Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Not Want to
Return to US
Sep 27, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Really Does Not Want to Return to US
Fugitive seeks asylum in Venezuela, according to anonymous law enforcement official
- The fugitive defense contractor nicknamed “Fat Leonard" who orchestrated a huge bribery scheme involving dozens of US Navy officials, has requested asylum in Venezuela, a law enforcement official said Monday, nearly a week after he was captured in the South American country. Leonard Glenn Francis slipped away from house...
SCOTUS to Biden:
'Remain in Mexico' Policy
Aug 25, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Biden: Reinstate Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy
High court refuses to block lower court ruling
- The Supreme Court says the Biden administration likely violated federal law in trying to end a Trump-era program that forces people to wait in Mexico while seeking asylum in the US. With three liberal justices in dissent, the high court on Tuesday refused to block a lower court ruling ordering...
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
Migrants Made to 'Remain in
Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Feb 12, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Migrants Made to 'Remain in Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Biden administration rolls back Trump DHS program, will start letting asylum-seekers trickle in
- Starting next Friday, asylum-seekers languishing south of the border will start to see a respite. Under the Trump administration, Central American migrants trying to cross into the US from Mexico were made to "Remain in Mexico"—Trump's name for the Migrant Protection Protocols program , set up in...
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Oct 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Court won't look at the case until 2021, though—meaning it may be moot if Biden is elected
- The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to review a Trump administration policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings. As is typical, the court didn't comment in announcing it would hear the case. Because the court's calendar is already full through the end of the...
Canada Court Invalidates
Asylum Agreement With US
Jul 23, 2020 1:10 AM CDT
Canada Court Invalidates Asylum Agreement With US
But decision is delayed for 6 months
- A Canadian court Wednesday invalidated the country’s Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States, ruling elements of the law violate Canadian constitutional guarantees of life, liberty and security, the AP reports. But Federal Court Justice Ann Marie McDonald delayed the implementation of her decision for six months to...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
Trump Loses on
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy in Court
Feb 28, 2020 1:56 PM CST
Trump Loses on 'Remain in Mexico' Policy in Court
Nearly 60K people have been returned to wait for asylum hearings
- A federal appeals court on Friday temporarily halted a Trump administration policy to make asylum seekers wait in Mexico while their cases wind through US immigration courts. The same court decided to keep another major change on hold, one that denies asylum to anyone who enters the US illegally from...
The US Deported Them.
138 Are Now Dead
Feb 5, 2020 7:11 AM CST
The US Deported Them. 138 Are Now Dead
Human Rights Watch documents cases of murdered Salvadorans
- The report is called "Deported to Danger," and for at least 138 Salvadorans, danger is putting it too mildly. In its report released Wednesday, Human Rights Watch says that's the number of migrants and asylum seekers that were murdered after the US deported them back to El...
Trump Pact With Honduras
'Seals Off' Central America
Sep 26, 2019 5:18 AM CDT
Trump Pact With Honduras 'Seals Off' Central America
Administration signs deal to send asylum seekers to country
- The Trump administration signed a deal Wednesday with a third Central American country that would effectively seal off the region, preventing asylum-seekers traveling through from entering the United States, the AP reports. The latest agreement, signed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, paves the way to send asylum-seekers...
France Dismisses Snowden's
Latest Asylum Request
Sep 19, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
France Dismisses Snowden's Latest Asylum Request
It's 'not the time,' foreign minister says
- France's foreign minister says "it's not the time" to grant a new asylum request from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, the AP reports. Snowden has been living in Russia to escape US prosecution after leaking classified documents detailing government surveillance programs. Asking France again for...
Sep 12, 2019 5:02 PM CDT
Trump's New Asylum Ban Takes Effect
Rule denying asylum to nearly all migrants arriving at the southern border is being enforced
- With a go-ahead from the US Supreme Court , the Trump administration Thursday began enforcing a radical new rule that would deny asylum to nearly all migrants arriving at the southern border—a move that spread despair among those fleeing poverty and violence in their homelands. A rep for the Homeland...
Supreme Court: Trump
Can Bar Asylum Seekers
Sep 12, 2019 12:18 AM CDT
Supreme Court: Trump Can Bar Asylum Seekers
Ruling allows nationwide enforcement of limits while legal challenge continues
- The Supreme Court is allowing nationwide enforcement of a new Trump administration rule that prevents most Central American immigrants from seeking asylum in the United States. The justices' order late Wednesday temporarily undoes a lower-court ruling that had blocked the new asylum policy in some states along the southern border....
Trump Finds New Way
to Discourage Migrants
Aug 3, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Trump Finds New Way to Discourage Migrants
But swamped immigration courts manage to fast-track family cases
- Rosita Lopez said armed gang members demanded money from her and her partner at their small grocery store on the Guatemalan coast and threatened to kill them when they couldn't pay. When her partner was shot soon afterward, they sold everything and fled north, the AP reports. Just over...
Trump Loses Court
Battle Over Asylum
Jul 24, 2019 7:48 PM CDT
Trump Loses Court Battle Over Asylum
Federal judge's ruling halts the policy across the Mexico border
- A federal judge on Wednesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing new asylum restrictions for immigrants at the US-Mexico border, marking the latest defeat for a president waging an all-out battle in the courts to stop the flow of migrants into the country, the AP reports. The ruling by US...
20% of Asylum Seekers
Come From a Single Country
Jun 20, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
20% of Asylum Seekers Come From a Single Country
UN calls economic crisis there a 'war of survival'
- When Johan Álvarez was unable to provide more than one meal a day for his young family he knew it was time to leave Venezuela. With his wife and infant son, the 25-year-old embarked on a lengthy journey by bus through three nations to reach Peru earlier this year....
She Has Dementia,
Chokes on Food.
May 29, 2019 9:05 AM CDT
She Has Dementia, Chokes on Food. Denmark Is Deporting Her
Family of 72-year-old Zarmena Waziri says she'll never make it back in Afghanistan
- June 4 is a day of reckoning for Zarmena Waziri, a 72-year-old refugee from Afghanistan with dementia who's been told that's the day she must report to a Denmark deportation center. The
New York Times
reports that her last appeal for asylum there, where she lives with her...
Trump Wants to Charge
Asylum Seekers to Apply
Apr 30, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
Trump Wants to Charge Asylum Seekers to Apply
President orders crackdown on 'rampant abuse'
- President Trump is proposing charging asylum-seekers a fee to process their applications as he continues to try to crack down on the surge of Central American migrants trying to cross into the US. In a presidential memorandum signed Monday, Trump directed his attorney general and acting homeland security secretary to...
Ecuador President: Assange's
Bad Hygiene a Big Issue
Apr 15, 2019 11:57 AM CDT
Ecuador President: Assange's Bad Hygiene a Big Issue
President Lenín Moreno says he tried to use embassy as 'center for spying'
- Julian Assange was a bad guest who attempted to turn Ecuador's embassy in London into a "center for spying." So charges Ecuadorian President Lenín Moreno in an interview with the
, elaborating on comments he made roughly a week before Assange's arrest. In early April,...
Feds Ready to Roll Out
Major Asylum Policy Change
Jan 25, 2019 2:55 AM CST
Feds Ready to Roll Out Major Asylum Policy Change
Asylum seekers will be forced to wait in Mexico
- The Trump administration on Friday will start forcing some asylum seekers to wait in Mexico while their cases wind through US courts, an official says, launching what could become one of the more significant changes to the immigration system in years. The changes will be introduced at San Diego's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.