Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Liz Truss Didn't
Jun 19, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Liz Truss Didn't Find Lettuce Joke Amusing
UK news media covers people over policy, former prime minister says
- Liz Truss said Monday that she didn't find the running gag about a head of lettuce lasting longer than her 44-day reign as UK prime minister funny, and she seemed to not appreciate being asked about it, either. The
, a British tabloid, had bought a head of...
These 2 Photos Were
Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
Oct 25, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
These 2 Photos Were Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
A lot has happened in Britain in the interim
- They're two photos taken exactly seven weeks apart, capturing the traditional and ceremonial rites of the monarch meeting the British prime minister-in-waiting to ask them to form a new government. They're also bookends, per the AP . Between the taking of the first and of the second, much elapsed,...
Truss Is Unapologetic
as She Says Goodbye
Oct 25, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Truss Is Unapologetic as She Says Goodbye
BBC describes her as 'defiant' about her policies as she hands over reins to Rishi Sunak in Britain
- She may have lasted in office for only six tumultuous weeks, but Liz Truss did not exactly offer a mea culpa as she formally stepped down as Britain's prime minister on Tuesday. The BBC describes her short farewell address as "unapologetic" and "defiant" as she stood by...
UK's Next Leader
Is a Historic One
Oct 24, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
UK's Next Leader Is a Historic One
Former finance minister Rishi Sunak will be first minister of color in the UK
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
Britain's next prime minister will be 42-year-old Rishi Sunak. The former finance minister's path to victory improved dramatically on Sunday when Boris Johnson dropped out , then became a lock on Monday when his last challenger—fellow Conservative Penny...
Believe It or
Not, Some World
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Believe It or Not, Some World Leaders Lasted Just Minutes
Liz Truss made it only 45 days as UK prime minister, but others have her beat
- Liz Truss didn't even make it two months into her stint as British prime minister, announcing her resignation Thursday amid economic turmoil in the United Kingdom. That makes her the shortest-serving PM in the nation's history. While most world leaders usually stick it out for far longer than...
UK Conservatives Hit
Historic Low in Polls
Oct 21, 2022 9:12 AM CDT
UK Conservatives Hit Historic Low in Polls
Truss's successor could face 'extinction level event' in next election
- British Prime Minister Liz Truss resigned on Thursday, her 45th day in office—and whoever her successor is, they will have a tough task rebuilding support for the country's Conservative Party. With Boris Johnson at the helm, the party swept to its biggest victory in decades in the December...
Lettuce That 'Beat' Truss
Gets Its Star Turn in London
Oct 21, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
Lettuce That 'Beat' Truss Gets Its Star Turn in London
It got beamed onto Houses of Parliament Thursday night
The story of how a head of lettuce has shown up soon-to-be ex-UK Prime Minister Liz Truss romaines top news. The Independent reports that hours after Truss announced her resignation on Thursday, an image of the now-infamous piece of produce was beamed onto London's Houses of Parliament at...
Liz Truss Still Eligible
for Hefty Annual Allowance
Oct 20, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Liz Truss Still Eligible for Hefty Annual Allowance
All former prime ministers can collect yearly sum of about $130K
- Liz Truss may be having a miserable day, but Insider takes note of a possible silver lining: Despite lasting as UK prime minister for only six weeks , she is still eligible to collect a handsome annual allowance of 115,000 British pounds, the equivalent of about $129,000 American. Under...
On the Short List to Replace
Liz Truss Is a Familiar Face
Oct 20, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
On the Short List to Replace Liz Truss Is a Familiar Face
Boris Johnson is expected to stand for the post as UK prime minister
- Liz Truss is out as UK prime minister after only six weeks. Might Boris Johnson be back in the post before the end of the month? As the ruling Conservative Party scrambles to pick a new leader, Johnson—who resigned amid scandal in July—appears to be on everybody's...
British PM Liz Truss Resigns,
Makes History in Doing So
Oct 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
British PM Liz Truss Resigns, Makes History in Doing So
She was on the job for just 45 days
- Liz Truss has made history, though likely not in the way she had hoped. CNBC and the AP report that the British prime minister resigned on Thursday after weeks of upheaval sparked by her economic plan, announced last month and since largely abandoned after it spooked financial markets. What you...
for Liz Truss
Oct 18, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
It's Looking Increasingly Bad for Liz Truss
Potential rule change could mean no-confidence vote as some Tories call for resignation
- After just five weeks in the job of UK prime minister, Liz Truss has faced disaster after disaster to the point that "five of the PM's own MPs have called publicly on her to resign, with others briefing journalists that they think her time in office is up,...
Truss Fires Treasury Chief,
Does 180 on Tax Cuts
Oct 14, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Truss Fires Treasury Chief, Does 180 on Tax Cuts
Kwasi Kwarteng is out after just over 5 weeks on the job, as PM tries to keep her own
- Embattled British Prime Minister Liz Truss sacked her Treasury chief and reversed course on sweeping tax cuts Friday as she tried to hang on to her job after weeks of financial-market turmoil. At a hastily arranged news conference, she said she was acting to "reassure the markets of our...
King Charles' Words to
Truss Have People Buzzing
Oct 13, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
King Charles' Words to Truss Have People Buzzing
Were his comments 'political,' or maybe 'empathetic'?
- An awkward greeting from King Charles on Wednesday is one indication of just how bad Liz Truss' four weeks in office have been. In her first weekly audience with the monarch at Buckingham Palace, the prime minister curtseyed, saying, "Lovely to see you again." At the same time,...
A Different 'Liz Truss' Is
Having a Busy Week on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
A Different 'Liz Truss' Is Having a Busy Week on Twitter
Liz Trussell jokes about congratulations from world leaders
- Tuesday was a big day for Liz Truss, who became Britain's new prime minister —and it was another busy day on Twitter for a woman named Liz Trussell, who has had the @LizTruss handle on Twitter since 2009. Trussell was tagged in numerous posts from Truss supporters—and...
Liz Truss's Challenge:
Elected by 0.5% of Nation
Sep 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Liz Truss's Challenge: Elected by 0.5% of Nation
New British PM will be under pressure to deliver quickly or call an early election
- Liz Truss became UK prime minister on Tuesday and immediately confronted the enormous task ahead of her to curb soaring prices, ease labor unrest, and fix a health care system burdened by long waiting lists and staff shortages. At the top of her inbox is the energy crisis triggered by...
In Britain's Top 4 Positions,
a Historically Different Look
Sep 6, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
In Britain's Top 4 Positions, a Historically Different Look
None of the posts will be filled by a white man for the first time
- Liz Truss became Britain's third female prime minister on Tuesday, after Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May. But the
notes another related milestone: Based on Truss' expected Cabinet picks, none of the four top positions in Britain's government will be held by a white man for the first...
Comparing Himself to 'Booster
Rocket,' Johnson Blasts Off
Sep 6, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Comparing Himself to 'Booster Rocket,' Johnson Blasts Off
British PM makes final speech, urges Brits to support successor Liz Truss
- In Britain, it's a day for the changing of the guard. Boris Johnson was formally tendering his resignation to the queen as he urged the nation to support his successor, Liz Truss . "This is it, folks," the 58-year-old Johnson said in his final speech before stepping down,...
Britain Has Chosen
Its New Prime Minister
Sep 5, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Britain Has Chosen Its New Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss chosen to lead Conservative Party over Rishi Sunak
- Britain's Conservative Party has chosen Foreign Secretary Liz Truss as the party's new leader, putting her in line to be confirmed as prime minister. Truss' selection was announced Monday in London after a leadership election in which only the 180,000 dues-paying members of the Conservative Party were...
UK Candidates' Debate
Halted After Host Faints
Jul 26, 2022 5:29 PM CDT
UK Candidates' Debate Halted After Host Faints
A loud crash was heard as Liz Truss spoke
- A loud crash was heard—and then the debate was canceled. The second head-to-head debate between the two Conservative Party lawmakers seeking to become Britain's next prime minister came to an abrupt end Tuesday night when the host fainted off-camera, the
reports. Video shows candidate Liz Truss's...
Words to Parliament:
'Hasta la Vista, Baby'
Jul 20, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Johnson's Final Words to Parliament: 'Hasta la Vista, Baby'
Also on Wednesday, the final 2 candidates to replace Johnson as PM are chosen
- After five rounds of voting, the race to replace Boris Johnson is down to the final two candidates: Rishi Sunak, whose resignation as finance minister helped trigger an avalanche of resignations that led to Johnson's downfall, and Liz Truss, the Johnson administration's foreign minister. Trade minister Penny Mordaunt...
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.