Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
JPMorgan Pays $75M Over Ties to Jeffrey Epstein
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Apple Watch
Sep 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Rescuers Pull Woman Hunting Her Apple Watch From Outhouse
There's a lesson in her story, Michigan state police say
- A woman was rescued Tuesday from an outhouse toilet in northern Michigan after she climbed in to retrieve her Apple Watch and became trapped. The woman, whose name was not released, lowered herself inside the toilet after dropping the watch at the Department of Natural Resources boat launch at Dixon...
Teen Rescued From
California's Tallest Bridge
Sep 20, 2023 3:57 PM CDT
Teen Rescued From California's Tallest Bridge
He was cited for trespassing after he was rescued from rope 700 feet above river
- Rescuers say a 19-year-old was "pretty shaken up" when he was brought to safety from California's tallest bridge, and it's easy to see why. The teen was stuck for more than an hour dangling from a rope around 700 feet above the North Fork of the American...
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
Boy Saves Drowning Man
With CPR Learned 'on TV'
Sep 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Boy Saves Drowning Man With CPR Learned 'on TV'
12-year-old Austen MacMillan of Florida credited with saving the life of his behavioral therapist
- Twelve-year-old Austen MacMillan was swimming with his behavioral therapist in a backyard pool when the therapist decided to see how long he could hold his breath underwater. He didn't come back up. "It was like [five to six] minutes he was under the water and I was like,...
US Caver Is Safe
Sep 12, 2023 1:22 AM CDT
After Trickiest of Rescues, US Caver Is Safe
Mark Dickey is back above ground after getting sick in Turkey cave
- After what organizers say was one of the biggest and most complicated underground rescues of all time, US cave explorer Mark Dickey was brought back to the surface safely early Tuesday local time. Dickey, 40, fell ill while mapping unknown pathways in a cavern in Turkey more than a week...
They Had Sailed the World for
2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
They Had Sailed the World for 2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
3 sailors rescued from their sinking catamaran
- It was an around-the-world trip that almost ended in death, possibly by drowning or at the hands of sharks. But "an emergency beacon absolutely saved their lives" says a manager at the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) of three men who were rescued Wednesday from their shark-battered inflatable catamaran....
Disaster Strikes for
US Cave Explorer
Sep 7, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Disaster Strikes for US Cave Explorer
150 people work to free scientist Mark Dickey, who fell ill deep inside Turkey's Morca Cave
- Crews are desperately working to save an American cave explorer stuck some 4,000 feet underground in Turkey's third-deepest cavern. Mark Dickey, 40, a cave scientist and rescuer himself, was part of a team of 15 explorers who ventured into the Morca Cave in the remote Taurus mountain belt...
Man Stuck on
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2023 10:19 AM CDT
Man Stuck on Uninhabited Island Is Rescued
He told the US Coast Guard he was stranded on Cay Sal for 3 days
- It's the stuff of movies, complete with a happy ending. A man who spent three days stranded on an uninhabited island in the Bahamas was rescued by the US Coast Guard on Friday. Coast Guard Sector Key West watchstanders credited the stranded sailor for having "the proper safety...
All 8 Rescued From
Dangling Cable Car
Aug 22, 2023 1:59 PM CDT
All 8 Rescued From Dangling Cable Car
'Everyone was praying for this moment'
- Six children and two adults have been rescued safely from a cable car that was dangling over a rive canyon in a remote area of Pakistan for more than 12 hours. Authorities say military commandos assisted by civilians used helicopters and a makeshift chairlift to rescue the group from more...
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
Dog Rescues Woman
Two Days After Crash
Aug 11, 2023 2:48 PM CDT
Dog Rescues Woman Two Days After Crash
Police canine leads handler to woman in cornfield who was seriously injured in car accident
- A woman who was missing after being seriously injured in a car crash was discovered two days later by a police dog in a dense cornfield in southeastern Michigan, authorities said. "We knew she didn't have much longer in order to live," said state Trooper Jeff Schrieber,...
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Jul 26, 2023 12:44 PM CDT
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Woman and her bird got stranded on Welsh mountain
- The good news is that the woman was reunited with her pet parrot. The bad news is that in going in search of her lost bird, she ended up stranded on a Welsh mountain and in need of a rescue herself. The unidentified woman had set out with a group...
at Sea Tells
Jul 23, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Sailor Stranded at Sea Tells His Tale
Tim Shaddock, adrift for months, relied on his dog, journaling, and meditation
- He quit his corporate job and moved to Mexico to pursue his dream of sailing solo across the ocean. Australian Timothy Shaddock, 54, bought his 30-foot catamaran two years ago in the Mexican Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta. He needed a place to live and he liked the isolation. "...
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive
2 Months Adrift at Sea
Jul 17, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive 2 Months Adrift at Sea
Tim Haddock, 51, and Bella consumed rainwater and raw fish
- A 51-year-old Australian sailor kept himself and his dog alive for two months while adrift in the Pacific Ocean, reports 9News . Tim Shaddock and Bella set off from Mexico for French Polynesia three months ago, but a storm one month into the trip damaged the boat and wiped out its...
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is
Swept a Mile Through Sewers
Jul 8, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is Swept a Mile Through Sewers
'Amazing' that he lived through it, city official says after rescue in Omaha, Nebraska
- Firefighters rescued two Nebraska men who fell into a manhole during heavy rain in downtown Omaha on Friday, including one who was washed about a mile through sewer pipes before getting trapped behind a metal grate, per the AP . The men, who were workers for a private contractor, Ace Pipe...
Hikers Hear Cries for Help,
Find Missing Woman in Swamp
Jul 4, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
Hikers Hear Cries for Help, Find Missing Woman in Swamp
Emma Tetewsky rescued after at least 3 days trapped in muck in Massachusetts state park
- The search for a Massachusetts woman missing for a week has a happy ending after she was discovered alive, trapped in a swamp for what officials say may have been at least three days. Per a release , Emma Tetewsky, 31, was found Monday evening after hikers in Borderland State Park...
Into Car Trapped
Then, a Drone
Jun 28, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Water Poured Into Car Trapped in Sinkhole. Then, a Drone
'Maybe 30 minutes later, they could have been dead,' Colorado teen says of his well-timed rescue
- When Josh Logue started flying drones as a hobby, he had no idea it would result in him saving lives. That's what happened Saturday morning as the 18-year-old Colorado man sent up a drone to explore the Denver suburb of Brighton after heavy rainfall transformed a dry canal into...
Dad of 13 Dies After
Saving Daughter in Rapids
Jun 20, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Dad of 13 Dies After Saving Daughter in Rapids
Kansas neurologist Dustin Harker died of brain injury after reaching Arkansas River shore
- A father of 13 who was thrown from a raft that overturned on the Arkansas River managed to save his daughter, who was pinned beneath the raft, before dying of his own injuries. Dustin Harker, a neurologist from Kansas, had ventured to the Sunshine Falls area of Colorado's Royal...
Crash Survivor, 18, Saved
in White-Knuckle Rescue
Jun 14, 2023 12:07 PM CDT
Crash Survivor, 18, Saved in White-Knuckle Rescue
Helicopter crew members pull woman from rocks below Pacific Coast Highway after crash
- Late last year, California's Ventura County acquired a new state-of-the-art helicopter to be used in search and rescue operations by the county's Aviation Unit. As a heart-stopping video that emerged last week shows, that chopper is already paying off big time. The footage originally released on the division'...
Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Jun 2, 2023 1:02 PM CDT
Fellow Passengers Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett, both nurses, save a man with no pulse aboard plane
- After a four-day cruise in the Bahamas, Baltimore couple Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett were eager to get home. So eager, in fact, that they twice tried to switch to an earlier flight out of Fort Lauderdale, where their cruise ship docked around 9am on May 1. Ultimately, they stuck...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.