Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mom Charged After
2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Jun 7, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Mom Charged After 2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Florida couple kept their gun unsecured in a home with 3 children, police say
- A Florida woman is facing a manslaughter charge after her 2-year-old son fatally shot his father in the back. Marie Ayala, 28, of Orlando said she heard a "loud pop" on May 26 before finding 26-year-old father of three Reggie Mabry bleeding on the floor of their home, per...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years
in Drowning of 2 Detainees
May 20, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years in Drowning of 2 Detainees
Women were trapped in back of van after Stephen Flood tried to drive through water
- A former deputy in South Carolina who ignored supervisors' suggestions of alternate routes and tried to drive through floodwaters has been found guilty on all charges in the deaths of two women trapped in the back of a sheriff's department van. Stephen Flood, 70, was sentenced to 18 years...
13 Years After Jet Crash, Sole
Survivor May 'Know the Truth'
May 10, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
13 Years After Jet Crash, Sole Survivor May 'Know the Truth'
Bahia Bakari, who emerged from 2009 crash that killed 152, attends trial of Yemenia in France
- The lone survivor of a 2009 passenger plane crash in the Indian Ocean that killed 152 people sat in the front row of a Paris courtroom Monday at the opening of the trial of the Yemeni airline that operated the flight. Yemen's main airline, Yemenia, has been charged with...
Kidd Creole Sentenced
to 16 Years for Manslaughter
May 5, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
Kidd Creole Sentenced to 16 Years for Manslaughter
Hip-hop legend was found guilty of stabbing homeless NYC man
: Nathaniel Glover, better known Kidd Creole, a founding member of hip-hop legends Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, has been sentenced to 16 years for killing a homeless man in 2017. The 61-year-old could been sentenced to up to 25 years in state prison for manslaughter, but prosecutors and...
Alabama State Employee
Killed by Pack of Dogs
May 2, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Alabama State Employee Killed by Pack of Dogs
Health worker Jacqueline Beard was killed while investigating an earlier dog attack
- An employee for the Alabama Department of Public Health was killed by a pack of dogs on Friday. According to local KKTV News, police were in the area responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle, which turned out to belong to Jacqueline Beard, the victim, whose body was discovered...
Dunkin' Worker Who
Killed Customer Gets
2 Years House Arrest
Mar 8, 2022 5:32 PM CST
Dunkin' Worker Who Killed Customer Gets 2 Years House Arrest
Corey Pujols was called a racial slur by Tampa customer
: A Dunkin' employee who punched a customer, causing the man's death three days later, has been sentenced to two years of house arrest plus three years probation after pleading guilty to felony battery, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. The charge was reduced from aggravated manslaughter under a plea...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop
Jan 12, 2022 12:27 AM CST
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop Convicted of Killing Daughter's Black Boyfriend
Shannon Kepler convicted of murder in federal trial
A former Oklahoma police officer has been tried and convicted, again, in the 2014 killing of his daughter's Black boyfriend. Shannon Kepler, who was tried four times in state court, was convicted (this time in his first trial in federal court) of second-degree murder, the AP reports. He...
Arrests in Case of Women Who
Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Dec 17, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Arrests in Case of Women Who Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Christy Giles, Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola died in November
- Three men have been arrested in the deaths of two women who were dropped at Los Angeles hospitals on the same day last month . Model and aspiring actress Christy Giles, 24, was pronounced dead Nov. 13, shortly after masked men in a black Toyota Prius without a license plate left...
He Died Chasing
Men Who Stole
Now, a Verdict
Nov 11, 2021 9:25 AM CST
He Died Chasing Men Who Stole His Laptop. Now, a Verdict
2 convicted on murder, manslaughter charges after 2019 Starbucks robbery led to death of Shuo Zeng
Two men have been convicted in a 2019 laptop robbery at a Bay Area Starbucks that left a research engineer dead. The
reports a jury on Wednesday found 24-year-old Byron Reed guilty of second-degree murder, and 20-year-old Kejuan Wiggins guilty of voluntary manslaughter, in the Dec. 31,...
It Happened 'in
Just 8 Minutes.'
Now, a Cop Charged
Nov 3, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
It Happened 'in Just 8 Minutes.' Now, a Cop Charged
DA: Kenneth Cha shot unarmed man in 2017; the man died last January
- For just the second time, an on-duty law enforcement officer in San Francisco is being prosecuted for a homicide, according to the district attorney's office. Officer Kenneth Cha faces charges of voluntary manslaughter and assault with a semiautomatic firearm, among others, after allegedly shooting an unarmed Sean Moore—who...
Nearly 5 Years
Oct 21, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Cop Gets Nearly 5 Years for Killing 911 Caller
Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond when responding to her call in Minneapolis
- A Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed woman after she called 911 to report a possible rape happening behind her home was sentenced Thursday to nearly five years in prison—the maximum allowed for manslaughter after his murder conviction was overturned in the case, per the AP . Mohamed...
Mother Convicted in 1981
Death of Newborn Left in Field
Oct 12, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Mother Convicted in 1981 Death of Newborn Left in Field
Theresa Bentaas, who allegedly said she was 'young and stupid,' faces life in prison
A South Dakota woman has been convicted in the death of her newborn son, found alone in a cornfield 40 years ago. Theresa Bentaas, 60, of Sioux Falls, entered what's known as an Alford plea to manslaughter charges, a move in which she technically admits no guilt, reports...
Partner of Lord's Son
Charged With Killing Cop
Jun 1, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Partner of Lord's Son Charged With Killing Cop
Canada's Jasmine Hartin accused of accidentally shooting Belizean police officer in the head
- The daughter-in-law of a British-Belizean billionaire has been charged with shooting a police officer in the head in Belize. Jasmine Hartin—the wife of Lord Michael Ashcroft's youngest son, Andrew, himself a well-known property developer in Belize—was charged Monday with manslaughter by negligence in the death of police...
Trial Date Set for Ex-Cop
Who Shot Daunte Wright
May 18, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Trial Date Set for Ex-Cop Who Shot Daunte Wright
Kim Potter's trial for second-degree manslaughter to begin Dec. 6
- A Minnesota judge has found probable cause to support the second-degree manslaughter charge against former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter, who's accused of fatally shooting Daunte Wright during an April 11 traffic stop , setting the stage for a December trial. "I think it's to the benefit...
Man Accused of Running
Over His Kids With Backhoe
Apr 8, 2021 8:28 AM CDT
Man Accused of Running Over His Kids With Backhoe
Texas father Vijender Chauhan charged with manslaughter
- Two young children are dead in Texas, where their father is charged with killing them with a backhoe. Vijender Chauhan, 40, had been driving a John Deere backhoe close to his home near Roanoke on Saturday evening "with multiple children and adults riding on various moving parts" of the...
Online Model's Husband
Sentenced to 16 Years
Feb 8, 2021 3:26 PM CST
Online Model's Husband Sentenced to 16 Years
'Kitty Kat West' was found dead outside couple's home
- An Alabama judge rejected pleas for leniency from the victim's mother and 15-year-old daughter and sentenced former campus police officer and Army veteran William Jeffrey West to 16 years in prison Monday. West was convicted in November last year of reckless manslaughter in the death of his wife , Kathleen...
6 Guilty in Deaths of 39
Who Suffocated in Truck
Dec 21, 2020 2:49 PM CST
6 Guilty in Deaths of 39 Who Suffocated in Truck
'They were treated worse than cattle'
- With double the usual number of migrants packed into a sealed refrigeration container to be smuggled into Britain from the Belgian port of Zeebrugge, truck company owner Ronan Hughes warned driver Maurice Robinson via text that he should stop and give them air when he left the port in England....
Beach Apparel Entrepreneur
Accused in Teen's Death
in case you missed it
Nov 15, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Beach Apparel Entrepreneur Accused in Teen's Death
Michael Hutto claims to have accidentally shot 18-year-old girlfriend
- The 54-year-old founder of beach apparel brand Salt Life has been arrested after his 18-year-old girlfriend was found shot to death in a luxury oceanfront hotel room in Florida. According to an affidavit, Michael Troy Hutto claims to have accidentally killed Lora Grace Duncan of Lake City, Fla., in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.