Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Mosque Attacker
Thought It Was Caesar's Home
Mar 25, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Cops: Mosque Attacker Thought It Was Caesar's Home
Slain worker at Florida Islamic center hailed as hero
- A man accused of brutally murdering a worker at a Florida mosque Thursday morning was apparently motivated not by Islamophobia, but by a delusional belief that he was defending the property of Julius Caesar, investigators say. Police say the suspect used a propane tank to smash a window at the...
Man Armed With Hatchet,
Bear Spray Attacks Mosque
Mar 21, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
Man Armed With Hatchet, Bear Spray Attacks Mosque
He was subdued by worshipers at Canadian mosque
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau praised the courage of worshipers at a Toronto-area mosque after they fended off an attacker armed with a hatchet and bear spray. Police say the attacker was subdued by worshipers at the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Center in Mississauga Saturday morning, the CBC reports. Mohammad Moiz Omar,...
Ukraine: Russia Shelled Mosque
Sheltering 30-Plus Children
Mar 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Ukraine: Russia Shelled Mosque Sheltering 30-Plus Children
Mariupol, other Ukrainian cities continue to withstand relentless attacks
- Russian forces pounding the port city of Mariupol shelled a mosque sheltering more than 80 people, including children, the Ukrainian government said Saturday, as fighting also raged on the outskirts of the capital, Kyiv. There was no immediate word of casualties from the shelling of the mosque, per the AP...
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt
in Mosque Bombing
Mar 4, 2022 11:38 AM CST
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt in Mosque Bombing
'Dust and bodies everywhere' as people gathered for prayers in Peshawar, Pakistan
- A suicide bomber struck inside a Shiite Muslim mosque in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar during Friday prayers, killing at least 56 worshippers and wounding about 200 others, hospital officials said. No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. Both the Islamic State group and the Pakistani Taliban—...
US Church Membership
Hits Record Low
Mar 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
US Church Membership Hits Record Low
Gallup says rate has fallen below 50% for the first time
- If you're an American who belongs to a church, synagogue, or mosque, you're now in a minority, according to a new Gallup poll . Gallup says church membership has fallen below 50% to a record low of 47%, largely due to a corresponding increase in the proportion of people...
Gas Line Explodes
Near Mosque, Killing 16
Sep 5, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Gas Line Explodes Near Mosque, Killing 16
Dozens of injuries also reported after blast in Bangladesh
- An underground gas pipeline near a mosque exploded during evening prayers outside Bangladesh's capital, leaving 16 Muslim worshipers dead and dozens injured with critical burns, officials say. The blast occurred Friday night as people were finishing their prayers at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque at Narayanganj, per a local police...
Mosque Shooter's Sentence
Is a First for New Zealand
Aug 27, 2020 1:56 AM CDT
Mosque Shooter's Sentence Is a First for New Zealand
Brenton Harrison Tarrant sentenced to life without possibility of parole
- The white supremacist who slaughtered 51 worshippers at two New Zealand mosques was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, the first time a court in the country had sentenced someone to prison for the remainder of their life, the AP reports. Judge Cameron Mander said...
Iran: We Have
of Group Based
Aug 1, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Iran: We Have Detained Leader of Group Based in California
Jamshid Sharmahd is accused of planning attacks
- Iran on Saturday said it detained an Iranian-American leader of a little-known California-based militant opposition group for allegedly planning a 2008 attack on a mosque that killed 14 people and wounded over 200 others, the AP reports. Iran's Intelligence Ministry also alleged Jamshid Sharmahd of the Kingdom Assembly of...
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking
From Its Captivity Chains'
Jul 24, 2020 7:08 AM CDT
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking From Its Captivity Chains'
Muslims headed Friday to Istanbul's Hagia Sophia for first prayers there in nearly 9 decades
- Thousands of Muslims converged on Istanbul's landmark Hagia Sophia on Friday to take part in the first prayers in 86 years, at what was once one of Christendom's most significant cathedrals, then a mosque and museum before its reconversion into a Muslim place of worship. Turkish President Recep...
Jubilation, Dismay at Status
Change of Turkish Landmark
Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Jubilation, Dismay at Status Change of Turkish Landmark
Muslims thrilled Hagia Sophia to be reconverted to a mosque; Orthodox Christians, not so much
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday reconverted Istanbul’s sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum. The decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia—a former cathedral that was turned...
During School Shooting, Teen
Unlocks Mosque for Students
Dec 6, 2019 9:00 AM CST
During School Shooting, Teen Unlocks Mosque for Students
17-year-old Duaa Ahmad stayed calm, acted quickly during chaos at Wisconsin high school
- When students in an AP English class at a Wisconsin high school heard a gunshot Tuesday and the teacher yelled for the students to go, what followed was a complete state of confusion and chaos. One student, however, knew just what to do as she and her classmates at Oshkosh...
Hong Kong Police Fire
Blue Dye at Mosque
Oct 21, 2019 4:32 AM CDT
Hong Kong Police Fire Blue Dye at Mosque
Carrie Lam visits Kowloon Mosque to apologize
- Hong Kong officials apologized to Muslim leaders Monday after riot police sprayed a mosque and bystanders with a blue-dyed solution from a water cannon while trying to contain pro-democracy demonstrations in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory. The city's leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, and its police chief visited the Kowloon...
Day After UN Warning,
a Deadly Mosque Bombing
Oct 18, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Day After UN Warning, a Deadly Mosque Bombing
Dozens killed in mosque explosion in Afghanistan's Nangarhar province
- An explosion rocked a mosque in eastern Afghanistan as dozens of people gathered to offer Friday players, causing the roof to collapse and killing at least 60 worshippers, provincial officials said, per the AP and
New York Times
. Dozens of others were said to be injured. Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for...
Aug 12, 2019 2:50 PM CDT
Suspected Mosque Shooter Allegedly Killed Stepsister
Philip Manshaus was seen bruised and smirking in court
- A Norwegian man suspected of killing his stepsister and then storming an Oslo-area mosque with guns appeared in court Monday with a smirk on his bruised face. Security experts believe Philip Manshaus is the latest example of an extremist who was radicalized by far-right conspiracy theories spread online, particularly the...
Suspected Mosque Gunman
Thwarted by 75-Year-old
Aug 11, 2019 6:06 AM CDT
Suspected Mosque Gunman Thwarted by 75-Year-old
Cops say Norwegian man shot, lightly injured 1 in shooting; but woman found dead at his house
- A Norwegian man in his 20s is under arrest after attempting to shoot up a mosque in an Oslo suburb—and failing rather spectacularly after a 75-year-old worshipper put him in a chokehold and sat on him until police came, reports the BBC . One person suffered a light injury in...
Cops: Note Found
After Calif. Mosque
Arson Cited NZ
Mar 25, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Cops: Note Found After Calif. Mosque Arson Cited NZ
'We won't stop praying,' Islamic spokesman in Escondido says
- But for one person who wasn't sleeping, a frightening and dangerous incident over the weekend at a California mosque could have turned tragic. Seven people were inside the Islamic Center of Escondido early Sunday when, shortly after 3am, the lone person not snoozing noticed flames and woke the others,...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Trump, AOC Draw Headlines
With Their New Zealand Tweets
Mar 15, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Trump, AOC Draw Headlines With Their New Zealand Tweets
'49 innocent people have so senselessly died,' writes Trump
- President Trump took to Twitter Friday morning to respond to the mass shootings in New Zealand , tweeting , "My warmest sympathy and best wishes goes [sic] out to the people of New Zealand after the horrible massacre in the Mosques. 49 innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many...
Toll Hits 49 in
NZ Mosque Shootings
Mar 15, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
Toll Hits 49 in NZ Mosque Shootings
Alleged shooter praised Norway mass killer
- The death toll in Friday's mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, has now hit 49, making it the country's deadliest outbreak of violence since a WWII POW camp riot. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who described Friday as one of New Zealand's "darkest days,...
PM: 40 Killed, 20 Hurt
in NZ Mosque Shootings
Mar 15, 2019 2:21 AM CDT
PM: 40 Killed, 20 Hurt in NZ Mosque Shootings
3 men, 1 woman in custody
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has confirmed that at least 40 people were killed and 20 injured in Friday's horrific mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch. Three men and one woman were arrested after the shootings, which Ardern described as a terrorist attack, the
New Zealand Herald
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.