Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Climate Change Report
Has Hopeful Tone
Sep 27, 2023 3:24 PM CDT
New Climate Change Report Has Hopeful Tone
International Energy Agency acknowledges 'spectacular increase' in clean energy tech
- The remarkable growth of clean energy technologies, including electric vehicles, is offering a glimmer of hope as the world faces the effects of a warming planet. In a new report , the Paris-based International Energy Agency finds the path to limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius and reaching net-zero...
With Less Snow, Ski Resorts
Seek Wholly Different Clientele
Sep 24, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
With Less Snow, Ski Resorts Seek Wholly Different Clientele
Some ski resorts are shifting their business models to include biking
- As ski resorts across Europe grapple with warmer winters, some have seen a future in ditching skis for mountain bikes.
reports that Italian resort Fai della Paganella originally outfitted a chairlift to accommodate bikes in 2011 as an experiment, but the attraction quickly eclipsed its skiing business. "Sixty-five...
Biden Invokes Executive Power,
Goes Ahead With Climate Corps
Sep 20, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Biden Invokes Executive Power, Goes Ahead With Climate Corps
Shot down by Congress, New Deal-style corps will serve as major green-jobs training program
- After being thwarted by Congress, President Biden will use his executive authority to create a New Deal-style climate initiative that will serve as a major green-jobs training program. In an announcement Wednesday, the White House said the program will employ about 20,000 young adults who will build trails, plant...
New York Protests Pressure
Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Sep 17, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
New York Protests Pressure Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Climate summit this week will not hear from the US
- Frustration over inaction on the harm to the planet being done by fossil fuels brought tens of thousands of protesters to the streets of Manhattan on Sunday. The demonstration was held in anticipation of UN meetings this week on addressing global warming, but the message was aimed most directly at...
'If You Guys Don't Get Your Act
Together, We're Going to Cook'
Sep 8, 2023 2:33 PM CDT
'If You Guys Don't Get Your Act Together, We're Going to Cook'
UN climate report card emphasizes the need for fast and transformative changes
- With the world far off track on its 2015 pledge to curb global warming, a new United Nations report central to upcoming climate negotiations details how quickly and deeply energy and financial systems must change to get back on a safer path. "The window of opportunity to secure a...
Feel Like It Was Hotter Than
Ever This Summer? It Was
Sep 6, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Feel Like It Was Hotter Than Ever This Summer? It Was
July and August were the 2 hottest months globally on record
- Just how hot was it this summer?
hottest, according to the World Meteorological Organization. July 2023 was the hottest month ever measured globally, while August 2023 is the second hottest month, according to data shared Wednesday by the WMO and European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service, which has...
the Record, and
It Wasn't Close
Aug 14, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
July Shattered the Record, and It Wasn't Close
By mid-century, this kind of weather will seem like a cool spell, scientist says
- Scientists showed the numbers on Monday, confirming that last month was the planet's hottest July ever recorded. That data led to a related conclusion, NBC News reports. "Last month was way, way warmer than anything we've ever seen," said Sarah Kapnick, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric...
In California, 13-Foot
Waves Are a 'Harbinger'
Aug 4, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
In California, 13-Foot Waves Are a 'Harbinger'
Study says giant swells have become more common, with signs pointing to climate change
- Waves are getting bigger, and surf at least 13 feet tall is becoming more common off California's coast as the planet warms, according to innovative new research that tracked the increasing height from historical data gathered over the past 90 years. Oceanographer Peter Bromirski at the Scripps Institution of...
Get Ready, East Coast: You're
Next in Extreme Heat's Sights
Jul 28, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Get Ready, East Coast: You're Next in Extreme Heat's Sights
Super-high temps are working their way from Midwest to Northeast, mid-Atlantic states
- Nearly 200 million people in the United States, or 60% of the US population, are under a heat advisory or flood warning or watch and have been since Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. Dangerous heat is forecast to "engulf" much of the eastern half of the United...
At Tip of Florida,
Sea Water Hits
'Hot Tub' Temps
Jul 26, 2023 12:40 AM CDT
At Tip of Florida, Sea Water Hits 'Hot Tub' Temps
Temperature reading exceeds 100 degrees two days in a row, though there are some issues
- The water temperature on the tip of Florida hit hot tub levels, exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit two days in a row. And meteorologists say that could potentially be the hottest seawater ever measured, although there are some issues with the reading, the AP reports. Weather records for sea water temperature...
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable'
That I Ignored Cops
Jul 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg: 'Justifiable' That I Ignored Cops
20-year-old climate activist fined $240 for refusing to leave protest site in Sweden last month
- Last month, an unsurprising attendee showed up at a fossil fuels protest in Sweden and was detained: Greta Thunberg, who's been demonstrating in the name of climate change awareness since at least 2018. Local media reports that the 20-year-old activist was among those who stopped traffic on June 19...
The Ocean Is
Jul 24, 2023 12:02 PM CDT
The Ocean Is Changing Color
Scientists detect shift in most of world's oceans, and they point the finger at a warming climate
- The ocean's color isn't what it used to be. In a study in
, scientists say they've detected a color shift in 56% of the world's oceans over the last 20 years, reports Space.com . And while seawater can be a variable thing, the pace of...
Marine Heat Wave Puts
Florida in 'Uncharted Territory'
Jul 12, 2023 3:54 PM CDT
Marine Heat Wave Puts Florida in 'Uncharted Territory'
Temperatures are breaking records at sea as well as on land
- Florida is dealing with record-breaking temperatures not just on land but in the surrounding waters, where a marine heat wave is posing a major threat to corals and other marine life. Water temperatures around Florida are in the mid-90s Fahrenheit, around 5 degrees higher than normal, and the heat wave...
It Was 100 Degrees Near
the Arctic Circle on Saturday
Jul 11, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
It Was 100 Degrees Near the Arctic Circle on Saturday
In Northwest Territories, 'the hottest temperature recorded that far north in Canada'
- Last week saw four straight days of record high temperatures . Over the weekend, yet more heat records were being set in Canada's Northwest Territories, which are experiencing what the BBC calls an "unprecedented" heat wave. Saturday's temperature of 37.4 degrees Celsius (99.3 Fahrenheit) in Fort...
Record for Hottest Day
Only Lasted 24 Hours
Jul 5, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Record for Hottest Day Only Lasted 24 Hours
July 4 was even warmer than July 3
- Monday was the hottest day ever recorded, scientists said earlier this week—but the record only lasted a day. According to the US National Centers for Environmental Prediction, the average global air temperature was 17.18 degrees Celsius (62.9 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday, breaking Monday's record of 1 7....
Sorry, Sriracha Fans,
It's Happening Again
Jul 2, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
Sorry, Sriracha Fans, It's Happening Again
Bottles of popular Huy Fong hot sauce are selling for triple digits online amid chile pepper shortage
- A hot summer lies ahead , though that heat won't be carrying over to meals usually doused in Sriracha sauce. A shortage of the chile-pepper-based condiment means it's been harder to find on store shelves, though fans can likely stumble upon the hot sauce made by Huy Fong, its...
After Death Threat
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
TV Meteorologist Stepping Down After Death Threat
Chris Gloninger of Iowa's KCCI says messages last year left him with PTSD
- Meteorologists around the world are facing increasingly aggressive pushback due to their coverage on climate change, with some cases turning outright abusive . Now, the chief weather forecaster at Iowa's KCCI is stepping down from his post for just such a reason. Chris Gloninger, a Regional Emmy winner for his...
Plans to Move Everest
Base Camp Dropped
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Plans to Move Everest Base Camp Dropped
Sherpas not supportive of last year's proposal
- Looks like Everest base camp is staying where it is. Nearly a year after Nepal's tourism ministry announced plans to move it lower down the mountain due to warming temperatures causing the glacier it currently sits on to melt, the plan has been put aside, the BBC reports. Sherpas...
ExxonMobil Set to Square
Off Against Activist Investors
May 31, 2023 7:34 AM CDT
ExxonMobil Set to Square Off Against Activist Investors
Shareholder meeting at Chevron also promises to be contentious over emissions reduction plans
- The fly on the wall at Wednesday's ExxonMobil shareholder meeting is likely to get quite an earful, notably on the topic of climate change. Quartz reports that the oil giant is expecting a battle with some of its more activist-leaning investors, including on multiple proposals regarding carbon emissions that...
Earth Has Good Chance of Soon
Hitting a 'Global Guardrail': UN
May 18, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
Earth Has Good Chance of Soon Hitting a 'Global Guardrail': UN
66% chance world to reach key limit of 1.5 degrees Celsius in 5 years, though likely temporarily
- There's a two-out-of-three chance that the world will temporarily hit a key warming limit within the next five years, the United Nations weather agency said Wednesday. But it likely would only be a fleeting and less worrisome flirtation with the internationally agreed upon temperature threshold. Scientists expect a temporary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.