Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hunter Biden Sues
the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Sep 18, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Sues the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Complaint by president's son alleges 2 whistleblower agents violated his privacy
- Just days after Hunter Biden was indicted on federal firearms charges, the president's son is pushing back on separate allegations about his taxes with a lawsuit against the IRS. The AP reports that Biden filed his complaint Monday, accusing two whistleblower IRS agents, Gary Shapley and Joseph Ziegler, of...
Jul 24, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
IRS Agents Will Stop Surprise Home Visits
Agency says it will stop long practice of paying delinquent taxpayers unannounced visits
- The IRS is putting an end to an unpopular practice: showing up unannounced at the homes of delinquent taxpayers. IRS chief Danny Werfel said Monday the agency will end the decades-long policy of sending agents out on such visits in an attempt to collect money, reports the
New York Times
in Biden Probe
May 25, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
IRS Whistleblower in Biden Probe Emerges From the Shadows
Gary Shapley tells CBS that DOJ 'slow-walked' probe into Hunter Biden's taxes
- News organizations have already determined that an investigation at the center of an IRS whistleblower's allegations involves President Biden's son. Now, we know the name of that whistleblower. In an exclusive interview with CBS News , Gary Shapley, a supervisory special agent with the IRS' criminal investigations arm, tells...
It's Prison for
Dad, Son Whose
Was a Scam
May 24, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
It's Prison for Dad, Son Whose Lottery 'Luck' Was a Scam
Ali and Yousef Jaafar illegally cashed 14K tickets over 9 years
- A father and son in Massachusetts will spend years in prison for a decade-long lottery scam that saw them claim $20 million in winnings from 14,000 tickets, illegally obtained from the true winners. Authorities are calling it "an elaborate tax fraud" that ensnared not only the father and...
IRS E-File Test Has the Likes
of TurboTax Very Unhappy
May 17, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
IRS E-File Test Has the Likes of TurboTax Very Unhappy
Officials say it could save taxpayers billions, tax-prep companies say the opposite
- Americans will soon be able to file electronic tax returns directly to the government—something residents of dozens of other countries have long been able to do. Congress approved $15 million in funding to study the possibility of a direct e-file system last year. Now, the IRS has announced a...
Attorneys: DOJ Made
'Retaliatory' Move in
Hunter Biden Case
May 17, 2023 8:52 AM CDT
Attorneys: DOJ Made 'Retaliatory' Move in Hunter Biden Case
Attorneys for IRS whistleblower say they've been taken off investigation into president's son
- An IRS whistleblower said to have eyebrow-raising information on a "sensitive" investigation into a "high-profile, controversial subject" that's been going on since 2018 now says they've been removed from that inquiry, as has their "entire investigative team." The subject in question: Hunter Biden, per...
IRS Announces Record
Boost for 401(k) Infusions
Oct 21, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Announces Record Boost for 401(k) Infusions
For 2023, you can deposit $22,500 to qualified retirement plans—up to $30K for those 50 and over
- Good news for those who want to pump more money into their retirement savings: The IRS just raised the contribution limit on 401(k) plans for 2023, as well as for similar tax-deferred plans for public education workers, federal and state employees, and those who work for tax-exempt groups. That new...
Tax Rates Announced
Oct 19, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Inflation-Adjusted Tax Rates Announced
Some could see lower tax rates in 2023
- The Internal Revenue Service on Tuesday announced the adjustments that will be in effect for 2023 tax rates in response to soaring inflation, meaning some taxpayers could see a lower tax bill. As the
New York Times
reports, typically when tax rates are adjusted for inflation, the adjustments are "...
IRS: It's Not
a Think Tank,
It's a Church
Jul 11, 2022 3:22 PM CDT
IRS: It's Not a Think Tank, It's a Church
ProPublica reports that conservative Family Research Council gets the designation
- When the Family Research Council surfaces in news stories, it is often described as a right-wing think tank. The FRC defines itself on its website as a "nonprofit research and educational organization dedicated to articulating and advancing a family-centered philosophy of public life." The Southern Poverty Law Center...
IRS Approved One Guy's
76 Blatantly Fake Charities
Jul 10, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Approved One Guy's 76 Blatantly Fake Charities
'New York Times' examines lax policies at tax agency that make fraud easy
- Ian Hosang says he’s sorry and wants to make full restitution. “I did very wrong. I know that,” he tells the
New York Times .
Hosang, 63, was arrested in May for fraud and other charges tied to 76 fake charities he established between 2014 and 2020. According...
IRS Grudgingly Requests
Investigation of Officials' Audits
Jul 7, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
IRS Grudgingly Requests Investigation of Officials' Audits
Comey, McCabe faced intensive tax scrutiny under agency led by Trump appointee
This file has been updated throughout with new information.
Despite calling it "ludicrous and untrue to suggest" that two top officials then-President Trump clashed with were chosen any way but randomly for intensive tax audits, the agency announced Thursday there will be an investigation. The IRS said in...
IRS Drops Facial
Feb 7, 2022 7:35 PM CST
IRS Drops Facial Recognition Plan
Agency is suspending use of private company for identity verification
- The IRS is backing away from what some critics saw as another step toward a dystopian future: a plan to have a private company use facial recognition to verify taxpayers' identities. The agency, which was facing a backlash from lawmakers from both parties, along with the ACLU and other privacy...
IRS Outsources Online Security
to Private Company
Jan 21, 2022 4:42 PM CST
IRS Outsources Online Security to Private Company
Video selfies will be required for some online functions by this summer
- The bane of some people’s existence, the Internal Revenue Service, is about to make life a little harder this summer. American taxpayers will be unable to perform most functions at IRS.gov without providing a video selfie to a private identity verification company, CNBC reports. Do not panic yet—...
The Number Is
In on Worth of
and It's Huge
Jan 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
The Number Is In on Worth of Prince's Estate, and It's Huge
Final valuation comes in at $156.4M, about double what estate's administrator originally estimated
- The administrator of Prince's estate had once estimated its value at $82.3 million. The Internal Revenue Service said it thought the real number was double that. Now, nearly six years after the legal fight over the late singer's estate began, a final figure has been arrived at,...
This Could be a 'Frustrating'
Tax Season, Officials Say
Jan 10, 2022 5:29 PM CST
This Could be a 'Frustrating' Tax Season, Officials Say
'Enormous challenges' could delay refunds
- This year's tax filing season will begin on Jan. 24, 17 days earlier than last year, the Internal Revenue Service announced Monday. The IRS is warning that a resurgence of COVID-19 infections on top of a lesser funding authorization from Congress than the Biden administration had requested could make...
IRS to Millions of Taxpayers:
You Made a 'Math Error'
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
IRS to Millions of Taxpayers: You Made a 'Math Error'
Pandemic credits apparently caused a lot of confusion
- Millions of Americans are getting an unwanted letter in the mail from the IRS informing them of a "math error." And in the vast majority of cases, that error works in the government's favor. The agency has sent out 11 million such letters as of mid-August in...
Justice Decides Against
Trump on Tax Returns
Jul 30, 2021 2:47 PM CDT
Justice Decides Against Trump on Tax Returns
Barring another twist, House panel will receive copies of the documents
- The Justice Department, in a reversal, says the Treasury Department must provide the House Ways and Means Committee with former President Trump's tax returns, apparently ending a long legal showdown over the records. In a memo dated Friday, the Office of Legal Counsel said the committee chairman "has...
for a Tax Refund?
The News Isn't Great
Jul 2, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
Still Waiting for a Tax Refund? The News Isn't Great
After 'unprecedented' tax season, IRS has backlog of 35M returns
- If you're wondering why your tax refund still hasn't arrived, you're in good company. After the "most challenging filing season taxpayers, tax professionals, and the IRS have ever experienced," the agency is currently trying to work its way through a backlog of 35 million tax...
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone
Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Apr 17, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Complaint: Trump ally's tax troubles, which stretch back to 2007, didn't stop him from living it up
- Former President Trump pardoned Roger Stone right before he left office, but that reprieve isn't going to help the GOP operative with his latest IRS troubles. NBC News reports that the Justice Department filed a lawsuit Friday in Florida against the 68-year-old Trump ally for the nearly $2 million...
Yup, Tax Day Deadline
Mar 18, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Yup, Tax Day Deadline Officially Extended
It's now May 17, IRS announces
- As expected , the Internal Revenue Service has extended the typical April 15 tax filing and payment deadline to May 17. Due to the economic struggles many have faced amid the COVID-19 pandemic, "this continues to be a tough time for many people, and the IRS wants to continue...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.