Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Medvedev Ends Djokovic's
Bid for Grand Slam Sweep
Sep 13, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Medvedev Ends Djokovic's Bid for Grand Slam Sweep
Daniil Medvedev beats Novak Djokovic at US Open
- A game from the end of his bid for what would have been the first calendar-year Grand Slam in men’s tennis since 1969, Novak Djokovic covered his face with a towel, hiding his tears during a changeover. For 27 Grand Slam matches in 2021, on hard courts, clay courts,...
Federer, Nadal Atop
Grand Slam List
Jul 11, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Djokovic Joins Federer, Nadal Atop Grand Slam List
34-year-old bounces back for 4-set Wimbledon victory
- Novak Djokovic tied Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal by claiming his 20th Grand Slam title Sunday, coming back to beat Matteo Berrettini 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon final. The No. 1-ranked Djokovic earned a third consecutive championship at the All England Club and sixth overall, the AP...
Weary Djokovic Takes French
After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Jun 13, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Weary Djokovic Takes French After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Serbian star is a single major title away from tying Nadal and Federer
- Novak Djokovic was not about to concede a thing after dropping the first two sets of the French Open final against his younger, fresher foe, Stefanos Tsitsipas. Djokovic looked diminished and depleted at the outset Sunday. By the end, he was at his imperious best. The top-seeded Djokovic came all...
In 'Bearable Pain,'
Open, 18th Slam
Feb 21, 2021 9:35 AM CST
In 'Bearable Pain,' Djokovic Takes 9th Australian Open, 18th Slam
33-year-old climbs lists with 'most challenging' major victory
- Maybe, the thinking went, Novak Djokovic would be just a tad more susceptible to trouble this time around at the Australian Open. After all, he tore an abdominal muscle in the third round. Entering Sunday, the AP reports, Djokovic had ceded five sets in the tournament, the most he ever...
Booted Djokovic Sorry for
Hitting Line Judge With Ball
Sep 7, 2020 5:11 AM CDT
Booted Djokovic Sorry for Hitting Line Judge With Ball
'So unintended. So wrong,' tennis star says
- Novak Djokovic apologized Sunday after he was kicked out of the US Open for accidentally hitting a line judge in the throat with a tennis ball after dropping a game in his fourth-round match, a stunning end to his 29-match winning streak and bid for an 18th Grand Slam title....
US Open's Top Seed
Booted for Hitting Judge
Sep 6, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
US Open's Top Seed Booted for Hitting Judge
Novak Djokovic can see the rest of it on TV
- Top-seeded Novak Djokovic was defaulted from his fourth-round match at the US Open after he accidentally hit a line judge in the neck with a tennis ball Sunday, the AP reports. It was a stunning end to Djokovic’s bid for an 18th Grand Slam title and his 26-0 start...
Takes Heat for
Jun 23, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Tennis Star Has COVID, Takes Heat for 'Horror Show'
Novak Djokovic and wife Jelena both have virus after controversial tennis exhibition in Balkans
- A tennis exhibition series in the Balkans that got flak for taking place during the pandemic made even more headlines after three players—Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric, and Viktor Troicki—and two staff members contracted COVID-19. Now, a bigger name joins that group. Per the
and CNN , the world'...
Djokovic Picks His Spots,
Feb 2, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Djokovic Picks His Spots, Attacks—and Repeats
New No. 1 wins his 8th Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic looked weary and worn down. He felt dizzy and trailed Dominic Thiem in the Australian Open final—miscues mounting, deficit growing. Djokovic did what he does, though, the AP reports. He refused to lose, waited for a chance to pounce and found his best tennis when absolutely necessary....
World No. 1 Loses
to Bencic at US Open
Sep 3, 2019 12:58 AM CDT
World No. 1 Loses to Bencic at US Open
'I honestly didn't move well today,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka's achy left knee didn't let her serve without pain, so she didn't practice that key part of her game leading into the US Open. The knee also prevented her from covering the court and preparing for shots the way she'd like. Those weren't...
a Legend at Aussie Open
Jan 27, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Djokovic Embarrasses a Legend at Aussie Open
Rafael Nadal loses final to relentless Djokovic, who marches to his 7th tournament title
- Novak Djokovic was so good, so relentless, so pretty much perfect, that Rafael Nadal never stood a chance. Djokovic reduced one of the greats of the game to merely another outclassed opponent—just a guy, really—and one so out of sorts that Nadal even whiffed on one of his...
Vowed to Skip
Jul 15, 2018 11:28 AM CDT
Djokovic Had Vowed to Skip Wimbledon. Good Thing He Didn't
Serbian star comes back after early French Open exit
- Novak Djokovic was disconsolate and injured when he left Wimbledon a year ago, quitting during his quarterfinal because of a painful right elbow that would need surgery, the AP reports. Djokovic was so dispirited by his upset exit at the French Open last month that he vowed, in the heat...
Wawrinka Wins First US Open
Sep 12, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Wawrinka Wins First US Open
He remembers 9/11 victims in victory speech
- Stan Wawrinka wore Novak Djokovic down and beat the defending champion 6-7 (1), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 on Sunday for his first US Open title and third Grand Slam trophy overall. The 31-year-old Wawrinka is the oldest US Open men's champion since Ken Rosewall was 35 in 1970, the AP...
for Grand Slam
Jun 5, 2016 11:23 AM CDT
Djokovic Finally Conquers France for Grand Slam
He now holds all 4 majors, which hasn't happened since 1969
- Novak Djokovic became the first man in nearly a half-century to win four consecutive major championships and finally earned an elusive French Open title to complete a career Grand Slam, beating Andy Murray 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday. This was the top-seeded Djokovic's 12th appearance at Roland Garros,...
Tennis CEO Delivers Sexist Rant About 'Lady Players'
Mar 21, 2016 6:46 AM CDT
Tennis CEO Delivers Sexist Rant About 'Lady Players'
They 'ride the coattails of the men,' says Raymond Moore
- It took Serena Williams 15 years to return to the BNP Paribas Open after she was booed in 2001. She might never return again. While discussing how money is awarded in men's versus women's tennis on Sunday, tournament director Raymond Moore said female players "ride the coattails...
Federer at US Open
Sep 14, 2015 12:45 AM CDT
Djokovic Beats Federer at US Open
Serb comes back from fall to win 10th Grand Slam
- Novak Djokovic defeated Roger Federer in four sets in the US Open final for his 10th Grand Slam title. The top-ranked Serb beat Federer 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 to win three major championships in a year for the second time in his career. The second-seeded Federer is still stuck on...
Jul 13, 2015 11:49 AM CDT
Serena, Novak Get Wimbledon's Groove Back
Tennis stars bust a move to 'Night Fever' at champions' dinner
- After winning titles again on Wimbledon's grass, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams showed they can cut a rug, too. Reviving a bygone tradition, Djokovic and Williams busted a move at the Grand Slam tournament's annual champions' dinner yesterday, dancing together to "Night Fever," the Bee Gees'...
to Win His 3rd
Jul 12, 2015 11:39 AM CDT
Djokovic Downs Federer, Rain to Win His 3rd Wimbledon
Defending champ outlasts Swiss player a second year in a row
- Novak Djokovic has won the Wimbledon title for the second straight year, and again against seven-time champion Roger Federer. The top-seeded Serb beat Federer 7-6 (1), 6-7 (10), 6-4, 6-3 today on Centre Court to win his third title overall at the All England Club. Federer had been trying, again,...
No. 1 Djokovic,
Wins French Open
Jun 7, 2015 11:26 AM CDT
Wawrinka Dumps No. 1 Djokovic, Wins French Open
It's Switzerland native's second Grand Slam
- Against the odds, Stanislas Wawrinka has won the French Open, beating top-ranked Novak Djokovic 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4. Wawrinka sealed the win on his second match point with a backhand winner down the line to clinch his second Grand Slam title and deprive Djokovic of his ninth. The players hugged...
5th Aussie Open
Feb 1, 2015 6:45 AM CST
Djokovic Wins 5th Aussie Open
Andy Murray again falls as cops bust a 'court invader'
- Novak Djokovic won his fifth Australian Open title and extended Andy Murray's misery at Melbourne Park by beating the Scotsman 7-6 (5), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-0 in the final today. Djokovic broke open a close match with a service break in the eighth game of the third set, winning...
Jul 6, 2014 12:13 PM CDT
Djokovic Edges Federer in Nail-Biter
Final goes to 5 sets as Novak denies Roger's bid for 8th victory
- Novak Djokovic edged Roger Federer in five sets to win the men's Wimbledon final today, reports the
New York Times ,
denying Federer his eighth title even as the Serb claimed his second. Tearfully quipping, "thank you for letting me win today," Djokovic clasped the trophy he claimed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.