Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bad News for Menendez: Cory Booker Says He Must Go
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Asks Congress for Help:
'They Keep Coming After Me'
Jul 26, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Trump Asks Congress for Help: 'They Keep Coming After Me'
With Jan. 6 indictment looming, former president demands yet another investigation
- Former President Trump is asking Congress to intervene as he faces an indictment over alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. "Congress, if you will, please investigate the political witch hunts against me currently being brought by the corrupt DOJ and FBI, who are totally out of control,...
She Could Be
US' First Trans
Jun 26, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
She Could Be US' First Trans Congresswoman
Sarah McBride, a Delaware state senator, is launching campaign for seat as a US rep
- Sarah McBride won her race for Delaware state senator in 2020 with 70% of the vote, becoming the nation's first transgender state senator. In her reelection race, no one bothered to oppose her. The 32-year-old is hoping to translate that popularity into yet another first for a trans lawmaker:...
To Congress, Modi Stakes
Claim to Democracy
Jun 22, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
To Congress, Modi Stakes Claim to Democracy
Lawmakers welcome India's prime minister, who doesn't mention criticism
- Facing criticism on his US visit over India's record on human rights, press freedom, and crackdowns on dissent, Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured Congress in an address Thursday that his nation considers itself "the mother of democracy." Modi received a warm welcome in the House chamber when...
Did Biden 'Outfox' McCarthy?
Vote Count May Tell the Tale
May 31, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
Did Biden 'Outfox' McCarthy? Vote Count May Tell the Tale
If House speaker needs lots of Democrats to raise debt ceiling, it doesn't bode well for him
- The House votes Wednesday night on a deal to avoid a potentially calamitous default , and both Republicans and Democrats say the measure will pass. But a new DC drama has emerged about what the final vote tally will be—and the ramifications for House Speaker Kevin McCarthy in particular. Coverage:...
US Account for Aid
to Ukraine Running Out
May 20, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
US Account for Aid to Ukraine Running Out
Administration appears in no hurry to seek more money, but backers don't want interruptions
- The $48 billion kitty that Congress approved in December for aid to Ukraine is running low, and supporters on Capitol Hill are unclear what the Biden administration plans to do about it. Their concerns include when the president will ask for another round of funding and whether it will be...
The Picture Being Painted
by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
May 17, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
The Picture Being Painted by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
Words 'confident' and 'optimistic' are getting used, but there's a ways to go
- As the clock ticks down to June 1, the president and congressional leaders continue to sound off about the likelihood of striking a deal on raising the debt ceiling. President Biden held a second Oval Office meeting with House and Senate leaders Kevin McCarthy, Hakeem Jeffries, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch...
Suspect in Attack at
Congressman's Office IDed
May 16, 2023 12:34 AM CDT
Suspect in Attack at Congressman's Office IDed
Rep. Gerry Connolly says man wielding bat asked for him before attacking aides
- The man accused of attacking two congressional aides at Democratic Rep. Gerry Connolly's Virginia district office has been identified as Xuan Kha Tran Pham, 49. The Fairfax resident was arrested at the scene within five minutes of police receiving the call, per the Fairfax police department . He faces one...
In North Carolina, GOP
Scores Big Court Wins
Apr 28, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
In North Carolina, GOP Scores Big Court Wins
Rulings may give Republicans an edge in next congressional elections
- In massive victories for Republicans, the North Carolina Supreme Court on Friday threw out a previous ruling against gerrymandered voting maps and upheld a photo voter identification law that colleagues had struck down as racially biased. The rulings likely give the GOP-controlled legislature the ability to rework the state's...
South Korean Message
Apr 27, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Congress Cheers South Korean Message
Yoon Suk Yeol addresses alliance, 'American heroes' of the Korean War
- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol urged ever more strengthening of the US-led security alliance against nuclear-armed North Korea on Thursday, drawing cheers from Congress as he saluted the "great American heroes" who helped preserve his country's democracy in the Korean War. Democratic and Republican lawmakers rose to...
on Transgender Athletes
Apr 20, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
House GOP Passes Restrictions on Transgender Athletes
Democrats have promised to keep it from becoming law
- Legislation to keep transgender student athletes off women’s sports teams cleared the House on Thursday, pushed through by Republicans on a 219-203 vote. It would bar transgender women and girls from competing on female athletic teams at schools receiving federal funding, Politico reports, though they could train or practice...
Congress, Like the US, Is Older
Apr 3, 2023 4:18 PM CDT
Congress, Like the US, Is Older
Median age in Senate hits 65, a new high
- Here's one way Congress reflects the nation it serves: It's getting older. The median age for senators this Congress is a record high, 65, while House members are holding at 58. And the pace is quickening, FiveThirtyEight reports. For the last 80 years of the 20th century, the...
Star of '90s Teen Sitcom
Is Running for Congress
Mar 7, 2023 6:16 PM CST
Star of '90s Teen Sitcom Is Running for Congress
'Boy Meets World' star Ben Savage joins race for Rep. Adam Schiff's seat
Boy Meets World
star Ben Savage wants the next chapter of his life to be Man Meets Congress. The 42-year-old is running as a Democrat for a House seat in a Los Angeles-area district, reports Reuters . The heavily Democratic District 30 includes Hollywood. "I am a proud Californian, union...
Effort to End 'Stupid'
Mar 3, 2023 8:46 AM CST
Effort to End 'Stupid' Clock Changes Is Revived
Senators reintroduce legislation to make daylight saving time permanent
- "Changing time twice a year is stupid," Sen. Marco Rubio said Thursday in joining 11 other senators to reintroduce legislation to make daylight saving time permanent. The Sunshine Protection Act unanimously passed the Senate last March but stalled in the House as lawmakers determined it was not a...
Trump Advice May Put
Republicans in 'Political Corner'
Jan 20, 2023 2:16 PM CST
Trump Advice May Put Republicans in 'Political Corner'
Former president warns GOP not to go after Social Security, Medicare in debt ceiling fight
- The potentially calamitous fight over the debt ceiling has begun, and former President Trump weighed in emphatically on Friday with advice to his fellow Republicans. “Under no circumstances should Republicans vote to cut a single penny from Medicare or Social Security,” Trump said in a video posted to...
'What Happens in the Ladies
Room Stays in the Ladies Room'
Jan 17, 2023 9:50 AM CST
'What Happens in the Ladies Room Stays in the Ladies Room'
Alleged spat between MTG, Boebert may be a reflection of MTG's new strategy
- The buzzy story out of DC on Tuesday revolves around Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert. The Daily Beast reports that the GOP congresswomen got into a heated confrontation on the first day of the new Congress in a House bathroom. “Greene questioned Boebert's loyalty to [Kevin] McCarthy,...
Big Political Fight Everyone
Predicted Is Getting Underway
Jan 13, 2023 1:21 PM CST
Big Political Fight Everyone Predicted Is Getting Underway
Treasury's Yellen says the US is about to hit debt limit, prelude to showdown in Congress
- In other years, it might be a humdrum political matter: Treasury chief Janet Yellen told Congress on Friday the nation will hit its debt limit on Thursday, reports Politico . This year, however, the warning is expected to begin what promises to be a protracted and high-stakes fight between the White...
GOPers Cheer Removal
of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM CST
GOPers Cheer Removal of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Republicans remove controversial metal detectors outside of House chamber put in place after Jan. 6
- Little else is getting done as Republicans hash out who's going to be the next speaker of the House, but one order of business important to the GOP did take place Tuesday: The metal detectors outside of the chamber, installed at the order of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi after the...
McCarthy Fails to Win
Speakership on First Ballot
Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM CST
McCarthy Fails to Win Speakership on First Ballot
House must keep voting until a speaker is selected
- So who will be the next House speaker? After one round of voting in the chamber, the answer remains unclear. Frontrunner Kevin McCarthy, who served as House Minority Leader when Democrats were in charge, failed to get the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot, reports the
It's Killing Me
That a 'Con Man'
Gets My Seat
Jan 3, 2023 7:40 AM CST
Lawmaker: It's Killing Me That a 'Con Man' Gets My Seat
Tom Suozzi wonders how George Santos will be able to function in Congress
- Lots of people are unhappy that George Santos, who has been caught lying about nearly every aspect of his background, is being sworn into Congress on Tuesday. That includes fellow Republicans, notes Politico . But one person in particular has more reason than most to vent—Democrat Tom Suozzi, the New...
She's Set to Be
Woman in Congress
Jan 2, 2023 9:35 AM CST
She's Set to Be Longest-Serving Woman in Congress
Ohio Democrat Marcy Kaptur was first elected in 1982
- When the new Congress convenes on Tuesday, Ohio Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur will become the longest-serving woman in its history. Yet after 40 years, she sometimes feels like an outsider, reports the AP . Not because she's a woman or now in the minority party in the House. It's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.