Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 23, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Remote-Control Ball Makes for Weird PGA Moment
Annoyed Rory McIlroy chucks fan's toy into a pond, to cheers
- A bizarre incident on the PGA Tour over the weekend is still percolating in headlines. For those who missed it, the strangeness involved four-time major winner Rory McIlroy and a remote-control ball, reports
. As McIlroy was on the 15th green of the BMW Championship in Delaware, a fan managed...
Every Shot Was
Aug 21, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Every Shot Was 'Beautiful,' but Tom Weiskopf Had Regrets
Golfer succeeded at designing courses and broadcasting, as well
- Tom Weiskopf's golf skill went far beyond his 16 victories on the PGA Tour and his lone major at Royal Troon in the British Open. He was always candid, often outspoken, and unfailingly accurate in the television booth. He found even greater success designing golf courses. Weiskopf died Saturday...
Here's How Much
LIV Golf Offered
Aug 2, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Here's How Much LIV Golf Offered Tiger Woods
Between $700M and $800M, CEO Greg Norman confirms
- The new Saudi-funded golf league
wants Tiger Woods. So badly, in fact, that it offered around $800 million to the most famous name in golf. Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked LIV Golf series CEO Greg Norman to confirm the reported $700 million to $800 million figure offered to...
NTSB: Adult Was Driving
Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Jul 14, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
NTSB: Adult Was Driving Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Agency had reported the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel in fatal collision
: A 38-year-old man was driving a pickup truck that collided with a van carrying college golf teams in Texas in March, the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday. The agency earlier had said the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel, but DNA tests showed that wasn't...
Report: Feds Now
Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Jul 11, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Report: Feds Now Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Accusations of anticompetitive behavior by PGA Tour are being investigated
- The Justice Department is now involved in the feud between the PGA Tour and its new, Saudi-backed rival. PGA Tour insiders tell the
Wall Street Journal
that the department is investigating alleged anticompetitive behavior by the tour against LIV Golf and has been speaking to players' agents about PGA bylaws...
St. Andrews Events
Leave Greg Norman Out
Jul 10, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
St. Andrews Events Leave Greg Norman Out
Head of new LIV Golf calls decision to disinvite him 'petty'
- The British Open begins celebrating its 150th anniversary Monday, with past champions playing four holes at St. Andrews to commemorate the first tournament. Tiger Woods will be there,
reports, as will Lee Trevino, who won the 1971 and '72 events. That group would seem to include Greg...
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep
Empathy' for 9/11 Families
Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep Empathy' for 9/11 Families
But veteran golfer will still play in LIV Golf pro league funded by Saudi Arabia
- Phil Mickelson has the "deepest sympathy" for the families of those killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks—but he'll continue to play in the professional golf league lavishly funded by the Saudi Arabian government 's Public Investment Fund. The golfer was among several pros called out by...
9/11 Families Express
Outrage at US Players
in Saudi League
Jun 11, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
9/11 Families Express Outrage at US Players in Saudi League
LIV's first tournament title pays $4M to Charl Schwartzel
- The new golf league backed by Saudi Arabia crowned its first champion Saturday in the richest tournament in the sport's history, even as outrage about Americans' participation deepened. The organization that represents families and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks objected to the US players signing up for the...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
Lydia Ko's Honesty Leaves
May 3, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Lydia Ko's Honesty Leaves Reporter Speechless
She was praised for speaking openly on a topic many would rather avoid
- Golf pro Lydia Ko had a pretty good day at the Palos Verdes Championship, finishing one-under 70 for third place. Midway through the final round, however, she was seen receiving treatment from her physical therapist. In a follow-up interview, Golf Channel reporter Jerry Foltz asked whether there was any cause...
At Masters, Scheffler Does
What Only One Man Has Done
Apr 10, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
At Masters, Scheffler Does What Only One Man Has Done
He joins Ian Woosnam as only players to win a major in their debut at No. 1 in the world
- That new No. 1 ranking for Scottie Scheffler looks even better in a Masters green jacket. Two months after Scheffler finally broke through for his first PGA Tour victory, he capped off a most incredible 56-day stretch by making his fourth win the biggest of them all—the Masters by...
Apr 7, 2022 5:41 PM CDT
Woods Plays Again at Augusta
Star posts 71 in return to Masters
- Tiger Woods had some good moments, some unlucky outcomes and a couple of blunders Thursday in his opening round of the Masters. Given what he's gone through over the last past year or so, he surely wasn’t going to complain. His day at Georgia's Augusta National was...
Golf's New No. 1 Has
Snuck Up on Everyone
Mar 29, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Golf's New No. 1 Has Snuck Up on Everyone
Scottie Scheffler was ranked No. 824 just 2 years ago
- There's a new No. 1 in the world of golf this week, but don't be surprised if you haven't heard the name Scottie Scheffler before. The 25-year-old has caught much of the golfing world by surprise as well. Reuters points out the astonishing stat that Scheffler has...
Cynics Scoff at
Mar 29, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Trump Issues Statement After Cynics Scoff at His Hole-in-One
'I won't tell you who won because I am a very modest individual ... I don't like people who brag!'
- If you've been wondering how former President Trump's golf game has been going since he left the White House, don't fret—he's apparently doing just fine, according to his own most recent report from the green. On Saturday, Tim Swain, a Republican running for a seat...
Mar 18, 2022 2:22 PM CDT
Video Captures Golfer's Wild Round
Charl Schwartzel hurls a club in frustration, later launches a memorable shot
- Birdie, birdie, triple-bogey, par, bogey, eagle. That as, Golfweek notes, was the result of a particularly interesting six-hole stretch for golfer Charl Schwartzel Thursday at the Valspar Championship in Florida. But only the video can truly convey things. It shows a frustrated Schwartzel throwing his club after a lousy drive...
All Over Died
Mar 17, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Students From All Over Died Together Pursuing Their Passion
University of the Southwest community, family remember golfers, coach after devastating accident
- Laci Stone had a special request for her mom. The 18-year-old wanted to get tiny matching heart tattoos before leaving her Texas hometown and returning to New Mexico to finish out her freshman year at the University of the Southwest. She begged her mother, and now Chelsi Stone is glad...
After Barely Playing,
Tiger Woods Wins
$8M Golf Prize
Mar 3, 2022 10:45 AM CST
After Barely Playing, Tiger Woods Wins $8M Golf Prize
He's the first winner of the Player Impact Program
- Last year wasn't exactly a banner year for Tiger Woods' golfing career—he spent much of 2021 learning to walk again after a February rollover crash mangled his right leg so badly that doctors considered amputation. His only tournament of the year was the PNC Championship exhibition father/son challenge...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Nov 29, 2021 12:35 PM CST
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Lee Elder was the first Black golfer to play Masters
- Lee Elder, who broke down racial barriers as the first Black golfer to play in the Masters and paved the way for Tiger Woods and others to follow, has died at the age of 87. The PGA Tour announced Elder’s death, which was first reported Monday by Debert Cook...
'Medical Incident' on Course
Sep 24, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Star Suffers 'Medical Incident' on Course
Tom Felton taken to hospital after collapsing during celebrity golf match
- Actor and musician Tom Felton was taken to a Wisconsin hospital Thursday after he collapsed during a celebrity match ahead of the 43rd Ryder Cup. The Brit, who played Draco Malfoy in the
films, "experienced a medical incident on the course" while representing Team Europe, the PGA...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.