Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Said NCAA
Nov 23, 2022 8:13 AM CST
She Said NCAA Caused Husband's Death. Jury Disagrees
Jurors rule in favor of sports body, blamed by wife of ex-USC player Matthew Gee for his CTE
- A Los Angeles jury on Tuesday rejected a claim by the widow of a former USC football player who said the NCAA failed to protect him from repeated head trauma that led to his death. Matthew Gee, a linebacker on the 1990 Rose Bowl-winning squad, endured an estimated 6,000...
After USC Adds Safety Rules,
6 Frats Break School Ties
Aug 17, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
After USC Adds Safety Rules, 6 Frats Break School Ties
New policy includes having security guards at parties
- In response to reports of sexual assaults at fraternity events last year and the student protests that followed, the University of Southern California imposed new security policies to take effect for this school year. But six fraternities have now decided to break official ties with the university rather than implement...
USC Sues YouTube Pranksters
Apr 12, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
USC Sues YouTube Pranksters Over 'Panic-Inducing Takeovers'
YouTubers are accused of disrupting multiple classes on California campus
- Two YouTubers have been issued a temporary restraining order to stay away from the University of Southern California campus after they allegedly pranked classes at the Los Angeles school. Ernest "Eric" Kanevsky and Yuguo Bai, who are being sued by USC, most recently disrupted a lecture on the Holocaust...
After Allegations, USC
to Require Guards
at Fraternity Parties
Jan 20, 2022 6:35 PM CST
After Allegations, USC to Require Guards at Fraternity Parties
Social gatherings can resume in March if new rules are followed
- Fraternity parties can resume at a major California campus in March, provided new rules are followed—including one requiring security guards to be posted on hallways leading to bedrooms. The USC rules are in response to allegations that sexual abuse and drugging took place at several houses last fall. Suspensions...
USC Apologizes to BYU
Over Televised Chant
Nov 29, 2021 12:10 PM CST
USC Apologizes to BYU Over Televised Chant
'F--- the Mormons' rang out multiple times from the stands
- Anyone who tuned in to USC's home game against Brigham Young on ESPN over the weekend might have heard a not-so-friendly chant from the stands. On at least five occasions, the crowd broke into a chant of "F--- the Mormons" during the game, reports the
USC Settles With Women
Abused at Its Clinic for $1B
Mar 25, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
USC Settles With Women Abused at Its Clinic for $1B
President hopes record payments 'provide some relief' to George Tyndall's victims
- A group of 710 women told a judge Thursday that they've settled their legal claims against USC over their abuse by a school gynecologist for $852 million. Combined with previous payments to thousands of alumnae and students who accused George Tyndall, the university's payments will surpass $1.1...
USC President Left With
$7.7M After Medical Scandal
Jul 16, 2020 5:42 PM CDT
USC President Left With $7.7M After Medical Scandal
Max Nikias stepped down in 2018, accused of ignoring complaints about gynecologist
- Max Nikias, who was president of the University of Southern California during what the US Department of Education called the school's "complete failure to protect students," left his job with nearly $7.7 million in total compensation. Nikias left his post in August 2018 , after a scandal...
Feb 21, 2020 8:50 AM CST
USC Makes a 'High-Octane' Tuition Move
California private school will waive tuition for families making $80K or less a year
- In what the
Los Angeles Times
calls a "high-octane" effort to open its doors to more middle- and low-income students, the University of South California announced a major initiative Thursday that will get rid of tuition for families earning $80,000 a year or less, starting with new students...
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's
Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Feb 10, 2020 5:35 PM CST
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Prosecutors release it in response to a filing from Loughlin, Giannulli
- Prosecutors have released the fake crew resume allegedly used by Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli to get their daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli into USC, reports the
, which has the document in full here . Per CNN , it lists Olivia Jade, now 20, as the winner of two gold...
for 'Appalling' Scam
Feb 7, 2020 3:15 PM CST
Ex-CEO Receives Longest Sentence for 'Appalling' Scam
Judge gives Douglas Hodge, who paid $850,000 to get his kids into college, 9 months in prison
- Douglas Hodge, the 14th parent sentenced in the college admissions bribery scandal, received nine months in prison Friday—the longest term in the case so far. Hodge pleaded guilty last fall to paying $850,000 in bribes to get four of his children into the University of Southern California and...
Loughlin Wants to Talk
Prison With Huffman: Report
Oct 22, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Loughlin Wants to Talk Prison With Huffman: Report
Another report says a plea deal may still be on the table for Loughlin
- Despite an alleged $500,000 spent to get them into the University of Southern California, Lori Loughlin's daughters are no longer enrolled at the school. Olivia Jade Giannulli, 20, and Isabella Rose Giannulli, 21, "are not currently enrolled" but "we are unable to provide additional information because...
16 Sexual Assaults
Jun 26, 2019 5:03 PM CDT
Ex-USC Gynecologist Charged With 16 Sexual Assaults
Investigation into George Tyndall's alleged actions is continuing
- A former campus gynecologist at the University of Southern California was charged Wednesday in the sexual assaults of 16 patients at the campus student health center, authorities said. Dr. George Tyndall has been the subject of a Los Angeles police investigation for more than a year after patients claimed sexual...
Lori Loughlin, Husband Want
to See Evidence Against Them
Apr 24, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Lori Loughlin, Husband Want to See Evidence Against Them
A motion was filed Monday in the case
- The next hearing in the case against 17 parents charged in the sweeping college admissions bribery scandal isn't until June 3, but one tidbit about the case's progress emerged Monday by way of a motion filed by the parents. In it, they're requesting to see the prosecution'...
What Cops Say They
Found in Ex-USC
OB-GYN's Storage Unit
Dec 12, 2018 11:50 AM CST
What Cops Say They Found in Ex-USC OB-GYN's Storage Unit
Allegedly, photos of naked women who appeared to be in an exam room
- Inside the storage unit of the ex-USC gynecologist accused of molesting hundreds of students, cops say they found what the
Los Angeles Times
calls a "trove of homemade pornography," as well as nude photos of women in what appeared to be a medical exam room. George Tyndall, who...
USC President Is Quitting
Over Gynecologist Scandal
May 26, 2018 8:20 AM CDT
USC President Is Quitting Over Gynecologist Scandal
C.L. Max Nikias stepping down amid accusations school did not stop abusive doctor
- The president of the University of Southern California has agreed to step down amid a raging sex scandal involving a university gynecologist who is accused of conducting inappropriate exams for decades. The university's board has "agreed to begin an orderly transition and commence the process of selecting a...
Drug Lord's Downfall:
a Beheading Video
Dec 21, 2017 10:35 AM CST
Behind California Drug Lord's Downfall: a Beheading Video
Owen Hanson sentenced to 21 years in prison for drug operation
- Owen "O-Dog" Hanson played on the same championship-winning USC football team as future NFL stars Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart, but he would ultimately take a very different career path. The 35-year-old California man was sentenced to more than 21 years in prison Friday after pleading guilty to racketeering...
USC Bans Former Dean,
Citing 'Egregious Behavior'
Jul 22, 2017 9:00 AM CDT
USC Bans Former Dean, Citing 'Egregious Behavior'
- New evidence in an investigation of Dr. Carmen Puliafito has USC quickly separating itself from the former Keck School of Medicine dean. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, the school has begun the process of firing Puliafito—which involves removing his faculty tenure—and has barred him from campus. Puliafito was...
Had a Secret Life
Jul 18, 2017 2:36 PM CDT
USC's Former Medical School Dean Allegedly Had a Secret Life
'Los Angeles Times' takes a long look
- Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito, the Harvard-educated former dean of USC's Keck School of Medicine, oversaw hundreds of medical students, professors, and clinicians; he estimated he raised more than $1 billion in funds for the Southern California university. But in March of last year he resigned; the only reason he...
Fatally Stabbed USC Professor
Dec 3, 2016 7:50 AM CST
Cops: Student Fatally Stabbed USC Professor
Police believe killing was personal dispute
- A student stabbed a psychology professor to death on the University of Southern California campus in Los Angeles on Friday in what authorities say was a personal dispute. An LAPD spokeswoman says the professor was killed inside the Seeley G. Mudd building in the heart of campus, the AP reports....
Stolen OJ Simpson Heisman Found, 20 Years Later
Jan 7, 2015 9:44 AM CST
Stolen OJ Simpson Heisman Found, 20 Years Later
USC's copy of the trophy was stolen in 1994
- A Heisman Trophy that OJ Simpson won in 1968 has been recovered more than 20 years after it was stolen in a burglary at the University of Southern California, police said last night. The trophy and a Simpson jersey were stolen in a burglary at Heritage Hall, home to USC'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.