Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Deaths Mount,
Sep 9, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
As Deaths Mount, Climbing Everest Gets Pricier
Nepal plans to hike the cost of climbing permits
- Nepal is upping the price of its Everest climbing permits—an administrative detail that might not catch much attention, were it not for the size of the increase and the reason behind it. The cost of the permit will jump 36% for foreigners in 2025, from $11,000 to $15,...
Plans to Move Everest
Base Camp Dropped
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Plans to Move Everest Base Camp Dropped
Sherpas not supportive of last year's proposal
- Looks like Everest base camp is staying where it is. Nearly a year after Nepal's tourism ministry announced plans to move it lower down the mountain due to warming temperatures causing the glacier it currently sits on to melt, the plan has been put aside, the BBC reports. Sherpas...
A Hiking Mecca Makes
a Big Rule Change
Mar 12, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
A Hiking Mecca Makes a Big Rule Change
Nepal bans solo hikes
- Hikers who prefer to trek alone will have to scratch a prime destination off their bucket lists: Nepal. The nation is banning foreigners from embarking on solo hikes starting in April, reports the
. The Nepal Tourism Board says it's all about safety because too many solo hiking...
A Grim Repetition
of History for
Jan 18, 2023 10:46 AM CST
A Grim Repetition of History for Co-Pilot in Nepal Crash
Anju Khatiwada's husband died in a crash 16 years prior
- The co-pilot who died Sunday in the crash of Yeti Airlines Flight 691 in Nepal became a pilot after her own husband died in an identical manner 16 years prior, reports the BBC . Anju Khatiwada's husband reportedly died when the Yeti Airlines flight he was co-piloting crashed in June...
No One Expected to Have
Survived Nepal Plane Crash
Jan 16, 2023 2:09 AM CST
No One Expected to Have Survived Nepal Plane Crash
The search continued Monday as an investigation began
- Police are warning that there are unlikely to be any survivors of Sunday's devastating plane crash in Nepal . At least 68 of the 72 people aboard the passenger plane, which crashed in a popular Himalayan tourist area as it attempted to land, were confirmed to have been killed soon...
Plane Crashes in Popular
Himalayan Vacation Town
Jan 15, 2023 5:25 AM CST
Plane Crashes in Popular Himalayan Vacation Town
At least 68 dead as aircraft crashes into gorge in Pokhara, Nepal, popular site for hikers
- A regional passenger plane with 72 people on board crashed into a gorge while landing at a newly opened airport in the resort town of Pokhara in central Nepal on Sunday, killing at least 68, per the AP . Rescuers scoured the crash site near the Seti River, which is about...
in the '70s. Now
Dec 23, 2022 12:51 PM CST
'The Serpent' Killed Backpackers in the '70s. Now He's Free
Admitted serial killer Charles Sobhraj is released from a Nepal prison
- Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for killing American and Canadian backpackers and was taken to the airport for a flight back to Paris, his attorney said. His alleged killings were dramatized in a series co-produced...
Nepal to Free Serial Killer
Who Preyed on Hippies
Dec 21, 2022 3:24 PM CST
Nepal to Free Serial Killer Who Preyed on Hippies
Charles Sobhraj was convicted of killing two backpackers in 1975
- The man known as "the Serpent"—a French serial killer who went after travelers on the "hippie trail" of Southeast Asia in the 1970s—will soon be freed from prison in Nepal. The country's Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered that Charles Sobhraj be released due to...
Hilaree Nelson Given
a Sherpa Cremation
Oct 3, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Hilaree Nelson Given a Sherpa Cremation
The ski mountaineer died in a Sept. 26 fall
- Hilaree Nelson died on Sept. 26 after falling thousands of feet when a small avalanche struck as she skied down the 26,781-foot Manaslu in Nepal. On Sunday, she received a traditional funeral at a Sherpa cremation ground in that country. The AP reports family, friends, mountaineers, and government officials...
Sep 28, 2022 7:16 AM CDT
8th-Highest Peak Claims Pioneering US Mountaineer
Body of Hilaree Nelson recovered from Nepal's Mount Manaslu, from which she fell on Monday
The death of US ski mountaineer Hilaree Nelson has been confirmed with the recovery of her body from the world's eighth-highest peak. The 49-year-old fell down the southern side of Nepal's 26,781-foot Mount Manaslu after leaving the summit on Monday. Her partner, Jim Morrison, who was...
Vindication for Climber Banned
for Faking Everest Summit
Jun 5, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Vindication for Climber Banned for Faking Everest Summit
One week after his ban expired, Narender Singh Yadav made it to the top
An Indian man accused of faking a summit of Everest in 2016 was handed a six-year ban on climbing in Nepal—and just days after its expiration on May 20, he made it to the top of Everest, reports the AFP . Narender Singh Yadav made sure the feat was...
'Very Little Chance'
of Survivors in Nepal Crash
May 30, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
'Very Little Chance' of Survivors in Nepal Crash
Bodies of 20 of 22 passengers recovered in Sunday accident
- The bodies of 20 of the 22 people aboard the Tara Air plane that slammed into the side of a Nepal mountain Sunday have been recovered, and Reuters reports that hopes for the remaining two are dwindling rapidly. "There is very little chance to find survivors," says Deo...
Search Delayed for Plane
in Nepal's Mountains
May 29, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Search Delayed for Plane in Nepal's Mountains
22 people were aboard flight often taken by foreign hikers
- Rescuers zeroed in on a possible location of a passenger plane with 22 people aboard that is feared to have crashed Sunday in cloudy weather in Nepal's mountains, officials said. The Tara Air plane was on a 20-minute scheduled flight from the resort town of Pokhara, 125 miles east...
They've Climbed the
14 Highest Peaks. Now,
a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Dec 13, 2021 8:33 AM CST
They've Climbed the 14 Highest Peaks. Now, a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Nepalese Sherpa brothers set out to climb highest peaks on all 7 continents
- Two brothers who are among Nepal's most famous Sherpa guides set out on Monday to scale the highest peaks on each of the world's seven continents, in a sweeping global trek that will take them across both the North and South poles. Mingma Sherpa and Chhang Dawa Sherpa...
3 Bodies Found Buried
on Peak Near Everest
Nov 9, 2021 1:07 PM CST
3 Bodies Found Buried on Peak Near Everest
They belong to French climbers missing on Kangtega since Oct. 26
- Three French climbers appear to have died in an avalanche on a peak near Mount Everest last month. The bodies of Thomas Arfi, Gabriel Miloche, and Louis Pachoud were recovered from Kangtega mountain in Nepal's remote Solukhumbu district on Monday, a day after they were discovered under more than...
US, Swiss Climbers
Die on Everest
May 13, 2021 4:17 AM CDT
US, Swiss Climbers Die on Everest
They are first to die on mountain since 2019
- Two foreign climbers have become the first to die on Mount Everest since 2019. Expedition organizers say Puwel Lui, a 55-year-old American national, reached the Hillary Step outcrop below the summit but had to turn back due to snow blindness and exhaustion, AFP reports. He was helped back to Camp...
China to Draw
Line on Everest
May 10, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
China to Draw Line on Everest
Government wants its climbers to keep their distance from Nepal's during outbreak
- COVID-19 restrictions have reached the top of the world. After an increase in coronavirus cases on Mount Everest, China plans a "line of separation" at the summit to keep climbers from its side from coming into close contact with climbers from Nepal, the BBC reports. Everest is on the...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
India's Neighbor Sees
Deadly COVID Flare-Up
May 6, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
India's Neighbor Sees Deadly COVID Flare-Up
Signs indicate impending crisis in Nepal could be worse than in India
- Coronavirus isn't just spreading at Nepal's Everest Base Camp , but across the country, and in numbers that suggest it could be headed for a worse crisis than in neighboring India . Within a month, Nepal has gone from 100 daily COVID-19 cases to 8,600. That's about the...
At Everest Base Camp,
May 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
At Everest Base Camp, 'Coughing Everywhere'
Some think Nepal is hiding real numbers of coronavirus cases to keep mountain open
- This is the peak time of year to climb Mount Everest, before monsoon season hits. But the
notes 2021's climbing season may now be up in the air, as a COVID outbreak at the base camp in Nepal has led to "many" infections in a country already...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.