Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Leg at NCAA
Apr 10, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Senator Breaks Leg at NCAA Championship Victory Parade
Fellow paradegoer fell on Richard Blumenthal
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal was at the victory parade celebrating the University of Connecticut men's basketball team winning the NCAA championship when a fellow parade attendee tripped and fell on the Connecticut Democrat. Blumenthal broke his leg in the Saturday incident, tweeting, "What can I say, I love a...
'One of Most Impressive
March Madness Runs in
History' Is Complete
Apr 3, 2023 11:09 PM CDT
'One of Most Impressive March Madness Runs in History' Is Complete
UConn beats SDSU to win
- UConn topped off one of the most impressive March Madness runs in history Monday night, clamping down early and breaking it open late to bring home its fifth national title with a 76-59 victory over San Diego State, the AP reports. Adama Sanogo had 17 points and 10 rebounds and...
This Is the First Time
in 5 Decades This Has
Happened at Final Four
Mar 27, 2023 12:06 AM CDT
This Is the First Time in 5 Decades This Has Happened at Final Four
Three first-time teams show up in the same year
- Everyone's heard of UConn. All these other guys? They'll need name tags at the Final Four. When they travel to Houston next week to play for the national title, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State, and Miami will be making their first appearances at college basketball's grand finale,...
Basketball Tourney Goes From
'Madness' to 'Unprecedented'
Mar 25, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Basketball Tourney Goes From 'Madness' to 'Unprecedented'
After Alabama, Houston losses, no No. 1 seeds will advance to Elite 8 for first time ever
- March has gone from madness to unprecedented. With Miami's win over Houston and San Diego State's takedown of Alabama on Friday night, the men's NCAA Tournament won't have a No. 1 seed in the Elite Eight for the first time since seeding began in 1979. "...
'One of the Biggest Upsets' in
NCAA History Just Went Down
Mar 18, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
'One of the Biggest Upsets' in NCAA History Just Went Down
No. 16 Fairleigh Dickinson takes out No. 1 seed Purdue in March Madness tournament
- Fairleigh Dickinson brought down a giant. Pulling off one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history, the undersized underdog Knights stunned top-seeded Purdue 63-58 on Friday night, becoming the second No. 16 seed to win a game in March Madness, per the AP . The shortest of the 363 Division...
This Year's Biggest
Snub in NCAA Bracket
Mar 13, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
This Year's Biggest Snub in NCAA Bracket
Rutgers men are out
- For college basketball fans, it's a great time of year. Unless, this year, those fans happen to root for Rutgers. The NCAA unveiled its 2023 bracket for March Madness over the weekend, and Rutgers didn't make the cut among the men's teams. In the eyes of the...
Hall of Famer's
Mar 8, 2023 7:10 PM CST
Hall of Famer's 47-Year Tenure Ends Quickly
Syracuse announces Hall of Famer's replacement without ceremony
- Basketball Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim's 47-year tenure as men's basketball coach at Syracuse University came to an awkward end on Wednesday, less than three hours after his team lost to Wake Forest in their conference tournament. Boeheim hinted at retirement after the game, the AP reports, while...
Texas Basketball Coach
Charged With Domestic Assault
Dec 12, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Texas Basketball Coach Charged With Domestic Assault
Chris Beard's lawyer calls arrest 'truly inconceivable'
- University of Texas men's basketball head coach Chris Beard was arrested and taken to jail early Monday after a report of a domestic assault. The Travis County Sheriff's Office says the 49-year-old was charged with assault on a family or household member/impeding breath circulation, the Athletic reports. A...
Kansas Pulls Off
Apr 5, 2022 12:14 AM CDT
Kansas Pulls Off Biggest-Ever NCAA Championship Comeback
Erases 16-point deficit to win the title
- What looked like a lost cause turned into one of the sweetest wins ever for Kansas. The Jayhawks brought their fourth NCAA title back to Allen Fieldhouse on Monday thanks to a second-half flurry that erased a 16-point deficit and eventually overcame North Carolina 72-69 in an epic battle of...
In Thrill-a-Minute Game,
UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Apr 3, 2022 5:21 AM CDT
In Thrill-a-Minute Game, UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Mike Krzyzewski's career ends with 81-77 loss
- For the 48th time over 47 years of unparalleled coaching, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski took the slow walk to midcourt and shook the hand of North Carolina's coach who beat him. This was the 258th, most consequential and maybe, just maybe, the very best meeting between these teams, whose...
Run Is Over
Mar 27, 2022 9:39 PM CDT
Saint Peter's Incredible March Madness Run Is Over
New Jersey school loses to North Carolina
- Saint Peter's coach Shaheen Holloway pulled his starters off the court as the seconds ticked down and would not let them wallow in defeat. The Peacocks locked arms for one final team huddle—Doug Edert, KC Ndefo, Daryl Banks III and the rest of the bracket-busters who put the...
For Only 10th Time Ever,
a No. 15 Seed Advances
Mar 17, 2022 9:11 PM CDT
For Only 10th Time Ever, a No. 15 Seed Advances
Introducing the Saint Peter's Peacocks, this year's Cinderella
- Saint who? This year's NCAA tournament saw its first major upset Thursday night when the No. 15 seed Saint Peter's Peacocks stunned No. 2 Kentucky in overtime, 85-79, per ESPN . The Peacocks represent Saint Peter's University in New Jersey, and they just upended a lot of brackets....
Supreme Court Sides With
College Athletes on Benefits
Jun 21, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With College Athletes on Benefits
Ruling could make it easier for them to be compensated for non-tuition expenses
- In a ruling that could push changes in college athletics, the Supreme Court on Monday unanimously sided with a group of former college athletes over rules limiting certain compensation. The high court ruled that NCAA limits on the education-related benefits that colleges can offer athletes who play Division I basketball...
Sources: Krzyzewski's 42nd
Season at Duke to Be His Last
Jun 2, 2021 1:59 PM CDT
Sources: Krzyzewski's 42nd Season at Duke to Be His Last
Blue Devils basketball coach reportedly plans to retire when season is done
- A shockwave rippled through the college basketball world on Wednesday with sources saying that the 2021-2022 season—Mike Krzyzewski's 42nd—will be his last as coach of Duke University's Blue Devils. ESPN says it confirmed the news via multiple sources who said that associate head coach Jon Scheyer...
Baylor Ends Gonzaga's
Apr 6, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Baylor Ends Gonzaga's Perfect Season
The Bears win their first NCAA men's basketball championship
- Baylor knew it would need to play to near-perfection to end Gonzaga's flawless season. The Bears just about did. Jared Butler and their dynamic backcourt hit their first five 3-pointers and never cooled off. Undersized big man Mark Vital delivered as many headaches as bruises. Their bench was superb,...
He Carried Team to NCAA
Tournament, Died Days Later
Mar 26, 2021 10:07 AM CDT
He Carried Team to NCAA Tournament, Died Days Later
Oscar Frayer, sister die in car accident, just like their father
- A basketball player from Grand Canyon University has died days after playing in his first NCAA tournament. California native Oscar Frayer, 23—who lost his father in a car accident when he was only 7—died in a Tuesday car accident that also killed his older sister, 28-year-old Andrea Moore,...
To Get to Sweet 16,
Needed a Lift From His Kid
Mar 22, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
To Get to Sweet 16, Legendary Boeheim Needed a Lift From His Kid
Buddy Boeheim helps carry Syracuse Orange forward
- Buddy Boeheim kept shooting, carrying his Hall of Fame father and 11th-seeded Syracuse back into the Sweet 16. The Orange, a top program for four decades under Jim Boeheim, once again showed they're just as dangerous as an NCAA Tournament afterthought. “To win two games and be doubted...
NCAA Answers Women
on Unequal Weight Rooms
Mar 20, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
NCAA Answers Women on Unequal Weight Rooms
Discussion expands to different treatment for men's, women's tournaments
- NCAA basketball administrators apologized to women's basketball players and coaches after inequities between the men's and women's tournaments went viral on social media and vowed to do better. NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt vowed to do better during a Zoom call Friday, the AP...
Creighton Players Make Video
Explaining 'Plantation' Outrage
Mar 7, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Creighton Players Make Video Explaining 'Plantation' Outrage
Their coach made some shocking post-loss remarks
- Five Creighton basketball players explained in a short pregame video Saturday why they were hurt by coach Greg McDermott's remarks in his locker room talk following a loss last weekend, per the AP . A sixth player who didn't speak in the video, star guard Marcus Zegarowski, said after...
Creighton Coach Apologizes for
'Terribly Inappropriate' Remark
Mar 3, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Creighton Coach Apologizes for 'Terribly Inappropriate' Remark
Greg McDermott pleaded with basketball players to 'stay on the plantation'
- Creighton coach Greg McDermott apologized Tuesday for urging his players to "stay on the plantation" in a postgame locker room talk following a weekend loss. In a statement posted on Twitter , McDermott said he used a "terribly inappropriate analogy in making a point about staying together as a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.