Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
80 Looters Hit
Nov 22, 2021 6:54 AM CST
80 Looters Hit Nordstrom Store in California
The day after other lootings nearby
- About 80 people, some wearing ski masks and wielding crowbars, ransacked a high-end department store in the San Francisco Bay Area, assaulting employees and stealing merchandise before fleeing in cars waiting outside, police and witnesses said. Three people were arrested while the majority got away after the large-scale theft Saturday...
Bulldozers, Looting Reported
at Mexico's Teotihuacan
May 26, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
Bulldozers, Looting Reported at Mexico's Teotihuacan
Private building crews said to have chased away cops
- Mexico's government says private building crews are refusing to stop work that threatens one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country, ancient Teotihuacan. At least 25 structures at the protected pre-Aztec site boasting twin pyramids and "hundreds of smaller, more remote, and often unexplored sites "...
Kim Kardashian Entangled
in Case of 'Looted' Statue
May 5, 2021 2:01 PM CDT
Kim Kardashian Entangled in Case of 'Looted' Statue
A rep for the celeb says she was unaware of its purchase
- Here's an odd story involving an ancient Roman statue, alleged smuggling, and the name Kim Kardashian. As NBC News reports, in 2016 said statue arrived at the Port of Los Angeles, with the buyer designated as "Kim Kardashian dba Noel Roberts Trust." It was sold by Belgian...
Looter in Viral
Pic in Pelosi's
Jan 7, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Looter in Viral Pic in Pelosi's Office Left Profane Note
Richard Barnett of Gravette, Ark., says he also took a souvenir but that he paid for it
- Amid the pro-Trump riot that left four dead in the nation's capital Wednesday was plenty of looting, and per the
New York Times
, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office was an especially popular target. One man in particular—seen in a picture that's now gone viral, lounging in...
to the Ground
After Kenosha Shooting
Aug 25, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Buildings Burn to the Ground After Kenosha Shooting
Tear gas deployed during 2nd night of protests
- Tear gas was deployed on protesters who defied a curfew in Kenosha, Wis., on Monday, taking to the streets for a second night following the police shooting of Jacob Blake , now in serious but stable condition. Hundreds of protesters lingered near the courthouse beyond the 8pm curfew, shouting at police...
As He Fought a California Fire,
an 'Absolutely Disgusting' Act
Aug 24, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
As He Fought a California Fire, an 'Absolutely Disgusting' Act
Firefighter's wallet stolen, account drained while he worked; looters also break into evacuated homes
- While some firefighting crews are working 72-hour shifts to battle the massive blazes now ravaging California, opportunists are taking advantage of both those on the front lines and residents affected by the fires. "Absolutely disgusting behavior," "saddening," and "sickening" is how fire officials are describing...
Report: 'Caravans' of Looters
Drove Into Downtown Chicago
Aug 10, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
Report: 'Caravans' of Looters Drove Into Downtown Chicago
More than 100 alleged looters were arrested by 9am
- "We are waking up in shock this morning," Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said of the unrest and looting that plagued part of downtown in the wee hours of Monday. She referred to the damage done as "straight-up felony criminal conduct" that was totally unrelated to the "...
Looting, Police Clashes
Hit Chicago's Magnificent Mile
Aug 10, 2020 7:25 AM CDT
Looting, Police Clashes Hit Chicago's Magnificent Mile
Shots were apparently fired at officers at one point
- Chicago is waking up from a chaotic and violent Sunday that saw widespread looting and clashes with police along the city's Magnificent Mile shopping district downtown. At one point, around 4:30am, police say shots were fired at officers, and they returned fire, reports the
. No officers...
Jun 4, 2020 1:50 PM CDT
YouTuber Charged After Looting at Mall
Arizona police accuse Jake Paul of trespassing, not stealing anything
- YouTuber Jake Paul is facing charges after videos emerged showing him present during the looting of a mall in Arizona. However, the 23-year-old is not accused of stealing anything from Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall on May 30. Instead, police charged him with criminal trespass and unlawful assembly, which are misdemeanors,...
Here's the Curfew Situation
May 31, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Here's the Curfew Situation
Curfews are extended in cities across the country
- Cities are reimposing curfews as they prepare for another round of "I Can't Breathe" protests, NBC News reports. CNN notes that over 20 cities have established curfews and roughly 5,000 National Guard members have been activated in 15 states and Washington, DC. Texas and Virginia have also...
Guy Attacks 'Looters'
With a Sword. It Ends Badly
May 31, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
Guy Attacks 'Looters' With a Sword. It Ends Badly
Other Saturday incidents include a cop restraining a protester with a knee on his neck
- A man who went after Dallas protesters with a sword Saturday is now hospitalized in stable condition after a vicious beating—and the whole thing is caught on video, CBS Dallas Fort-Worth reports. In the tweeted video (WARNING: violence) he can be seen screaming and chasing protesters away. But only...
in the Bahamas
Sep 5, 2019 3:47 AM CDT
'Generational Devastation' in the Bahamas
Dorian death toll of 20 is expected to rise
- Hurricane Dorian has now moved away from the Bahamas, leaving chaos, devastation, and at least 20 dead behind it. Bahamas Health Minister Duane Sands tells NBC that the death toll is expected to rise significantly when searches of hard-hit remote areas are completed. "We've had an absolute horrendous...
As Calif. Fires Rage, Pink's
Husband Threatens Looters
Nov 14, 2018 8:33 AM CST
As Calif. Fires Rage, Pink's Husband Threatens Looters
Carey Hart's Instagram photo is raising eyebrows
- It's usually Pink who's making headlines , but the pop singer's husband has found his way to more than a few over to his response to the California wildfires . Per ET.com , Carey Hart is the center of new controversy over a photo he posted on Instagram Tuesday...
Suspects Accused of Looting
Evacuated Homes in California
Jul 30, 2018 2:42 AM CDT
Suspects Accused of Looting Evacuated Homes in California
Carr fire has started to slow down
- Authorities in California have arrested two people on suspicion of looting homes that had been evacuated due to an explosive wildfire. The
reports that 25-year-old Jade Ball and 19-year-old Jack Fannin, of Redding, were found with what police said was evidence tying them to several burglaries. The Carr...
Why Met Museum's Vase Is
Sitting in an Evidence Room
Aug 1, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Why Met Museum's Vase Is Sitting in an Evidence Room
The Met bought it at Sotheby's, but it may have been looted from a grave
- For 2,300 years, the painted vase has shown a scene involving the god Dionysus. For just under 30 of those years, it's been in the possession of the Metropolitan Museum of Art—and for the last week or so, it's been stored in the evidence room of...
Venezuela's Leader Blames
'Macabre' Obama Plan
for Looting, Riots
Dec 19, 2016 12:33 AM CST
Venezuela's Leader Blames 'Macabre' Obama Plan for Looting, Riots
He claims decision to scrap bank notes is a triumph
- Venezuela's president said Sunday that the sudden decision to scrap the country's most-used currency bill was an economic triumph over the country's enemies even as the government sent troops and police to cities where riots and looting broke out over the measure. In a national radio and...
Major Civil War Battlefield
Is Now a Crime Scene
May 30, 2016 1:02 PM CDT
Major Civil War Battlefield Is Now a Crime Scene
Looting a federal battlefield is a crime that can carry a $20K fine, 2 years in prison
- Just days before the area's major commemorative events linked to Memorial Day, the National Park Service has announced that Virginia's Petersburg National Battlefield is an "active crime scene," reports CNN. "Earlier this week, one of the park employees was out doing landscape work and noticed...
Why a Crazy Amount
of Drugs Just Flooded
Jun 4, 2015 11:55 AM CDT
Why a Crazy Amount of Drugs Just Flooded Baltimore's Streets
Enough drugs out there to keep city 'intoxicated for a year': commissioner
- The unrest in Baltimore that took place in late April after the death of Freddie Gray veered into violence and looting , and some of the effects of that are just now being made clear. The
reports "an extraordinary amount" of drugs were taken from 27 of the...
Locals Sweep Up
Apr 28, 2015 2:05 PM CDT
Locals Sweep Up Shattered Baltimore
Volunteers come together to clean up damage from yesterday's violence
- Some Baltimore residents aren't standing by idly in the mess after yesterday's violence . Volunteers took to the streets today to clean up their "Comeback City." Gawker has culled a series of tweets showing images of helpers picking up debris on the roads and sidewalks, sweeping up...
Cops Bust 4
Nov 10, 2013 10:20 AM CST
Cops Bust 4 With Looting Costa Concordia
Men were employed by company hired to salvage the wreck
- It seems that there's no rest for the wreckage of the recently raised Costa Concordia : Italian police busted four divers employed by Titan, the group tasked with salvaging the cruiseship, and will be charging them with looting, reports Sky News . The men were spotted via CCTV on the eighth...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.