Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navy Suspects It Heard
Jun 22, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
Navy Suspects It Heard Submersible's Implosion
Sound was detected Sunday hours into the Titan's voyage
- Shortly after communication with the Titan was lost on Sunday, the US Navy began listening for the submersible. Hours into the sub's trip to the Titanic wreckage, the military's acoustic detection system heard what officials suspect was the craft's fatal implosion,
the Wall Street Journal
Doomed Titanic Sub
Jun 22, 2023 2:34 PM CDT
'Catastrophic Implosion' Doomed Titanic Sub
Debris is recovered on the ocean floor near the Titanic
- Those hoping for the safe return of the five people lost in a submersible in the North Atlantic rooted for a miracle on Thursday. It did not come. First, the US Coast Guard announced the discovery of a debris field on the ocean floor near the Titanic. Then OceanGate, the...
Sub Used to Take Tourists
to Titanic Goes Missing
Jun 19, 2023 11:32 AM CDT
Sub Used to Take Tourists to Titanic Goes Missing
No word on how many passengers, if any, were aboard
- A search and rescue mission is underway in the Atlantic Ocean after a submersible used to explore the wreck of the Titanic was reported missing. CBS News confirmed by way of the US Coast Guard in Boston that the operation is currently happening off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. It'...
S. Koreans Are Nervous. Enter
the 'Washington Declaration'
Apr 26, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
S. Koreans Are Nervous. Enter the 'Washington Declaration'
It reaffirms the US commitment to protect the country and deter the North
- The US hasn't docked a nuclear ballistic missile submarine in South Korean waters since the 1980s. That's about to change under the "Washington Declaration," which President Biden and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol are set to announce Wednesday. The agreement outlines stepped-up deterrence commitments the...
On This Narco-Sub:
4 People, 2 of Them Dead
Mar 14, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
On This Narco-Sub: 4 People, 2 of Them Dead
The Colombian navy said it recovered nearly 6K pounds of cocaine from the vessel
- Some 6 million doses of cocaine likely headed for Central America have been intercepted by authorities—along with two bodies. The Colombian navy on Sunday said it seized a 50-foot submarine in the Pacific that was ferrying 5,800 pounds of cocaine valued at upwards of $87 million. Four people...
Mar 14, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
China Isn't Thrilled With US' Nuclear Sub Deal
US and UK teaming up to provide nuclear subs to Australia in move to counter China in Indo-Pacific
- Three Western allies came together Monday to announce details on what Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese is calling the "biggest single investment in Australia's defense capability in all of its history." It's the AUKUS pact, a deal in which the US and Britain will provide Australia...
Long-Lost US Submarine
Found Off Japan's Coast
Feb 20, 2023 12:24 PM CST
Long-Lost US Submarine Found Off Japan's Coast
USS Albacore sank about 80 years ago, with a crew of 85 sailors
- A US military submarine that disappeared almost 80 years ago has been discovered off the coast of Japan, reports NPR . The USS Albacore was lost with a crew of 85 sailors on Nov. 7, 1944. The Navy announced that a team using autonomous underwater vehicles discovered the Albacore near the...
Maryland Couple in
Spy Case Plead Guilty, Again
Sep 28, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Maryland Couple in Spy Case Plead Guilty, Again
Original plea agreements for the Toebbes were rejected by judge
- A US Navy nuclear engineer and his wife entered new guilty pleas Tuesday in a case involving an alleged plot to sell secrets about nuclear-powered warships, a month after their previous plea agreements that had called for specific sentencing guidelines were rejected. Jonathan and Diana Toebbe of Annapolis, Maryland, pleaded...
You Don't Have to Be
Crazy Rich to Own a Submarine
Sep 24, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
You Don't Have to Be Crazy Rich to Own a Submarine
Or at least a share of one
- Submarines have been around for roughly 400 years , but it's only in the last few that the rich have thought about owning one, as they might a plane or yacht. In fact, "everyone with a yacht over 150 feet is at least considering one" these days, Erik Hasselman...
N. Korea Accused of Continuing
Its 'Provocative Streak'
May 7, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
N. Korea Accused of Continuing Its 'Provocative Streak'
South Korea says its neighbor launched ballistic missile on Saturday, likely from submarine
- North Korea flight-tested a ballistic missile that was likely fired from a submarine on Saturday, South Korea's military said, continuing a provocative streak in weapons demonstrations that may culminate with a nuclear test in the coming weeks or months. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launch...
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy
Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
Mar 16, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
It had not before been revealed where he and his wife tried to sell secrets
- The US naval engineer and his wife who tried to sell US nuclear secrets approached Brazil with the offer, according to a senior Brazilian official and other people briefed on the probe who spoke to the
New York Times
. Federal prosecutors and other US government officials had kept the nation'...
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy
Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Feb 19, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Diana Toebbe enters guilty plea days after Jonathan Toebbe in plot to sell sub secrets
- A Maryland woman pleaded guilty Friday to her role in a plot with her husband to sell submarine secrets to a foreign country. Diana Toebbe entered the plea in federal court in Martinsburg to one count of conspiracy to communicate restricted data. Prosecutors said they'd seek a prison term...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub
Hit Underwater Mountain
Nov 2, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub Hit Underwater Mountain
USS Connecticut was in the South China Sea at the time
The mystery over an accident involving a US submarine in the South China Sea has been solved: The USS Connecticut smashed into an underwater mountain that wasn't on the charts, reports CBS News . Eleven sailors were injured in the collision last month, and the sub had to sail...
Secrets, Cryptocurrency Still
Missing in Submarine Spy Case
Oct 21, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
Secrets, Cryptocurrency Still Missing in Submarine Spy Case
Jonathan and Diana Toebbe plead not guilty
- Two alleged spies arrested earlier this month are still in jail—and prosecutors say it would be too risky to release Jonathan and Diana Toebbe on bail while the nuclear submarine secrets they are accused of trying to sell to a foreign government are still unaccounted for. At a hearing...
This Might Be
Since Biden Took Office
Oct 19, 2021 2:48 AM CDT
This Might Be North Korea's Biggest Message Since Biden Took Office
It tests what was likely a submarine-launched ballistic missile
- North Korea on Tuesday fired at least one ballistic missile into the sea in what South Korea’s military described as a weapon likely designed for submarine-based launches, marking possibly the most significant demonstration of the North’s military might since President Biden took office. The launch came hours after...
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy,
'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Aug 2, 2021 9:02 AM CDT
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy, 'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Retired Navy skipper sued for release of documents
- The release of about 3,000 pages of documents delving into the deadliest submarine disaster in US history has not yielded any sinister effort to hide the truth, a retired Navy skipper says. Instead, documents show the Navy’s policies and procedures failed to keep pace with fast-moving technological advances...
Heartbreaking Video Shows
Crew of Doomed Sub Singing
Apr 27, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
Heartbreaking Video Shows Crew of Doomed Sub Singing
Farewell song was filmed weeks before Indonesian tragedy
- A heartbreaking video released by the Indonesian military shows the crew of the doomed Indonesian Navy submarine singing a farewell song. The video was shot weeks ago, before the sub went missing Wednesday, its wreckage ultimately found on the sea floor Sunday, split into three pieces, and all 53 crew...
Indonesia Finds Submarine,
Declares the Crew Dead
Apr 25, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Indonesia Finds Submarine, Declares the Crew Dead
53 were aboard the KRI Nanggala, which disappeared Wednesday
- The wreckage of a missing Indonesian Navy submarine with 53 crew members has been located, the military said Sunday. Searchers found items and parts from the submarine, including the anchor and safety suits for crew members, CNN reports. "Based on that authentic proof, I declare here that the Nanggala...
Grim Update From Indonesian
Navy on Missing Submarine
Apr 24, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Grim Update From Indonesian Navy on Missing Submarine
It appears there's no hope for survivors of KRI Nanggala after items from sub were found
- Indonesia's navy on Saturday said items were found from a missing submarine , indicating the vessel with 53 crew members had sunk and there was no hope of finding survivors. Navy chief Yudo Margono said rescuers found several items from the KRI Nanggala 402, which disappeared after its last reported...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.