Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Hawley to Vote
Aug 1, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Hawley to Vote Against Letting Sweden, Finland Into NATO
GOP senator argues US should focus less on Europe, more on China
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said last week that the US "would be fortunate to have two new treaty allies as impressive and capable as Finland and Sweden." On Monday, one of his Republican colleagues said he won't support the two countries joining NATO, per the Hill...
First 2 Countries Ratify
Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Jul 6, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
First 2 Countries Ratify Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Canada, Denmark legislatures approved historic move
- All 30 NATO members have formally signed off on Sweden and Finland's historic bid to join the alliance , and the next step is expected to be a time-consuming one—but not in Canada. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the country has become the first to ratify accession protocols for...
World’s First ‘Sand Battery’
Installed in Finland
Jul 5, 2022 5:59 PM CDT
World’s First ‘Sand Battery’ Installed in Finland
It can store heat for use when solar and other renewables come up short
- A team of Finnish engineers has installed the world’s first commercial "sand battery," and it could help overcome a vexing obstacle to widescale implementation of renewable energy, per the BBC. It couldn’t come at a better time for Finland, since Russia cut both gas and electricity...
NATO to Make Its Biggest
Expansion in Decades
Jun 29, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
NATO to Make Its Biggest Expansion in Decades
Finland and Sweden are formally invited to join
- Sweden and Finland are one big step closer to joining NATO, which on Wednesday formalized its invitation to the two countries. The next step is for the 30 member states' parliaments and legislatures to ratify the decision, which is expected to move forward quickly, though the full process could take...
Turkey Drops Objection to
Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Jun 28, 2022 9:28 PM CDT
Turkey Drops Objection to Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Alliance leader hails 'historic decision'
: Turkey agreed Tuesday to lift its opposition to Sweden and Finland joining NATO, ending an impasse that had clouded a leaders’ summit opening in Madrid amid Europe’s worst security crisis in decades, triggered by the war in Ukraine. After urgent top-level talks with leaders of the three countries,...
'In an Unpredictable World,'
US Leads NATO Exercise
Jun 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
'In an Unpredictable World,' US Leads NATO Exercise
Sweden, Finland take part in 7K-personnel drill
- NATO kicked off nearly a two-week, US-led naval exercise on the Baltic Sea on Sunday with more than 7,000 sailors, airmen, and marines from 16 nations, including two aspiring to join the military alliance, Finland and Sweden. The annual BALTOPS naval exercise, initiated in 1972, is not held in...
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
May 21, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Brewery Toasts NATO Bid
New lager from town near Finland's border with Russia offers 'a taste of security'
- A small brewery in Finland, just 30 or so miles from the Russian border, has made its feelings about the nation joining NATO clear. Just before Finland submitted its application to the security alliance, Olaf Brewing released a new lager. Its name, OTAN, plays on the Finnish "I'll...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
Apply to Join NATO
May 18, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Finland, Sweden Apply to Join NATO
Spurred by Russian invasion of Ukraine, countries make big move
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that the military alliance stands ready to seize a historic moment and move quickly on allowing Finland and Sweden to join its ranks, after the two countries submitted their membership requests. The official applications, handed over by Finland's and Sweden's ambassadors...
Sweden: We Want
to Join NATO, Too
May 16, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Sweden: We Want to Join NATO, Too
Government, like Finland's, will apply for membership
- Sweden's prime minister announced Monday that Sweden will join Finland in seeking NATO membership in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a historic shift that comes after more than 200 years of military nonalignment in the Nordic country, per the AP . The move, which is likely to...
Finland Makes Bid
for NATO Official
May 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Finland Makes Bid for NATO Official
Sweden's ruling party reverses on opposition to joining alliance
- NATO moved closer to expansion on Sunday, as Finland confirmed its intention to apply for membership and Sweden's ruling party dropped its opposition to that nation joining. Both countries have long been militarily nonaligned, and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said their joining the organization will constitute a "...
Finland Takes Big Step
Toward Joining NATO
May 12, 2022 5:54 AM CDT
Finland Takes Big Step Toward Joining NATO
President, PM say country needs to apply to join alliance 'without delay'
- After staying neutral during the Cold War and remaining nonaligned for decades afterward, Finland is on the brink of joining NATO. In a joint statement Thursday, Prime Minister Sanna Marin and President Sauli Niinisto said the country needs to apply to join the alliance "without delay," the
Apr 14, 2022 12:59 AM CDT
It's Looking More Likely That Finland, Sweden Will Join NATO
Finland's decision is expected 'within weeks'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned Finland and Sweden not to join NATO , but both countries are edging closer to the military alliance even so. Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said a decision on whether to apply is expected "within weeks," the BBC reports, and if Finland decides...
Don't Join NATO,
Apr 11, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Don't Join NATO, Russia Warns Finland, Sweden
Both nations are conducting reviews in light of the invasion of Ukraine
- With polls showing public support for the move has nearly doubled in both countries since the invasion of Ukraine, Sweden and Finland are talking about joining NATO. Don't do that, Russia warned Monday. "The alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters,...
on Russia: $46M
Worth of Art
Apr 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Latest Crackdown on Russia: $46M Worth of Art
Customs officials in Finland seize paintings, sculptures, antiquities
- Some $46 million worth of art on loan from Russian galleries to museums in Japan and Italy has been seized on the return trip. Customs officials in Finland seized the paintings, sculptures, and antiquities in three shipments at the Vaalimaa crossing of the Finland-Russia border on Friday and Saturday, in...
In Ukraine Standoff,
One Key Word Surfaces
Feb 10, 2022 11:15 AM CST
In Ukraine Standoff, One Key Word Surfaces
- As world leaders attempt to avoid a war over the Russia-Ukraine standoff , a single word has come into wide circulation in recent days: "Finlandization." Before his talks with the leaders of both nations, French President Emmanuel Macron appeared to suggest it was being considered as a model for...
Told His Tesla Needed a $22K
Battery, He Blew It Up Instead
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Told His Tesla Needed a $22K Battery, He Blew It Up Instead
Finnish man Tuomas Katainen teamed up with a YouTuber to get the job done
- The first 932 miles were good miles for a Finnish man and the used 2013 Tesla Model S he bought. That's when a series of error codes began popping up, which led Tuomas Katainen to take the car to a Tesla dealer for repairs. The news he got was...
Finland PM Apologizes
for Nightclub Visit
Dec 8, 2021 12:55 PM CST
Finland PM Apologizes for Nightclub Visit
The issue was that Sanna Marin had just learned she had been exposed to COVID
- Another politician is issuing a mea culpa around COVID-related behavior. This one comes out of Finland, where Prime Minister Sanna Marin has apologized for going to a nightclub over the weekend after learning her foreign minister had tested positive. As far as slip-ups go, this one wasn't on...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.