Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There Is a Single Public
Funeral Pyre in America
May 23, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
There Is a Single Public Funeral Pyre in America
But you have to be a resident of Saguache County, Colorado, to use it
- If the term "funeral pyre" conjures up images of traditional Hindu burnings in India, know that there's at least one public pyre that's closer to home. That fact comes to light in a
New York Times
piece on the death of Dr. Philip Incao, who chose to...
What She Realized
While Traveling With
Her Brother's Ashes
Apr 6, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
What She Realized While Traveling With Her Brother's Ashes
What Monica Corcoran Harel was looking for she found closer to home
- Grief is complicated, but Monica Corcoran Harel's piece for the
on her older brother's death—and her travels with his remains—is as smooth as it is poignant. She explains that Robert never left the US during his life, though their dad went so far as to...
Murder After Chinese Family
Needed a Body to Cremate
Apr 14, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Murder After Chinese Family Needed a Body to Cremate
They wanted to bury their son, but the body swap took a grim turn
- In some parts of China, particularly densely populated ones, burials are not permitted. The BBC reports one family's desire to get around this ended in murder. The case is only now coming to light and involves a family living in Shanwei city in Guangdong province who wanted to be...
After Grisly Gang Rape,
a Forced 3am Cremation
Sep 30, 2020 1:05 PM CDT
After Grisly Gang Rape, a Forced 3am Cremation
Family says police burned Indian victim's body without permission
- Activists in India are urging police to explain the "inhumane decision" to cremate the body of a rape victim against her family's wishes—and after family members protesting the decision were allegedly beaten. The 19-year-old victim was a Dalit, meaning from the country's lowest caste. She spent...
to Nearly 100
Aug 30, 2019 4:35 PM CDT
Funeral Home to Nearly 100 Families: Uh, Hello?
Hamilton's Funeral Home in Des Moines is trying to unload people's ashes
- An Iowa funeral home is calling on families to pick up the unclaimed cremated remains of nearly 100 people that it has been keeping in a locked closet for years, some since the mid-1990s, the AP reports. Lanae Strovers, of Hamilton's Funeral Home in Des Moines, told TV station...
on His Farm
Mar 15, 2019 12:21 PM CDT
Report: Luke Perry's Ashes Scattered on His Farm
TMZ says actor was cremated, and remains spread over his beloved Tennessee property
- The initial confusion around Luke Perry's apparent burial appears to have been cleared up with a report he wasn't buried at all. Perry, who died March 4 after suffering a massive stroke, was cremated and his ashes spread over his Tennessee farm—"the place he most cherished,...
Scientists Discover Who's
Buried at Stonehenge
Aug 4, 2018 2:45 PM CDT
Scientists Discover Who's Buried at Stonehenge
Number of people from South Wales is a 'surprise'
- Ever wonder who's buried at Stonehenge? Maybe not, but some of them apparently came from a ways off—which adds to our understanding of Stonehenge and shows how 5,000-year-old cremated remains can still be analyzed, the
reports. A new study finds that 10 out of 25 remains...
Ashes to Head
Jun 14, 2018 5:54 AM CDT
Bourdain's Ashes to Head Stateside
CNN confirms chef was cremated in France
- Anthony Bourdain was cremated in France on Wednesday, with his ashes to be sent to the US on Friday, a week after the beloved chef was found hanged,
reports, citing a source. A CNN rep confirms Bourdain has been cremated, per E! News . Bourdain had been in France filming...
Why More People
Are Storing Their
Dead at Home
Mar 3, 2018 5:55 AM CST
Why More People Are Storing Their Dead at Home
Cremation has seen a resurgence in America
- Visit someone's home nowadays and you may notice their dead loved one—on a shelf, on the floor, or wherever. "They are in my house," says Ellen Herman, an LA ad saleswoman, of her deceased parents. "Actually, in my bedroom! In boxes, under a bunch of...
'Like a Horror Story': Woman's
Body Mistakenly Cremated
Jan 17, 2018 12:37 PM CST
'Like a Horror Story': Woman's Body Mistakenly Cremated
Family says funeral home then presented 2 different bodies as Sandra Bennett
- The first body the funeral home showed them wasn't Sandra Bennett. Neither was the second. CBC reports a Canadian funeral home is under investigation after Bennett's family says it mistakenly cremated her body after she died in December at the age of 65 and then presented two other...
More than 2K Pieces of the
'Buddha' Found in Box in China
Nov 15, 2017 8:37 AM CST
More than 2K Pieces of the 'Buddha' Found in Box in China
Also 260 statues and pieces of an ancient temple
- When Siddhartha Gautama, aka the Buddha, died 2,600 years ago, legend has it that he was cremated and his remains split up among eight royal families, then eventually dispersed to several different countries. Now scientists in Jingchuan County, China, say they've found a box with thousands of pieces...
Dissident's Burial at Sea
Has Unintended Consequence
Jul 19, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Dissident's Burial at Sea Has Unintended Consequence
Activists say it has created a global memorial
- Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo's supporters say that in casting his ashes into the sea , the Chinese government hoped to deprive them of a permanent resting place to hold dear. What it did instead was create the world's biggest memorial, say those supporters, who plan to gather next to...
Navy Will Scatter Vet's Ashes
at Site of Worst US Sub Disaster
Nov 30, 2016 3:19 AM CST
Navy Will Scatter Vet's Ashes at Site of Worst US Sub Disaster
'He felt he should have gone down with the Thresher'
- For a half-century after the deadliest submarine disaster in US history, Navy Capt. Paul "Bud" Rogers struggled with feelings that it should have been him—and not his last-minute replacement—on the doomed voyage of the USS Thresher in which 129 men died. This week, at his family's...
Must Be Buried,
Nov 29, 2016 1:16 PM CST
Texas Rules Fetal Remains Must Be Buried, Cremated
Whether they're from miscarriages or abortions, no matter the gestational age
- Texas women came forward earlier this month to tell their miscarriage and abortion stories to fend off proposed new funerary rules for embryonic and fetal tissue, but sharing their experiences apparently fell short of the mark. Per state health officials, starting Dec. 19, hospitals, abortion clinics, and other facilities will...
a Big No-No,
Oct 25, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Scattering Ashes a Big No-No, Says Vatican
Keeping an urn full of ashes isn't allowed, either
- Keeping the cremated ashes of a loved one in an urn on your mantel is officially against the rules for Catholics. New guidelines from the Vatican state that ashes must never be scattered or kept by family members, but held in a "sacred place" like a cemetery, reports the...
Thief May Have
Ashes Were Drugs
Oct 13, 2016 2:14 PM CDT
Thief May Have Thought Human Ashes Were Drugs
Mass. woman says her mom's remains were stolen out of her Jeep
- A woman whose mother's ashes were stolen from her car fears an addict stole and ingested them thinking they were drugs, the AP reports. Carolyn Parker tells the
of Brockton, Mass., the ashes were in a plastic bag inside a small white box in her glove compartment. They...
Family Sues Mortuary After
Body Left in Garage 2 Years
Oct 11, 2016 12:29 PM CDT
Family Sues Mortuary After Body Left in Garage 2 Years
Remains of 3 others were also found
- After 50-year-old Brigitte Godfrey died of an asthma attack in March of 2013, her family contacted Living Waters Funeral Home near Chicago to cremate the body, reports Courthouse News Service . That never happened: Two years later, Godfrey's corpse was found with three other bodies and a bag of organs...
Offers an Eco-Friendly Finale
Jun 20, 2016 4:01 PM CDT
Flameless Cremation Offers an Eco-Friendly Finale
An alkaline solution quickly dissolves human bodies
- Even in death, you have one final way to go green. The flameless cremation uses an alkaline solution of potash, salt, and water to quickly dissolve human bodies in a pressurized vessel—doing the work of 15 to 20 years in the ground in less than two hours, the CBC...
No One Knew
Body in Coffin
Except Little Kids
Mar 22, 2016 3:37 PM CDT
No One Knew Body in Coffin Wasn't Grandma— Except Little Kids
Adults thought Val-Jean McDonald's body looked odd but didn't say anything
- With eight sons, more than 20 grandkids, and nearly two dozen great- and great-great-grandchildren, it wasn't surprising there were lots of attendees at Val-Jean McDonald's funeral after her death in December at the age of 81, the
New York Times
reports. What was surprising: Not a single adult...
6 States That Cremate
70% of Dead People
May 22, 2015 1:49 PM CDT
6 States That Cremate 70% of Dead People
Hello, Nevada (or should we say good-bye?)
- If you live in Nevada and plan to die there, you'll be in good company should you opt for cremation. According to a cool interactive map created by Slate , 74% of the state's dead were cremated in 2013. That from a country that, as Slate observes, cremated only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
They Bought 2 Suitcases at Auction. Inside, a Horrific Find
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.