Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With Dad as Caddy,
Charlie Woods Scores Big Win
Sep 26, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
With Dad as Caddy, Charlie Woods Scores Big Win
Tiger Woods' 14-year-old son won age group at Florida tournament
- The best American golfer of his generation caddied for a member of a new generation at a junior golf tournament Sunday. Charlie Woods, the 14-year-old son of Tiger Woods, won his age group's regional qualifier with a career-best final round of 66 at the Notah Begay III Junior Golf...
Former US Open
Sep 19, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Former US Open Champ Undergoes Brain Surgery
Gary Woodland 'on the road to recovery' after procedure to remove tumor
- Less than three weeks after announcing he'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor, US golfer Gary Woodland underwent surgery to remove it Monday. "After a long surgery the majority of the tumor has been removed," read a statement shared on the 39-year-old golfer's social media accounts,...
Golfer: Fan Tried to Disrupt
My Shot Over a Live Bet
Aug 20, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Golfer: Fan Tried to Disrupt My Shot Over a Live Bet
Max Homa made his putt, but he's worried about the potential for more disruptions
- Max Homa experienced the potential for disruption with betting at PGA Tour events when he said a fan yelled in the middle of his 5-foot birdie putt Saturday in the BMW Championship, per the AP . Homa already was struggling with short putts on a windy day at Olympia Fields, having...
This Is What You Don't
Want on the Golf Course
Aug 10, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
This Is What You Don't Want on the Golf Course
Canadian golfer suffers an ursine-related theft caught on video
- Sometimes a guy just wants to play a relaxing round of golf with his buddies. And sometimes a bear just wants to get his mitts on some of said guy's golf clubs. The two worlds collided in what
somewhat dramatically calls the "wildest, scariest horror film...
Golfing Great Loses Round
in Name, Likeness Battle
Aug 9, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Golfing Great Loses Round in Name, Likeness Battle
Jack Nicklaus is up against a former business partner in court
- A golfing great has lost an attempt to win back control of his name and likeness from a former business partner. A federal judge in Florida tossed part of Jack Nicklaus' intellectual property case against a company that bought the rights to his name, image, and likeness,
Golf Pro: Yep,
I Cheated at
Jul 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Golf Pro: Yep, I Cheated at PGA Tour Event
Justin Doeden admits he changed his scorecard at Commissionaires Ottawa Open
- At a PGA Tour Canada developmental event last week, questions came out about a player's score. And on Monday, tour pro Justin Doeden admitted he changed his scorecard after it was signed at the Commissionaires Ottawa Open, Golf Digest and Golf.com report. The issue was first brought to...
Golfer Will Play
US Women's Open
30 Weeks Pregnant
Jul 3, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Golfer Will Play US Women's Open 30 Weeks Pregnant
It will be Amy Olson's last golf tournament before giving birth
- LPGA golfer Amy Olson will play in the US Women's Open this weekend while seven months pregnant—and it's not even her first time playing in a women's golf major while pregnant. She qualified for the US Women's Open during an event in Minnesota in May...
Jun 25, 2023 9:36 AM CDT
Real-Life Happy Gilmore Hears From Adam Sandler
Young golfer in Indiana goes by that name, will play in college
- For the record, his given name is Landon Gilmore. But the teenage Indiana golfer has been going by "Happy Gilmore" since he was a little kid because he can hit the ball like the fictional player of that name in Adam Sandler's 1996 movie , per the
It's an Odd Hole in One
of Sorts at the US Open
Jun 18, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
It's an Odd Hole in One of Sorts at the US Open
Cameron Young's tee shot ends up on golf-ball holder of a golf cart
- It's anyone's guess who might end up winning the US Open Sunday, but it's a safe bet that Cameron Young will earn weirdest-shot honors. On Saturday, the American's tee shot from the 10th hole took a weird bounce and landed in a golf cart— in a...
An Incredible Putt,
Then an Incredible Tackle
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 17, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
An Incredible Putt, Then an Incredible Tackle
Pro golfer Adam Hadwin is leveled by security guard who didn't recognize him at Canadian Open
- Pro golfer Adam Hadwin had good reason to celebrate—his friend and fellow Canadian, Nick Taylor, had just won the Canadian Open with an astonishing 72-foot eagle putt . But when Hadwin began spraying Taylor with champagne on the 18th hole Sunday, a security guard leveled him with a tackle more...
Report: Golfers Who Rejected
Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Jun 15, 2023 11:14 AM CDT
Report: Golfers Who Rejected Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Sources say PGA loyalists will get payments to 'level up' with those who joined breakaway league
- The bitter split dubbed "golf's civil war" ended last week with a surprise merger between Saudi Arabia's LIV Golf venture and the PGA Tour and European Tour—and insiders say the peace deal will include some Saudi money for PGA loyalists who turned down enticements to join...
PGA Chief's About-Face
Came in Secret Meeting
Jun 7, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
PGA Chief's About-Face Came in Secret Meeting
Jay Monahan once reviled the Saudi LIV tour, but he then agreed to a stunning merger
- A lot of words are being thrown around to describe what happened in the world of golf on Tuesday: Shocking, stunning, hypocritical (from the critics), to name a few. One thing clear, though, is that "Tuesday was unlike any other [day] in golf history," writes Brendan Quinn at...
'Stunning' Merger Pairs
PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Jun 6, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
'Stunning' Merger Pairs PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Agreement appears to end an acrimonious year in world of pro golf
- The most disruptive year in golf ended Tuesday when the PGA Tour and European Tour agreed to a merger with Saudi Arabia's golf interests, creating a commercial operation designed to unify professional golf around the world, per the AP . As part of the deal, the sides are dropping all...
An Unknown Club Pro
Is Golf's New Darling
May 22, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
An Unknown Club Pro Is Golf's New Darling
Michael Block's hole-in-one at PGA Championship is only part of the reason why
- Yes, Brooks Koepka won the PGA Championship on Sunday for his fifth major title, reports ESPN . But a club pro by the name of Michael Block may have stolen the show. The 46-year-old makes his living not on the pro tour but by giving lessons for $125 apiece back home...
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding
Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
Apr 8, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
3 giant pines fall during Masters at Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club; there were no injuries
- It was "Masters mayhem" on Friday, per the
, after three giant trees toppled over onto the course during the pro golf championship at Augusta National Golf Club. CBS Sports reports that the Georgia pines fell near the 17th hole during the second round of play, right before the...
Tiger Woods' Prank
Doesn't Land With Everyone
Feb 17, 2023 11:46 AM CST
Tiger Woods' Prank Doesn't Land With Everyone
He outdrove Justin Thomas, then handed him a tampon
- Tiger Woods was back to form Thursday at the Genesis Invitational at Los Angeles' Riviera Country Club—his first golf tournament since missing the cut at the Open Championship last July—and back to his trash-talking ways. After Woods outdrove his playing partner Justin Thomas on the ninth hole, cameras...
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters
Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Dec 21, 2022 10:40 AM CST
9/11 Families: 2023 Masters Will Be a 'Slap in the Face'
Tournament to welcome golfers from Saudi-backed LIV league
- Families of victims and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks are planning to protest at the Masters this spring in response to Augusta National Golf Club's decision to allow golfers from the Saudi-backed LIV league to participate. Augusta National Chairman Fred Ridley announced Tuesday that qualified golfers from both...
Aug 23, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Remote-Control Ball Makes for Weird PGA Moment
Annoyed Rory McIlroy chucks fan's toy into a pond, to cheers
- A bizarre incident on the PGA Tour over the weekend is still percolating in headlines. For those who missed it, the strangeness involved four-time major winner Rory McIlroy and a remote-control ball, reports
. As McIlroy was on the 15th green of the BMW Championship in Delaware, a fan managed...
Every Shot Was
Aug 21, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Every Shot Was 'Beautiful,' but Tom Weiskopf Had Regrets
Golfer succeeded at designing courses and broadcasting, as well
- Tom Weiskopf's golf skill went far beyond his 16 victories on the PGA Tour and his lone major at Royal Troon in the British Open. He was always candid, often outspoken, and unfailingly accurate in the television booth. He found even greater success designing golf courses. Weiskopf died Saturday...
Here's How Much
LIV Golf Offered
Aug 2, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Here's How Much LIV Golf Offered Tiger Woods
Between $700M and $800M, CEO Greg Norman confirms
- The new Saudi-funded golf league
wants Tiger Woods. So badly, in fact, that it offered around $800 million to the most famous name in golf. Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked LIV Golf series CEO Greg Norman to confirm the reported $700 million to $800 million figure offered to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.