Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
No, the Pentagon Didn't
Blow Up Monday
May 23, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
No, the Pentagon Didn't Blow Up Monday
But eerily realistic fake explosion pic, perhaps created by AI, circulated online, shook up stocks
- Most of the tweets on the OSINTdefender Twitter account , which bills itself as an "open source intelligence monitor," have focused lately on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A post on Monday morning, however, set off alarms closer to home, after a phony image circulated on social media depicting...
Looks Like We Have
Our First ChatGPT Arrest
May 10, 2023 1:12 PM CDT
Looks Like We Have Our First ChatGPT Arrest
China does not have much patience for man's fake train wreck story
- Mere mortals have done no shortage of tongue-wagging and fretting over ChatGPT: The "godfather" of AI is done with it , Elon Musk is going to reinvent it , and now China has apparently given us our first arrest over it. As Quartz reports, China arrested a man in Gansu province,...
Someone Tried to
VP. Many Don't
Sep 16, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
Someone Tried to Kill Argentina's VP. Many Don't Believe It
Conspiracy theories abound amid probe into assassination attempt on Cristina Fernandez
- At least three people have been arrested over the assassination attempt against Argentina Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner earlier this month, and the investigation is ongoing, but some now think that probe may be a wild goose chase of sorts. As the
New York Times
frames it: "A...
80 Fact-Checking Groups:
YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Jan 12, 2022 11:20 AM CST
80 Fact-Checking Groups: YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Platform is a 'major conduit' of disinformation, say groups in more than 60 countries
- YouTube isn't doing enough to tackle fake news on its platform, according to a letter signed by more than 80 fact-checking groups in more than 60 countries. The groups, including the
Fact Checker and UK's Full Fact, say disinformation and misinformation fly under the radar of...
Putin Signs Law Against
Insulting Him Online
Mar 19, 2019 1:29 AM CDT
Putin Signs Law Against Insulting Him Online
Bills introduce punishments for 'fake news'
- Vladimir Putin has signed bills banning what the state calls "fake news," although the Russian president's critics see the legislation as a thinly disguised crackdown on real news—and criticism of the authorities. The new laws introduce punishments for anybody who "exhibits blatant disrespect for the...
as 'Digital Gangster'
Feb 18, 2019 12:11 AM CST
British Lawmakers Slam Facebook as 'Digital Gangster'
Site accused of knowingly breaking laws
- British lawmakers issued a scathing report Monday that accused Facebook of intentionally violating privacy and anti-competition laws in the UK and called for greater oversight of social media companies. The report on fake news and disinformation on social media sites followed an 18-month investigation. The parliamentary committee that prepared the...
Tired of Own 'Fake News,'
Netanyahu Takes Action
Feb 3, 2019 10:33 AM CST
Tired of Own 'Fake News,' Netanyahu Takes Action
With a weekly webcast that will 'only cover the reality, and I will ... ensure that it will be positive'
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is launching a new weekly webcast to "get rid of the fake from the news" ahead of national elections in April. In a video shared on social media Saturday, Netanyahu said the webcast will "only cover the reality, and I will continue to...
Facebook Hits Fake News
Linked to Russia, Sputnik
Jan 17, 2019 8:40 AM CST
Facebook Hits Fake News Linked to Russia, Sputnik
Site shutters hundreds of accounts engaged in 'coordinated inauthentic behavior'
- Facebook says it has removed hundreds of Russia-linked pages, groups, and accounts that were part of two big disinformation operations, in its latest effort to fight fake news. The social media company said Thursday it took action after finding two networks "that engaged in coordinated inauthentic behavior" on its...
for Spread of Fake
News on Facebook
Jan 10, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Seniors Cited for Spread of Fake News on Facebook
Users 65 and older share more fake articles than any other group: study
- The worst spreaders of fake news across Facebook aren't the young'uns you'd expect to be glued to social media. Facebook users older than 65 share the most—almost seven times as many bogus articles as those ages 18 to 29, according to research by NYU and Princeton....
US Ambassador Blames Bias
for German News Scandal
Dec 24, 2018 1:53 AM CST
US Ambassador Blames Bias for German News Scandal
Disgraced reporter Claas Relotius could face charges
- The American ambassador to Germany is blaming anti-American bias for a "fake news" scandal that has shaken the country's leading news magazine. In a letter to
, Richard Grenell accused the magazine, and the media in general, of "institutional bias" when reporting on the US, the...
'We're on Our Own'
Dec 19, 2018 4:50 PM CST
Bombarded by Disinformation, 'We're on Our Own'
Kara Swisher writes for the 'NYT' that tech companies haven't been terribly helpful in fighting bad actors
- What's "dead clear": Propaganda pushers have been using platforms like Google, Facebook, and Twitter "exactly as they were designed to be used." What we're just now learning: that those companies were more or less useless on the front lines against disinformation and "fake news,...
Oct 4, 2018 8:11 AM CDT
'Surreal' Drew Barrymore Article Catches Internet's Eye
Journalist spotted bizarre, typo-ridden 'interview' on the actress in an EgyptAir in-flight magazine
- Journalist Adam Baron was on an EgyptAir flight earlier this week when his reading material caught his eye—and raised his eyebrows. "This interview with Drew Barrymore in the Egypt Air in flight magazine is, umm, surreal," he tweeted . That supposed
interview, which Baron posted photos of...
Tiger Woods Is
Asked About Trump,
Trump Loves His Reply
Aug 27, 2018 9:51 AM CDT
Tiger Woods Is Asked About Trump, Trump Loves His Reply
Tiger didn't take the bait from the 'fake news media,' he tweets
- President Trump thinks Tiger Woods' interviewing skills are as good as his golf ones, or so he suggested in a Monday tweet . After finishing up the Northern Trust tourney Sunday, the golfer was asked by the press about his relationship with Trump, whom he has golfed with on several occasions....
Aug 11, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Plans Strike on Trump's 'Dirty War'
'We are not the enemy of the people,' editor says of nationwide media blitz proposed for Aug. 16
- A Boston newspaper is proposing a coordinated editorial response from publications across the US to President Trump's frequent attacks on the news media. "We are not the enemy of the people," says Marjorie Pritchard, deputy managing editor for the editorial page of the
, referring to...
and I Met, Talked 'Fake News'
Jul 29, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Publisher and I Met, Talked 'Fake News'
Says he and Sulzberger sat down at White House and discussed 'Enemy of the People'
- President Trump has met with the head of one of his favorite whipping boys, per one of a flurry of tweets early Sunday: "Had a very good and interesting meeting at the White House with A.G. Sulzberger, Publisher of the New York Times. Spent much time talking about...
Describes Air Force One
Commotion Over a TV Channel
Jul 25, 2018 7:37 AM CDT
Describes Air Force One Commotion Over a TV Channel
CNN is not the president's network of choice
- President Trump's displeasure with "fake news" CNN is well known, and the
New York Times
is out with an anecdote to back that up. It viewed an internal email between the White House Military Office and the White House Communications Agency regarding a recent incident on Air Force...
With Trump Tweet
May 9, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
Matt Drudge Takes Issue With Trump Tweet
Founder of conservative news site fears Trump wants to license all reporters
- Matt Drudge is taking issue with President Trump. Trump tweeted Wednesday morning complaining about the media, citing a recent report that "91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake)" and wondering whether his administration should continue working with the "corrupt" press: "Take away credentials?" he...
One Country Just
Banned 'Fake News'
Apr 2, 2018 12:25 PM CDT
One Country Just Banned 'Fake News'
But critics say Malaysia is really just muzzling media, putting lid on scandal ahead of elections
- Malaysia passed a new law Monday prohibiting "fake news," a move critics fear will be used to silence dissent ahead of elections, reports the AP . Despite criticism from opposition lawmakers that the legislation will lead Malaysia closer to dictatorship, the bill was approved after heated debate, with 123...
'I Am Ashamed,'
Read the Email.
Feb 13, 2018 10:05 AM CST
'I Am Ashamed,' Read the Email. Then Facebook's Problems Grew
An 11K-word 'Wired' piece delves into Facebook's 'tumultuous two years'
- "I am disappointed. I am embarrassed. I am ashamed." So read an email Roger McNamee sent to Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg just days before the 2016 election. McNamee is the Zuckerberg mentor who convinced the Facebook CEO to hire Sandberg in the first place, and as an...
Trump Reveals Winners
of 'Fake News Awards'
Jan 18, 2018 6:03 AM CST
Trump Reveals Winners of 'Fake News Awards'
4 CNN stories made list of 10
- Stephen Colbert and other late-night hosts experienced real disappointment Wednesday night when President Trump revealed the winners of his inaugural Fake News Awards: The "honors" went to the
New York Times
, CNN, ABC, the
. In a list of 10 winners posted on the GOP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.