Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New Jobs Number Is Way Stronger Than Estimates
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Texas Surgeon Was
Charming—and a 'Monster'
Sep 24, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
The Texas Surgeon Was Charming—and a 'Monster'
The 'Texas Observer' reports on Dr. Eric Heston Scheffey
- "Looking at Dr. Scheffey, one isn't likely to think he's a monster. But he was a monster." That's how retired personal injury attorney Priscilla Walters describes Dr. Eric Heston Scheffey, and she's not the only person to speak in such terms about him. She...
Hundreds of Suits Blame
Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Jul 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Hundreds of Suits Blame Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Patients say Florida hospital ignored their complaints
- Lucinda Bonk went into surgery in September 2018 optimistic about receiving a new hip. But the procedure took longer than expected; Dr. Richard David Heekin had somehow severely fractured Bonk's thigh bone during the operation, a lawsuit says. He tried to repair it while in surgery, but the 70-year-old...
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to
Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
France's Emmanuel Masmejean is accused of trying to sell patient's X-ray as an NFT
- All kinds of things have been turned into non-fungible tokens , or NFTs, but the craze has taken a disturbing turn that has a French doctor now facing legal action. AFP reports that Emmanuel Masmejean, a senior orthopedic surgeon at Paris' Georges Pompidou public hospital, is accused of trying to sell...
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
Woman Who Nixed Restraining
Order on Husband Found Dead
May 18, 2020 8:41 AM CDT
Woman Who Nixed Restraining Order on Husband Found Dead
Body of Kathleen McLean, 45, found near Mass. home she shared with doctor Ingolf Tuerk
- A Massachusetts doctor has been arrested and charged with murder after his wife's body was found near their property Saturday night. CBS Boston reports that the remains of Kathleen McLean, 45, were discovered by cops not far from the Dover home she shared with her husband of five months,...
Can't Pay for Surgery? This
Doctor Has a Creative Solution
Jan 24, 2020 9:49 AM CST
Can't Pay for Surgery? This Doctor Has a Creative Solution
Demetrio Aguila lets eligible patients put in volunteer hours for operations
- "Who are my heroes? Who are the people I look at and say, 'That's who I want to be'?" For Demetrio Aguila, a Nebraska surgeon specializing in nerve pain, the answer to his own question is his father, also a physician—and one who loved helping...
'Surgeon to the
Stars' Dies at 98
Oct 11, 2019 8:38 AM CDT
'Surgeon to the Stars' Dies at 98
Bjorn Thorbjarnarson was sued after gallbladder operation on Andy Warhol
- Some called him a "surgeon to the stars" ; most knew him as the doctor at the center of the controversy over Andy Warhol's death. Now, Bjorn Thorbjarnarson is once more in headlines, this time for his own passing at the age of 98. The New York surgeon's...
Doctor Wins Right to Keep
Name Out of Google Search
Jan 22, 2019 2:11 PM CST
Doctor Wins Right to Keep Name Out of Google Search
Ruling in Dutch 'right to be forgotten' case said to be 'groundbreaking'
- A surgeon has secured what her lawyer calls a "groundbreaking" victory in a case in the Netherlands. The
reports that an Amsterdam district court has ruled that the doctor, who's still practicing under a conditional suspension after some postoperative issues with a patient, can force Google to...
Surgeon Who Removed
Sep 20, 2018 1:44 AM CDT
Surgeon Who Removed Healthy Kidney Denies Negligence
He was supposed to remove woman's adrenal gland
- A South Dakota surgeon admitted to mistakenly removing an Iowa woman's healthy kidney but denied that he breached the standard of care, according to the surgeon's response to a lawsuit filed by the patient. Dr. Scott Baker and the Surgical Institute of South Dakota acknowledged in an answer...
British Surgeon Branded
Initials on Transplant Livers
Dec 14, 2017 2:21 AM CST
British Surgeon Branded Initials on Transplant Livers
Simon Bramhall has pleaded guilty to assault
- When you're an artist, it's considered customary to sign your work. When you're a surgeon, it's considered bizarre and illegal. Renowned British surgeon Simon Bramhall, who branded his initials on the livers of at least two transplant patients in 2013, pleaded guilty to assault Wednesday, the...
Suit: Doc Took Test on Phone
During Woman's Surgery
Dec 8, 2017 1:00 PM CST
Suit: Doc Took Test on Phone During Woman's Surgery
Woman says doctor told her later that he was taking a language test
- A suburban New York City woman has sued a doctor, claiming he used his cellphone to take a language test while operating on her, per the AP . The
reports 70-year-old Mary Edwards of Port Chester filed a lawsuit Monday in state Supreme Court against Dr. Eric Fishman and...
Court May Grant
May 18, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Court May Grant 'Extraordinary' Student Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Card
She may not be punished for stabbing her boyfriend
- An Oxford University student who admitted to stabbing her boyfriend may avoid jail time after a judge determined that legal consequences could damage her future career as a surgeon. According to the
, last year Lavinia Woodward punched and then stabbed her then-boyfriend in the leg with a bread knife...
2 Nobel Judges Fired as
'Biggest Scandal' Roils Sweden
Sep 7, 2016 11:45 AM CDT
2 Nobel Judges Fired as 'Biggest Scandal' Roils Sweden
Entire board at Karolinska Institute dismissed over disgraced surgeon
- The medical university that awards the Nobel Prize for Medicine was rocked this week after an investigation presented Monday showed negligence in the hiring and handling of a now-disgraced stem-cell surgeon, Reuters and the
report. Dr. Paolo Macchiarini was fired from the Karolinska Institute in March after it emerged...
Nov 15, 2014 4:10 PM CST
Surgeon With Ebola Arrives in Nebraska for Treatment
Martin Salia may be sicker than previous US patients
- A surgeon who contracted Ebola while working in Sierra Leone arrived in Nebraska today for treatment at a biocontainment unit where two other people with the disease have been successfully treated. Dr. Martin Salia, who was diagnosed with Ebola on Monday, landed at Eppley Airfield in Omaha this afternoon and...
Nebraska to Get
Its 3rd Ebola Patient
Nov 14, 2014 3:00 AM CST
Nebraska to Get Its 3rd Ebola Patient
A US surgeon originally from Sierra Leone contracted the disease there
- At least five doctors in Sierra Leone—one of three West African nations at the heart of the worst Ebola outbreak in history—have died after contracting the virus while treating patients. Now a surgeon from Sierra Leone who is a permanent resident of the US is being flown to...
Surgeon Accused of Branding
Initials on Patient's Liver
Dec 25, 2013 4:00 PM CST
Surgeon Accused of Branding Initials on Patient's Liver
UK doctor has been suspended
- When a liver-transplant patient ended up back in the operating room for an unrelated procedure, the surgeon noticed an odd thing: The letters "SB" were branded on the patient's liver. And the name of the doctor who had performed that transplant? Simon Bramhall. Sure, it might be a...
Volunteer Surgeon Held
by Syria Is Dead
Dec 17, 2013 2:22 PM CST
Volunteer Surgeon Held by Syria Is Dead
UK's Abbas Khan was due to be released this week
- A young British doctor who traveled to Syria as a volunteer to treat civilians is dead under suspicious circumstances after more than a year in custody, reports the
. The official story is that surgeon Abbas Khan, 32, hanged himself in his cell with his pajama bottoms, reports the...
Koop Dead at 96
Feb 25, 2013 6:15 PM CST
Ex-Surgeon General Koop Dead at 96
Conservative shocked America by spreading information on AIDS
- C. Everett Koop, the best-known surgeon general of the 20th century, died today in Hanover, NH, at the age of 96, the
reports. Recognized for his appearance—an epauleted uniform and grim expression that harked back to the Civil War—he also waged a fierce war on tobacco...
First Organ Transplant Doctor Dead at 93
Nov 27, 2012 1:18 AM CST
First Organ Transplant Doctor Dead at 93
Dr. Joseph Murray won Nobel for pioneering work
- Tens of thousands of people alive today owe their lives to techniques pioneered by Dr. Joseph Murray, who has died at the age of 93 in the same Boston hospital where he carried out the world's first successful human organ transplant. Murray made history in 1954 when he transplanted...
Aug 7, 2012 1:28 AM CDT
Surgeon Dies Saving Boys
Renowned pediatric doc raced to rescue kids from lake
- After a career spent saving children's lives as a pediatric surgeon, Dr. Donald Liu's final act was to rescue two boys from Lake Michigan. Liu, chief surgeon at the University of Chicago’s Comer Children’s Hospital, raced to the rescue when he saw the boys struggling after...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.