Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Chinese Fleet Raises
Alarms at the Galapagos
Jul 30, 2020 4:09 PM CDT
Chinese Fleet Raises Alarms at the Galapagos
260 fishing vessels are just outside the international boundary
- Some call it a floating city, a flotilla of 260 mostly Chinese fishing vessels near the Galapagos archipelago that is stirring diplomatic tension and raising worries about the threat to sharks, manta rays, and other vulnerable species in waters around the UNESCO world heritage site, per the AP . Yet the...
They Saved Their Species.
Their Reward: Homecoming
Jun 17, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
They Saved Their Species. Their Reward: Homecoming
Sex-crazed Diego among 15 giant tortoises returned to native island
- Mission accomplished for a group of 15 male giant tortoises credited with saving their species from extinction. The tortoises—part of a breeding program that began in the 1960s when there were just two males and 12 females left in the wild, per CNN —were returned to their home...
Sentenced to 8 Years
Apr 7, 2020 3:03 PM CDT
Ecuador's Ex-President Sentenced to 8 Years
Rafael Correa, 19 others guilty of corruption
- Former Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa moved to Belgium after leaving office in 2017—and a court judgment Tuesday makes it unlikely that he will soon return to his homeland, let alone return to politics. A court found Correa, first elected in 2007, guilty of corruption and sentenced him to eight...
Welcome to the World
of Coronavirus Shaming
Apr 4, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Welcome to the World of Coronavirus Shaming
For Bella Lamilla's loved ones, grief is compounded by people's intolerance
- Bella Lamilla was hospitalized in terrible shape, but did she know what others were saying? One hopes not. "It was ugly," says her great-nephew. "It hurt a lot." That's because Lamilla, Ecuador's "patient zero," was ripped apart on social media for contracting...
'Illegal and Dangerous':
Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Dec 23, 2019 10:25 AM CST
'Illegal and Dangerous': Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Crane falls on vessel, causing boat to tip, oil to seep into water off of San Cristobal Island
- CNN notes that environmentalists are likely to be fuming after an accident in the Galapagos Islands over the weekend that dumped 600 gallons of oil into the water. The spill happened early Sunday as a crane was lowering a container onto a cargo vessel on San Cristobal Island, lost...
After 10 Days of Protests,
Ecuador Axes Austerity Plan
Oct 14, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
After 10 Days of Protests, Ecuador Axes Austerity Plan
'We did it!' protesters shouted
- Ecuador's President Lenín Moreno and indigenous leaders celebrated a deal struck late Sunday to cancel a disputed austerity package and end nearly two weeks of protests that have paralyzed the economy and left seven dead. Under the agreement, Moreno will withdraw the International Monetary Fund-backed package known as...
Dear Everyone in Ecuador,
We Have Bad News
Sep 17, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
Dear Everyone in Ecuador, We Have Bad News
A breach has exposed your personal data
- A security company has discovered a data breach that exposed the personal data of more than 20 million Ecuadoreans—which is especially impressive considering that Ecuador has a population of about 16.6 million. It seems the breach not only covers every living person in the country, but it affects...
CNN Report Fuels Questions
About Assange's Meetings
Jul 17, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
CNN Report Fuels Questions About Assange's Meetings
Records show he met with Russians; did he know who he was meeting with?
- The former president of Ecuador who allowed Julian Assange to take refuge in the country's London embassy has admitted that the country's guest meddled in the United States' 2016 election. "We did notice that he was interfering in the elections and we do not allow that because...
Ecuador President: Assange's
Bad Hygiene a Big Issue
Apr 15, 2019 11:57 AM CDT
Ecuador President: Assange's Bad Hygiene a Big Issue
President Lenín Moreno says he tried to use embassy as 'center for spying'
- Julian Assange was a bad guest who attempted to turn Ecuador's embassy in London into a "center for spying." So charges Ecuadorian President Lenín Moreno in an interview with the
, elaborating on comments he made roughly a week before Assange's arrest. In early April,...
Friend: Assange Thought
Trump Aides Were 'Clowns'
Apr 12, 2019 6:22 AM CDT
Friend: Assange Thought Trump Aides Were 'Clowns'
Extradition fight could last years
- Julian Assange has traded Ecuador's London embassy for a British jail cell , and friend Sean Langan says the WikiLeaks co-founder is very worried about where he might end up next. Langan, a documentary filmmaker, tells ABC that on one of his many visits to the embassy, Assange expressed fears...
War of Words Heats Up
Between Ecuador, Assange
Apr 6, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
War of Words Heats Up Between Ecuador, Assange
Julian Assange remains in London embassy to avoid arrest
- Ecuador has denied a claim by WikiLeaks that Julian Assange is about to be expelled from the country's embassy in London. WikiLeaks had tweeted Friday that its founder would be kicked out of the embassy within "hours to days." Late Friday, NBC reports, Ecuador's Ministry of...
All Eyes on Ecuador Embassy
After WikiLeaks Tweets
Apr 5, 2019 6:56 AM CDT
All Eyes on Ecuador Embassy After WikiLeaks Tweets
It says 2 sources confirmed Julian Assange will be expelled within 'hours to days'
- Outside the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, the media wait—to see if Julian Assange leaves the building for the first time since August 2012. It wouldn't be by choice: WikiLeaks on Thursday tweeted the following: "BREAKING: A high level source within the Ecuadorian state has told @WikiLeaks that...
Ecuador President Says
Assange Broke Asylum Deal
Apr 3, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Ecuador President Says Assange Broke Asylum Deal
He blames WikiLeaks for leak of private photos
- There are fresh signs that Julian Assange's extremely long stay in Ecuador's London embassy might be nearing its end. President Lenin Moreno told the Ecuadorean Radio Broadcasters' Association Tuesday that the WikiLeaks founder has "repeatedly violated" the terms of his asylum in the embassy, where he has...
Ecuador Tells Assange
to Clean His Bathroom
Oct 16, 2018 2:35 AM CDT
Ecuador Tells Assange to Clean His Bathroom
He's also been ordered to avoid political activity
- Ecuador's embassy in London says Julian Assange can have his Internet access restored, but if he wants to carry on staying under their roof, he's going to have to behave himself—and do his chores. According to a nine-page Spanish-language memo leaked to a news outlet in Ecuador,...
Judge: ICE Can't Deport
Pizza Delivery Guy Yet
Jun 10, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Judge: ICE Can't Deport Pizza Delivery Guy Yet
Pablo Villavicencio gets an emergency stay until July 20
- The Ecuadorian who tried to deliver pizza to a NYC Army base and ended up with a deportation order has been granted an emergency stay by a federal judge, reports NBC News . The stay gives Pablo Villavicencio relief from being returned to Ecuador until July 20, reports the AP , though...
Report: Ecuador Spent $5M
on Assange Spy Operation
May 16, 2018 1:45 AM CDT
Report: Ecuador Spent $5M on Assange Spy Operation
'Operation Guest' was based in flat near embassy
- The relationship between Julian Assange and his hosts has soured , but in happier times Ecuador spent millions of dollars on a spy operation to protect the WikiLeaks founder after he fled to the country's London embassy in 2012, according to documents seen by the
. The documents show that...
Apr 13, 2018 1:50 PM CDT
3 Kidnapped Journalists Are Killed
They were investigating drug-fueled violence along Ecuador-Colombia border
- Ecuador's President Lenin Moreno has confirmed the deaths of three press workers kidnapped along the country's conflictive border with Colombia. Moreno spoke Friday after a 12-hour deadline ended with the captors failing to meet his demands that they demonstrate the hostages were still alive or face a military...
Julian Assange Has
Lost His Internet Access
Mar 28, 2018 6:49 PM CDT
Julian Assange Has Lost His Internet Access
Ecuador is punishing WikiLeaks founder for tweets about ex-spy's poisoning
- Much like a child caught blowing off his math homework, Julian Assange has lost his internet privileges.
reports Ecuador announced Wednesday it had cut off the WikiLeaks founder's internet access. Assange has been living at the Ecuadorian embassy in London since 2012, avoiding alternately extradition to Sweden...
Citizenship, but He's
Still in a Snag
Jan 11, 2018 11:20 AM CST
Assange Granted Citizenship, but He's Still in a Snag
Ecuador comes to his aid yet again
- Following a "total victory" last spring , Julian Assange has faced a setback in his attempt to extricate himself from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London that's been his home for five and a half years. The British government announced Thursday it had rejected Ecuador's request to grant Assange...
After Nearly 100 Years,
Vatican Returns Shrunken Head
Dec 16, 2017 4:09 PM CST
After Nearly 100 Years, Vatican Returns Shrunken Head
The 'tsantsa' was brought to the Vatican from Ecuador by a missionary in 1925
- For nearly a century, the Vatican has been in possession of a shrunken head the size of a fist that once belonged to the Shuar, an indigenous people of Ecuador. In an unlikely move Saturday, the Vatican returned it, AFP reports. It's "very rare" for the Vatican museums...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.