Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 21, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
NJ Power Outage Had Unlikely Culprit
A fish fried a transformer, was likely dropped by a bird
- A power outage that cut electricity to a New Jersey community a week ago was due to an unlikely culprit—a fish that was apparently dropped by a bird and landed on a transformer, officials said. Sayreville police said Jersey Central Power and Light Company workers working on the Aug....
Texas to Overheated Locals:
Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Jun 21, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Texas to Overheated Locals: Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Other parts of South also suffering from sweltering temps, post-storm power outages
- Texas' power grid operator asked residents Tuesday to voluntarily cut back on electricity due to anticipated record demand on the system, as a heat wave kept large swaths of the state and southern US in triple-digit temperatures. On the last day of spring, the sweltering heat felt more like the...
Feb 5, 2023 5:25 PM CST
Below Zero One Day, 45 Above the Next
Temperatures soar in Northeast, especially, after brutal cold
- Temperatures in many areas of the Northeast US climbed to the mid-40s Fahrenheit on Sunday, a day after the region suffered through temperatures that plummeted into the negative teens and felt like minus 45 to minus 50 degrees with the wind chill. Atop 6,288-foot Mount Washington in New Hampshire,...
After North Carolina
Could Be Out for Days
Dec 5, 2022 1:53 AM CST
After North Carolina Shootings, Power Could Be Out for Days
No motive has yet been determined
- The Moore County sheriff confirmed Sunday that it was gunfire that damaged two North Carolina power substations Saturday, causing damage that could take days to repair. That means tens of thousands of residents could be without power for days, the AP reports. County schools are closed Monday, and a state...
Houston Residents Can
Drink Their Water Again
Nov 29, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Houston Residents Can Drink Their Water Again
City lifts boil advisory
- Houston officials lifted an order Tuesday that had called for more than 2 million people in the nation's fourth-largest city to boil their tap water before drinking or using it. The boil order had been in effect since Sunday, when a power outage at a purification plant caused pressure...
Power, Water Knocked
Out Again Across Ukraine
Oct 31, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Power, Water Knocked Out Again Across Ukraine
Critical infrastructure hit by Russian missile strikes in Kyiv, Kharkiv; 80% in capital without water
- A massive barrage of Russian strikes on Monday morning hit critical infrastructure in Kyiv, Kharkiv, and other cities, knocking out water and power in apparent retaliation for what Moscow alleged was a Ukrainian attack on its Black Sea Fleet over the weekend. The mayor of Ukraine's capital said 80%...
'Massive Missile Attack' Knocks
Out Power Throughout Ukraine
Oct 22, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
'Massive Missile Attack' Knocks Out Power Throughout Ukraine
Hundreds of thousands without electricity, and there are warnings about water supply in some areas
- Hundreds of thousands of people in central and western Ukraine woke up on Saturday to power outages and periodic bursts of gunfire, as Ukrainian air defense tried to shoot down drones and incoming missiles. Russia has intensified its strikes on power stations, water supply systems, and other key infrastructure across...
In 'Era of Extremes,' Calif. Asks
Residents to Turn Off Lights
Sep 7, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
In 'Era of Extremes,' Calif. Asks Residents to Turn Off Lights
Rare emergency alert called for switching off of nonessential power to prevent rolling outages
- Grappling with brutal heat this week, Californians were faced with a big ask, and it was a rare one, per KTLA . The state's Office of Emergency Services pushed out an alert Tuesday evening requesting that residents switch off any nonessential power, in an attempt to conserve energy and prevent...
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's
Going to Be a Hot One
Jun 27, 2022 7:07 AM CDT
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's Going to Be a Hot One
Government asks 37M residents to use less electricity to avoid power outages amid heat wave
- Temps in Japan usually hover below 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the month of June, but a heat wave that's descended upon Tokyo and surrounding areas has led the government to plead with 37 million residents to switch off their lights to avoid power outages. The BBC reports that the...
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid
Sees Major Blackout After Fire
Apr 7, 2022 10:52 AM CDT
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid Sees Major Blackout After Fire
More than 1 million customers are without power across the island
- More than a million customers in Puerto Rico remained without electricity on Thursday after a fire at a main power plant caused the biggest blackout so far this year across the US territory, forcing it to cancel classes and shutter government offices. The blackout also left some 160,000 customers...
Ice, Even a
Feb 4, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Powerful Storm Brings Snow, Ice, Even a Tornado
Severe winter weather across wide swath of US leaves 350K homes, businesses without power
- About 350,000 homes and businesses lost power across the US on Thursday as freezing rain and snow weighed down tree limbs and encrusted power lines, part of a winter storm that caused a deadly tornado in Alabama, dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest,...
Power Plants Shut Down
Oct 10, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Lebanon’s Main Power Plants Shut Down
2 main state power plants expected to come back online Monday at the earliest
- Lebanon’s two main power plants were forced to shut down after running out of fuel, the state electricity company said Saturday, leaving the small country with no government-produced power. "It is unlikely that it will work until next Monday, or for several days," the
With Tips for
Feb 18, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Twitter Thread Goes Viral With Tips for Freezing Texans
Towels, blankets, pantyhose, pool noodles, even your own armpits can prove invaluable
- As a writer living in Michigan, Rebecca Mix is no stranger to winter storms and the resulting power outages. That's why she decided to share her tips for keeping as toasty and safe as possible when you've got no heat, no electricity, and perhaps no water, per Digg...
Yes, I Flew
Feb 18, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Ted Cruz: Yes, I Flew to Cancun
Texas senator says he accompanied daughters to be a 'good dad' amid state's winter emergency
- Texans have lots of questions on their minds these days. When will the heat come back on ? Will we run out of water ? And now, where's Ted? That would be Sen. Ted Cruz, who confirmed on Thursday that he flew to Cancun with his family amid the...
Amid Texas Chaos,
a New Calamity
Feb 18, 2021 6:49 AM CST
Amid Texas Chaos, a New Calamity
Hospitals are running out of water
- The chaos in Texas amid freezing weather that has left millions in the cold and dark has made its way to the state's hospitals. One issue that has caused things to become especially dire at medical centers: a lack of running water, resulting in problems ranging from low water...
How One Texan Is
Holding Up: 'I Cannot Do This'
Feb 17, 2021 1:18 PM CST
How One Texan Is Holding Up: 'I Cannot Do This'
The pandemic and storm are all too much for some
- Texas' energy grid stands on its own, isolated from the rest of the country and unable to import power from other states. That means "when it comes to electricity, what happens in Texas stays in Texas," Dan Cohan, an associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, tells...
Texas Mayor Tells People
They're on Their Own
in Outage, Resigns
Feb 17, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Texas Mayor Tells People They're on Their Own in Outage, Resigns
Tim Boyd's online rant said Colorado City owes citizens 'NOTHING' during power outage
- A Texas mayor has relinquished the reins of his post as a now-deleted Facebook post on the state's power outages continues to make its rounds via screenshots . Ex-Colorado City Mayor Tim Boyd was apparently upset after residents reached out to him about their electricity and water outages, and he...
Northeast Braces for
Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Dec 5, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Northeast Braces for Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Some areas could see double-digit snowfall levels in area's first major snowstorm of the season
- The Northeast's first major snowstorm of the season is set to blanket multiple states over the weekend, with strong winds, anticipated snowfall in the double digits, heavy rains, and power outages in some areas. The weather event may even turn into a "bomb cyclone," which occurs when...
California Is Going Dark Again
Oct 23, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
California Is Going Dark Again
Hundreds of thousands expected to be affected by power outages amid fire fears
- The state's largest utility said it will go ahead with widespread blackouts affecting nearly half a million people starting Wednesday as dangerous fire weather returns to California. Pacific Gas & Electric Co. said it would begin precautionary power shutoffs in the afternoon affecting nearly 180,000 homes and businesses...
Power Outage Stops Trains,
Road Traffic in Britain
Aug 9, 2019 4:46 PM CDT
Power Outage Stops Trains, Road Traffic in Britain
'Do not travel,' railway tells customers
- Large chunks of Britain, including London, were hit with a power outage Friday afternoon that disrupted train travel and snarled rush-hour traffic. Power supplier National Grid said that issues with two generators had caused a loss of power across parts of the country and that they had been resolved, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.