Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest post-presidency news about President Barack Obama on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
Nov 22, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
$100M donation from Amazon founder is largest Obama foundation has ever received
- Barack Obama’s foundation announced Monday that it has received a $100 million donation from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, which it says is the largest individual contribution it has received to date. The former president's foundation said in a statement that the gift from Bezos is intended "to...
Obama Concedes Doubts
About Climate Action Progress
Nov 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Obama Concedes Doubts About Climate Action Progress
'We can't afford hopelessness,' former president says as he pressures Russia, China
- Former President Barack Obama expressed confidence at UN climate talks Monday that the Biden administration will ultimately get its $555 billion climate package through Congress, and faulted China and Russia for what he called a "dangerous lack of urgency" in cutting their own climate-wrecking emissions. As nations complained of...
Obama Comes Out Swinging
In Race for Virginia Gov
Oct 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Obama Comes Out Swinging In Race for Virginia Gov
Terry McAuliffe wants to be governor again
- Former President Barack Obama offered a sharp rebuke of the Republican candidate for Virginia governor, Glenn Youngkin, as he encouraged voters on Saturday to support Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the closely watched race. Obama accused Youngkin of portraying himself as a friendly everyman while encouraging what Obama called “lies...
After 5 Years, Obamas
Break Ground on
Sep 28, 2021 6:13 PM CDT
After 5 Years, Obamas Break Ground on Presidential Center
Former president say it's his way of giving back to Chicago's South Side
- After five years of legal battles, gentrification concerns, and a federal review, Barack and Michelle Obama dug shovels into the ground Tuesday during a celebratory groundbreaking on their legacy project in a lakefront Chicago park. Construction on the Obama Presidential Center along Lake Michigan, near the Obama family home and...
Three Presidents to Mark
Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
Sep 4, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Three Presidents to Mark Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
Biden will go to each site, while Obama and Bush also plan to take part in commemorations
- President Biden will visit all three 9/11 memorial sites to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks and pay his respects to the nearly 3,000 people killed that day. Biden will visit Ground Zero in New York City, the Pentagon, and the memorial outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where...
Group Asks SCOTUS to Halt
Obama Library Construction
Aug 18, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Group Asks SCOTUS to Halt Obama Library Construction
They say it will wreck Chicago's Jackson Park
- Work on Barack Obama's presidential library finally began this week—but the project's opponents want the Supreme Court to order an immediate halt. The Protect Our Parks group has filed an emergency request with Justice Amy Coney Barrett, arguing that the project will do irreparable harm to Jackson...
Aug 4, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
Obama's Mega Birthday Bash Dashed by Delta
Ex-president to 'scale back' Mass. event with hundreds of invitees due to variant spread
- Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, and George Clooney were supposed to come. Pearl Jam was set to entertain the guests. Now, Barack Obama, who turns 60 on Wednesday, will have to settle instead for celebrating his milestone birthday with Michelle and a much smaller crowd. A huge outdoor bash for the...
Aug 2, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Obama Guests: Spielberg, Pearl Jam, a 'COVID Coordinator'
President hosting birthday bash on Martha's Vineyard amid delta surge
- Barack Obama is turning 60 on Wednesday, and he plans to celebrate with a bash on his 30-acre property this weekend on Martha's Vineyard, reports Axios . The site says nearly 500 guests are expected, in addition to about 200 staff to serve them, a total that's raising eyebrows...
Podcast By a Couple
of Bosses Becomes a Book
Jul 22, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
Podcast By a Couple of Bosses Becomes a Book
Print version of 'Renegades,' from Obama and Springsteen, will have a few additions
- There's a new chapter in the collaboration of Barack and the Boss.
Renegades: Born in the USA
is a bound edition of the popular
podcast featuring conversations between former President Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen on topics such as fame, cars—and the country itself. Penguin Random House...
'They Were Killing
All the Black People'
May 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Tulsa Witness: 'They Were Killing All the Black People'
City marks centennial of attack whose destruction is still felt today
- For decades, many Americans knew little of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. Events and news media coverage marking the centennial this weekend are trying to change that, partly by assessing the lasting pain and depth of the horrific attack on the city's Black people—including an examination of how...
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed
Obama at 11 Dies at 23
May 15, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed Obama at 11 Dies at 23
Damon Weaver was on his way to a journalism career
- Getting to tell the president what you want in your school lunch is a dream come true for a kid. And landing an interview with a sitting president is a dream come true for a young reporter. Damon Weaver did both at the same time in 2009 , when he was...
Oldest Supreme Court Justice
Under Pressure to Retire
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Oldest Supreme Court Justice Under Pressure to Retire
Some want Stephen Breyer, 82, to clear way for younger liberal
- President Biden could have a Supreme Court seat to fill come summer. There is "immense urgency" among progressive Democrats for liberal Justice Stephen Breyer, who was nominated to the court by President Clinton in 1994, to retire after the court wraps up its current term around the end of...
Obama's Gift to McRaven After
Bin Laden Raid: Tape Measure
Apr 30, 2021 12:19 PM CDT
Obama's Gift to McRaven After Bin Laden Raid: Tape Measure
Ex-president, retired Navy admiral who led raid 10 years ago that killed al-Qaeda chief revisit mission
- This weekend marks the 10-year anniversary of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, and two key players at the center of it all sat down this week to talk about the mission. Monday's conversation between former President Obama and retired Navy Adm. William McRaven was recorded...
Lawmakers From Both
Parties Praise Guilty Verdict
Apr 20, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Lawmakers From Both Parties Praise Guilty Verdict
'Today, a jury did the right thing,' Obama says
- Lawmakers from both parties are expressing satisfaction with Tuesday’s guilty verdict of former police officer Derek Chauvin for murder and manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd, the AP reports. Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters says: “I’m not celebrating, I’m relieved." Sen. Tim Scott, the chamber’...
Board Votes Against Renaming
School to Honor Obama
Apr 14, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Board Votes Against Renaming School to Honor Obama
John Lewis' name will now replace that of Jefferson
- A middle school in Illinois is ditching the name of the third president—but it won't be taking the name of the 44th one. At a meeting Tuesday, the Waukegan Board of Education voted 5-2 in favor of renaming Thomas Jefferson Middle School after late civil rights icon Rep....
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave
'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Apr 7, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave 'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Comedian describes mischief during one of President Obama's last White House parties
- In 2019, then-White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed aides of former President Obama had left disparaging notes around the White House for members of former President Trump's administration to find. At Inauguration Day, "Every office was filled with Obama books, and we had notes left behind that...
His 'Mama Sarah'
Mar 29, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Obama Mourns His 'Mama Sarah'
Former president's stepgrandmother dies in Kenya
- Sarah Obama, the matriarch of former President Obama's Kenyan family, has died, per the AP . She was at least 99 years old. Mama Sarah, as the stepgrandmother of the former president was fondly called, promoted education for girls and orphans in her rural Kogelo village. She died at the...
Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama
Have a Message for You
Mar 11, 2021 8:43 AM CST
Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama Have a Message for You
All living presidents except Trump urge Americans to get vaccinated in new ads
- Former President Trump is noticeably absent from a new ad campaign in which the four other living presidents urge Americans to get a coronavirus vaccine when able. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and each of their wives are shown receiving a dose in a new 60-second...
It Will Say
on the Obama
Mar 8, 2021 3:15 AM CST
Here's What It Will Say on the Obama Presidential Center
Words from the 44th president's 2015 speech in Selma
- The Obama Foundation on Sunday revealed the passage that will be inscribed on the outside of the Obama Presidential Center when it opens in Chicago, ABC 7 reports. Per the Week , the words are from then-President Obama's 2015 speech in Selma, Ala., on the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday....
Obama Recounts That Time
He Broke a Friend's Nose
Feb 24, 2021 4:28 PM CST
Obama Recounts That Time He Broke a Friend's Nose
He also talks reparations on 'Renegades' podcast
- Barack Obama usually comes off as calm, cool, and collected. But that isn’t always the case. For example, as a boy in Hawaii he once punched a friend in the face over a racial slur. In the second episode of his podcast collaboration with musician Bruce Springsteen, the former...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.