Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One)
to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Nov 28, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One) to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Scotland's most popular country music club, in Glasgow, was using Confederate flag in ceremony
- The Grand Ole Opry has been embroiled in a controversy over the Confederate flag—but it's not the Tennessee venue, and the controversy appears to be over, at least for now. The BBC reports that members of Scotland's most famous country music club, of the same name as...
Minnesota Is Replacing Flag
Sep 5, 2023 4:53 PM CDT
Minnesota Is Replacing Flag Considered Offensive
State aims to make new flag official by April 1
- A state commission went to work Tuesday on designing a new state flag and seal for Minnesota to replace a current emblem in both that's considered offensive to Native Americans. One of the main elements of Minnesota's state flag includes a prominent state seal against a blue background....
Trans Activist Who Bared
Breasts at WH Has a Message
Jun 17, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Trans Activist Who Bared Breasts at WH Has a Message
Rose Montoya says sorry for topless stunt at Pride Month event, blames it on 'overwhelming trans joy'
- A transgender activist who went topless during a White House Pride Month celebration last weekend, then showed it to the world via video, is now offering her mea culpa. "Today, I need to apologize," Rose Montoya said in a video posted Friday to Twitter , referencing the footage from...
Utah Has a New Flag
Mar 23, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Utah Has a New Flag
But opponents are calling for a referendum
- Utah has a new state flag—but with opposition to the newcomer unexpectedly strong, state leaders are stressing that the old flags aren't going to disappear. Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill Tuesday that will make the new flag the official state flag in March 2024,
Iran, US Soccer Now Have
Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Nov 28, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Iran takes offense after US federation's display of support for protesters
- In a move well beyond posting a cliche quote in the locker room, the US Soccer Federation angered Iran by publicly airing its support for Iranian protesters—two days before the nations' teams meet in the World Cup. The US federation posted Iran's flag on social media in a...
The French Flag
Year. No One
Nov 15, 2021 8:03 AM CST
The French Flag Changed Last Year. No One Said Anything
Macron started putting up flags at the presidential palace with a darker shade of blue
- For more than 40 years, the tricolor French flag has sported a bright shade of blue to match that found on Europe's flag . If you've been wondering over the past year, however, why that blue seems darker of late, you don't need an eye exam—you've...
With Violence After
Flag Is Pulled Down
Aug 18, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Taliban Respond With Violence After Flag Is Pulled Down
3 people were reportedly killed in Jalalabad
- In the eastern city of Jalalabad, locals went public with their dissent in a rare protest: They took down the Taliban flag that had been raised by the militants upon seizing control of the area. In its place they raised the national flag, a move made a day before Thursday'...
Pride Flag Replaced With
Confederate Flag on Campus
Aug 11, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Pride Flag Replaced With Confederate Flag on Campus
Police investigating what Virginia Tech's Wesley religious center calls a 'hate crime'
- A gay pride flag has been stolen from a religious center at Virginia Tech for the third time in two weeks, and this time a Confederate flag was erected in its place. Police in Blacksburg, Va., are investigating the vandalism at the Wesley center, which campus minister Bret Gresham spotted...
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of
Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Mar 3, 2021 10:55 AM CST
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Detectives reportedly brought new curtains to the neighbor, who won't be charged
- It was "horrible conduct," not criminal, and a prosecutor in Michigan is encouraging the state legislature to consider changing the law so that it would be considered criminal in the future. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Tuesday announced that her office was unable to charge a Grosse...
Sep 19, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Trumper Hits 13-Year-Old Girl: Report
Norbert Logsdon is accused of felony child abuse
- A Florida man is accused of ramming a 13-year-old girl in the face with a flagpole while demonstrating for President Trump, ActionNewsJax reports. Norbert Logsdon, 67, allegedly jammed the pole in Crystal Ledoux's car and struck her daughter Wednesday in the town of Orange Park. "I was scared...
State Flag's Rebel Symbol
Could Be Replaced by This
Sep 2, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
State Flag's Rebel Symbol Could Be Replaced by This
If Mississippi voters agree with commission's 8-1 decision
- Mississippi voters will decide whether to accept a new state flag with a magnolia to replace an old one legislators retired under pressure because it included the Confederate battle emblem that's widely seen as racist, the AP reports. A commission on Wednesday voted 8-1 to recommend the magnolia over...
New Mississippi Flag
Will Be One of These 2
Aug 26, 2020 2:19 AM CDT
New Mississippi Flag Will Be One of These 2
It's come down to a shield or a magnolia
- As Mississippi replaces its former flag that had the Confederate battle emblem, five proposals were literally run up a flagpole Tuesday. A group then narrowed the choice to two designs: One with a shield and one with a magnolia. “When you fly a flag up a flagpole, it sure...
Mississippi Group Demands
Vote on Reviving Flag
Aug 17, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Mississippi Group Demands Vote on Reviving Flag
'What the legislators did, in my opinion, was 100% wrong'
- Some Mississippi residents are rebelling against the Legislature's decision to retire a Confederate-themed state flag , and they are being encouraged by conservative legislators who fought the change. Organizers of a group called Let Mississippi Vote said Monday that they are starting an initiative to put the retired flag and...
Mosquitoes and Teddy Bears:
Mississippi Narrows Flag Ideas
Aug 12, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Mosquitoes and Teddy Bears: Mississippi Narrows Flag Ideas
Beer cans and guitars appear to be ruled out, too, for state's new design
- The new state flag for Mississippi cannot have a Confederate symbol on it. It must have the words, "In God We Trust." But there are basically no other constraints on the design, which was clear from the almost 3,000 possibilities submitted by the public, the AP reports....
Owners Take Down
Jul 30, 2020 8:58 AM CDT
Frustrated B&B Owners Take Down 'Confederate' Flag
It was actually a Norwegian flag flying outside a Michigan inn
- It's not so outlandish that a bed-and-breakfast named the Nordic Pineapple would fly a Norwegian flag at its front entrance. But a Michigan B&B has found out that vexillology isn't a strong point for locals, dozens of whom have mistaken the flag for a Confederate version. The...
Pentagon Bans Confederate
Flag, but Not in a Typical Way
Jul 17, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Pentagon Bans Confederate Flag, but Not in a Typical Way
New policy lists what flags can be shown at military installations, not which ones can't
- After weeks of wrangling, the Pentagon on Friday will ban displays of the Confederate flag on military installations, in a carefully worded policy that doesn't mention the word "ban" or that specific flag. The policy, laid out in a memo obtained by the AP , was described by officials...
After Historic Vote,
Will Be Scrapped
Jun 29, 2020 4:11 AM CDT
After Historic Vote, Mississippi Flag Will Be Scrapped
Mississippi lawmakers pass bill to choose a new one
- It's almost done: Mississippi lawmakers on Sunday passed a bill to change the state flag. After voting Saturday to suspend legislative deadlines and file the bill, the GOP-controlled state legislature held debates on the bill Sunday and voted, with the House passing the bill 91-23 and the Senate then...
What You Won't See Anymore
in Walmarts in This State
Jun 24, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
What You Won't See Anymore in Walmarts in This State
Miss. state flag, which bears Confederate symbol, will no longer be flown in retailer's stores there
- The NCAA has already warned Mississippi that it may be losing out on championship games if it doesn't change its state flag, the only one left in the US to still bear the Confederate symbol of a blue cross with 13 stars. Now, the biggest retailer in the country...
Prince Andrew's Birthday
Just Keeps Getting Sadder
Feb 7, 2020 7:01 AM CST
Prince Andrew's Birthday Just Keeps Getting Sadder
British government changes policy on nodding to royals on their special day after prince steps back
- Prince Andrew will turn 60 later this month, but it sounds like it may be among the more depressing birthdays he's had. First his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, downgraded his party from a big bash to a "small family dinner." Now, per the
, the UK government...
Man Gets 15-Plus Years
for Burning Pride Flag
Dec 20, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Man Gets 15-Plus Years for Burning Pride Flag
Adolfo Martinez said it was his 'honor' to set LGBT banner on fire in Ames, Iowa
- An Iowa man will have a lot of time to reflect on how burning an LGBTQ flag in June wasn't the right move. The AP reports that Adolfo Martinez, 30, was convicted last month, and Wednesday he was sentenced to at least 15 years behind bars for an arson...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.