Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Nov 20, 2017 10:28 AM CST
Trump: NFL Should Suspend Marshawn Lynch Over Protest
Oakland Raider stood for Mexico's national anthem, sat for US version
- On Sunday, Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch stood for a national anthem for the first time this season. It was the Mexican one. Lynch remained seated for the US national anthem before the team's game in Mexico City against the New England Patriots,
reports. Lynch has...
Strong Aftershock Hits a
Still-Reeling Mexico City
Sep 23, 2017 10:19 AM CDT
Strong Aftershock Hits a Still-Reeling Mexico City
No word on new damage or injuries from Saturday's aftershock
- A strong aftershock has rolled through Mexico City, swaying buildings and sending some people running into the street, the AP reports. The quake early Saturday was much weaker than the magnitude 7.1 earthquake that hit on Tuesday, killing at least 295 people and knocking down buildings across the capital....
Girl's Wiggling Fingers
Give Rescuers Hope
at Collapsed School
Sep 20, 2017 6:05 PM CDT
Girl's Wiggling Fingers Give Rescuers Hope at Collapsed School
At least 21 children died when school in Mexico collapsed during earthquake
- Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said Wednesday afternoon that up to 30 people are still trapped inside the rubble of the Enrique Rebsamen School in Mexico City, CNN reports. It's unclear how many of the missing are still alive. The school, which houses children as young as kindergarten,...
When Quake Hit
Sep 20, 2017 1:11 PM CDT
Mexican News Anchor Was Broadcasting Live When Quake Hit
But Enrique Campos kept his cool
- "Right now that's the earthquake alarm going off," Business Insider quotes Enrique Campos as saying. "This is not a drill." The anchor for Mexico's Foro TV was in the middle of a live broadcast from the studio in Mexico City when a 7.1...
Mexico Quake Should Rattle
Every Person in Los Angeles
Sep 20, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Mexico Quake Should Rattle Every Person in Los Angeles
Op-ed writer worries he's 'glimpsing my own future'
- Residents of Los Angeles should be feeling more than empathy in the wake of Mexico City's 7.1 magnitude earthquake that left more than 200 dead Tuesday. They should also be experiencing fear, writes Mariel Garza at the
Los Angeles Times
. "Though of course my heart goes out...
Among the Mexico City
Sep 20, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
Among the Mexico City Earthquake Victims: 21 Schoolkids
Toll tops 200 in country's strongest quake in decades
- Rescue operations are ongoing in Mexico, where authorities say the death toll from Tuesday's devastating 7.1 magnitude earthquake has risen to at least 224. The victims include at least 21 children and four adults killed in the collapse of the Enrique Rabsamen primary school in Mexico City's...
At Least 119 Dead in
Magnitude 7.1 Mexico Quake
Sep 19, 2017 6:38 PM CDT
At Least 119 Dead in Magnitude 7.1 Mexico Quake
Buildings collapsed and thousands fled into the streets
- A magnitude 7.1 earthquake stunned central Mexico on Tuesday, killing at least 119 people as buildings collapsed, the AP reports. Scores of buildings collapsed or were severely damaged in densely populated parts of Mexico City and nearby states. Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said buildings collapsed at 44 places in...
Subway's 'Penis Seat'
Is Getting Some Attention
Apr 3, 2017 10:28 AM CDT
Subway's 'Penis Seat' Is Getting Some Attention
Mexico City takes on sexual harassment with eye-popping commuter prop
- Shaking heads. Disgusted looks. Giggles. These are all reactions you'll spot in a YouTube video documenting a Mexico City subway experiment that definitely caught commuters' attention. In what's described as an empathy-building campaign, the city's government teamed up with UN Women to create the #NoEsDeHombres campaign (per...
650-Year-Old Temple Found
Under Mexican Supermarket
Nov 30, 2016 7:28 PM CST
650-Year-Old Temple Found Under Mexican Supermarket
It's believed to have been built to worship the god of wind
- Working at the site of a demolished supermarket in Mexico City, archaeologists only had to dig 10 feet down to find a temple built more than 650 years ago, researchers said Wednesday. The circular platform, about 36 feet in diameter and 4 feet tall, now sits in the shadow of...
Woman Gets Birth
Certificate at 117,
Jul 1, 2016 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Gets Birth Certificate at 117, Immediately Dies
Trinidad Alvarez Lira never got to enjoy her full old-age benefits
- A 117-year-old woman in Mexico City finally received her birth certificate, and died a few hours later. The AP reports Trinidad Alvarez Lira had waited years for proof that she had been born in 1898. She hadn't received all the government old-age benefits she was entitled to because she...
UFO Proponents Unveil
'Roswell Alien' Photo
May 11, 2015 7:15 PM CDT
UFO Proponents Unveil 'Roswell Alien' Photo
But critics say it's likely a mummified child
- UFO enthusiasts last week got a gander of an alien allegedly recovered from Roswell—oversized head and all—but experts say the evidence likely originated on planet Earth, Tech Times reports. Attendees at a UFO conference in Mexico City paid $350 for the chance to see an old Kodachrome color...
Blast Collapses Part
of Maternity Hospital
Jan 29, 2015 10:07 AM CST
Blast Collapses Part of Maternity Hospital
At least 7 dead, many children injured
- "We have ... many children trapped in the ruins." Tragedy in Mexico City today, where a gas tank truck explosion left part of a maternity and children's hospital in ruins. CNN reports three adults and four children have been confirmed dead, and another 54—22 of them children—...
Sep 5, 2014 3:30 PM CDT
Hillary Says When She'll Decide on Presidency
Clinton figures she'll 'probably' decide by early 2015
- The latest on Hillary Clinton's possible presidential run: She'll decide by early next year. Or so she said when asked about it today at a forum in Mexico City , MSNBC reports. "I am going to be making a decision … probably after the first of the year...
Powerful Quake Rattles
Mexico City, Acapulco
Apr 18, 2014 10:59 AM CDT
Powerful Quake Rattles Mexico City, Acapulco
No major reports of damage so far after magnitude-7.2 quake
- A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake shook central and southern Mexico today, sending panicked people into the streets. No early reports of major damage or casualties surfaced, despite widespread accounts of shattered windows and falling debris. The US Geological Survey said the quake was centered northwest of Acapulco, where many Mexicans...
World's Top Drug Kingpin
in Underground Cell
Feb 23, 2014 4:26 PM CST
World's Top Drug Kingpin in Underground Cell
US aiming to extradite Joaquin Guzman
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, the head of the Sinaloa drug cartel, is being held in an underground cell near Mexico City following his arrest this weekend —and US federal prosecutors in New York want to extradite him. He's wanted in six districts in this country, NBC News...
Find Weird Sacrifice
Jan 1, 2014 11:32 AM CST
Subway Diggers Find Weird Sacrifice in Mexico
Dog was on Aztec skull rack alongside humans
- Digging deep under a city as ancient as Mexico City is bound to turn up surprises, and archaeologists have found one that changes their understanding of Aztec human sacrifice. Excavations for an extension of the city's subway system turned up the remains of numerous sacrifices, including the skull of...
Mass Grave Tied to 12 Who Vanished From Mexico Bar
Aug 22, 2013 1:00 PM CDT
Mass Grave Tied to 12 Who Vanished From Mexico Bar
DNA tests being run on the bodies
- A mass grave has been discovered east of Mexico City, and Mexican authorities today said they are conducting tests to determine if it holds some of the 12 people who vanished from a bar in an upscale area of the capital at midday on May 26. At least seven corpses...
Hit Mexico City
Jun 9, 2013 7:23 AM CDT
Naked Bikers Hit Mexico City
World Naked Bike Ride underscores cyclists' rights, health and environment benefits
- Mexico City's infamous smog-inducing traffic ground to a brief halt yesterday as throngs of naked bicyclists took to its streets in an attention-grabbing bid to protest the Mexican capital's car culture and promote their own rights, reports the BBC . Dubbed the World Naked Bike Ride, an estimated 300...
Mexico City Mystery: How
Did 12 Youths Just Vanish?
Jun 5, 2013 12:32 PM CDT
Mexico City Mystery: How Did 12 Youths Just Vanish?
Parents say cops are ignoring alleged kidnapping due to poor background
- A mysterious case persists in Mexico City, where a dozen young people seem to have simply vanished from a bar in broad daylight. Their parents say police haven't done enough since their children—the youngest of whom is 16—went missing early May 26, because they come from a...
13 Die in Fiery Mexico Crash
May 7, 2013 9:06 AM CDT
13 Die in Fiery Mexico Crash
Gas tanker driver lost control while speeding: reports
- A gas tanker crashed in Mexico today, resulting in a giant fireball and killing at least 13 people; another 13 were injured. Two of those killed were children, says an official. The crash occurred on a highway in Mexico state near Mexico City, CNN reports. The tanker had been speeding...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.