Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Chatbot Wows Users,
but There Are Concerns
Dec 6, 2022 1:45 PM CST
This Chatbot Wows Users, but There Are Concerns
1 million users have signed up with OpenAI's ChatGPT since Wednesday
- Need to write a history essay? Or need instructions on how to remove a peanut butter sandwich from a VCR written in the style of the King James Bible? It's now made easy thanks to OpenAI's ChatGPT , an AI-powered chatbot that's taking the internet by storm. It'...
New Hire Talks,
and Works for Free
Mar 4, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Restaurant's New Hire Talks, Plays Music, and Works for Free
Faced with worker shortage, Tin Lizzie's in Deadwood, SD, recruited a robot server
- At the Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort in Deadwood, SD, a labor shortage left management scrambling to figure out a way to alleviate current workers' stresses. "We thought outside the box," Assistant General Manager Josh Thurmes tells Local 12 in introducing the casino eatery's newest staffer: a robot...
Is Mark Zuckerberg a Robot?
Traffic Lights Reveal the Truth
Mar 3, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Is Mark Zuckerberg a Robot? Traffic Lights Reveal the Truth
Podcaster asks Zuckerberg to prove he's not 'Zuckerborg'
- Mark Zuckerberg has long known that he comes across as, well ... not quite human, acknowledging in a 2019 interview that "historically, I've had a very hard time expressing myself. ... I just come across as robotic." One computer scientist and AI researcher recently decided to carry out a...
White House: We Need
an AI Bill of Rights
Oct 8, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
White House: We Need an AI Bill of Rights
Biden administration seeks plan to protect from faulty, harmful uses
- Top science advisers to President Biden are calling for a new “bill of rights" to guard against powerful new artificial intelligence technology. The White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy on Friday launched a fact-finding mission to look at facial recognition and other biometric tools used to...
Here's Your New
Apr 13, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Here's Your New Pizza-Delivery Robot
Domino's is testing service in a single neighborhood in Houston
- Robot pizza delivery is here, at least for a limited few. Domino's Pizza is testing a service that allows customers in Houston's Woodland Heights neighborhood to have their pizza delivered by autonomous vehicles created by robotics company Nuro. These were the first completely autonomous vehicles approved by the...
Nov 2, 2020 7:25 PM CST
Robots Won't Track Inventory at Walmart
Machines were cruising the aisles of about 500 stores
- Robots may still replace us, but not today, and not in the aisles of Walmart. One lesson the company has learned during the pandemic is that while robots can keep track of store inventory, human employees are pretty good at it, too. Workers are in the aisles more often now...
Got a 'Kind and Friendly Face'?
It Could Make You $127K
Oct 16, 2019 1:44 PM CDT
Got a 'Kind and Friendly Face'? It Could Make You $127K
You just need to sell the rights to it in perpetuity, no big deal
- If you are in need of money and happen to possess a "kind and friendly face," one company has a proposition for you. Geomiq, a London-based engineering startup, is helping its client, an unnamed robot company, to develop a "virtual friend" for elderly people. That's where...
Robot Dog May Have
a Future in the Circus
Sep 27, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Robot Dog May Have a Future in the Circus
Cirque de Soliel is in talks with Boston Dynamics
- Animal-like robots that started out as a military-funded research project might be shipped off to the circus instead of the battlefield. Cirque du Soleil says it's in talks with robot maker Boston Dynamics about using the four-legged Spot robot in its live shows, the AP reports. The agile robots...
After Getting 'Stuck in Traffic,'
ISS Now Has a New 'Bot
Aug 27, 2019 3:36 AM CDT
After Getting 'Stuck in Traffic,' ISS Now Has a New 'Bot
Russian humanoid robot Fedor is 'ready to work now' after a week's delay
- A Russian space capsule carrying a humanoid robot has successfully docked at the International Space Station after a failed attempt last week. Russian space agency Roscosmos said on Tuesday that the capsule carrying the robot and other cargo docked at the orbiting lab early morning Moscow time. The robot, called...
Disney Unveils New
Dec 19, 2017 4:29 AM CST
Disney Unveils New Animatronic Trump
He's the latest addition to the Hall of Presidents
- Disney World's revamped Hall of Presidents is set to reopen Tuesday, with Barack Obama shifted to the side and a new robot with an extra-long tie center stage. The animatronic President Trump figure, which stands between Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses Grant, moves its hands as it recites dialogue Trump...
Elon Musk, AI Experts Warn
of 'Pandora's Box' of Weapons
Aug 21, 2017 10:35 AM CDT
Elon Musk, AI Experts Warn of 'Pandora's Box' of Weapons
Open letter asks for ban of autonomous 'killer robots'
- Elon Musk's wariness on artificial intelligence is well documented, and he just stepped up his anti-robot efforts with a note to the United Nations. The
reports that the Tesla CEO and Alphabet's Mustafa Suleyman, along with nearly 120 robotics and AI specialists from more than two dozen...
A Loaf-Sized Robot
Just Took This
Jul 21, 2017 10:08 AM CDT
A Loaf-Sized Robot Just Took This Important Photo
Locating melted fuel at Fukushima is key, and this is believed to be it
- An underwater robot captured images of lava-like lumps Thursday inside a damaged reactor at Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant , spotting for the first time what is believed to be nuclear fuel that melted six years ago. Locating the fuel in each of the three wrecked reactors is crucial for...
Enough of DC Life
Jul 18, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
'Suicidal Robot' Apparently Had Enough of DC Life
Nice knowing you, Steve
- If you ever find yourself being chased by a mob of angry robots, find a set of stairs or, even better, a fountain. Less than a week after it was dispatched to an office building in Washington, DC, a Knightscope K5 security robot by the name of "Steve" tumbled...
'When the Robot Served Us
Pizza We Felt Very Happy'
Jul 6, 2017 4:18 PM CDT
'When the Robot Served Us Pizza We Felt Very Happy'
Robot waitress draws diners to Pakistani pizza joint
- The owners of a pizza shop in Pakistan say business is booming now that they've introduced a robot waitress. Osama Jafri, the engineer who designed the 55-pound robot, says it can greet customers and carry pizzas to their tables. The AP reports the robot resembles a short, slender woman...
Robot Gets Revenge
After Drunk Guy Picks Fight
Apr 26, 2017 9:49 AM CDT
Robot Gets Revenge After Drunk Guy Picks Fight
Security droid sounded the alarm in Mountain View
- A crime-fighting robot wasn't able to prevent a drunk guy from attacking it—but it did get the last laugh, er, whistle, according to police. Authorities say Jason Sylvain, 41, knocked down the 5-foot-tall, 300-pound Knightscope K5 security droid —which is equipped with a camera, per Ars Technica...
Here's How Much Robots Have
Lowered Humans' Wages in US
Mar 28, 2017 6:15 PM CDT
Here's How Much Robots Have Lowered Humans' Wages in US
A new study quantifies the impact of the robot uprising on the American worker
- It turns out the robot uprising was a whole lot less
and a whole lot more
Roger & Me
. A study from economists at MIT and Boston University published this month by the National Bureau of Economic Research attempts to quantify the effects of industrial automation on American...
Hands Us 'Crushing
Defeat for Humanity'
Jan 31, 2017 10:17 AM CST
Poker-Playing Bot Hands Us 'Crushing Defeat for Humanity'
Libratus wins big for artificial intelligence
- Four of the world's best poker players are hanging their heads after recently losing $1.8 million in chips to Libratus. But Libratus isn't some card shark with a one-name brand: It's a computer that's been soundly trouncing humans—specifically, Dong Kim, Jason Les, Jimmy Chou,...
Firm Cited for 23 Violations
After Robot Kills Bride-to-Be
Dec 15, 2016 3:38 AM CST
Firm Cited for 23 Violations After Robot Kills Bride-to-Be
Auto parts plant cut safety corners to meet high targets: OSHA
- Federal authorities have announced nearly two dozen safety violations issued to an auto parts manufacturer after a bride-to-be who worked at its Alabama plant was crushed to death by a robotic machine. The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Wednesday announced 23 violations after investigating the death at the...
So Toyota Built
This Creepy Thing
in case you missed it
Oct 8, 2016 10:54 AM CDT
Japanese People Aren't Having Babies, So Toyota Built This Creepy Thing
Kirobo Mini robot is designed to emulate the behaviors of a human child
- Toyota has introduced an odd new product, and no, it's not a car. The Japan-based automotive manufacturer just unveiled the Kirobo Mini, a small, humanoid robot designed to "invoke an emotional connection," according to chief design engineer Fuminori Kataoka. Toyota's robot is one of a "...
Killed Dallas Suspect: PD
Jul 8, 2016 9:12 AM CDT
Bomb-Detonating Robot Killed Dallas Suspect: PD
And other updates from Thursday's shooting
- Details continue to emerge regarding Thursday night's police shooting in Dallas , with Mayor Mike Rawlings calling it a "heartbreaking morning," per the
Dallas Morning News
. Of note:
At least 14 people in total were shot at the police brutality protest, Rawlings confirmed, per WFAA : The death toll
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.