Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 25, 2022 12:48 PM CDT
Djokovic's Anti-Vax Stance Means No US Open
Unvaccinated star can't travel to US and thus cannot compete in the major
- Tennis star Novak Djokovic's vaccination-related troubles continue. The 35-year-old Serbian said Thursday that he will not play in the US Open because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and thus not allowed to travel to the United States, per the AP . Djokovic announced his withdrawal from the year’s...
Wimbledon's Russian Ban
Leaves a Tangle
Jul 11, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Wimbledon's Russian Ban Leaves a Tangle
Djokovic falls in rankings despite winning, and 2 nations claim Rybakina
- "Exclusion is fraught with issues," said a former International Olympic Committee executive. That's becoming clearer for Wimbledon. Under pressure from the UK government because of the war in Ukraine, this year's tournament barred players from Russia and Belarus. The WTA and ATP then decided to not...
After Losing to
Djokovic, a 'Final
Act of Defiance'
Jul 11, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
After Losing to Djokovic, a 'Final Act of Defiance' From Kyrgios
Aussie wears red cap to trophy ceremony, breaching strict all-white dress code
- Nick Kyrgios gave the crowd quite a show during the men's singles final Sunday at Wimbledon. The show wasn't over, however, after the 27-year-old Aussie lost to Serbia's Novak Djokovic, as he took part in a "final act of defiance." Kyrgios received a second-place trophy,...
Steady Djokovic Outplays
Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Steady Djokovic Outplays Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Champion wins his seventh straight All England Club title, fourth in a row
- Winning Wimbledon doesn't get old, Novak Djokovic says. And his insight on the issue is nearly unique, after he won his seventh men's title in London on Sunday and his fourth straight, ESPN reports. Pete Sampras also won seven championships; only Roger Federer, with eight, has more. "...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
May 1, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Tennis Stars Disagree With Wimbledon on Barring Russians
Nadal, Djokovic say it's unfair to blame athletes for war in Ukraine
- Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticized Wimbledon's decision to exclude Russian and Belarus players from this year's tournament following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The two tennis greats made the statements Sunday, the AP reports. "I think it's very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates,...
France's Rule Change Is
Good News for Djokovic
Mar 4, 2022 12:20 PM CST
France's Rule Change Is Good News for Djokovic
Unvaxxed tennis star should be able to defend his French Open title in May
- It looks like Novak Djokovic will be to able to play in the French Open after all. The tennis star, who missed out on the Australian Open because he is unvaccinated against COVID-19, has said he would give up more opportunities to match Rafael Nadal's record 21 Grand Slam...
Australia Busts Out Toy Koalas,
Welcomes Back Tourists
Feb 21, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Australia Busts Out Toy Koalas, Welcomes Back Tourists
After a 2-year hiatus, fully vaccinated travelers are now welcome
- International tourists and business travelers began arriving in Australia with few restrictions on Monday, bringing together families in tearful reunions after separations of two years or longer forced by some of the most draconian pandemic measures of any democracy in the world, reports the AP . Australia closed its borders to...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
Researchers Spot Issue With
Djokovic's COVID Certificate
Jan 28, 2022 7:20 AM CST
Researchers Spot Issue With Djokovic's COVID Certificate
Evidence suggests dates might be off
- Novak Djokovic's attempt to get into Australia without meeting vaccine requirements involved a positive COVID test he presented from weeks earlier—but the BBC and German researchers have detected something strange about it. The test certificate from Serbia that the tennis star's lawyer gave to Australian authorities is...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
Serbia Is Not Happy
With Australia Right Now
Jan 17, 2022 6:54 AM CST
Serbia Is Not Happy With Australia Right Now
Leaders call Novak Djokovic's deportation a 'farce'
Tennis star Novak Djokovic arrived back home in Serbia on Monday after Australia gave him the boot for being unvaccinated, reports CNN . Djokovic, who was not allowed to play in the Australian Open, is technically barred from the country for three years, though Australian officials made clear he could...
Djokovic Has Been Deported
Jan 16, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Djokovic Has Been Deported From Australia
Courts affirmed right to boot unvaccinated tennis star
- Instead of starting the defense of his Australian Open title on Monday, Novak Djokovic was on his way home, a stunning and unprecedented end to his run of success at Melbourne Park. Djokovic has won nine of his 20 Grand Slam trophies at the Australian Open—including three in a...
Djokovic's Visa Again
Jan 14, 2022 3:21 AM CST
Australia Revokes Djokovic's Visa Again
Move means tennis star might be deported after all
- Australian officials have made a decision that could put Novak Djokovic out of the Australian Open before it begins. The Serbian star's visa has been canceled for a second time, this time by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke on "public interest" grounds, the BBC reports. The unvaccinated Djokovic was...
Yes, I Tested
Went to Interview
Jan 12, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Djokovic: Yes, I Tested Positive, Then Went to Interview
He admits not isolating was an 'error'
- Novak Djokovic knew he'd tested positive for COVID-19 when he attended a newspaper interview and photo shoot in Serbia last month, saying Wednesday he made an "error of judgment" and should have immediately gone into isolation. In a statement posted to his social media accounts regarding "continuing...
Novak Djokovic Runs
Into Another Problem
Jan 11, 2022 11:21 AM CST
Novak Djokovic Runs Into Another Problem
Tennis star may have submitted false information on travel declaration before entering Australia
The Novak Djokovic saga continues. Australian officials are now investigating whether the tennis star submitted a bogus travel declaration before entering the country. Djokovic declared he hadn't traveled in the 14 days prior to arriving in Australia, but social media posts suggest he was in Spain and Serbia...
New Details Emerge in
Djokovic's Detention Case
Jan 8, 2022 6:00 AM CST
New Details Emerge in Djokovic's Detention Case
Serbian tennis star, facing deportation in Australia, had COVID last month, lawyers say in court filing
- The mystery of whether or not Novak Djokovic has actually received the coronavirus vaccine has now been cleared up, and we now also know more about his experiences with COVID. On Saturday, his lawyers submitted court documents that revealed the 34-year-old Serbian tennis star had had COVID in December and...
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic
Has a Message for Fans
Jan 7, 2022 12:09 PM CST
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic Has a Message for Fans
Serbian tennis star is feeling the love as he tries to clear up visa/vaccine hubbub before Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic still isn't revealing whether he's been vaccinated, but he's now speaking out to family and fans supporting him as he's caught up in a visa commotion Down Under. The Serbian tennis star, who was denied entry to Australia this week ahead of the Australian...
Djokovic Transferred to
Immigration Detention Facility
Jan 6, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Djokovic Transferred to Immigration Detention Facility
He's fighting deportation from Australia
- Novak Djokovic spent a day confined to a hotel room waiting for a court to deal with the prospect of a possible deportation from Australia. The 20-time Grand Slam singles winner will spend at least another night there, in immigration detention, as he fights against the deportation move. With his...
Australia Says Djokovic
Will Be Sent Back
Jan 5, 2022 4:44 PM CST
Australia Says Djokovic Will Be Sent Back
Tennis star's visa has been canceled
This file has been updated with the decision to cancel Djokovic's visa
. Novak Djokovic landed in Melbourne just before midnight Wednesday local time—but the world's top-ranked tennis player wasn't allowed to actually enter Australia. The Serbian star spent the night at Tullamarine Airport due to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.