Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amid Unprecedented Heat
Wave, London Homes Burn
Jul 20, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Amid Unprecedented Heat Wave, London Homes Burn
At least 40 residences were destroyed by blazes that swept UK's capital, injuring 16 firefighters
- Britain saw its hottest day yet on record Tuesday, soaring past 104 degrees during a heat wave that's taken hold across other parts of Europe as well, but the country's capital was forced to deal with more than just sweating citizens. The London Fire Brigade described a "...
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's
Going to Be a Hot One
Jun 27, 2022 7:07 AM CDT
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's Going to Be a Hot One
Government asks 37M residents to use less electricity to avoid power outages amid heat wave
- Temps in Japan usually hover below 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the month of June, but a heat wave that's descended upon Tokyo and surrounding areas has led the government to plead with 37 million residents to switch off their lights to avoid power outages. The BBC reports that the...
Sicily May Have Just Broken
Temp Record for All of Europe
Aug 12, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Sicily May Have Just Broken Temp Record for All of Europe
But the 48.8C temp must still be confirmed
- Sicily reached a difficult-to-imagine 48.8 degrees Celsius (119.85 Fahrenheit) Wednesday, in what may be a record high temperature for all of Europe. The World Meteorological Organization must still confirm the temperature, which would break the previous record of 48 degrees Celsius set in Athens in 1977, the
California, Get Ready to Sweat
Jul 8, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
California, Get Ready to Sweat
Death Valley could hit 130 degrees over the weekend amid new heatwave
- California, already facing drought, wildfires, and high temperatures, is now in for a new, potentially record-setting heatwave. Temperatures in inland regions will climb into the triple digits into the weekend, with possible highs of 120 degrees Fahrenheit in some areas, per the
Los Angeles Times
. The National Weather...
This Is the Hottest Temperature
Ever Recorded in Canada
Jun 28, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
This Is the Hottest Temperature Ever Recorded in Canada
Nearly 115 degrees Fahrenheit, in the village of Lytton on Sunday
- The village of Lytton in the interior of southern British Columbia sizzled under a new all-time high temperature for Canada on Sunday, reaching 46.1 degrees Celsius, or just under 115 degrees Fahrenheit. The reading by Environment Canada in Lytton surpassed the previous national high of 45 C (113 F),...
Unusual Heat Wave Sets
Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Oct 10, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Unusual Heat Wave Sets Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Wildfires, mass evacuations, and detonating land mines in the Middle East
- Wildfires around the Middle East triggered by a heat wave hitting the region have killed two people, forced thousands of people to leave their homes, and detonated land mines along the Lebanon-Israel border, state media and officials said Saturday. The areas hit by the heat wave are Syria, Lebanon, Israel,...
Jul 30, 2020 12:57 AM CDT
Baghdad Sets New Blistering Heat Record
It was 125.2 degrees on Tuesday
- Baghdad hit 125.2 degrees Tuesday, the highest temperature ever recorded for the city in Iraq. The Middle East is in the midst of a heat wave, and on Wednesday, Baghdad hit its second-highest temperature ever: 124 degrees. The previous record, set in July 2015, was 123.8, the
A Continent Experiences
Its Hottest Day on Record
in case you missed it
Dec 21, 2019 11:35 AM CST
A Continent Experiences Its Hottest Day on Record
Average temp in Australia on Tuesday was 105 degrees Fahrenheit
- Australia experienced its hottest day on record and temperatures are expected to soar even higher as heatwave conditions embrace most of the country. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology said the average temperature across the country of 105 degrees Fahrenheit Tuesday beat the record of 104 degrees Fahrenheit from Jan. 7,...
Temperature in Paris
Climbs to a Record 108
Jul 25, 2019 1:58 PM CDT
Temperature in Paris Climbs to a Record 108
As heat records are broken all across Europe
- All-time heat records are being set across Europe as the continent deals with its second summer heat wave . Paris hit a record high of 108.7 degrees Fahrenheit Thursday, as tourists streamed to any body of water they could find to escape the heat,
reports. All-time records were...
Animals Burn After
Manure Pile Self-Combusts
Jun 28, 2019 7:52 AM CDT
Animals Burn After Manure Pile Self-Combusts
Wildfire reportedly sparked by chicken manure continues to rage in Spain
- A pile of chicken manure is believed to have spontaneously combusted Wednesday in Spain, sparking a wildfire that has killed hundreds of sheep and other animals and forced some 50 people from their homes. Authorities believe the manure on a farm in the Catalonia village of Torre de l'Espanyol...
France Expected to Break Heat
Record Friday. That's Weird
Jun 26, 2019 12:47 PM CDT
France Expected to Break Heat Record Friday. That's Weird
Weird because heat records are usually set in July or August
- Typically, national record-high temperatures are set in July or August. In some parts of Europe, they are likely to be broken in June. The continent has been hit with an early summer heat wave, and some are predicting temperatures could reach 45C (113F) in certain parts of France Friday. The...
'Mass Mortality' Hits
Great Barrier Reef,
Apr 19, 2018 7:24 AM CDT
'Mass Mortality' Hits Great Barrier Reef, Shocks Scientists
'Unprecedented bleaching event' killed off half the coral there over 2 years
- An "unprecedented" bleaching event struck the Great Barrier Reef in 2016, with perilously high temperatures affecting the 1,400-mile-long stretch of coral. The
notes we already knew that this occurred , but that the toll is just now being fully understood: It describes a new study published in the...
Can Kill You
in 27 Ways
Nov 12, 2017 12:45 PM CST
A Heatwave Can Kill You in 27 Ways
Your organs can be screwed in more ways than one
- "Dying during a heatwave is like a terror movie with 27 bad endings to choose from," says Camilo Mora in a press release— and the Hawaiian researcher has detailed exactly what those 27 ways are. The 21st century has already experienced a rash of deadly heatwaves, from the...
Apr 30, 2016 10:28 AM CDT
Daytime Cooking Banned During Deadly Indian Heatwave
Fires, mostly from cooking, have killed dozens
- Faced with deadly fires during a blistering weeks-long heatwave, one Indian state has made the "unprecedented" move of banning daytime cooking, the
reports. "After a review of fire incidents, we've seen that most of them were caused by cooking fires," a senior disaster management official...
Swiss Army Deploys
—to Spare the Beef
Jul 21, 2015 11:00 AM CDT
Swiss Army Deploys —to Spare the Beef
Cows are facing a weeklong heat wave, you see
- Cows sizzling under Switzerland's summer sun are getting help from an unexpected ally: the Swiss army. Soldiers have been ordered to help keep cows in the far west of the country cool amid a weeklong heat wave. Army spokesman Urs Mueller says troops are erecting eight artificial reservoirs in...
100K Dead Bats
Drop From Sky
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 12, 2014 7:35 AM CST
100K Dead Bats Drop From Sky in Australia
Heat overtakes 'flying foxes'
- As the US emerged from that whole "polar vortex," Australia saw an intense heatwave last weekend—leading to the deaths of 100,000 bats, many of which reportedly dropped from the sky. In one video that went viral, a man filmed what he estimated to be more than...
Aug 5, 2012 6:30 PM CDT
NASA Scientist: Global Warming Behind Killer Heat Waves
James Hansen hammers away with statistical analysis
- The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the US and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare that it can't be anything but man-made global warming, says a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist. The research by a man often called...
Heat, Drought Savaging
Jul 26, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
Heat, Drought Savaging US Infrastructure
Roads crack, nuclear plants shut down as weather grows extreme
- Farming isn't the only thing being devastated by the country's ongoing drought—much of the US' infrastructure is getting pounded, too, as the record-setting heat takes its toll on concrete, steel, and pavement, reports the
New York Times
. In Washington, DC, 100-degree temperatures caused a subway to...
Bad News for
Food Prices as
Corn Crop Shrivels
Jul 5, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
Bad News for Food Prices as Corn Crop Shrivels
This was supposed to be the best harvest in generations
- This year saw the largest corn planting in 75 years, and only two months ago, experts predicted a record corn harvest that would send food prices downward. But those high hopes have given way to murmurs about the drought of 1988 ... and the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. Portions of...
Jul 2, 2012 6:33 PM CDT
Climate Change Caused Wildfires
Warmer temperatures leave states susceptible to record fires
- Officially, lightning and suspected arson caused Colorado's record wildfires—but scientists say the real culprit is climate change. The science is simple: Warmer temperatures diminish winter snow and kill off spring rain, leaving state land a parched tinder box ready to go up in flames. And Colorado is not...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.