Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest post-presidency news about President Barack Obama on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
National Archives Fact-Checks
Trump on Obama Documents
Aug 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Agency assures that it has all Obama records
- Former President Donald Trump ran into an obstacle to his what-about deflection posted on social media while the FBI looks over documents it removed from his home, but it didn't slow him down. "President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified,"...
Has Been Reading
Jul 27, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
What Obama Has Been Reading
Former president is out with his annual summer reading list
- Former President Obama wants Americans to explore why the country is so polarized at the moment and to consider ways in which a democracy can succeed at being both diverse and equal, according to his annual summer reading list. "I've read a couple of great books this year...
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His
Head in Famous Pic Reunite
May 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His Head in Famous Pic Reunite
Jacob Philadelphia, 5 when Pete Souza snapped photo, is now 18 and about to graduate high school
- Not every kid gets a video call from former President Barack Obama when they graduate high school. Jacob Philadelphia isn't just any kid, however. In 2009, Jacob, whose dad then served on the National Security Council, visited the White House as a 5-year-old and met up with Obama in...
Obamas Respond to
Roe v. Wade Opinion
May 4, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Obamas Respond to Roe v. Wade Opinion
They argue illegal abortions will risk health and lives
- The Supreme Court looks poised to "reverse nearly 50 years of precedent " and "relegate the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues," according to former President Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, who've issued a concerned statement...
Obama: Tech Firms
Humanity's Worst Impulses'
Apr 22, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Obama: Tech Firms Are 'Turbo-Charging Humanity's Worst Impulses'
He says changes need to be made to protect democracy
- Barack Obama acknowledged in a speech Thursday that he might never have become president without the efforts of volunteers who organized on "websites like MySpace, Meetup, and Facebook"—but he warned that tech companies are failing to address the darker side of social media. In a keynote speech...
Fiona Hill's Comments
Don't Sit Well With Trump
Apr 12, 2022 11:44 AM CDT
Fiona Hill's Comments Don't Sit Well With Trump
Former adviser accused him of 'pulling a Putin' on Jan. 6
- In an interview with the
New York Times Magazine
, Fiona Hill —a specialist on Russia and Vladimir Putin who advised presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Donald Trump—offered critiques of all three former leaders. For example, she remembers that she "winced" when Obama defied advice and publicly...
Obama Back in White House
for First Time in 5 Years
Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Obama Back in White House for First Time in 5 Years
Yes, he and Biden cracked some jokes
- It's an old haunt he hadn't graced in a while: Former President Barack Obama on Tuesday visited the White House in what CNN reports was his first time in the building in more than five years. Obama had last been there for coffee with then-President-elect Trump on the...
Mar 13, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Obama Says He's 'Feeling Fine' After Positive Test
Former president reports his only COVID symptom so far is 'a scratchy throat'
- Former President Barack Obama announced Sunday that he tested positive for COVID-19 but so far has just one symptom. "I've had a scratchy throat for a couple days," he tweeted , "but am feeling fine otherwise." The former president said he and his wife, Michelle, are...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
Nov 22, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
$100M donation from Amazon founder is largest Obama foundation has ever received
- Barack Obama’s foundation announced Monday that it has received a $100 million donation from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, which it says is the largest individual contribution it has received to date. The former president's foundation said in a statement that the gift from Bezos is intended "to...
Obama Concedes Doubts
About Climate Action Progress
Nov 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Obama Concedes Doubts About Climate Action Progress
'We can't afford hopelessness,' former president says as he pressures Russia, China
- Former President Barack Obama expressed confidence at UN climate talks Monday that the Biden administration will ultimately get its $555 billion climate package through Congress, and faulted China and Russia for what he called a "dangerous lack of urgency" in cutting their own climate-wrecking emissions. As nations complained of...
Obama Comes Out Swinging
In Race for Virginia Gov
Oct 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Obama Comes Out Swinging In Race for Virginia Gov
Terry McAuliffe wants to be governor again
- Former President Barack Obama offered a sharp rebuke of the Republican candidate for Virginia governor, Glenn Youngkin, as he encouraged voters on Saturday to support Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the closely watched race. Obama accused Youngkin of portraying himself as a friendly everyman while encouraging what Obama called “lies...
After 5 Years, Obamas
Break Ground on
Sep 28, 2021 6:13 PM CDT
After 5 Years, Obamas Break Ground on Presidential Center
Former president say it's his way of giving back to Chicago's South Side
- After five years of legal battles, gentrification concerns, and a federal review, Barack and Michelle Obama dug shovels into the ground Tuesday during a celebratory groundbreaking on their legacy project in a lakefront Chicago park. Construction on the Obama Presidential Center along Lake Michigan, near the Obama family home and...
Three Presidents to Mark
Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
Sep 4, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Three Presidents to Mark Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
Biden will go to each site, while Obama and Bush also plan to take part in commemorations
- President Biden will visit all three 9/11 memorial sites to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks and pay his respects to the nearly 3,000 people killed that day. Biden will visit Ground Zero in New York City, the Pentagon, and the memorial outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where...
Group Asks SCOTUS to Halt
Obama Library Construction
Aug 18, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Group Asks SCOTUS to Halt Obama Library Construction
They say it will wreck Chicago's Jackson Park
- Work on Barack Obama's presidential library finally began this week—but the project's opponents want the Supreme Court to order an immediate halt. The Protect Our Parks group has filed an emergency request with Justice Amy Coney Barrett, arguing that the project will do irreparable harm to Jackson...
Aug 4, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
Obama's Mega Birthday Bash Dashed by Delta
Ex-president to 'scale back' Mass. event with hundreds of invitees due to variant spread
- Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, and George Clooney were supposed to come. Pearl Jam was set to entertain the guests. Now, Barack Obama, who turns 60 on Wednesday, will have to settle instead for celebrating his milestone birthday with Michelle and a much smaller crowd. A huge outdoor bash for the...
Aug 2, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Obama Guests: Spielberg, Pearl Jam, a 'COVID Coordinator'
President hosting birthday bash on Martha's Vineyard amid delta surge
- Barack Obama is turning 60 on Wednesday, and he plans to celebrate with a bash on his 30-acre property this weekend on Martha's Vineyard, reports Axios . The site says nearly 500 guests are expected, in addition to about 200 staff to serve them, a total that's raising eyebrows...
Podcast By a Couple
of Bosses Becomes a Book
Jul 22, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
Podcast By a Couple of Bosses Becomes a Book
Print version of 'Renegades,' from Obama and Springsteen, will have a few additions
- There's a new chapter in the collaboration of Barack and the Boss.
Renegades: Born in the USA
is a bound edition of the popular
podcast featuring conversations between former President Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen on topics such as fame, cars—and the country itself. Penguin Random House...
'They Were Killing
All the Black People'
May 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Tulsa Witness: 'They Were Killing All the Black People'
City marks centennial of attack whose destruction is still felt today
- For decades, many Americans knew little of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. Events and news media coverage marking the centennial this weekend are trying to change that, partly by assessing the lasting pain and depth of the horrific attack on the city's Black people—including an examination of how...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Everybody's Talking About 'Quiet Quitting'
Captain at Kobe Bryant Crash Leaves Stand 3 Times
She Was Gardening Before She Was Killed by an Alligator
Actor Pearlman's Cause of Death Revealed
Rand Paul Brings New Attention to Espionage Act
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.