Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Lived a Quiet Life in a NH
Trailer, Also Had a $4M Secret
Nov 21, 2023 1:19 PM CST
He Lived a Quiet Life in a NH Trailer, Also Had a $4M Secret
Geoffrey Holt leaves it all to small town of Hinsdale after his death
- Geoffrey Holt was unassuming as the caretaker of a mobile home park in Hinsdale, New Hampshire, where he lived a simple but curious life. Residents would see Holt around town in threadbare clothes—riding his lawn mower, headed to the convenience store, parked along the main road reading a newspaper....
Millionaires Feel Like They're
Just Middle Class These Days
Nov 13, 2023 1:52 PM CST
Millionaires Feel Like They're Just Middle Class These Days
Only 8% of those with at least $1M consider themselves wealthy, per new survey
- A million dollars just doesn't stretch the way it used to. So say all the millionaires who now place themselves squarely in the "middle class" category, according to a new poll from Ameriprise Financial. In the survey of more than 3,000 US adults, nearly 600 were found...
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies
Need to Lose Their Jobs
Sep 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies Need to Lose Their Jobs
Multimillionaire Tim Gurner courts controversy in saying workers need to be shown their place
- One of Australia's richest men has apologized after calling for 270,000 job losses to show workers their place. Gurner Group founder and CEO Tim Gurner, a multimillionaire real-estate tycoon, was speaking at the
Australian Financial Review
's property summit on Tuesday when he said workers have become "...
State's Millionaire Tax to Pay
for Free School Lunches
Aug 17, 2023 1:13 PM CDT
State's Millionaire Tax to Pay for Free School Lunches
$172M of $1B revenue to be used to feed public school students in Massachusetts
- Every public school student in Massachusetts will enjoy free school lunches owing to a new millionaire tax. Passed by voters in November and instituted at the start of this year, the 4% tax on earnings above $1 million will account for $1 billion of the state's $56 billion 2024...
Takes Tough Test
27 Times, to No Avail
Jun 28, 2023 11:25 AM CDT
Persistent Millionaire Takes Tough Test 27 Times, to No Avail
Since first test in '83, he hasn't seen a satisfactory score on China's grueling college-entrance exam
- Whether it's stress, lack of knowledge, or freezing in the moment, Liang Shi has not been able to achieve a satisfactory score on the
, China's grueling college-entrance exam. It's not for lack of trying: The 56-year-old millionaire has taken the test more than two dozen times...
Stacey Abrams Turns Her
Personal Finances Around
Apr 5, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams Turns Her Personal Finances Around
Georgia Democrat, who had little money before 2018 run, is now a multi-millionaire
- When Democrat Stacey Abrams first ran for Georgia governor in 2018, her lackluster personal finances and a hefty bill from the IRS gave Republicans fodder to question how she could manage a state budget when she struggled with her own debts. As she launches a second bid this year, that'...
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife
Ends With 2 Drownings
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife Ends With 2 Drownings
Pair of men hired to kidnap woman jumped into canal during police chase
- A Louisiana millionaire is facing up to 35 years in prison after plotting to kidnap his estranged wife at gunpoint. Lawrence Handley's plan did not go at all as he expected. After the two men he hired to kidnap his wife from the couples' south Lafayette home handcuffed her,...
He's Down to Last 2 Guesses
to Access $240M in Bitcoin
in case you missed it
Jan 17, 2021 12:45 PM CST
He's Down to Last 2 Guesses to Access $240M in Bitcoin
'New York Times' looks at the problem of owners who have forgotten their passwords
- It sucks when you can't remember your password to, say, your Amazon.com or Venmo account. It
sucks when the code that's right on the tip of your brain is keeping you from accessing millions of dollars' worth of bitcoin—and if you guess wrong too many...
Car Flips in
Oct 2, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
'Speed Freak' Dies When Car Flips in Harrowing Accident
Zef Eisenberg was only 47
- A man who liked driving at incredibly fast speeds died Thursday while trying to set the British land speed record, the BBC reports. Zef Eisenberg, the millionaire founder of a sports nutrition company, was killed in York, England, when his Porsche 911 Turbo S went off the runway at Elvington...
Likely Coming Soon to
NJ: a Millionaires Tax
Sep 18, 2020 9:26 AM CDT
Likely Coming Soon to NJ: a Millionaires Tax
Gov. Phil Murphy's proposal to hike taxes for the rich will likely pass state Legislature
- In what's being called a "historic win for the middle-class," a proposal has been OKed by top New Jersey state Democrats to hike taxes on the rich. The plan, announced Thursday by Democrats Gov. Phil Murphy, Senate President Steve Sweeney, and Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin, would raise...
Apr 28, 2020 11:04 AM CDT
Cops on Tycoon's Missing Wife: 'Clearly Planned Deception'
Norway's Tom Hagen arrested on suspicion of murdering spouse, who vanished in 2018
- One of Norway’s wealthiest men was arrested Tuesday in connection with his wife's 2018 disappearance and held on suspicion of murder or complicity to murder in a case that police had earlier thought was a kidnapping. Tom Hagen, a real estate investor and owner of an electric company,...
'One of Canada's
Killings' Ends in
Jan 8, 2020 8:35 AM CST
'One of Canada's Most Gruesome Killings' Ends in Surprise Verdict
Zhao Li escapes murder ruling, found guilty of manslaughter instead
- A two-year-plus trial that drew much media attention has ended in Canada, with a verdict that's shocked many. On Tuesday, a judge on British Columbia's Supreme Court found 59-year-old Zhao Li guilty not of murder, but of manslaughter for killing and dismembering his millionaire cousin, 41-year-old Gang Yuan,...
Invites 10 People
to Come Live
Dec 20, 2019 9:06 AM CST
Multimillionaire Invites 10 People to Come Live in 'Paradise'
Karl Reipen places ad regarding his New Zealand estate
- Looking to permanently while away your days overlooking the Tasman Sea and sipping on vino while watching "nice animals" with other "nice people"? Karl Reipen wants to hear from you. The
reports the German multimillionaire has placed an ad seeking 10 people up to age 70...
Millionaire Gave Flying Lessons
to Underage Girl. Then, This
May 19, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
Millionaire Gave Flying Lessons to Underage Girl. Then, This
Stephen Mell faces up to 5 years on sex charges
- A New Jersey millionaire who seemed to have everything—a family, a helicopter, two planes, a brokerage firm—is pleading guilty to sex charges after allegedly putting one of his planes on autopilot to have sex with an underage girl,
reports. Stephen Mell, 53, faces up to five...
Cops Tell Millionaire 'Not to Pay'
Ransom for Kidnapped Wife
Jan 9, 2019 8:32 AM CST
Cops Tell Millionaire 'Not to Pay' Ransom for Kidnapped Wife
Norway's Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik Hagen vanished on Halloween
- The wife of a Norwegian businessman with a $200 million fortune was kidnapped months ago, police announced Wednesday, noting the case was kept on "a low profile" because "very serious threats have been made." Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik Hagen, wife of real estate investor Tom Hagen, hasn't been...
Millionaire Accused of Killing
Lawyer a Week After Judgment
Sep 11, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Millionaire Accused of Killing Lawyer a Week After Judgment
David Jungerman's $33M in assets are now under care of a Kansas City police commissioner
- Millionaire David Jungerman should be enjoying his golden years. Instead, his assets are now under the control of police in Kansas City, who've charged him with murder. It's something of a tale: Per the
Kansas City Star
, the 80-year-old is accused of shooting and killing attorney Tom Pickert...
Number of 401(k)
Aug 16, 2018 12:02 PM CDT
Number of 401(k) Millionaires Surges
Fidelity announces 168K of its clients have at least $1 million in their 401(k) accounts
- Good news for many who are saving for retirement: During the second quarter, 168,000 people with 401(k)s managed by Fidelity Investments were millionaires, having at least $1 million in their accounts, per a press release . That's a record high,
reports. It's also up 41% from...
He's 6 Years Old
and Makes Millions
in case you missed it
Dec 16, 2017 6:08 PM CST
He's 6 Years Old and Makes Millions on YouTube
Ryan reviews, plays with toys for his family's channel and helps pull in $11M a year
- Meet Ryan. He's 6 years old, likes to play with toys, and has just been listed as one of
highest-earning YouTube celebrities. Per Business Insider , the young entrepreneur, who hosts his family's Ryan ToysReview channel on the video-sharing site, helped his household bring in about $11 million...
Monaco Taking Land From Sea
for Millionaires to Live On
Nov 21, 2017 7:35 AM CST
Monaco Taking Land From Sea for Millionaires to Live On
Inside the $2B land reclamation project
- Monaco is set to get 3% bigger. The
looks at Prince Albert II's decision to green-light a construction project that will see 15 acres of land reclaimed from the sea so that more luxury homes can be built on it. The prices are astronomical, and so too, apparently,...
The Complex Tale of America's
Jul 21, 2017 4:39 PM CDT
The Complex Tale of America's 'Blue-Collar Millionaire'
Percy Ross gave away millions of dollars—but was everything as it seemed?
- Percy Ross made his fortune in plastic garbage bags (after some other entrepreneurial endeavors), culminating in the sale of his company, Poly-Tech, for $8 million on July 20, 1969—the same day man walked on the moon. A Longreads story by Jacqui Shine details Ross' "pitch-perfect rags-to-riches tale" as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.