near his beach home in Delaware, but he said he wasn't hurt. "I'm good," he told reporters after US Secret Service Agents quickly...
Woman Accused of Killing
Star Cyclist Is at Large
May 23, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Woman Accused of Killing Star Cyclist Is at Large
Police say Anna Moriah Wilson was killed by Kaitlin Armstrong as part of a love triangle
- The murder of one of the best cyclists in the nation, if not the world, shocked the riding community earlier this month in Texas. Now, authorities say a love triangle is at the heart of the killing of 25-year-old Anna Moriah Wilson. Coverage:
Police and federal agents accuse Kaitlin
Mar 18, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
After Woman's Death, Bridge Operator Is Charged
Pedestrian was killed when Florida span was raised
A Florida bridgetender who raised a drawbridge before a 79-year-old woman walking her bicycle reached the other side has been has charged with manslaughter in her death, police said. West Palm Beach police arrested Artissua Lafay Paulk, 43, at her home on Thursday, per the AP and
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.'
That Was Before the Bull
Feb 16, 2022 12:56 PM CST
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.' That Was Before the Bull
3 cyclists attacked on course Saturday in California
- "The world famous Bianchi Rock Cobbler is a stupidly hard ride bordering on a race ... conceived by drunken madmen," explains the website for the ride . But while those "drunken madmen" designed a roughly 80-mile California off-road course with as much as 6,500 feet of elevation gain,...
Woman Behind Spectacular
Tour de France Crash to Pay
Dec 10, 2021 8:40 AM CST
Woman Behind Spectacular Tour de France Crash to Pay
The 31-year-old was issued a fine
The French woman who caused one of the worst crashes in Tour de France history by stepping into the road to hold up a sign will have to pay for that choice. The 31-year-old was ordered to pay a roughly $1,350 fine, as well as what the BBC...
Experienced Cyclist Falls
in Worst Possible Place
Jul 20, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Experienced Cyclist Falls in Worst Possible Place
Man goes into water in Florida, is attacked by alligator
- An experienced bicyclist's fall in Florida on Monday could have killed him, but not the for reason you might think. TCPalm reports the cyclist lost control while navigating a wooden bridge and tumbled into a small body of water some 6 feet down an embankment, where he was then...
Tour de France
Jun 27, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Fan Causes Pileup During Tour de France
Search begins for the spectator, who seems to have fled
- A fan who reached into the roadway to try to get a sign picked up by TV cameras caused a major pileup at the Tour de France, leaving a tangle of bikes and riders. Tony Martin of Germany had nowhere to go but into the sign, CNN reports. Other riders...
Police Shoot Driver After
Pickup Strikes Bicyclists
Jun 19, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Police Shoot Driver After Pickup Strikes Bicyclists
At least 6 are critically wounded in Arizona race, as is the truck's driver
- A pickup truck was driven into a benefit bicycle race Saturday in Arizona, leaving at least six people critically injured. Police chased down and shot the driver, a 35-year-old white man, who also was hospitalized in critical condition, CNN reports. The event was the 13th annual Bike the Bluff race,...
'It's Just the Worst
Thing I Could Ever See'
Dec 11, 2020 6:36 AM CST
'It's Just the Worst Thing I Could Ever See'
5 dead, 4 injured after truck hits Nevada cyclists
- Almost 20 cyclists were traveling through Nevada's open desert on Thursday when they were involved in the deadliest vehicle-cyclist crash in the state in at least 16 years. Around 9:40am a box truck plowed into the group along Highway 95 north of Searchlight, where the speed limit is...
Bad News for
Aug 16, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
COVID-19 Is Bad News for Naked Bikers
This year's Philly Naked Bike Ride is no more
- The coronavirus pandemic has slammed the brakes on this year's Philly Naked Bike Ride. The annual event, which usually draws thousands of nude cyclists for a trip around Philadelphia and its tourist sites, had been set for later this month. But organizers who had been gearing up for it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.